Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

DrNutt posted:

"Perceived Value" isn't cash money and just lmao if you think something like Demon's Souls sold enough PS3s for it to make Sony more money than had they also released it on PC.

And that's not even getting into the fact that we are talking about some type of hypothetical "remastered" version 9 years later.

The souls game have a pretty hardcore niche audience but it's not like, Mario or Zelda, or even Master Chief (before 343 ran that poo poo into the ground).

By hanging on to the Demon's Souls IP and doing nothing with it they are gaining nothing, especially since it's a defunct franchise and From went on to make a ton of multiplat sequels in all but name.

Sony makes money on every game sold on the PS4. Big name exclusives exist to get you to buy into that platform, they're not a game company maximizing profit from each game. Instead they pay game companies to not release prospective blockbusters on other platforms, driving more folks to their platform.

I play PC where I can use mods. I dislike having to buy consoles with all of the attendant badness of a single source walled garden where there's no competitive pressure once you enter. PlayStation is particularly bad: crappy UI, laughably slow downloads, store acts like it was designed by a circuit designer from the 80s, games are expensive compared to PC.

Yet I bought a PS3 for Daemon's Souls and a PS4 Pro for Horizon Zero Dawn - Bloodbourne wasn't enough, but there were a lot more interesting exclusives and a hopefully longer lived console by the time HZD was released.

Daemon's Souls uses the same portable to every platform engine as Dark Souls under the hood. It's unlikely that technology is holding it back from PC or even XBox. Ditto Bloodbourne.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just started a new playthrough yesterday. Ive rushed through the game once with the meat cleaver and now doing a magic playthrough which I havent done in any of Souls games ever.

The game does has that special something which imo Dark Souls doesnt have but I cant put my finger on it. (One thing I definitely do like is the pushing move for extended combos)

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 4, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

ymgve posted:

My test server emulator is up, though population is mostly zero. If you want to help testing, change your PS3 DNS settings to 212.71.239.147 before booting up the game.

Thank you so much for this man, hope more people hear about this. Did you sit on this until the official shutdown or did the timing just happen to work out that you were done at the same time as the official servers?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Waypoint | Maybe We Should Just Let 'Demon's Souls' Die

:what:

On the upside, it did link this pretty good US Gamer feature where the writer made account of their playthrough before the servers shut down: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/we-were-madmen-the-end-demons-souls-online-service-feature-diary

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
video game journalism was a mistake

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Waypoint was so preoccupied with whether or not they could publish the worst take, they didn’t stop to think if they should.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So Waypoint as usual.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
In conclusion Boletaria is a land of contrasts.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why did the author even open their mouth? This could have been 'Demon's Souls is dead and I never played it' and saved everyone a little time.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Because they wanted to share what they thought was an interesting perspective?

I dunno why y'all are going at this article. I don't agree with it either but it didn't hurt anyone, did it

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Amppelix posted:

I dunno why y'all are going at this article. I don't agree with it either but it didn't hurt anyone, did it

It's not an interesting perspective, it's some English major drop out grasping at an excuse to write a ham fisted paragraph about loss

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Amppelix posted:

they can think it's interesting all they want but that doesn't stop it from being the most eye rollingly navel gazey bullshit

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Amppelix posted:

This bit right here:

Waypoint posted:

Video games give us lots of ways of expressing anger. The gunshot or the burst of well-crafted energy that splits enemies in two. They also give us ways of transcending our own death, a kind of ultimate revenge: The respawn, for example, from an extra life we had stuffed own in our pockets. But video games don’t give us a lot of ways of making peace with never having something, or more importantly, losing it. We’re quick to praise a game for its triumphant message of overcoming adversity at all costs, but we rarely talk about games giving us new ways of dealing with loss or a lack of access to something. Games are understood in a way that always allows them to give us something and rarely in a way that thinks of them as objects that take something from us.

Demons’s Souls already have private fan servers that are bringing the hyper-enfranchised players back into the world together. These are people who know enough to go looking for a new world after their old one was killed. They follow in the path of those who have created pirate Everquest and World of Warcraft servers. These universes get saved by heroic individuals who are committed, against all odds and to the bitter end, to preserving them.

But I wonder if the better lesson to learn is one about loss. Maybe it’s best to fall into the despair of the most forlorn undead and simply recognize that the world has moved on and that I should too. I’m holding onto my sadness about never really getting to play the game, but I’m not struggling to raise it, zombie-like, from the dead. I think it might be best to embrace missing out.

Firstly, it's a little of ironic that it's an article saying that people should just let Demon's Souls go and move on when Dark Souls 1 is getting a remaster, and that a lot of people want to see Demon's Souls get a remaster as well.

In general, though , it just sort of vexes me. It's akin to the issue Darkspore had. Even if you didn't like Darkspore, or if you don't think it's that significan of a gamet, it's the issue where people no longer have the ability to play it if they wanted to. Obviously, Demon's Souls you can still play offline, but elements like co-op and World/Character Tendency hinged heavily on the online component.I can't speak for myself really, but I know there's a lot of people who lament when the online services for games that they like get shut down.

It's the issue where game companies treat game like a disposable product, where once something newer has come out, they shut down support for the old product to more-or-less force you into buying the new version of it. In another 8 years or so, they might start shutting down the Bloodborne servers so there's more room for Dark Souls VI: The Return of John Darksouls. Mind you, I'm not trying to make it sound like FromSoft is pulling Activision/Call of Duty-style tactics, and I understand that they're in a business to make money same as anyone else. However, if it's not viable for you to continue direct support of a game, the least you could do is hand off the tools so that the community can maintain it.

That's my main point of contention with the article; because they bring up the fact that people are working to make private fan servers (which I didn't even think was possible, and I'm incredibly impressed by it), and then continue to say, 'But maybe, we should just let it go and move on'. It feels like spitting on the efforts of people trying to keep the game alive and archive in a way so that new players can try and experience it in the same way people did back in 2009.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 12, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vice sucks

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That article was bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I'm watching a DeS speedrun and I just learned that there are boss skips. Curious that the trigger for the endgame is "all archdemons" and not "all bosses". Does anyone know if the archstones for the skipped bosses still activate?

• Locked thread