Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If all you care about is making holes into not holes, pick up a Speedy Stitcher off amazon, it's pretty good for "never sewed anything in my life" types and after watching one or two youtube videos you should be able to close up any holes you can imagine.

I prefer the smaller thread you can get for it, the thick stuff is more for "loose" canvas that is easy to push a large needle through. But either way it uses waxed polyester thread which is pretty durable and you can heat shrink it a little bit too. If you want that "fixed it myself!!" look it's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I'm selling some bags over in the gear thread. Have a Peak Design Everyday Messenger 13. Incase DSLR Pro, and Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 v2 all for sale. Moved to a pelican case setup and just need to clean out the closet, all in great or new condition.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=27#post476001637

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

powderific posted:

I've got a waxed canvas not photo bag that I'd like to patch up so I'm interested for sure.

Basically I made a blank out of thick paper and contoured it so that it would sit against the existing leather corner protection (this is easiest if you have eczema on one finger apparently):

I then cut that shape out of leather, and prepared it for stitching in the normal way you'd do this with leather which is to use special tools to create a groove for the stitching to sit in, and use a tool to halfway puncture the leather at even points before using an awl to fully puncture it at those points and doing a saddle stitch through the leather into the canvas of the bag. you don't really need to do the groove and you could just use a compass to space out the holes.

The thing about it is because the two leather pieces are crescent-shaped, as the bag deflects concave/convex at the bottom they aren't going to fit flush against each other the whole time. I decided to sew it so that it's flush when the bag is resting on the floor, so in this pic it looks like there is a gap between the leather - it's due to it being pushed convex.

After this I skived down some other leather to quite thin (like 3mm) and made 1" circular patches which i fixed onto the inside bottom of the bag on the opposite side of the leather patches with some contact cement.

If the exterior patches don't start to wear close to the color of the old leather I'll throw some dye on them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VelociBacon posted:

If the exterior patches don't start to wear close to the color of the old leather I'll throw some dye on them.

Oil them and they will darken up. Everything leather I own gets oiled on the reg.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah but I don't want to overdarken and I really think once I start to use the bag more I'll see it darken up. Time will tell I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the pics and info. I think I may need to think about just making whole bag corner reinforcements as on closer inspection the whole side edges look like they could use some extra abrasion resistance.

• Locked thread