Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm the log scale on that y axis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
I’ve used TDA for over 2 years now. I still hate Thinkorswim desktop. But the TOSmobile app (at least in iOS) is incredibly good, both on phone and tablet.

One thing I will mention is TDA has incredible portfolio margin. They have a few house rules that are generally non-intrusive on top of the basic FINRA rules.

I am definitely enjoying earning 4% annualized on 8 week tbills, which are basically like-cash in terms of collateral for selling options (99% margin). Nice to earn yield on cash that would otherwise be sitting there.

TLDR: TDA is amazing, desktop tos sucks, mobile tos is great.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Pastrami posted:

I am definitely enjoying earning 4% annualized on 8 week tbills, which are basically like-cash in terms of collateral for selling options (99% margin). Nice to earn yield on cash that would otherwise be sitting there.
Could you expound on this? I have cash in my TDA account for selling puts that I'd like to put to use like this

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

DoubleT2172 posted:

Could you expound on this? I have cash in my TDA account for selling puts that I'd like to put to use like this

You can go and place a non competitive bid for tbills (4 and 8 week bills are auctioned weekly) on the tda website. Let’s say you buy $100,000 worth. Your buying power from the $100,000 cash was, well, $100,000. The buying power from the equivalent in tbills will be $99,000.

Did this answer your question? Feel free to msg me on discord if you want

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Pastrami posted:

You can go and place a non competitive bid for tbills (4 and 8 week bills are auctioned weekly) on the tda website. Let’s say you buy $100,000 worth. Your buying power from the $100,000 cash was, well, $100,000. The buying power from the equivalent in tbills will be $99,000.

Did this answer your question? Feel free to msg me on discord if you want

Ok simple last question. Let's say you did that, so you can sell to open 3x SPY 330P with that buying power right?. When those are opened are you on margin or is it only of the puts are exercised? I ask because margin at TDA is like +-12% so you'd be losing 8% annualized if margin starts on open and not exercise

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
It's confusing because "margin" refers to like three separate but similar things, but so long as you aren't running a negative cash balance you won't be charged margin interest.

In other words, in the example you use, if you have a $100k account that a) bought $100k t-bills and then b) wrote SPY puts expiring in a month, there wouldn't be any margin interest charged to you because there's cash sitting in the account (i.e. the premium from those puts you sold).

If those puts are later exercised against you, you would at that point be sitting on a bunch of t-bills, a bunch of SPY, and have negative cash so you would be charged margin interest then.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
Agree with Agronox (thank you!). The way I think about is, when you sell options (to open, aka “write”) your broker is RESERVING buying power equal to a certain % of notional value of the underlying shares (minus premium received). You are not charged interest on this buying power that is reserved.

The way you get charged interest is when you use $ to buy something that costs more than your actual cash balance. Then you are actually getting a loan from your broker, and they will charge you interest.

Like Agronox said, if you are for example assigned on short puts, this is one way you can end up paying margin interest. I often will sell out of the underlying asap in that case. Or if you want to hold the underlying, time to sell some tbills on the secondary market. Tbill interest <<< td Ameritrade margin rate.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
New thread for this decade is up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4018317

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Thank you! Closing this thread.

Folks, please take discussion over there, and especially provide links or text for other things you'd like to see in its OP.