Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Ugh that sucks so bad. I did something similar on my 4ft snow blower. Hit a garden hose hidden in the snow and it got wrapped up insanely well around the augers before the shear pins let go. Took me 2 hours to cut that bastard out in the middle of the blizzard. I came up with many new cuss and combinations of cuss words that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Ferremit posted:

Well this has been my last two weeks at work:

Its all fun and games until your chewing your way through an olive bush and find an old fence in it...

Which was EXTRA fun when you discover that someones "Borrowed" all the pliers and cutters off the tractor...

How many times did you call it a oval office?

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I have a 17hp kubota b7200 that does everything I need. I can pick up 500lbs in the loader, I pull a 60” mower on the pto, and I can clear up to a foot of heavy snowfall using a 60” back blade. For deeper snow I just plow through with the loader on the ground and lift the snow out of the way.

Then I use my in law’s 37hp kubota 3710 and it makes my tractor feel helpless and weak. I can’t even imagine using a larger tractor than that and trying to go back to my little 3 cylinder diesel workpony.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
You know what you need to do....

Get a 47hp tractor. Gotta one up the father in law.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Modus Man posted:

I have a 17hp kubota b7200 that does everything I need. I can pick up 500lbs in the loader, I pull a 60” mower on the pto, and I can clear up to a foot of heavy snowfall using a 60” back blade. For deeper snow I just plow through with the loader on the ground and lift the snow out of the way.

Then I use my in law’s 37hp kubota 3710 and it makes my tractor feel helpless and weak. I can’t even imagine using a larger tractor than that and trying to go back to my little 3 cylinder diesel workpony.

If your loader is a quick attach (skid steer style) let me just say that adding front hydraulics so you can operate some hydro attachments like a grappler... Is a game changer for a small machine.

I operate full sized equipment at work so I realize its limitations... But for what I paid and how much I get out of it I have never had a whiff of buyers remorse. If I had spent the 35-40k that the John Deere dealer quoted when I told them what I needed, I think I would have regretted that. JD didn't think a 3038 (the one they always have package deals on) would pick up a hay bale with the loader, and the 3pt was barely rated for it.

That's a 5' bale but I've handled 6' bales too with it. I think I paid about $12k for it with a bucket, grappler, and bush hog, with under 500hrs.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

chrisgt posted:

How many times did you call it a oval office?

Many, many, many times.

That machine has an insatiable appetite for metal though- one of the other operators at work wrapped 3m of rusty 1” water pipe around the head once- that was an oxy torch job and the other regular operator found the end of a part roll of [url= http://www.cycloneproducts.com.au/Fencing/Wire/RINGLOCK%AE]ring lock[/url] that had fallen off a ute and rolled into the bracken fern on the side of the road and sucked that into the head. Filled the entire head to the point of jamming in about 2 seconds.

That took two guys with wire cutters and an angle grinder 2 days to cut out.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

what's the advantage of a flail head mower vs a rotary mower? Seems like the flail head is a lot easier to jam up with debris

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Previa_fun posted:

what's the advantage of a flail head mower vs a rotary mower? Seems like the flail head is a lot easier to jam up with debris

Well... For one you can delete trees with them!

They tend to have a mulching effect too, so they're REALLY good on woody weeds and small bushes, rather than a rotary which just cuts them and drops them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agt3nPjZEaM

Its size too- thats a 1.2m flail head, but its only about 800mm wide. The 2m head they make for the same machine is also 800mm wide. A rotary deck with a 2m cut would be about 2x2m wide and probably weigh close to a tonne- That heads 300kg. Means your not trying to hang a tonne of weight out on the end of an arm.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its finished. It uuuuhhhh looks a bit different than I was envisioning.
I'm heading out to Edmonton for a day or so next week so they can show me how to use this poo poo. I guess its a bit different than the older one we've got. Then it'll be on a truck to our shop.

Those things sticking out of the tower are (I assume) for the invisible guard.

About 10 years ago, some guy, got himself killed when he got caught in rotating augers. So the story goes, it was the helper's first day, and he had no idea how to shut the rig off, or where the kill switch was, if it worked or whatever. :nms: Owner of the company is supposed to have had to come out to the site and spin the augers in reverse so that paramedics could untangle what remained of his carcass. :nms: It was an old CME 55 trailer mounted rig. Once you drop the clutch on a rig like that, with mechanical rotation, it ain't stopping till you pull back on the clutch (manually), or you run out of fuel....

The rigs my company has are all hydraulic rotation and set up so that the valves spring back to "off" when you let off the handle.
Never the less there is one company that mandates the use of a guard to keep people from getting caught in the augers, even though that threat is minimized by the "deadman controls" on our, and some other company's rigs. Also some thing some thing something about Ministry of Labour rules and guarding, that doesn't actually apply to our rigs because of the hydraulic rotation and the controls going back to off, when released.

Well, those guards are awkward as gently caress, and impede production rates, and then project managers bitch because jobs take too long, because they budgeted for X number of hours that it would normally take, while not taking in to account the fact that the guard makes poo poo take so much longer.

This manufacturer has had this invisible guard equipped on some of their company (drilling division) rigs for about 10 years, and we're the first to have them on a rig made for an outside company. Yeefuckinghaw.

Hopefully that poo poo doesn't get in the way.

First thing I noticed is that track needs tensioning.

Specs n' poo poo:

Engine: Tier 4 Final 36.8 HP with Digital display.

Control center: Hydraulic control system.

Drill deck: Slide base with 18” travel.

Tower: 9’Limited access drill tower w/manual extension to 15’.

Feed slide base: 2 speed rotary head. Low gear-3381 ft/lbs of torque @ 100 RPM, High gear-1690 ft/lbs @ 200 RPM. Single feed cylinders capable of push force of 4,000 lbs and retract force of 10,000 lbs. Feed stroke 56”.

Winch: Pullmaster PL5 with 3/8” cable and safety hook, with adaption for tow mode.

Leveling jack: 4 Leveling jack system with upgraded heavy ears.

Tracking System: Variable width tracking System 35.5” to 51”.

Tracking wireless remote: For wireless maneuvering of the unit.

Chain down system: 4 Chain down point for transportation.

Crane lifting points: 4 Engineered crane lifting points.

SPT Hammer: MARL 140 Lb Auto Hammer.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I’ve noticed since I finished with my drilling company that the rock master units on the back of the cruiser Utes have all grown guards, despite the return to neutral hydraulics.

Usually changes like that only come about out of an investigation into an industrial accident...

The old rigs I used to work on doing piering for buildings used way bigger rigs on rotary tables boring holes up to 1200mm dia to 9m deep. Those rigs used the powertrains out of old 60 series diesels to run the drill shaft- 4.0L straight 6 diesels through a 4 speed gearbox and a 2.5:1 reduction box. It took a 2” copper phone trunk line wrapped around the auger to stall that out- it wasn’t going to even hesitate to consume you if you fell down the hole and got caught in the auger.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ferremit posted:

I’ve noticed since I finished with my drilling company that the rock master units on the back of the cruiser Utes have all grown guards, despite the return to neutral hydraulics.

Usually changes like that only come about out of an investigation into an industrial accident...

The old rigs I used to work on doing piering for buildings used way bigger rigs on rotary tables boring holes up to 1200mm dia to 9m deep. Those rigs used the powertrains out of old 60 series diesels to run the drill shaft- 4.0L straight 6 diesels through a 4 speed gearbox and a 2.5:1 reduction box. It took a 2” copper phone trunk line wrapped around the auger to stall that out- it wasn’t going to even hesitate to consume you if you fell down the hole and got caught in the auger.

Depending on when they started getting guards, it may have been a result of the dude I mentioned. The one company that we work for who requires it, has offices in OZ, and I recall that the dead guy's boss organized some sort of International safety conference of some kind. My boss attended and he mentioned that there were a bunch of guys from down under there.
The foundation guys around here, I think now will inspect the bottoms of holes if there is any significant length stoppage in work (lunch break basically). Story goes, about 15 years ago, a guy fell down a caisson hole, they didn't find him until they started drilling again and pulled the auger out of the hole......

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My cousin fell down one of them. Was carrying a big half sheet of plywood we put over the top of holes that are really close together so we're not endlessly digging holes out of flung mud.

4m deep, 900mm wide in damp clay. He went straight to the bottom and the big sheet of ply neatly fell over the hole. We thought the slack gently caress had gone to the pub (owners son) until we finished up the last of the holes. 3hrs later and shut the machine down and THEN could hear the screaming!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is this a good thread in which to discuss getting a fairly modern push mower running?

My wife's grandpa gave me a nearly-new Toro recycler push mower. It hasn't run for years, has been used a few times I guess and then wouldn't start. It has electric start. They lost the charger but it also has a pull cord. The battery shows 12V.

I don't know what kind of engine it is and there's no markings on it. It's four stroke though. I'll post pictures tomorrow. When I pull the cord, it's like the motor is seized. Just won't turn, drat near broke my arm trying. I pulled the spark plug and it'll turn fine.

I did get it running for about five seconds (it blew a ton of blue smoke) but it died immediately so I don't think it's seized, but I'm in unfamiliar territory and I don't know what to check or if it's worth even trying.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Check the oil level, see if it's over full from a dirty carburetor overflowing into the crankcase.

Or, if it's been mishandled / tipped over, oil could have easily flowed from the crankcase into the combustion chamber.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I still rent excavators at work, but we got a smaller Canycom tracked dump and it's The loving Jam. Thousand times easier to run material down a bench trail, carries a shitload for it's width/gradability (which is like 25 degrees tipping empty).

36" bucket sort of dwarfs it

Big one/little one.

The little one weighs nearly 2000lbs and carries 2200, big one is 5100 and carries 5500lbs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Hypnolobster posted:

I still rent excavators at work, but we got a smaller Canycom tracked dump and it's The loving Jam. Thousand times easier to run material down a bench trail, carries a shitload for it's width/gradability (which is like 25 degrees tipping empty).

36" bucket sort of dwarfs it

Big one/little one.

The little one weighs nearly 2000lbs and carries 2200, big one is 5100 and carries 5500lbs.

Hell yeah! My boss is looking at maybe getting one of those.

The company that built the drill I posted above, is also a distributor for them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Dagen H posted:

Check the oil level, see if it's over full from a dirty carburetor overflowing into the crankcase.

Or, if it's been mishandled / tipped over, oil could have easily flowed from the crankcase into the combustion chamber.

Oil level is fine, but I did notice that the air filter is coated in fuel. Does that point to the carb?

edit for a picture. I still haven't ID'd the engine or mower model yet but honestly I haven't tried that hard.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 22, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CornHolio posted:

Oil level is fine, but I did notice that the air filter is coated in fuel. Does that point to the carb?

edit for a picture. I still haven't ID'd the engine or mower model yet but honestly I haven't tried that hard.

A fuel-soaked air filter would indeed indicate a carburetor problem, most likely a gunked up needle valve not shutting off fuel flow and allowing it to overflow.

What you have there is some flavor of Tecumseh. If you were really interested in fixing it, your best bet would be to find the part number for the carburetor, then look on Amazon and eBay for a replacement. They're usually under $20.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Dagen H posted:

A fuel-soaked air filter would indeed indicate a carburetor problem, most likely a gunked up needle valve not shutting off fuel flow and allowing it to overflow.

What you have there is some flavor of Tecumseh. If you were really interested in fixing it, your best bet would be to find the part number for the carburetor, then look on Amazon and eBay for a replacement. They're usually under $20.

PN: 640303 , like $10-15 on amazon probably.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

So. This is the thermostat from our 4000hr old Massey Ferguson 6265 at work. Kinda answers and asks questions simultaneously....

On one hand, we now have an answer to why the thing would NEVER get up to operational temps unless you were thrashing its guts out.

On the other hand, just WHERE in the cooling system is the gasket that used to be there now???

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Being a pro tractor toucher is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

oooooh.... Bet that made an expensive noise.

The 4wd clutch assembly wore out on our new holland earlier in the year. $3200 repair. Clutch pack itself was only about $1100, the rest was labor, 6.5 million gaskets and seals that had to be replaced to get to it and 60L of transmission oil!

• Locked thread