Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

VoodooXT posted:

Last I remember reading, the Coolscan 9000 doesn’t do 35mm as well as the Coolscan 5000. The 9000 would be an upgrade from the V850 and 8200i combo though. I personally do the V850 and Coolscan 5000 combo, though there are times I wish I had the 9000 for 120.

Hmm I am more than happy with the 120 scans on the V850, but yeah the 35mm might be tempting eventually. I shoot a lot more 35mm nowadays. I took a quick look on the ebay though and wow the prices for the 5000 are almost in line with the 9000 or 8000. Guess I'll just look at some more comparisons for the 5000 vs 8200i and see how they compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
hay guys im looking for a comfortable shoulder holster for my camera can anyone help

(5D Mark IV for scale)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Accipiter posted:

hay guys im looking for a comfortable shoulder holster for my camera can anyone help

(5D Mark IV for scale)

Looks more like a wrist strap situation imo.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I hear Northrop Grumman make really nice first party straps

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Grand Fromage posted:

Looks more like a wrist strap situation imo.

I thought about that but the hand strap I use on my 5D4 doesn't seem to mount anywhere on this camera that I can find.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Accipiter posted:

I thought about that but the hand strap I use on my 5D4 doesn't seem to mount anywhere on this camera that I can find.

Might have to get some tire chains to wrap around the camera first, kind of like putting peak design anchors on the thingies.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Grand Fromage posted:

Might have to get some tire chains to wrap around the camera first, kind of like putting peak design anchors on the thingies.

Now that is some good thinking.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Accipiter posted:

Now that is some good thinking.

They call me the ideas guy.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I think “bazooka” is the search term you’re looking for.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I forgot to cancel a backordered lens from BH and it just showed up. Is the 15% restocking fee policy they have something they charge every return or if the lens box is still unopened I shouldn't have it added? I'm torn on just keeping the lens anyways (nikon 180-600mm) if I'm gonna get dinged 15% to just return it.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Megabound posted:

I hear Northrop Grumman make really nice first party straps

are they the same as tony northrup

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok, I’ll bite, what is “unethical toning”

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Likely meaning not burning shadows into darkness to dramatize the scene or hide things. That’s a common issue and controversy in the press photo world.

Edit: that’s a weird thing to put in a bio though. Can you imagine a dentists bio saying “serving Madison without using dirty tools or prescribing the wrong medicine.”

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 21, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK when you put it that way, it makes sense. And you're not wrong, that is a weird thing to have in your bio. People should be able to assume you're ethical until proven otherwise.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Tbh 90% of my resume is about how much I don't use the contrast slider in Lightroom.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It looks like a passive aggressive statement towards the other photogs in the state.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tk posted:

I think “bazooka” is the search term you’re looking for.

Think that camera’s factory strap is the same part number as they use for an RPG. Should be able to find it on Alibaba easy enough.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Two random questions

1. If I can handhold a Nikon Z5 with a 100-400mm lens and get 1/1000s shutter speeds at F/11 and ISO 500, is there any reason to use a tripod besides slowing down on composition?

2. Does anyone else struggle with wide angle lenses? I'm out shooting landscape and I just got out my full frame 20mm lens, took one photo, said to my self "ok I've photographed the entire thing" and then switched back to my 24-120 and 100-400 lenses for the remainder of the photos.

3. I want to do a timelapse for like ~12 hours but the temperature is currently 82F. I'm guessing it's not the best to just leave my camera out in the sun with its black body for 8 hours? Google is giving me mixed answers.

huhu fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 22, 2024

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The other motivation for a tripod is it's less work to hold up a heavy lens all day. If you're just doing snapshots at a fast shutter, you can absolutely skip the tripod. But if you're doing event photography or something? You gonna feel it.

And yes, wide angles are a trap. There's certainly very valid uses for them but 9 times of 10 you'll do better with a proper zoom, they're much better at forcing creativity.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

huhu posted:

1. If I can handhold a Nikon Z5 with a 100-400mm lens and get 1/1000s shutter speeds at F/11 and ISO 500, is there any reason to use a tripod besides slowing down on composition?

Ergonomics on shoots where you're stationary - the local Osprey foamers all have tripods when they wait around for the Ospreys to come fish in front of them.

If you splay out the legs real far, it can provide a nice low-to-ground platform so you sit, rather than lay down and kill your shoulders/neck while shoot low wildlife:

Outside of that, I barely use my tripod (Ironically I use it the most for my laser level for hanging things on the wall)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not necessarily a zoom, but it’s going to be easier to pick out a composition a lot of times with a longer focal length. Compression does wonders for landscapes the same as it does for portraits. It’s pretty touch to find a scene that can fill a 14 or 16mm frame well AND have good lighting throughout. At 200mm though, you can punch in to a nice spot where the light is great.

Ultra wide has its place, though it requires intent and planning for specific things like Astro landscapes or wide vistas with good light. They’re a bad choice for general walk around shooting.

All that said, most of my favorite landscapes are done at 35 and 50 (and I do a lot of wide panos at 50 which mostly gets around the distortion effects).

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

huhu posted:

2. Does anyone else struggle with wide angle lenses? I'm out shooting landscape and I just got out my full frame 20mm lens, took one photo, said to my self "ok I've photographed the entire thing" and then switched back to my 24-120 and 100-400 lenses for the remainder of the photos.

This is me, absolutely. I see plenty of cool wide angle photos posted but I generally can't get any I'm happy with. It's just part of finding your personal style.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
The human brain can have trouble with wider than normal compositions as the FOV and distortion can be unsettling. Normal and telephoto lenses naturally mimic aspects of human vision which make them more straightforward to use as a walk around lens. My advice would be to add constraints to your wide angle shots. Try forcing yourself to use an ultrawide (like a 20mm) only at it's closest focus distance and be more selective about subjects based on their ability to fill the frame at that distance.

Often the hardest part of an ultrawide angle at infinity is dealing with the foreground without tilting the camera upwards and further exaggerating the distortion. Try getting clear of the foreground by shooting from a ridge, hilltop, or upstairs window.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

huhu posted:

Two random questions

3. I want to do a timelapse for like ~12 hours but the temperature is currently 82F. I'm guessing it's not the best to just leave my camera out in the sun with its black body for 8 hours? Google is giving me mixed answers.

Re: #1 , I’m kind of in the same boat and usually handhold my long zoom, but I grab a tripod for situations like when I know I’m going to be relatively stationary (e.g. photographing a roosting or nesting bird). If you’re waiting for a specific event but it might take minutes or hours to happen, it’s way nicer to have the shot composed and pre-focused and just trigger the shot when it’s ready. Other reasons: I know I want to play with slower shutter speeds, or when I’m out early or late and it’s not bright-rear end day and I might have to shoot below recommended shutter speeds.

If I’m hiking during the day but might want the arm relief, I’ll throw a monopod in my pack which is a good compromise.

Re: #2, I shoot most of my landscapes with a telephoto and if I shoot with a wide angle it’s usually with strong foreground elements. Tying in point #1, I just in TYOOL did my first landscape focus stacking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As stated, depends on what you’re doing but I really like my monopod. It’s easier to carry and use than a tripod, and still gives you added stability and lets you rest your arms.

Doubles as the worlds most futuristic walking stick as well

I have one of these and it’s incredibly beefy and stable. It also extends above my height so I can take stable shots from pretty high up

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1288941-REG/manfrotto_mvmxpro500us_xpro_aluminum_video.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you really want to go all in on the nerdiest walking stick, there's companies out there that make trekking poles that assemble into a tripod. You just have the third leg and your head strapped to the backpack.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

As stated, depends on what you’re doing but I really like my monopod. It’s easier to carry and use than a tripod, and still gives you added stability and lets you rest your arms.

Doubles as the worlds most futuristic walking stick as well

I have one of these and it’s incredibly beefy and stable. It also extends above my height so I can take stable shots from pretty high up

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1288941-REG/manfrotto_mvmxpro500us_xpro_aluminum_video.html

I use my tripod when I'm sitting and waiting on birds. When I'm looking for birds/wildlife, I have a nice, light carbon fiber monopod and tilt head, and it is much easier for longer term holding my XH2 and 100-400.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Got another question -

I was photographing the moon the other night (with my 20mm lens 😎) and I got the following photo. If I didn't tell you it was the moon, you probably assume it was the sun. When my eye saw this scene, in the sky, there were no blues, it was all mostly black, white, and yellow. I know our eyes do something in the dark where we stop seeing color. What's that called? Also any wisdom for editing this photo towards what my eye actually saw? Maybe desaturate the blues, lower the exposure, increase the saturation of the yellows?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't know the term for it, but the color perceiving cones in our eyes don't work in the dark. So we're seeing with the rods that are effectively greyscale. However the cones still sorta kinda provide information, but it's mostly blue. That's why stuff tends to have a slate grey look to it at night.

But the light coming off the moon is the same color temperature as the sun, so if you do a "correct" white balance it looks like daytime. That's why I tend to process my night images with a much cooler white balance, it looks more like it does in person.

Also I know that spot. :v: I think I'll visit it again next month because the milky way should have a nice alignment and I got a new fisheye to play with.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

huhu posted:

Got another question -

I was photographing the moon the other night (with my 20mm lens 😎) and I got the following photo. If I didn't tell you it was the moon, you probably assume it was the sun. When my eye saw this scene, in the sky, there were no blues, it was all mostly black, white, and yellow. I know our eyes do something in the dark where we stop seeing color. What's that called? Also any wisdom for editing this photo towards what my eye actually saw? Maybe desaturate the blues, lower the exposure, increase the saturation of the yellows?

You can try lowering the exposure in post, but it sounds like maybe it was exposed too brightly in the first place?

As to making it closer to what your eye sees, I’d start with the white balance slider as that will give you the most balanced transitions from blue tone to yellow tone before altering individual color channels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I IR converted a Canon Powershot A4000 that I had sitting around doing nothing because the conversion process was very easy, and only about a 15 minute job, so why not? Basically I pulled the IR filter out of the sensor area, and now have a piece of developed completely dark 35mm film sitting in front of the lens.

The pictures it takes are clearly pretty infra-red leaning, but are kinda hot pink (the same pink color, ironically, as the IR filter that came out of the camera). I have the camera set to daylight white balance, is this something that should be fixable in lightroom? Do I just convert it to B&W, or is there some sort of color correction I should be doing with the "color" image?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's just how IR photos look in color, filtering the visible light means you filtered out the real colors. You either switch to black and white, or there's some sort of Photoshop trickery you can do to swap color channels and turn it into false color. IR is fun I got a filter and have been doing some, I'm just sticking to black and white for mine.