Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The dealership is being paid by VW to cover the costs, so it's not like they're losing out on doing warranty work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Man, that Tiguan is rough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Do dealerships offer extended warranties on vehicles not purchased from that particular dealership? I'm sure they're glad to have my money? I've been having a bunch of car issues as of late and I've been "lucky" enough to have everything covered so far. Some big things, some small things. Enough problems that I'm really considering purchasing an additional warranty and not have to think about anything. I have a 2019 Tiguan so I think the warranty is 6 year / 72k.

The last three months I had to deal with...

1. Independent shop did an oil change, said oil pan was leaking. Dealership covered it.

2. Rain started to get into the car, didn't notice until it was soaking wet from the rain. Replaced all flooring on the car. Dealership covered it.

3. Striker on the door loose, unable to close door. Dealership covered it.

4. Seatbelt stopped retracting. Dealership covered it.

5. Error message stating the battery was not charging while driving the car. Dealership checked it out, said battery was good.

6. A month later car was driving rough, check engine light comes on and off. Apparently battery needed to be replaced (code U350100). Covered out of pocket.

6. Found oil leaking from the oil pan again (during 2nd battery check), replaced the oil pan and thermal sensor. Dealership covered it.

Don't get another warranty: get another car. That's not reasonable, even for a VW. It's not going to get better with age/mileage.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Also cue the general advice that extended warranties are rarely worth it. They are generally quite expensive and rarely does the coverage live up to its marketing. VW has a program of their own, but it's unlikely theirs is that much better than what the market at large has to offer. Warranties generally only apply to the warranty purchaser and vehicle, so if you are leery of keeping the Tiguan long-term, weigh that into any decision you might make.

That said, I hear the warning signs too with this Tiguan. I could see a case for trading it in, but if that's not feasible, I'd keep close tabs on the vehicle as the warranty expires and see how it goes from there. 2019s should have 6 years of coverage from the date of purchase.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 9, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the input guys. My friends joke that this car might be cursed (who knows, I might need to find an exorcist). Since owning the car I've also,

1. Fixed the drive side door because someone accidentally hit it with a bike or skateboard.
2. Replaced the rear windshield because I live in a bad neighborhood and a crazy person broke the windows of all cars down the block.
3. An employee that we fired decided to vandalize the car closest to him and drive off.
4. Another employee didn't look at his rear view while backing up and scratched the gently caress out of my car.
5. Tire blew out on the freeway.

ANYway... My wife and I *really* like the car. We like the AWD, large clear touchscreen, back-up & 360 camera, enough space for our family of 4. We only do street parking and there are two spots on our block that perfectly fit our car. Not a lot of cars are able to fit, so we get that spot fairly often, which is really nice. I will have the manufacturer's warranty until the mid/end of 2025. We don't really want to replace the car and don't think we will get a lot in terms of selling/trade-in. I've also had VWs as my main car, but it seems my only options at this point from VW are another Tiguan or Atlas...

But, my reasoning for asking is I was thinking that if I can extend the manufacturer's warranty for a handful of years for (I don't know) ~$2k, it might be worth it if it covers all the same stuff that is currently covered, if not just for pieces of mind.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
my guy you could have a RAV4 or a CX5/CX50 or even a CRV/Passport/Pilot or a Volvo or a Subaru or a million better and more interesting and more reliable cars than a Tiguan

Like I love VAG as much as anybody on here, I literally just bought a whole salvage interior for a Mk3 Cabrio, but there is truly nothing special about the Tiguan it’s simply a low performer in its already boring category.

It’s like the guy from a few weeks ago insisting on getting an Atlas Cross (the one with a sloped roof and less storage in the back)—like dude why.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Only Tiguan that is worthwhile is the TDI models. Seems like the gas ones are nothing but a pain.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for the input guys. My friends joke that this car might be cursed (who knows, I might need to find an exorcist). Since owning the car I've also,

1. Fixed the drive side door because someone accidentally hit it with a bike or skateboard.
2. Replaced the rear windshield because I live in a bad neighborhood and a crazy person broke the windows of all cars down the block.
3. An employee that we fired decided to vandalize the car closest to him and drive off.
4. Another employee didn't look at his rear view while backing up and scratched the gently caress out of my car.
5. Tire blew out on the freeway.

ANYway... My wife and I *really* like the car. We like the AWD, large clear touchscreen, back-up & 360 camera, enough space for our family of 4. We only do street parking and there are two spots on our block that perfectly fit our car. Not a lot of cars are able to fit, so we get that spot fairly often, which is really nice. I will have the manufacturer's warranty until the mid/end of 2025. We don't really want to replace the car and don't think we will get a lot in terms of selling/trade-in. I've also had VWs as my main car, but it seems my only options at this point from VW are another Tiguan or Atlas...

But, my reasoning for asking is I was thinking that if I can extend the manufacturer's warranty for a handful of years for (I don't know) ~$2k, it might be worth it if it covers all the same stuff that is currently covered, if not just for pieces of mind.

If you like it, maybe just try hanging onto it. You are going to take a bath trading it in. You’ve had a rough go, but some is just stuff that happens. Batteries fail, people do stupid things to cars, etc.

As for the warranty, it generally boils down to putting the money aside for repairs being the better bet. I don’t know what those VW warranties go for, but whatever it is, you’ll probably be better off putting that money in a savings account for it.

If you want to shop for one still PenFed is supposedly decent as well.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks. I’m going to hold onto the car until at least early next year. Buying a new car just isn’t on the table at the moment. But keeping extra money aside for repairs seems a good idea. I mean, I already do that, but I feel like I need to up the percentage a little bit more.

After the warranty is up, I’ll probably take a look at my options again, without purchasing an extended warranty. I don’t foresee myself getting another Volkswagen unless something dramatic happens with their lineup.

My brother-in-law, who is a mechanic at Audi is trying to convince me to get either a Mazda or an Audi. that minivan life looks pretty good though. I’m.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

Don't get another warranty: get another car. That's not reasonable, even for a VW. It's not going to get better with age/mileage.

ehh I'll be the resident VW apologist on this one:

obi_ant posted:

The last three months I had to deal with...

1. Independent shop did an oil change, said oil pan was leaking. Dealership covered it.
2. Rain started to get into the car, didn't notice until it was soaking wet from the rain. Replaced all flooring on the car. Dealership covered it.
3. Striker on the door loose, unable to close door. Dealership covered it.
4. Seatbelt stopped retracting. Dealership covered it.
5. Error message stating the battery was not charging while driving the car. Dealership checked it out, said battery was good.
6. A month later car was driving rough, check engine light comes on and off. Apparently battery needed to be replaced (code U350100). Covered out of pocket.
7. Found oil leaking from the oil pan again (during 2nd battery check), replaced the oil pan and thermal sensor. Dealership covered it.

1, 7 - the oil pan is pretty exposed on the Tiguan. Possible it was hit. More likely - the drain o-rings are single use plastic so your indy probably lazily replaced the used ring at some point and it leaked. Dealer wants to replace the whole pan because they get paid for it. The second oil pan is probably dealer incompetence; I would not trust them.
2 - it's an outdoor car, clean your sunroof drains
3 - not great, easily fixed
4 - yeah this one is bad but seatbelts are covered by SRS warranty anyway
5, 6, - five years for a battery is fairly normal, and that wouldn't be warrantied by anyone anyhow

so like, 3 and 4 are actually issues with the car, 7 and 5 is an issue with your dealer, 1 is an issue with whomever does your oil changes, 2 and 6 are facts of owning cars. Not great, but maybe you should find somewhere else to take the car given the repair track record of everyone.

edit: do not buy a audi, it is a fancy volkswagen

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

ehh I'll be the resident VW apologist on this one:

1, 7 - the oil pan is pretty exposed on the Tiguan. Possible it was hit. More likely - the drain o-rings are single use plastic so your indy probably lazily replaced the used ring at some point and it leaked. Dealer wants to replace the whole pan because they get paid for it. The second oil pan is probably dealer incompetence; I would not trust them.
2 - it's an outdoor car, clean your sunroof drains
3 - not great, easily fixed
4 - yeah this one is bad but seatbelts are covered by SRS warranty anyway
5, 6, - five years for a battery is fairly normal, and that wouldn't be warrantied by anyone anyhow

so like, 3 and 4 are actually issues with the car, 7 and 5 is an issue with your dealer, 1 is an issue with whomever does your oil changes, 2 and 6 are facts of owning cars. Not great, but maybe you should find somewhere else to take the car given the repair track record of everyone.

edit: do not buy a audi, it is a fancy volkswagen

Very good points and pretty much the same conclusion I came to when speaking to my wife about the situation. My previous car didn't have a moon roof, so it just never occurred to me that it's something I need to maintain. Does a car wash help with the maintenance or do I need to physically takes things apart? Looks like VW has been sued for leaky moonroofs. I just looked at the service notes state that it was the oil pan gasket from the independent shop; which I brought to the dealer to fix.

Side story: I went a few times to my local dealership in San Francisco to do oil changes because it was super convenient for me. These dudes somehow broke my windshield during an oil change and didn't have the parts available for the side trims or whatever. Parts came in, drove there, whoops wrong parts! Ordered new parts, drove there, whoops wrong parts again! Ordered new parts drove there, correct parts. When I was daily driving my GTI, the independent shop told me to never go there for warranty work because they're super sloppy, go to literally any other dealership. I mean, it's been roughly 10 years since I was last there, surely they can't still be bad. I'm never going there again.

This new dealership I'm 50/50 about. I'm stuck with them though, other dealerships are too far.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Ended up being a bad coil. Ended up doing coils and plugs and everything seems to be good now.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

VelociBacon posted:

They just sold it to someone else who accepted worse financing terms I expect? Probably was never 10k of repairs.

Turbo oil strainers lol. It was manufactured just before the cut off and hadn't been in for a recall.

Doubt that's 10k of work alone but it's not a small job and add on other incidental work to minimise warranty work and it does kind of make sense.

Easier to roll it across a trade auction block and let the next garage eat the risk.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

obi_ant posted:

Do dealerships offer extended warranties on vehicles not purchased from that particular dealership? I'm sure they're glad to have my money?

Differs by dealership policy. Usually dealers don't sell warranties, they resell warranties, and oftentimes you can purchase direct from the seller of the warranty since the dealer is just a middleman that takes a cut.

As always, it is unlikely that your expected incurred repair costs during the period of the warranty will outweigh the cost of the warranty, but the value of that peace of mind can only be decided by you. Be advised that all warranty marketing materials will tell you exactly the opposite.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 19, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Here's something odd. Recently changed the rear brakes on my 17 Jetta. They were very worn with one of the four pads near at metal.

Popped my front tires off this morning to change the front brakes, and they've got 3/4+ worth of a pad on all four of em up front. I do use the parking brake all the time when parked, but I don't think that should lead to such a different wear pattern. Front brakes almost always wear first. Any thoughts?

I've never paid anyone to change the brakes, and I've never changed the front brakes. I've got 65k miles on the car and I'm responsible for the last 56k.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here's something odd. Recently changed the rear brakes on my 17 Jetta. They were very worn with one of the four pads near at metal.

Popped my front tires off this morning to change the front brakes, and they've got 3/4+ worth of a pad on all four of em up front. I do use the parking brake all the time when parked, but I don't think that should lead to such a different wear pattern. Front brakes almost always wear first. Any thoughts?

I've never paid anyone to change the brakes, and I've never changed the front brakes. I've got 65k miles on the car and I'm responsible for the last 56k.
That's really common for recent VAG cars. My last 3 Audis all needed to rear brakes changed long before the front ones. Apparently it's because the brake proportioning system is setup to favor the rear brakes in most braking situations to prevent nose diving.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's really common for recent VAG cars. My last 3 Audis all needed to rear brakes changed long before the front ones. Apparently it's because the brake proportioning system is setup to favor the rear brakes in most braking situations to prevent nose diving.

That's what I assumed. Thanks for confirming!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah when I swapped my summer wheels onto my 07 GTI last month I noticed the same thing. It's a very strange thing to me, if I turn off my stability control and left foot brake in a corner I don't get the feeling I would expect with a rearward brake bias.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Mr. Apollo posted:

I'm sure the brakes are totally being applied mostly to the rear for safety reasons. This is very plausible and quite evident as correlation and causation are the same thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

No. 6 posted:

I'm sure the brakes are totally being applied mostly to the rear for safety reasons. This is very plausible and quite evident as correlation and causation are the same thing.

What's your explanation for what we're all seeing independently? Weirdly hostile post.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I do know that the rear calipers are different to the front. Maybe that has something to do with the differential wear.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's a common topic on Audi forums, consensus seems to be that typical town and cruise control driving where you're not throwing out the anchors shifts the brake bias to the rear for the sake of gentler, more predictable braking with bias shifting more to the front under heavy braking. I know some torque vectoring systems also independently apply the rear brakes for cars without a differential too, which I guess could be a factor? Either way, a lot of them are replacing their second set of rear pads by the time the fronts have worn down to the sensors.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I posted this in the hatch thread, but can anyone recommend a lower-dust brake pad set for a 2016 Golf R that won't sacrifice performance compared to oem/stock? Due for a replacement and I don't love having to clean the front wheels constantly.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you resetting the rear calipers? Are you making sure the pads glide okay? If they get stuck against the rotors after braking they can wear without causing any slowdown (like getting gently ground down).

E:fb someone else probably has the real answer

Brian Worms
May 29, 2007

No. 6 posted:

Thanks, man! Very helpful.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Deviant posted:

I posted this in the hatch thread, but can anyone recommend a lower-dust brake pad set for a 2016 Golf R that won't sacrifice performance compared to oem/stock? Due for a replacement and I don't love having to clean the front wheels constantly.

I think this is a trade off you have to decide on, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Less dust will be less aggressive of a compound.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

I've been extremely happy with my Akebono ceramic pads. You can use the same rotor (I like centric vented blanks), they have very good initial bite and very little fade, require very little to no warmup, and have essentially zero dust. They're also lasting me forever. I understand that they wouldn't be suitable for heavy track use because they retain heat more and can overheat... I've done 4-5 track days in my car driving at probably 8/10ths and they never faded. Perhaps this is a consideration in longer track sessions or in hotter climates.

e: Just checked my email - I've been running these pads daily since 2018, the rears are probably 2/3 to needing replacement and the fronts have more than half left.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 12, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

These are for day to day driving, to be clear. No track. The stock pads produce an unacceptable amount of dust and frankly VW should be embarassed.

VelociBacon posted:

I've been extremely happy with my Akebono ceramic pads. You can use the same rotor (I like centric vented blanks), they have very good initial bite and very little fade, require very little to no warmup, and have essentially zero dust. They're also lasting me forever. I understand that they wouldn't be suitable for heavy track use because they retain heat more and can overheat... I've done 4-5 track days in my car driving at probably 8/10ths and they never faded. Perhaps this is a consideration in longer track sessions or in hotter climates.

e: Just checked my email - I've been running these pads daily since 2018, the rears are probably 2/3 to needing replacement and the fronts have more than half left.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-akebono-parts/front-rear-brake-pad-set/3557817kt/

Well, the price is right, and I don't have a commute.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

These are for day to day driving, to be clear. No track. The stock pads produce an unacceptable amount of dust and frankly VW should be embarassed.

Yeah I'm talking about day to day driving, get ceramics.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Ooh, ECS has the spare tire kit back in stock too. Bought that and the pads. Spreader tool (heh) from amazon. Easy money.

Edit: should I do the rotors while I'm in there? Seems easy, but the price inflates.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 12, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

Ooh, ECS has the spare tire kit back in stock too. Bought that and the pads. Spreader tool (heh) from amazon. Easy money.

Edit: should I do the rotors while I'm in there? Seems easy, but the price inflates.

I would since worn rotors will prematurely gently caress the pads a bit and you're in there already as you say. I don't think you even need to take the carriers off the hub if you have the pads out (to replace the rotors).

Make sure you have some kind of strong cleaner for the rotors, they always come with a very tenacious anti-rust covering these days. I think I used brake cleaner and a lot of towels etc. Next time I do this I'm going to figure out a way to soak the rotors in some kind of solution first, it took me honestly over an hour altogether to clean the poo poo off the rotors.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I would since worn rotors will prematurely gently caress the pads a bit and you're in there already as you say. I don't think you even need to take the carriers off the hub if you have the pads out (to replace the rotors).

Make sure you have some kind of strong cleaner for the rotors, they always come with a very tenacious anti-rust covering these days. I think I used brake cleaner and a lot of towels etc. Next time I do this I'm going to figure out a way to soak the rotors in some kind of solution first, it took me honestly over an hour altogether to clean the poo poo off the rotors.

Can you throw me a link (or pair of links) ideally from ECS (seems like the best price and free S&H)? Your application sounds a lot like mine.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

Can you throw me a link (or pair of links) ideally from ECS (seems like the best price and free S&H)? Your application sounds a lot like mine.

I ordered from Rockauto, I'm Canadian, and I have a mk5 (2007) GTI so I don't think our application is the same part numbers. Here's my order summary:

e: I'm taking a look at ECS right now.

e2: Here's a full kit front and back with ceramic pads from ECS. Please double check the fitment

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/front-and-rear-brake-service-kit-340x30-310x22/8v0698151ckt1/

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 12, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I ordered from Rockauto, I'm Canadian, and I have a mk5 (2007) GTI so I don't think our application is the same part numbers. Here's my order summary:

e: I'm taking a look at ECS right now.

I mean, I don't mind ordering from rockauto, I already got these pads:
I could absolutely cancel that order if Rockauto has them. They don't make it easy to shop though.

Edit: ECS's kit is just EUR1760 and 1779 together. So that's easy.

Centric just doesn't seem to be carried by many vendors?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 12, 2024

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

I mean, I don't mind ordering from rockauto, I already got these pads:

Centric just doesn't seem to be carried by many vendors?

I updated my post so take another look but honestly a rotor is basically a rotor especially just for street use. I would avoid drilled and slotted as these can accelerate wear on the pads and the benefits aren't realized on a street car. I like centric but any 'blank' rotors for this application are going to be vented and fine. By vented I mean this:

It's common for the rears to not even be vented FYI. I'm not sure what VW put on the R, maybe they're vented front and rear.

e: Yeah it's vented in that kit in the rear too:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 12, 2024

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I updated my post so take another look but honestly a rotor is basically a rotor especially just for street use. I would avoid drilled and slotted as these can accelerate wear on the pads and the benefits aren't realized on a street car. I like centric but any 'blank' rotors for this application are going to be vented and fine. By vented I mean this:

It's common for the rears to not even be vented FYI. I'm not sure what VW put on the R, maybe they're vented front and rear.

Yeah, it is vented from the factory.

:toot:

Deviant fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The brake thing is I think unique to vag/Porsche the mechanic that I took my car to have them changed and was new didn't know that as he couldn't understand why the front ones were mostly full until I explained that my egolf prioritizes rear along with regen