Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
About a handful of eps still stand up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Caught Dr. Strange on a whim. Tedious to sit through until a final confrontation that made absolutely no sense.

2/5

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Rogue 1: pg13 Saving Private Ryan, not bad. The cgi tarkin and leia still arent perfect, also I'm uncomfortable with Disney being able to use people even after they're dead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I thought the CGI characters were loving awful, and neither was used in a way that was subtle (as in lighting, angle, editing to obscure the fakery), instead they were closely juxtaposed with actual faces. They felt gross and creepy, and I got this weird, paranoid idea in my head that Disney used digital post production to 'adjust' the faces of other actors in the movie.

I mean, at least Tron: Legacy had an excuse for trying it out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

got any sevens posted:

Rogue 1: pg13 Saving Private Ryan, not bad. The cgi tarkin and leia still arent perfect, also I'm uncomfortable with Disney being able to use people even after they're dead.

Robin Williams must have known what was up since his will stipulates they can't use any of his Genie stuff for any future Aladdin remakes.

Hacksaw Ridge: I think Mel Gibson went a little overboard on "hollywoodizing" a lot of the build up to the actual war scenes but once it got there it really turned around (outside of some unnecessary Christ imagery at the end). However I did see it twice and not a lot of movies that are coming out these days have actually impressed me enough to do that, especially in the same week.

4/5 and one of my new favourite WW2 films

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i thought mel gibson was a racist monsterrr

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zzulu posted:

i thought mel gibson was a racist monsterrr

Still is. Do you have a point?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray:
It's Such a Beautiful Day - 4.5/5
Lily and Jim - 3.5/5
World of Tomorrow (rewatch) - 4.5/5
The Forbidden Room - 4/5 (thanks, axleblaze!)

TCM (live or DVR):
Ride the High Country - 4/5
The Old Man and the Sea (1958) - 2.5/5
Death of a Salesman (1985) - 4/5
8 1/2 (rewatch) - 5/5
Footlight Parade (rewatch) - 4.5/5
Time After Time - 4/5
Show of Shows - 2/5 (John Barrymore scene is 5/5)
Susan Slept Here - 4/5

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Egbert Souse posted:

Show of Shows - 2/5 (John Barrymore scene is 5/5)

It really is. It's such a pity there's so little of Barrymore doing Shakespeare that survives on film. If Warner Bros. had thought to do a full length film of Henry VI with this stage direction it'd probably be seen as a standout of the early talkies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Baby Babbeh posted:

It really is. It's such a pity there's so little of Barrymore doing Shakespeare that survives on film. If Warner Bros. had thought to do a full length film of Henry VI with this stage direction it'd probably be seen as a standout of the early talkies.

Yeah. The sequence is a long unbroken take of John Barrymore reciting a soliloquy from Richard III. No camera movement at all. Just creepy lighting from below and Barrymore being magnificent. The rest of the movie is made up of boring dance numbers. I'm shocked by how boring and uncreative these transition-era films are with musical/dance stuff.

I also rewatched Footlight Parade, which is from 1933. I think one of the first films Busby Berkeley worked on. It's the exact opposite. First, it has James Cagney as the star and he lights the screen on fire with his presence in every single scene. It also has brilliant pacing - snappy editing and all the dance sequences have incredible camera work. The great thing about it is that you don't even get to see Cagney do a dance number until the last sequence. I need to see more of Warner's 30s musicals, but once they figured out how to do them well, they didn't look back. 42nd Street came out the same year and it's a stunning film, too.

Also, the '58 version of The Old Man and the Sea is a strange, slightly bad film. Spencer Tracy is fine as the narrator and the Old Man, but it's one of the ugliest classic Hollywood films I've ever seen. Instead of rear projection, there's absolutely horrible looking travelling mattes, phony backdrops, and copious stock footage. The worst thing is that it was shot by James Wong Howe and Floyd Crosby! It looks like the work of an amateur. And it came out the same year as Howe's work on Bell Book and Candle and Sweet Smell of Success!

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw Superbad for the first time at the weekend, it's not high class cinema or anything but having seen it some 10 years too late I can't help but feel it was the American Pie for my generation (I'm in my early 30's now). Either way it was a genuinely hilarious film that I only wish I'd seen at the more appropriate age of being 18-21 or so. Can't help but feel compelled to seek out more Jonah Hill films, he has this screen presence and charisma so many other actors don't.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

KrayG posted:

I saw Superbad for the first time at the weekend, it's not high class cinema or anything but having seen it some 10 years too late I can't help but feel it was the American Pie for my generation (I'm in my early 30's now). Either way it was a genuinely hilarious film that I only wish I'd seen at the more appropriate age of being 18-21 or so. Can't help but feel compelled to seek out more Jonah Hill films, he has this screen presence and charisma so many other actors don't.

Watch 21 and 22 Jump Street if you haven't. I ignored them because...who cares, lame remake blah blah, but they are very amusing.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I had the same reaction when I saw it last year...which was also about a month or two after I saw American Pie for the first time :v:

I enjoyed Superbad more but maybe that was just because of Emma Stone, I've enjoyed worse movies just because of her

KrayG
Jul 20, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aces High posted:

I had the same reaction when I saw it last year...which was also about a month or two after I saw American Pie for the first time :v:

I enjoyed Superbad more but maybe that was just because of Emma Stone, I've enjoyed worse movies just because of her

I haven't seen American Pie for nearly 16 years but i don't think it was quite as compelling as superbad. Something about that film from the intro at minute one made me knew itd be great

Having a beaut like Emma Stone helps :wink:

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012
Cinema
Star Wars - Rogue One (Imax 3D) 8/10 blown away really enjoyed it

TV:
Margin for Error (1943 - Otto Preminger) 3/10 I like Preminger, I find Joan Bennett but the movie is pretty much some sort of propaganda mixed with a real event turned into a play. It has little depth/interest and is more cliché than anything.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Blu-Ray:

Sing Street (2016): 5/5. I kinda regret not going to see it in the cinema when it was showing (limited release and all) and pushing it back and only catching it on Blu-Ray now. Just an all around feel good movie with a kickass soundtrack if one likes 80's music. Great performances from pretty much the entire cast especially given that it was a debut for a lot of them. Nobody felt out of place as a character. The one actor most people probably know is Aidan Gillen (Littlefinger from GoT) as the father in a small role. Would certainly recommend renting it at least.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Arrival - Interesting topics explored, shot in an unnerving style with effective music and some of the most alien aliens I've seen in a "sci fi thinker" type film. If you like Villeneuve, I don't think you'll be disappointed, though this is much more about "positive" emotions than Enemy or Sicario. 4/5

Rogue One - Decent, serviceable sci-fi war film. The subtle characterization was maybe TOO subtle at times and a disjointed third act limps a little on its way to a rip-roaring spectacle in act 3. I would say it's good, but I don't anticipate seeing it again. 3/5

Moana - Beautiful and colorful. I loved that there was no romance, no dead parents, and no white people for once. Unfortunately, I think Disney was trying to tell a folklore fable moreso than a usual cinematic narrative, so the pacing feels a little weird and there is a lack of cohesion for me. Still the music was wonderful and I am happy to see Disney breaking the mold a little. 3/5

It should be noted I saw all of these movies on the same day (my wife and I both took a day off work to get caught up on new releases). Arrival is the only film I find myself still thinking about and considering rewatching.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Assassin's Creed: 0/5
Expected it to be cheesy, bad, and amusing, but instead it was a joyless, badly-lit, muddled mess.

A lot like watching a Let's Play of Assassin's Creed recorded with a camcorder, but without the charm.

I thought the projector was having problems because it was so dark in every scene, but apparently the director just thought turning off the lights could obscure the movie's many flaws.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Train to Busan - All aboard the chew-chew train (ha!)

I am not a huge zombie connoisseur, but this had piqued my interest from the trailers.

The Zs in this movie are the fast, agile and hyperaggressive variant and they hardly ever let up. There's tension all around and you kind of care about the characters (the good, the bad and the ugly), but unfortunately it becomes the usual 10 little indians game fairly quick, with heroic sacrifices, stumbling and bumbling idiots and other staples of the genre. The claustrophobic setting of the train adds something new to the mix, but I felt it could have been done a bit better. (3.5/5)

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
AVP: Alien v Predator (2004) dir. Paul W.S. Anderson 6/10
AVPR: Aliens v Predator - Requiem (2007) dir. The Brothers Strause 2/10
The Neon Demon (2016) dir. Nicolas Winding Refn 9/10
Maps to the Stars (2014) dir. David Cronenberg 6/10
The Girl on the Train (2016) dir. Tate Taylor 5/10
Unfriended (2014) dir. Leo Gabriadze 5/10
The Duellists (1977) dir. Ridley Scott 8/10
Nerve (2016) dir. Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman 4/10
Arrival (2016) dir. Denis Villeneuve 9/10
Nocturnal Animals (2016) dir. Tom Ford 7/10
Your Name (2016) dir. Makoto Shinkai 8/10
The Good Neighbour (2016) dir. Kasra Farahini 7/10
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) dir. Gareth Edwards 7/10
The Internet's Own Boy (2014) dir. Brian Knappenberger 10/10
Intacto (2001) dir. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo 6/10
Joy Ride (2001) dir. John Dahl 8/10
La La Land (2016) dir. Damien Chazelle 8/10
The Nice Guys (2016) dir. Shane Black 9/10
Barry (2016) dir. Vikram Ghandi 7/10

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 2, 2017

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

AVP: Alien v Predator (2004) dir. Paul W.S. Anderson 6/10
AVPR: Aliens v Predator - Requiem (2007) dir. The Brothers Strause (2007) 2/10
The Neon Demon (2016) dir. Nicolas Winding Refn (2007) 9/10
Maps to the Stars (2014) dir. David Cronenberg (2014) 6/10
The Girl on the Train (1977) dir. Tate Taylor(2016) 5/10
Unfriended (2014) dir. Leo Gabriadze (2014) 5/10
The Duellists (1977) dir. Ridley Scott (2014) 8/10
Nerve (1977) dir. Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman (2016) 4/10
Arrival (2016) dir. Denis Villeneuve (2016) 9/10
Nocturnal Animals (2016) dir. Tom Ford (2016) 7/10
Your Name (2016) dir. Makoto Shinkai (2016) 8/10
The Good Neighbour (2016) dir. Kasra Farahini (2016) 7/10
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) dir. Gareth Edwards (2016) 7/10
The Internet's Own Boy (2014) dir. Brian Knappenberger (2016) 10/10
Intacto (2001) dir. Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (2016) 6/10
Joy Ride (2001) dir. John Dahl (2001) 8/10
La La Land (2016) dir. Damien Chazelle (2001) 8/10
The Nice Guys (2016) dir. Shane Black (2001) 9/10
Barry (2016) dir. Vikram Ghandi (2001) 7/10

I get the first year, but what's the second for?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Rogue One - 7/10. I was pleasantly surprised to see the movie try going away from a lot of things I didn't like about The Force Awakens - there was more character agency and less Abrams-esque roller coaster ride in the plot, Star Zatoichi was probably the most toned down Obligatory Jedi possible in a modern Star Wars blockbuster, things like that. However it was also kind of a mess and woefully lacking in characterization - it was kind of weird how bloated in numbers and undercharacterized the ensemble was, especially given the viewer was meant to care about them dying. Also, I wish we had a few more peeks at the villain - I found the idea of a banality of evil imperial pretty cool.

Also, I really liked all the weird accent dudes. For some reason the diversity in this film felt much more natural than in TFA, where I couldn't shake the 'corporate committee' feel, where here it just all fit nicely. Can't really give a reason for it, so it might be very well something as simple as the unsubtle Space Iraq setting, or being less exposed to "Captain Phasma is totally a character"-style marketing. Dunno.

Toni Erdmann - Okay, I guess?/10 In theory, I should really like it - it had heart, charm, it's own distinctive voice and was funny when it wanted to be. I also am unable to say no to a story of teaching via trolling. However, at its core it's a story of a manic pixie german grandpa teaching a corporate (wo)man to chill and have feelings and :barf:. Thankfully, there's some more interesting stuff around it, but I wish said other stuff was much more of a focus, with the central theme reduced to more of a narrative pretext.

I'm fairly sure this is the kind of movie that gets better on a second viewing (as the internal workings of characters are intentionally muddled throughout), yet I don't think I'll bother.

American Honey - Man, I really need to catch up and finally watch Spring Breakers, how the gently caress can this remind me of a movie I haven't even seen?/10. A kind of dirty, white trash coming of age story, drenched in cynical disappointment. This is the kind of movie that should be prefaced with "just watch her and Labeouf, stupid" or half the viewers will miss the fact there was a plot at all. Still, the ending caught me somewhat abruptly.

Also, I was utterly captivated by the lead actress, Sasha Lane. That girl has presence. It also turns out Shia LaBeouf can actually act really drat well.

Paterson - :aaaaa:/10. It's the kind of movie that touched me too close on a personal level for me to be able to say anything at all about it as a universal experience. So I'll just say it features Method Man playing Method Man rapping at a laundromat.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Man Who Could Work Miracles (1937, Lothar Mendes) - 3/5 [TCM]
Interesting fantasy. The gods decide one ordinary man has almost unlimited powers to see what he'll do with it. Based on a novel by H.G. Wells and actually adapted by the author himself, it's somewhat clever. Main thing setting it back is an overall preachy, pedestrian script. This could have been a great comedy if put into the right hands. Still, Roland Young is excellent, the effects are impressive for 1937, and it doesn't take itself too seriously.

Zabreskie Point (1970, Michelangelo Antonioni) - 3.5/5 [TCM DVR]
On one level, I'm confounded by this film. Virtually nothing of substance, but absolutely beautifully shot and has this interesting "alt-left" approach. Awesome ending.

Napoleon (1927, Abel Gance) [2015 restoration] - 5/5 [Blu-Ray]

One of the great monuments of cinema of all time. Napoleon is a film that manages to not only be a textbook case of everything about cinema up until 1927, it continues to be impressive almost 100 years later. At first glance, it can be a maddening film to watch. It's 5 1/2 hours long (though, with three intermissions). While it's deservedly touted as a technical accomplishment, not enough praise is given to the extraordinary attention to historical detail. Most of the scenes set in Corsica were shot on actual locations, including Napoleon's house at that time (with a plaque actually revealed in the film before being hidden by set decoration in a dissolve). The acting is also fantastic. Albert Dieudonne is absolutely magnetic in the lead role. The prologue, set in a single day during Napoleon's childhood, features a young actor (Roudenko) that gives just as incredible of a performance. There's some other genius bits of casting like Antonin Artaud as Marat, Dieudonne's sister playing Napoleon's sister, and Gance himself playing Saint-Just. The thing most people will watch this for is the technical end, though. Enjoy rapid cutting, extensive handheld work, wide-angle shots, and even the last 20 minutes expanding to 4:1 widescreen. Overall, I'd consider it essential viewing for any film buff. Not everyone is going to be enamored with the film like myself and others, but it's still one of the great silent films.

MST3K episodes:

The Black Scorpion
Untamed Youth
King Dinosaur
Moon Zero Two

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

I Before E posted:

I get the first year, but what's the second for?

Making me realise how hungover from NYE I was when I made the post initially (fixed)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
New thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803953

• Locked thread