Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It was 35 degrees and extremely windy when I took this photo

313A5486 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

This construction worker is dressed more appropriately, and still suffering

313A5483 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

It was 35 degrees and extremely windy when I took this photo

313A5486 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

who likes short shorts, we like short shorts

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

what's going on here?

000053040007 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

R0006030 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A5933-Enhanced-SR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A5893 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A5939 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
That dog lol

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
i would die for this dog

blue squares posted:

what's going on here?

what do you mean?

content:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grilledcheese posted:

i would die for this dog

what do you mean?

content:

Love these! Wonderful colors and scenes. Great stuff :)

Also I was asking about the line across the photo, but then I realized you were photographing through a window that had some kind of graphic on it

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

grilledcheese posted:

i would die for this dog

what do you mean?

content:

One thing I love about these is the level of grain in them makes them seem like they were taken some time in the 1970's

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

blue squares posted:

Love these! Wonderful colors and scenes. Great stuff :)

Also I was asking about the line across the photo, but then I realized you were photographing through a window that had some kind of graphic on it

Ah yes, I shot that through a bus stop shelter window, then cropped the photo pretty aggressively. I want to like the photo but I'm not feeling it. Any criticisms are welcome.

I shoot with a 35mm for the most part but I'm thinking about picking up a 40mm and 50mm. I'm realizing a longer focal length could allow me to get up closer to people without necessarily invading their physical space. I'm trying to get better at shooting buildings and architecture too, but with the 35mm it's a struggle to get straight lines. Seems like a longer focal length would help with that too. Wondering what everyone else likes shooting with and why?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grilledcheese posted:

Ah yes, I shot that through a bus stop shelter window, then cropped the photo pretty aggressively. I want to like the photo but I'm not feeling it. Any criticisms are welcome

I think it's too cropped. It's an uninteresting shot, really, and the line going through it is more confusing than additive

quote:

I shoot with a 35mm for the most part but I'm thinking about picking up a 40mm and 50mm. I'm realizing a longer focal length could allow me to get up closer to people without necessarily invading their physical space. I'm trying to get better at shooting buildings and architecture too, but with the 35mm it's a struggle to get straight lines. Seems like a longer focal length would help with that too. Wondering what everyone else likes shooting with and why?

I've been really enjoying some recent experiments with 28mm, though I haven't had as much success with photographing people at that focal length. But I like going wide and then trying to incorporate foreground elements to create some layers in my photos. I tried to do it today but don't feel like I got anything that was actually a good photo. I was too focused on technique and not the art of it. https://imgur.com/a/lhryAq2

Now for something that doesn't do that at all:

313A6044 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 17, 2024

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

:eyepop: that's my local hot dog man and produce market

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

One thing I love about these is the level of grain in them makes them seem like they were taken some time in the 1970's

agreed

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A6117 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6223 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6391 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6307 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A6284 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

blue squares posted:

the good stuff

Oh yes.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Wow that's a great shot.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Very nice. Great choice of shutter speed

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

blue squares posted:

I think it's too cropped. It's an uninteresting shot, really, and the line going through it is more confusing than additive

I've been really enjoying some recent experiments with 28mm, though I haven't had as much success with photographing people at that focal length. But I like going wide and then trying to incorporate foreground elements to create some layers in my photos. I tried to do it today but don't feel like I got anything that was actually a good photo. I was too focused on technique and not the art of it. https://imgur.com/a/lhryAq2

This is super helpful, thank you (and sorry for taking so long to reply). I thought the woman's shirt and hat were cute but it was a random snapshot as I was walking by. There might've been something good there but clearly I didn't get it.

Vayra posted:

:eyepop: that's my local hot dog man and produce market

hey fellow Vancouver goon :hfive:

i really like the painterly look of these two.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

grilledcheese posted:

This is super helpful, thank you (and sorry for taking so long to reply). I thought the woman's shirt and hat were cute but it was a random snapshot as I was walking by. There might've been something good there but clearly I didn't get it.

hey fellow Vancouver goon :hfive:

i really like the painterly look of these two.

These two are superb

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Weather was nice enough to get out and about, shot some lazy uninspired photos B)

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
^ love that last one

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

tompepper posted:

Weather was nice enough to get out and about, shot some lazy uninspired photos B)

oh hey what's up hamilton. the vindaloo at gate of india is very spicy.

that last pic is extremely hamilton, i love it.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2024

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Some pics from a trip last year:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
untitled-00005 by Esa Foto, on Flickr

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Love this one

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023
i literally said wow i saw that first shot. great pics!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

those are all sick but yeah, wow at the first shot

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Boi Bumba! Those rule.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...

Phenomenal.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Out and about in Bergen, Norway. Olympus OM2, 50mm f1.4, various films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023