Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So.

In recent times I've been astoundingly hit-and-miss when it comes to getting posts done for the various internet elf games I'm participating in. More miss than hit, really. When inspiration strikes I can get poo poo done, but when it doesn't, the Fields of Posting lie fallow. For weeks, if not longer, as you're all well aware at this point. And while I could stress that as far as September at least is concerned my lack of activity has little to do with the game itself, let alone its players, what difference would that really make? The ultimate lack of posts by yours truly remains the same, and hardly acceptable even by the sluggish standards I've come to set over the years.

Perhaps more importantly, though, I've…kinda fallen out of love with the whole crunch aspect of D&D 4E, particularly with putting together the combat maps that are pretty much required by the system. I genuinely used to enjoy this in spite of how much work it could be (the most recent map, of the githyanki battleship, has close to one hundred layers), but at some point, for reasons I'm not prepared to put my finger on, it turned into an absolute slog. something the mere thought of doing induced an almost physical urge to procrastinate. Anything but spending time on futzing around with a map.

All of which calls the continued viability and existence of this game into question. After over a decade, more than 4000 posts, and a character roster numbering precisely two dozen current and past heroes, it thus seems to me that, perhaps, the time has finally come to pull the plug on The September Procession. At this point I frankly can't do it justice as a 4E game any more, if nothing else, nor can I really see myself regaining my former posting focus (comparatively speaking at least) any time soon. I know the veterans among you are sadly used to my generally snail-like pace, but even so I feel like a line ought to be drawn somewhere.

This isn't easy for me, don't get me wrong. Not to the point of any maudlin "the game has been a part of my life for ten years" sentiments, mind you, but I suppose one can't keep a play-by-post game going for such a long time without growing at least a little attached to it in a nerdy sort of way. Which is why I would like to invite everybody's earnest thoughts and opinions on where we should be going from here, if anywhere at all, because it's really your game as much as mine. (And several of you have been here for ages! Dallan has been part of September from the very beginning, of course, and Robodog joined us in 2012, but even Klingon has been with us for very nearly four years now, far longer than many PbP games ever last in the first place.)

So, yeah. Let's talk about this, assuming any of you feel there's something left worth talking about. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Couldn't you have brought this forward before instead of making the pace so glacial that whenever someone posted once a month, I was suddenly reminded that I'm playing this?

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

MMAgCh posted:

So.

In recent times I've been astoundingly hit-and-miss when it comes to getting posts done for the various internet elf games I'm participating in. More miss than hit, really. When inspiration strikes I can get poo poo done, but when it doesn't, the Fields of Posting lie fallow. For weeks, if not longer, as you're all well aware at this point. And while I could stress that as far as September at least is concerned my lack of activity has little to do with the game itself, let alone its players, what difference would that really make? The ultimate lack of posts by yours truly remains the same, and hardly acceptable even by the sluggish standards I've come to set over the years.

Perhaps more importantly, though, I've…kinda fallen out of love with the whole crunch aspect of D&D 4E, particularly with putting together the combat maps that are pretty much required by the system. I genuinely used to enjoy this in spite of how much work it could be (the most recent map, of the githyanki battleship, has close to one hundred layers), but at some point, for reasons I'm not prepared to put my finger on, it turned into an absolute slog. something the mere thought of doing induced an almost physical urge to procrastinate. Anything but spending time on futzing around with a map.

All of which calls the continued viability and existence of this game into question. After over a decade, more than 4000 posts, and a character roster numbering precisely two dozen current and past heroes, it thus seems to me that, perhaps, the time has finally come to pull the plug on The September Procession. At this point I frankly can't do it justice as a 4E game any more, if nothing else, nor can I really see myself regaining my former posting focus (comparatively speaking at least) any time soon. I know the veterans among you are sadly used to my generally snail-like pace, but even so I feel like a line ought to be drawn somewhere.

This isn't easy for me, don't get me wrong. Not to the point of any maudlin "the game has been a part of my life for ten years" sentiments, mind you, but I suppose one can't keep a play-by-post game going for such a long time without growing at least a little attached to it in a nerdy sort of way. Which is why I would like to invite everybody's earnest thoughts and opinions on where we should be going from here, if anywhere at all, because it's really your game as much as mine. (And several of you have been here for ages! Dallan has been part of September from the very beginning, of course, and Robodog joined us in 2012, but even Klingon has been with us for very nearly four years now, far longer than many PbP games ever last in the first place.)

So, yeah. Let's talk about this, assuming any of you feel there's something left worth talking about. :shobon:
Would it help any if we went over to that other system you mentioned a while back? I definitely enjoy 4e a lot but I enjoy everyone's characters even more.

Plutonis posted:

Couldn't you have brought this forward before instead of making the pace so glacial that whenever someone posted once a month, I was suddenly reminded that I'm playing this?
It didn't occur to you that a game running for 10 years might be a little slow? lol

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Plutonis posted:

For the longest time I was genuinely hopeful that I might manage to bestir myself. I apologise if you feel like I’ve been stringing you along or anything like that. :smith:

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Would it help any if we went over to that other system you mentioned a while back? I definitely enjoy 4e a lot but I enjoy everyone's characters even more.
Godbound? I suppose that might be doable, though it may be a little tricky to accurately replicate some of the characters’ core capabilities in it. Figuring out a whole new system is also something I’m sure not everybody would be cool with – not that I’d blame them. Apart from that I have no strong feelings either way about the matter, to be honest.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I haven't played Godbound but I know that the rules are quick and easy for the most part. You don't need 1:1 replication of stuff, just accept that there's stuff lost in a rules change. :shrug:

4e fight planning is real awful so if not having to do that take some pressure off then Godbound could help a lot. Or if you want to call it then that's fine, no worries.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I guess that's true, yeah – gotta make a compromise or two somewhere. We should be able to make do, though!

While we wait for our remaining players to weigh in, here's a link to the free edition of Godbound, which is all we'd need to get started.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I like Godbound theoretically, but I'm not sure I like it for a D&D setting; so if that's the choice y'all are making I wish you luck but I'll bow out.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Well if you're not going to be maudlin about it then I WILL. :colbert: Whatever you guys decide, I was here at the beginning and I'll be here at the end, whatever sort of end it is.

Honestly I am fine with a system switch (I will give Godbound a look but on the surface I can see how it would fit these characters - though perhaps sommething like 13th Age would still be lighter in the problematic areas and also better for a D&D setting?) but I could certainly understand if you weren't up to continuing at all, it's been a literal decade and we've come a long way and burnout Is Real, and heaven knows I have killed my share of games on that basis.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I could be a lazy oval office and just c+p wot atl and dallan said but being last one in i kinda should put more :words: in i guess.

First and foremost is you looking after yourself. If things are bad for you and to make it better for your personal situation you need to not have a stupid elfgame to GM, put a bullet in it and be done. Some half measure that does nothing to fundamentally fix the problems you have and simply stringing out this poo poo and making yourself miserable for X more months won't do nobody any good. It might be sad but if you gotta kill it, do it.

If it is more a matter of 4e being the anchor weighing everything down and simply writing out the actual talky words game poo poo is fine, then I think we can talk about a system change in earnest. I have always hated 4e with a passion, jimmyrigging the loving char builder together with glue and string just to add on items and poo poo. gently caress it. Compared to that I could not care less about any other system we may switch to. In purely game terms I feel we do need some kind of mechanical representation to our levels, what with our characters being Real Big Powerful Deals and all, so a system would need to be able to action that. 13th Age or Godbound or third/fourth option, whichever. But it is primarily the characters and the interpersonal mingling and plots that make the game in the end, that can work with anything.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Wahad posted:

I like Godbound theoretically, but I'm not sure I like it for a D&D setting; so if that's the choice y'all are making I wish you luck but I'll bow out.
We would, of course, be using the Godbound system strictly for its game mechanics (and most likely not even all of them – Dominion/Influence seem largely superfluous in a non-sandbox game, for instance) while retaining the fluff and setting details of the game as it is right now. There's no arguing that Godbound only bears a vague similarity to the earliest D&D editions at best, though, so I understand the way you feel about it.

Anyway, 13th Age is something that had admittedly not occurred to me, even though I'd cribbed its escalation die mechanic for this game in the past. It looks suitable enough in general and hews pretty close to the overall D&D feel, but personally I have zero practical experience with it. Have any of you played it before, and if yes, what do you think about it? How much of a disaster would I be setting myself up for by starting a 13th Age game at level 7–8 as a complete GMing greenhorn?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hey guys. Been awhile, and I just randomly happened to click on this thread, not knowing that I was hitting things up at the end (maybe), but I started playing this game at a very weird time in my life and for awhile y’all weirdos (Mmagch, Dallan, Robo, and archimage) in particular seemed like the only friends I had. Anyway, it would be over dramatic to say that posting with you folks saved my life, but it sure helped when help was what I needed. Anybody involved should be proud of it, and Mma is a legit aces human being and creator (holy poo poo 10 years?).

Much love,

Jack

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
re: MMA -- I'm down to puzzle out a high level goudbound sheet if I gotta. Far from ideal but also I doubt we would need the pure combat minmaxing that we all had to put down for 4e so it should work out.

re: navyjack -- Navy!!! All of that back to you too mate. I know this game and the one you ran and the couple others we were both in really were key for me giving a poo poo about things in general and wanting to put real effort into this stuff just to match what you were putting out. u rok

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

navyjack posted:

Hey guys. Been awhile, and I just randomly happened to click on this thread, not knowing that I was hitting things up at the end (maybe), but I started playing this game at a very weird time in my life and for awhile y’all weirdos (Mmagch, Dallan, Robo, and archimage) in particular seemed like the only friends I had. Anyway, it would be over dramatic to say that posting with you folks saved my life, but it sure helped when help was what I needed. Anybody involved should be proud of it, and Mma is a legit aces human being and creator (holy poo poo 10 years?).

Much love,

Jack
Navy! It's good to hear from you. Occasionally I still look back fondly on the good times we had together in all those games (which are really almost too numerous to list!), and it's great that they had an actual positive effect on the life of at least one person rather than having been "only" fun. Though I feel like you are giving me rather too much credit there, honestly. And, yeah, ten years! If I'm not mistaken Dallan became, like, an actual lawyer during that time. It's a little scary to think about, almost. D: Anyway, it was great of you to drop by even if you've moved on from all the dungeoning and dragoning. Don't be a stranger!

Now, as for this game! My 13th Age suggestion not having been met with thunderous approval exactly, I suppose we'll be giving Godbound a try after all! I am very sorry if this turns anyone off the game, but if a system change might keep me from having to take the game out behind the barn I feel almost obliged to try it.

As such, those of you who are still with me and willing to give Godbound a try should go grab the free core rules and acquaint yourselves with them! I believe that level 3 should be a good point for kicking things off, but before I elaborate too much on the whole character creation deal I'll wait and see how many takers there even remain apart from Robodog!

That said, if there are any questions, I'll be here to address them!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
All the oldtimers out here trying to out-maudlin me GODDAMNIT. It's good to hear from you too, navy, nostalgia and all. I don't know how much of how my life's gone over the past decade or so is attributable to elfgames (aside from the A in Statutory Interpretation that I blame entirely on rules-lawyering debates) but they sure as hell made it easier to cope with.

Anyway, re 13A: I honestly haven't gotten to play it myself live or PbP and wasn't really familiar with it besides the things we've already cribbed from it, so I wasn't really in a position to answer your questions besides what I'd already said (maybe the thread in the main TG forum would be?). That said, I'm happy to give Godbound a try if that's what the rest of you prefer. I''ve already grabbed the pdf so I can throw something together.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 12, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I'm down for godbound, I'll get that fixed up in a bit

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Oh! Before anyone gets too deep into character creation, I should note that I intend to give every PC one homebrewed* bonus Word reflecting a core element of his/her identity, such as Iira's possessing the power of the White Well. This too is something we can discuss as necessary!

* Really just consisting of re-skinned extant gifts unless a given concept can't be made to work otherwise, but you get the idea.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
I am down with godbound and will put up a quick sheet in a bit.

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Okay here is a real fast and dirty W.I.P sheet for Iira, mostly just so we can all make sure we're not overlapping on words or gifts or anything. The way I got this laid out I can spy pretty good (of course) have good movement and can mass mob kill. I think that covers the main areas I aimed for in 4e. Also the white well word MMA worked out a bit for me.

Iira’Greyica

Level 3 Godbound (6/12 XP)

Facts

- Drow urchin who grew up on the rough streets of the Spire of Outcasts
- Spellsword trooper in the Great House Tormtor
- Became Champion for the daughter of Sehanine, the Lady of the White Well
- Destabilised the city of Erelhei-Cinlue and aided in the liberation of Senaliesse against githyanki forces
- Apotheosis to demigodhood

Words & Gifts 10 / 10 points

Alacrity

quote:

The Word of swiftness and impossible grace, Alacrity grants miracles of haste to the hero who possesses it. Miracles of its power might involve completing a particular task in but moments, evading some otherwise-inescapable peril, or responding to an event before its enactor can even begin. Alacrity is not Journeying, however, and its movement tends to be restricted to a single particular place or a short distance rather than swift transit between far-flung locations.

Heroes with the Alacrity Word cannot be surprised. They may increase their Dexterity to 16, or to 18 if it’s already 16 or higher.

All Directions as One - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

You can navigate vertical or overhanging surfaces as if they were flat ground. You can pass through rough terrain effortlessly. You have an invulnerable defense against being pushed or made to fall.

Flickering Advance - Lesser Gift - On Turn

quote:

Commit Effort to scene end. Instantly reach any location you can see with your unaided sight out to the horizon, which is usually about three miles away for a character standing on flat terrain. From a high elevation, the maximum range is ten times as far.

Walk Between the Rain - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

Your natural armour class is 3. You cannot be hit by anything not driven by a purpose unless you allow it; falling objects will never strike you unless some will to harm you set them in motion. Traps meant to hit an intruder have a chance to hit you. Armour or shields don't benefit this base AC.

Deception

quote:

The arts of Deception are those of stealth, illusion, and lies. A masterful trickster is skilled at detecting impositions as well as uttering them, and their miracles may have to do with revealing deceit as well as impressing it on the minds of others. Gifts of stealth and concealment usually apply as long as the hero is avoiding attention and acting discreetly. Violence, loud noises, and directly exposing themselves to guards or other vigilant sorts risks the loss of concealment.

Heroes with the Deception Word may raise either their Dexterity or Charisma to 16, depending on whether they favour stealth or lies. If either score is already 16 or higher, they may set it to 18 instead.

Deceiver’s Unblinking Eye - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

You can always tell when someone’s trying to lie to you or deceive you. You can see through mortal illusions and disguises. This gift does not affect other Godbound with the Deception Word.

Excellence of the Word (Charisma) - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

Choose one attribute score and raise it to 18. This excellence is usually coloured by the Word that grants it; Fire that grants Dexterity might cause sparks to be left behind swift motion, while Earth that grants Wisdom might lend a ponderous and steady tint to your thoughts. This gift may only be taken once, regardless of how many Words your hero has bound

Perfect Masquerade - Lesser Gift - On Turn

quote:

Commit Effort. Instantly appear as any humanoid you have seen. Only worthy foes or those with significant personal knowledge of the individual have any chance to make a Spirit save against the deception unless you do something egregiously out of character. You instinctively mimic voice, clothing, mannerisms, and expected habits of behaviour.

Veiled Step - Lesser Gift - On Turn

quote:

Commit Effort. Lesser foes have no chance to detect you so long as you stay out of their immediate presence and don’t draw attention. Worthy foes can try a Spirit save to resist when you are near.

Sword

quote:

The Word of the Sword is that of melee combat, of direct struggle between the Godbound and their foes. Miracles of the Sword involve unerring strokes, tremendous blows, or marvellous escapes from harm in battle. While potent, these miracles do not work at range.

Heroes with the Sword Word treat all their weapon or unarmed attacks as magical, cannot be disarmed, and can summon any melee weapon they’ve ever used immediately to hand as an Instant action.

Steel Without End - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

All your melee weapon attacks are treated as magic weapons doing a 1d10+1 damage die, including unarmed attacks. As with all weapon-boosting gifts, you may use any attribute to modify attacks made in this way, provided you can explain how it is relevant to your style.

Cutting the Crimson Road - Greater Gift - On Turn

quote:

Commit Effort. Against foes of half or fewer hit dice than you have levels, to a minimum of 1, your melee damage rolls are read straight and always maximized. The overflow can be applied against any other foes that fit the conditions and are within 10 feet. Against Mobs made up of applicable creatures, you instead simply roll your damage die straight without maximizing it. This gift does not affect Fray dice.

White Well

quote:

This Word marks its possessor as a champion of the Lady of the White Well. She is the daughter of Sehanine, goddess of the moon, and the Word embodies many of the aspects traditionally ascribed to that ancient celestial body. Amongst these are light, hope, vision and purity, and so miracles of the White Well might be used to break spells, reveal truths, give hope, or blast the impure with torrents of holy flame. Naught may be concealed from the calm gaze of the moon, and gifts of vision also fall under this sphere.

Heroes with the White Well Word may shed moonlight at will up to 200 feet, cannot be blinded or their vision impaired by darkness or mists, and have an invincible defence against radiant damage. Their vision can pierce blindfolds or survive even the physical removal of their eyes.

Ethereal Sidestep - Lesser Gift - Instant

quote:

Commit Effort for the scene to negate a single physical attack against you that could theoretically be dodged. If it was an area-effect attack, you deftly reposition yourself just outside of the peril.

Sword of the White Well - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

As a free action, you may summon the Sword of the White Well to your hand or dismiss it. A slender blade of pure moonlight, it is treated as a magic weapon that deals 1d10 radiant damage [superseded by Steel Without End] and grants the ability to hurl bolts of divine radiance at targets up to 100 feet away, also dealing 1d10 radiant damage. Brightly through the blade glows, it never gives away your position unless you wish it. Additionally, if you are hit by a melee attack you may Commit Effort to scene’s end as an Instant action to deal 1d6+1 radiant damage to the attacker and take half damage from all further attacks until the start of your next turn.

pre:
Attributes & Statistics (dex starts at 8, boost to 16 with alacrity, boost to 18 with deception fyi)

STR	14	7 / +1	<- number i need to hit or higher / the attribute modifier
CON	16	5 / +2
DEX	18	3 / +3
INT	13	8 / +1
WIS	13	8 / +1
CHA	18	3 / +3

HP		20
AC		0	<- lower is better, gotta nat 20 or have to hit bonuses to hurt me suck it losers
Hardiness	11	<- Sav
Evasion		10	<- Ing
Spirit		10	<- Throws
Effort		4	<- What you commit for certain words and gifts to fire
BAB		+3	<- bonus vs armour bonus which we all have at 3 because of increased starting level
Dominion	0	<- the points to make huge world altering changes
Influence	4/4	<- the points to sustain personal long term projects and magic poo poo
Wealth		0	<- I actually had like, a whole tower full of poo poo in the 4e sheet so we gotta figure this one out

Attacks

Weapon		Range	Attack	Damage	Properties
Fray die	Sight	/	1d8	Special
Melee Weapons	Melee	+4	1d10+4	Magical

Robodog fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 17, 2019

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
stealing that sheet, Vihn is basically going to be a plot greaser private eye with all the sickest jedi mind tricks used to cause chaos and do petty crime

Vihn

Level 3 Trash Panda(6/12 XP)

Facts

- a war orphan familiar
- big criminal mastermind
- retired from his work as head of an interplanar organized crime ring
- lazily turned himself in to an order of paladins and is trying to repent
- worked as a fey queen's fixer

Madness

quote:

Godbound of Madness have an invulnerable defense against mindor emotion-affecting or reading powers. Any attempt to use such powers against the Godbound results in the assailant immediately suffering 1d6 mental damage per character level if the Godbound so wishes. As a Main Action, the Godbound can study a creature and identify any significant mental illnesses, getting a one-sentence description of each.

Insane Logic - Greater Gift - Constant

quote:

Lesser foes will never consider your actions to be unreasonable or inappropriate while you are in their presence. They will fight to defend themselves and their loved ones, and will resist attempts to blatantly rob them or do them harm, but at no point will they perceive your actions to be illicit or irrational. At the very least, they will consider you to belong wherever you happen to be and to have a right to do whatever it is you're doing. They may realize the unnatural character of these thoughts after you are no longer present.

Infectious Delirium - Greater Gift - Action

quote:

Commit Effort for the day and target a visible creature, indicating a particular obsession, false belief, or other insanity that should afflict it. Any creature who sees the affected target must make a Spirit saving throw or be likewise infected with the madness, each becoming a new vector for the insanity. A successful save makes the target immune to this infection. You may indicate what kind of people are to be affected by the insanity, either individual names, classes, or geographic areas. At most two hundred people can be so infected at first level, doubling each level afterwards. The madness cannot induce suicidal behavior, but it can force victims to act to the limits of their natural character.

Theft

quote:

Those bound to the Word of Theft can invariably pick any mundane lock, evade any mundane trap, and sneak past or pickpocket any lesser foe with no chance of failure, provided they do so with some modicum of discretion. They may overcome magical locks, traps and barriers by Committing Effort for the scene.

Heist in Hell - Greater Gift - Constant

quote:

Whenever the Godbound wishes to steal something, they immediately get a general idea of its location and how to get to the structure or location where it is held. This ability reaches even to other realms, but it can only be used to find objects or persons that are being held or guarded; things that are merely lost cannot be so located. If the Godbound wants to steal a type of thing rather than a specific object, the power directs them to the nearest valid target. This gift can theoretically target the soul of a mortal imprisoned in Hell, but not one resting peacefully in the grave. This gift cannot be used as a miracle.

The Prowling Power - Lesser Gift - Constant

quote:

The Godbound is capable of scaling sheer surfaces or overhangs as if they were flat ground. Their innate stealth now works against worthy foes as well, though such entities have a Spirit save to notice the Godbound if the hero does something that might draw their attention.

War

quote:

Set INT to 16. They automatically grant a Morale score of 12 to all allied NPCs under their command. Many of their gifts apply to soldiers in their service, a status which includes any creature armed for military service who considers itself subject to the Godbound's orders. PCs are never included in this definition, but can still qualify as companions.

Know the Terrain - Lesser Gift - Action

quote:

You concentrate briefly and get a perfect mental map of the terrain around you in a radius of two miles per character level. This map makes you aware of any Mob-sized collection of creatures of interest to you and gives you a perfect awareness of the locations of any of your soldiers, regardless of their distance from you. The resolution of this mental map is fine enough to identify weak points in a structure's fortifications, but it is not sufficiently fine-grained to serve as an internal map of a constructed building.

Strategic Insight - Lesser Gift - Action

quote:

Target a visible group of armed creatures. You immediately become as fully aware of the group's goals and intended tactics as the best-informed leader among them. Thus, if you target an army containing an enemy grand marshal, you might get the foe's full strategic outline.

Will of the Spear Throne - Lesser Gift - Action

quote:

With a brief moment of focus, you can make mental contact with any individual soldier or particular unit in your service, communicating and issuing commands as you wish and sharing their senses as you desire. You have a constant low-level awareness of the condition and activities of soldiers in your command, and may choose to be alerted to any particular events. Your soldiers are not magically compelled to carry out your commands, but will do so in all normal situations.

Beasts

quote:

Heroes with the Beast Word can speak to animals. Unintelligent beasts will always comply with requests that aren't unnatural to them.
Ten Thousand Skins, except you can only turn into a trash panda
Link of Unity with thrall

pre:
Attributes & Statistics (int starts at 8, boost to 16 with war)

STR	10	11 / +0	<- number i need to hit or higher / the attribute modifier
CON	14	7 / +1
DEX	13	8 / +1
INT	16	5 / +2
WIS	13	8 / +1
CHA	16	5 / +2

HP		19
AC		6	<- weenie hut jr ac
Hardiness	12	<- Sav
Evasion		11	<- Ing
Spirit		11	<- Throws
Effort		4	<- What you commit for certain words and gifts to fire
BAB		+2	<- bonus vs armour bonus which we all have at 3 because of increased starting level
Dominion	0	<- the points to make huge world altering changes
Influence	2/2	<- the points to sustain personal long term projects and magic poo poo
Wealth		0	<- everything is free for me, also im the store owner now, thanks Insane Logic

Attacks

Weapon		Range	Attack	Damage	Properties
Fray die	Sight	/	1d8	Special
Melee Weapons	Melee	+1	1d6	Magical

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 16, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Just a FYI because i forgot to increase my HP and decrease my saving throws from new sheet levels, we gotta make sure these are applied to any base new sheet levels x2 for starting at 3.

the godbound book posted:

• Their attack bonus increases by 1.
• Their maximum hit points increase by 4, plus half of their Constitution modifier, rounded upward.
• Their maximum Effort and Influence increase by 1.
• Their saving throw scores each decrease by 1.
• They add a new Fact related to their adventures or deeds.

e: also also https://www.dropbox.com/s/3ci65y6qo59wptv/Godbound%20Deluxe%20Version.pdf?dl=0 and https://www.dropbox.com/s/60ruqussc5w2diw/Lexicon_Of_The_Throne_061418.pdf?dl=0 for those who dont have them

Robodog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 24, 2019

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Okay, well Landra and Iira are likely to overlap a bit since every set of Words I can come up with for Landra's concept involve Alacrity and Sword, but I'll be editing a sheet into this space ideally today (if work is slow enough).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 10, 2019

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Atlatl and Dallan, we need to decide what your characters' bonus words should be! The prime candidates for these are fundamental aspects of your characters that aren't neatly covered by any existing words. Robodog's White Well word is a pretty good example – the magic Iira was granted and the things it does aren't particularly homogeneous, so it's best pieced together in a custom word.

Any thoughts on what yours should be? For Vihn I'm thinking it could be something related to his shapeshifting ability, while for Landra the word might cover her winter fey heritage. I am open to suggestions!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I feel like shapeshifting would be good, yeah. Most of the stuff related to that in the book had some sort of baggage attached to it for combat or other function. Most of the psion mentalist stuff is covered alright already.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I was thinking the same thing for Landra's bonus word. There's apparently actually a Word of Winter (and also a word of the Faerie Queen) in a supplemental Godbound book, or there are some powers from (eg. Sky) that can be reskinned. I'll post my sheet tonight.

Should we be proposing the entire power set for a custom Word or just the ones we're choosing at chargen?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

Okay, well Landra and Iira are likely to overlap a bit since every set of Words I can come up with for Landra's concept involve Alacrity and Sword, but I'll be editing a sheet into this space ideally today (if work is slow enough).

Reader, it was not at all slow enough, but here we are:

Landra

Level 3 Godbound (6/12 XP)

Facts

- Fact 1 <- She was born of an illicit union between a Summer Court noble daughter and a Winter Court diplomat, and she was accepted and raised by her mother's family and grew up steeped in the social graces of the fey - but that acceptance was not universal and she has had to learn how to discern friend from enemy - and, notoriously, fought more than her share of duels with the latter sort.

- Fact 2 <- She joined an expeditionary force from her home plane to support allies in a great war on the mortal world of Noremien, distinguished herself in that conflict through swift and decisive actions, and, at war's end, stayed on that world (accounts differ as to whether it was her choice or a subtle exile) - first serving the allied queen as a court swordmaster, and then after her death, supporting a libertine lifestyle through adventuring and teaching swordsmanship.

- Fact 3 <- Unexpectedly brought back to her home plane by the current crisis, she has earned the beginnings of grudging respect of some Summer fey for her assistance against the invaders - and the eagerly renewed envy and hatred of others. Meanwhile, she is being sounded out by some vassals of the Winter court who believe that she might just be a better vessel for their fealty than the current archfey they serve.

- Fact 4 <- Decades after the war, she helped free the tormented ghost of a fey general who had been bound in the castle where she had died by terrible magic and worse guilt. Said ghost still travels alongside her, imbuing one of her weapons and occasionally offering her insight.

Winter Court

(Innate gift and first gift are from the Winter word in the Lexicon of the Throne supplement, which made my life a lot easier)

code:
Godbound of Winter have an invulnerable immunity to cold and
ice. As a Main Action, they can freeze objects and surroundings
within 30 feet; creatures not impervious to cold suffer 1 point of
damage, while Mobs suffer 3. A creature or Mob can only suffer
this damage once per scene. As an Action, they may conjure simple
physical tools and objects out of ice within 30 feet, though such
structures cannot serve as effective barriers to a determined foe.
Unbroken Ice (Lesser, Constant)

code:
The Godbound's hard flesh has a natural AC of 3, and their bottomless
chill grants an invulnerable immunity to fire.
(these two gifts are from Passion)

Terrifying Mien (Lesser, Action)

code:
Commit Effort to the end of the scene. All NPC foes who can see or
hear you, must instantly make a Morale check. Lesser foes roll this at
a -2 penalty. Foes that fail this check will usually flee in terror, albeit
those without a means of escape might surrender on the spot. This
gift can be used against a foe only once per scene, and PCs are immune.
Follow the Threads (Lesser, Action)

code:
You may study a target for one action to identify the half-dozen people
most emotionally significant to them, learning their appearance, the
name the target knows them as, and a few words of description of
the bond between them. Lesser foes cannot resist this, while worthy
foes can save versus Spirit to maintain their secrets.
Alacrity

(Cannot be surprised, stat increase noted)

Flickering Advance (Lesser, On Turn)

code:
Commit Effort to scene end. Instantly reach any location you can see
with your unaided sight out to the horizon, which is usually about
three miles away for a character standing on flat terrain. From a high
elevation, the maximum range is ten times as far.
Faster than Thought (Greater, Instant, Smite)

code:
Commit Effort to scene end when anyone visible declares an action.
You get a free round’s action and movement before they can perform
their act. If their desired action is rendered impossible by yours, their
action is wasted. As a Smite gift, this can't be used two rounds in a row..
All Directions As One (Lesser, Constant)

code:
You can navigate vertical or overhanging surfaces as if they were flat
ground. You can pass through rough terrain effortlessly. You have an
invulnerable defense against being pushed or made to fall.
Sword

code:
Heroes with the Sword Word treat all their weapon or unarmed
attacks as magical, cannot be disarmed, and can summon any melee
weapon they’ve ever used immediately to hand as an Instant action.
Nine Iron Walls (Lesser, Instant)

code:
Commit Effort for the scene. You have an invincible defense against
all physical attacks until the start of your next round. This defense
does not apply to environmental hazards, spells, or other non-attack
forms of harm. As with all Instants, this can be used even after an
assailant has rolled a successful hit.
Unerring Blade (Lesser, Instant)

code:
Commit Effort to the scene’s end. Your current or next melee attack
hits on anything but a natural roll of 1 and does maximum damage.
This strike can penetrate any protection short of an invincible defense
against the weapon being used.
Command

(stat increase noted)

code:
Heroes with the Command word may communicate with any intelligent
creature, understanding them and being understood in turn.
Their commands are always correctly understood, though obedience
will depend on their eloquence or the use of their gifts.
Know the Inner Truth (Lesser, On Turn)
code:
Commit Effort for the scene. Understand the true motivations and
intentions of any conversational partner, expressed by the GM in a few
sentences. Worthy foes get a Spirit saving throw to conceal the truth.
pre:
Attributes & Statistics (

(Dex starts at 16, boost to 18 with alacrity)
(Cha starts at 8, boost to 16 with command)

STR 14 7 / +1 <- number i need to hit or higher / the attribute modifier
CON 13 8 / +1
DEX 18 3 / +3
INT 13 8 / +1
WIS 10 11 / +0
CHA 16 5 / +2

HP 19
AC 0 <- (natural AC 3, +3 Dex)
Hardiness 12 <- Sav
Evasion 10 <- Ing
Spirit 11 <- Throws
Effort 4/4 <- What you commit for certain words and gifts to fire
BAB +3
Dominion 0 <- the points to make huge world altering changes
Influence 4/4 <- the points to sustain personal long term projects and magic poo poo
Wealth 0

Gear

Armor (light armor by stats, cosmetically scale, doesn't actually matter due to gifts)
Laughter and Sorrow (dual swords)

Attacks

Weapon Range Attack Damage Properties
Fray die Sight / 1d8 Special

Dual Swords:
Melee +6 1d10, Magical

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 29, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
So all of the words I got on Iira's sheet get doubled up between Trash Panda Vihn and Landra, so I'm thinking I might look at tweaking my stuff a bit?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dallan Invictus posted:

Should we be proposing the entire power set for a custom Word or just the ones we're choosing at chargen?
To clarify, the custom Words are not intended to be exhaustive or fully realised like the ones in the books are. They are more like…containers, I suppose, for a handful of gifts that represent the character's most elementary, innate abilities. As such, they generally won't change post-character creation.

The Winter Court concept works for me. Winter's passive effects and the Unbroken Ice gift we can use just fine, I think, but I'm not sure how appropriate Maw of Winter really is. The Word seems a little short on the "court" front in any case; maybe something like A Thousand Loyal Troops from Command would be more suitable instead?

As for Vihn's custom Word, going with Beasts for its basic effect seems fitting enough. Beyond that, how about Ten Thousand Skins (from Shapeshifting) except limited to a trash panda form, and Beasts' Link of Unity permanently tied to his thrall buddy? Mechanically she might use the Veteran mortal template.

Robodog posted:

So all of the words I got on Iira's sheet get doubled up between Trash Panda Vihn and Landra, so I'm thinking I might look at tweaking my stuff a bit?
Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with this either. Doubling up on the murdery Sword stuff isn't much of a problem, but having Deception present twice isn't ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Both Iira and Vihn are pretty heavy on subterfuge conceptually, so coming up with a replacement Word for one of them would not be easy.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

MMAgCh posted:

As for Vihn's custom Word, going with Beasts for its basic effect seems fitting enough. Beyond that, how about Ten Thousand Skins (from Shapeshifting) except limited to a trash panda form, and Beasts' Link of Unity permanently tied to his thrall buddy? Mechanically she might use the Veteran mortal template.

yeah that sounds good, I didn't want to take those because it's a lot of points just to be a raccoon for laughs

worst case I can change some things to be less subterfugey and more blaster psiony

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

MMAgCh posted:

Yeah, I'm not entirely happy with this either. Doubling up on the murdery Sword stuff isn't much of a problem, but having Deception present twice isn't ideal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Both Iira and Vihn are pretty heavy on subterfuge conceptually, so coming up with a replacement Word for one of them would not be easy.

Iira is more 'take a form and infiltrate a thing' type of deception, Vihn is more 'info gathering and mind stuff' sorta deception. If you can figure out how to break it out like with with another word then we could maybe fix it

For sword doubling up i got nothing though, murder and vengeance in the book are awful and don't fit

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Alright after talking with robo I'm taking War instead of Deception and getting all the cool info gathering stuff from it. I still have some sneaking capability so it's all good.

e: Vihn is just solid snake now. sneaks, auto maps terrain, codec calls everyone constantly, spying on people, lives in a cardboard box, etc

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 25, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
who's the colonel then

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

To clarify, the custom Words are not intended to be exhaustive or fully realised like the ones in the books are. They are more like…containers, I suppose, for a handful of gifts that represent the character's most elementary, innate abilities. As such, they generally won't change post-character creation.

The Winter Court concept works for me. Winter's passive effects and the Unbroken Ice gift we can use just fine, I think, but I'm not sure how appropriate Maw of Winter really is. The Word seems a little short on the "court" front in any case; maybe something like A Thousand Loyal Troops from Command would be more suitable instead?

Oh, okay, I get what you're going for here. In that case I would think that the nature of "winter fey" would be best expressed by combining words from, say, Winter and Passion, rather than Winter and Command - the emotional manipulation aspects etc. Honestly that's most of why I picked the Passion word in the first place.

So I'll shift those two into Winter Court, and take Command as her third word (using the point that went to Maw of Winter). Command gets the same stat increase as Passion anyway (plus a little side benefit) so the math still works out, and while there are a lot of good gifts in there but she can grow into them as she grows into rulership, so....

Robodog posted:

who's the colonel then

I don't play enough MGS to get this reference but, apparently, Landra!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 29, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
*bewildered grunt* rear view camera???

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I didn't understand any of these references. :haw:

Anyway! I don't think there's anything else in need of figuring out, is there? (I'm pretty sure Vihn's HP should be 19, by the way. :ohdear:)

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
yeah you're right, fixed. also yeah I think that's it

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
If we got all the words and gifts figured out and distinct between us and you've GM magiced in the special bonus words for everybody then yeah we're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
So before this game dies an entirely ignoble death by getting auto-archived I want to apologise, for what little that must be worth. (If anyone even is still reading this.)

I was genuinely hoping I'd be able to get my head back in the game, but…I didn't. I dropped the ball, and in the process ended up stringing a lot of people pointlessly along; had several of you recreate your characters in a system that never saw any use, even. For reasons I'd prefer not to guess at, my capability to get poo poo done has been draining away over the last few years, and this game's activity fading accordingly, but somehow I managed to delude myself into thinking I could keep it going/get it going again.

Well, that clearly didn't happen, and I've finally resigned myself to admitting it will never happen. What makes this so hard is that I had a genuinely great time with September, and apart from those unfortunate souls who fell prey to my latest abortive attempt to keep it alive I hope its numerous players did as well. Dallan and Robodog deserve special recognition here, both of whom stuck with me and the game for absolute ages by PbP standards, and perhaps by any standard indeed. I'm sorry your characters' journeys shall remain unfinished, but maybe there's some consolation to be taken from the fact they had a fairly decent run, if nothing else.

There's an eminently sound argument to be made that I should've closed this game a long time ago, but a blend of raw sentimentality and the misguided belief that surely I'd be getting my poo poo together Any Day Now kept me from taking that final, unpleasant step until now. For better or for worse here we are at last, though, and I think there is nothing left for me to say except, again, I'm sorry…and thanks, to all of you who were a part of September Procession and allowed it to run for far longer than I thought my first-ever DMing effort possibly would.