Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Print a bigger hexmap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Would mechwarrior Age of Destruction mini's suffice or are those not the same size?

Strangely, there are a few minis that are the smaller BattleTech size, like the Age of Destruction Phoenix Hawk.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I haven't painted Battletech minis in a long, long time. But hey why not.

These look great. What's your typical method for darkening all the panel edges? I have shaky hands (and I'm lazy) so I often have to go the opposite way and brush on a really bright color over a dark base coat.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Hedningen posted:

Awesome. Now to get some tanks and assorted combat craft to cover the combined arms approach, as well as keeping the best-named J. Edgar Hover Tank prepped. Because I love that stupid name.

If you're interested in some off-brand pieces, I've found a few people doing 6mm Sci-Fi stuff I really like:

A neat selection of Infantry and conventional/hover tanks: http://www.darkeststargames.com/dark-star-6mm-sci-fi.html
Infantry, Vehicles, and Buildings: http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/
Conventional-looking tanks/APCs: http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/6mmscifi.html
A WIDE variety of vehicles and infantry, as well as options for some aircraft (I find the models hit-and-miss style-wise, but there's a lot to choose from): http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/index.html
Some cool buildings: http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-sci-fi/
Small resin buildings, including some cool bunkers/turrets that could be used to augment other terrain: http://www.xmarx.com/products.html

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So yesterday I sat down to play in our 40k league.

Halfway through two guys showed up and started pulling out battletech mapsheets. I made two friends.

First time I've seen battletech played in this city without me having to drag people into it. They're wanting me to join a Mechwarrior 3rd edition game.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Hubis posted:

If you're interested in some off-brand pieces, I've found a few people doing 6mm Sci-Fi stuff I really like:

A neat selection of Infantry and conventional/hover tanks: http://www.darkeststargames.com/dark-star-6mm-sci-fi.html
Infantry, Vehicles, and Buildings: http://www.sayinermicrotoys.com/
Conventional-looking tanks/APCs: http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/6mmscifi.html
A WIDE variety of vehicles and infantry, as well as options for some aircraft (I find the models hit-and-miss style-wise, but there's a lot to choose from): http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/6mmSF/index.html
Some cool buildings: http://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-sci-fi/
Small resin buildings, including some cool bunkers/turrets that could be used to augment other terrain: http://www.xmarx.com/products.html

Thanks! These are all helpful. I found a stateside seller of the Brigade stuff, so I now have a variety of tanks available. I really loved running tank groups back in the day, in part because the combined arms approach was always kinda awesome to run with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

These look great. What's your typical method for darkening all the panel edges? I have shaky hands (and I'm lazy) so I often have to go the opposite way and brush on a really bright color over a dark base coat.

Nothing too clever. I spray the model black then base coat it whatever color it's going to be. I try not to get the base color in the recesses, but it's not a big deal if some gets in. Next I wash the whole model with watered down black paint. You can play around with the consistency to get the right mix for how dark you want it to be in the end. Then I paint each panel individually with the base color again, but this time I don't do the whole panel and I do my best to avoid the recesses. That way there's a gradient towards the recesses between panels. Last I drybrush a bright color over the edge of the panels.

And the finished product is what I posted.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I finally unpacked all my stuff from Con season, and after putting together all my con purchases and getting them organized, the five-shelf bookcase I've been using is too full to carry them all.

Not sure whether that's a good thing...

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Strobe posted:

I finally unpacked all my stuff from Con season, and after putting together all my con purchases and getting them organized, the five-shelf bookcase I've been using is too full to carry them all.

Not sure whether that's a good thing...

I've had the opposite problem; had to massively downsize my gaming collection recently, and it barely takes up a knock-together two-shelf unit.

Did you snag any of the new Mech minis they showed off at GenCon?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cascade Jones posted:

I've had the opposite problem; had to massively downsize my gaming collection recently, and it barely takes up a knock-together two-shelf unit.

Did you snag any of the new Mech minis they showed off at GenCon?

Hell yeah I did. Of the new stuff at GenCon, I ended up with a Loki Mk II A, one of each Uziel, one of each Marauder, both the Templar III C and D, a Primitive Archer, and the new Enforcer III.

Plus a bunch of other poo poo, but that was just the new stuff.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

Hell yeah I did. Of the new stuff at GenCon, I ended up with a Loki Mk II A, one of each Uziel, one of each Marauder, both the Templar III C and D, a Primitive Archer, and the new Enforcer III.

Plus a bunch of other poo poo, but that was just the new stuff.

Are these Iron Wind metals or are they new plastic sculpts?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All IWM. New plastic sculpts got shown off in the Catalyst booth but there's not any new release on the horizon for probably six months or so.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Strobe posted:

All IWM. New plastic sculpts got shown off in the Catalyst booth but there's not any new release on the horizon for probably six months or so.

I assume that will coincide with the new starters? How long before we can expect a physical release of the revised rules? I never got around to getting Total Warfare so this is something I'll probably want to get.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Less "coincide with" and more "make up". As for "revised rules" I don't know what you're talking about. The BattleMech Manual came out in print at GenCon and has been available in PDF format for a couple months. I am unaware of any more revisions to the rules at this time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The Manual is what I'm referring to. I prefer physical rules to PDFs and Catalyst said they'd do a wide physical release only after Gencon, which I couldn't attend. So I was wondering if we had a timetable on it being something FLGSs could order in.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

This was the impression I got at PAX. They rented a booth but all they had was that Shadowrun board game and piles and piles of Dragonfire, The Game That Will Save CGL.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Defiance Industries posted:

This was the impression I got at PAX. They rented a booth but all they had was that Shadowrun board game and piles and piles of Dragonfire, The Game That Will Save CGL.

It seems to have been well received and it has a great license attached, so it very well might. Whatever keeps Battletech going is fine by me. It's too bad The Duke seems to have stalled out. That was supposed to be a really good "chess-like" as well. I should pick up a copy to bring to beers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Atlas Hugged posted:

It seems to have been well received and it has a great license attached, so it very well might.

That's not what the huge unsold pile of them made it seem like

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ah, I wasn't there so didn't know about that. I just read some reviews of it online and the people reviewing it seemed to have liked it. RIP CGL.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Can't help but feel that Dragonfire, good game or not, is coming out a couple of years too late. The craze for that style game came and went with the Pathfinder one. No one I know is still playing one of those games now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Every fifth person at GenCon was walking around with a bright green Catalyst bag so it sold pretty well there. :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Strobe posted:

Every fifth person at GenCon was walking around with a bright green Catalyst bag so it sold pretty well there. :shrug:
But you see a company being well stocked at a convention means that their products are not selling at all. This is a reasonable assumption to make.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

But you see a company being well stocked at a convention means that their products are not selling at all. This is a reasonable assumption to make.

Piles and piles on Thursday = well stocked.
Piles and piles on Sunday = :(

Or the PAX crowd has different tastes than the GenCon crowd. The PNW is hipster central, they're too cool for that Dragonfire poo poo, etc etc

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My gut feeling is that the PAX crowd skews heavily towards computer gaming over tabletop and is less likely to take a risk on a new physical game that they haven't seen recommended online. I mean, Dragonfire hasn't even hit the shelves here yet so it's a bit early to be calling it a failure. CGL probably weren't expecting to do great at PAX, but they might not have been able to afford not to go in terms of word of mouth exposure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Strobe posted:

I had one of those too. They gave it to me for buying a $5 House Steiner pin.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Played some battletech at dragoncon this weekend, some really good poo poo.

Had the biggest game I've ever been part of. A 12 v 12 with 3 lance commanders on each team. Kurita vs GDL in 3039. It was pretty nuts. My banshee 3S took a PPC to the head that blew its head off as the first shot at it which I was a little salty about but it was really fun.

I also got to play in the battlemech pods. Holy poo poo those were fun. Ended up doing 5 games in the pods, jumping around in the thor and wrecking people was so good.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

chutche2 posted:

Had the biggest game I've ever been part of. A 12 v 12 with 3 lance commanders on each team. Kurita vs GDL in 3039. It was pretty nuts. My banshee 3S took a PPC to the head that blew its head off as the first shot at it which I was a little salty about but it was really fun.

I also got to play in the battlemech pods. Holy poo poo those were fun. Ended up doing 5 games in the pods, jumping around in the thor and wrecking people was so good.

How'd the game end up? What else were you running?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

chutche2 posted:

Well, that's Battletech.

Man, I need to go a more any cons. Seems like I'm missing out on some great gaming.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you go to either Adepticon, Origins, or GenCon I'll be there running games. :)

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Strobe posted:

How'd the game end up? What else were you running?

We got our asses kicked by GDL pretty bad, but it was fun. My banshee was the first mech to go down and after that we went full banzai and stopped giving a poo poo, leading to a very bloody fight. My commando kicked a victor which then fell on its head, which was pretty hilarious. Immediately before this kick he took an AC 20 to the arm but the commando stayed on his feet.

My lance was BNC-3S, grand dragon, stinger, commando

Second lance was atlas, awesome, rifleman (ac 10 one), warhammer

Third lance was quickdraw, 2 hunchbacks (AC 20, AC 10), panther

Opposing us was a stalker, zeus, archer, awesome, victor, warhammer, rifleman, grasshopper, centurion, jenner, spider, ostscout

Stalker and atlas were 2 gunners as the COs, everyone else was a 3 gunner. Most were 3/5, XOs were 3/4

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 5, 2017

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

That's a cool dang table. Sounds like a fun game.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
He used a great initiative system I'm going to steal

He had a bag of red and blue poker chips with numbers written on them, which corresponds to each mech. When a mech gets pulled it moves. Made it real easy to coordinate 24 mechs and 6 players.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At the point where we've got 12 mechs a side we tend to start switching to lance initiative and moving a unit at once. It speeds things up quite a bit. The poker chip method is also good but it doesn't scale quite so easily.

ETA: I suppose there's some arguement to be made for "losing the ability to plan" too but TBH with some people that's a good thing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's me, I'm the one who's so single-track that I get so occupied enough about counting down the MP to move to a hex that I forget about whether or not it's a smart idea to move there in the first place, also it takes me 13488652357985 minutes

MegaMek is a great thing and I really wish inexpensive table-sized tablets were a thing already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Hey it's only like 11,000 dollars for am 86 inch touch screen, that's practically a steal!

• Locked thread