Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The weekend wait was worth it because there's a whole bunch of new stuff today. Gathering all the allies was a little tough because I hadn't unlocked all the necessary areas yet, but I got it done, and now I'm a commissioned airship pilot. Pretty cool event, replacing elections with these summer catastrophes has been awesome, and I think they're the best part of the game at this point. Or at least the only time in the year that I'm guaranteed to keep playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

All wrapped up, and I think it was the best summer event yet. Time to catch up on Evolution now.

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.

Mode 7 posted:

How would people feel about a thread refresh? It's been talked about off and on for ages, and at one point marwood was even going to provide a goon code for some goodies.

offer stands, would be fun to see what you-all would put in a new thread :D

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I recently got back and I hate this pirate poo poo. Either you ignore all the pirate cards and then perhaps you get to do your business and return to London alive or even choosing the safest pirate options will inevitably kill you. I am sick of the Boatman by this point.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sekenr posted:

I recently got back and I hate this pirate poo poo. Either you ignore all the pirate cards and then perhaps you get to do your business and return to London alive or even choosing the safest pirate options will inevitably kill you. I am sick of the Boatman by this point.

Are you early game? I've been doing that without problems, but I also completed my Ambition and have maxed all my stats, as well as spending Fate on some stuff. Oh, and I just upgraded my Zubmarine to the new one from the Fruits of the Zee festival.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Are you early game? I've been doing that without problems, but I also completed my Ambition and have maxed all my stats, as well as spending Fate on some stuff. Oh, and I just upgraded my Zubmarine to the new one from the Fruits of the Zee festival.

I am in 215-230 skill range (without clothes) and also completed ambition. As for the ship - I am bitter as gently caress about it too. I forgot how ships work and accidentally traded my Zubmarine to Fruits festival pleasure yacht :negative:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Sekenr posted:

Can't you just put your corsair flag down and not bother?
https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Lower_the_Corsair%27s_colours

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Foglet posted:

Can't you just put your corsair flag down and not bother?
https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Lower_the_Corsair%27s_colours

Certainly will as soon as I'm done with Youthful Naturalist thing.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Once you’ve got a good amount of zeefaring items you can make good pirate money.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This thread seems to have kind of died, but it's currently the Feast of the Rose if anyone cares. I'm not sure there are any companions I want this time around, but haven't thoroughly investigated.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
The Diptych Painter gives +1 to a new stat so I'd grab him at least.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This thread seems to have kind of died, but it's currently the Feast of the Rose if anyone cares. I'm not sure there are any companions I want this time around, but haven't thoroughly investigated.

I'd be happy to try and bring it back, I've been playing a lot - just wasn't sure what to post into the void. I'd second the Diptych Painter, and I think the Codebreaker is also new and may have a Hallowmas upgrade like the usual new ones. Do you already have all the older companions you wanted?

Also, received Mask of the Rose as a gift, so we'll see how this is soon.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I fell off Mask of the Rose fairly quickly but they’ve done a ton of work patching it since then to allow you to experience more of it in a single playthrough, so I’m very excited to find the time to try again (predictably the issues were solely with the pacing and not at all with the writing, which is typically excellent and well-researched)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'd be happy to try and bring it back, I've been playing a lot - just wasn't sure what to post into the void. I'd second the Diptych Painter, and I think the Codebreaker is also new and may have a Hallowmas upgrade like the usual new ones. Do you already have all the older companions you wanted?

Also, received Mask of the Rose as a gift, so we'll see how this is soon.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I already got the good ones from previous years. I'll see about getting the Painter and Codebreaker.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Goodness gracious, airships

https://www.failbettergames.com/news/announcing-firmament

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If they'd asked me what I hoped they'd do the most, that would probably be it. Guess I'll have to start playing again for more than just the summer festival.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The upcoming release of Firmament inspired me to finally finish my church at Burrow-Infra-Mump and build my statues there, at Moulin, and at Marigold Station (after I finished stealing the Legenda Cosmogone for master smuggler, which I needed to finish establishing my church to do). I definitely still have some more things I can do with the GHR content, and I still need to do the Tracklayers' City content, but getting all the statues of myself feels like a pretty big endgame goal to mark off the list. Now I just regret that I built the city using Furnace instead of myself for that too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Can anyone explain how to get Discordant Studies so I can restore Furnace and Cornelius's faces? I've gone through the guide on the Wiki multiple times but I just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong and how to achieve the desired result. The whole Hurlers content was not my favorite to begin with, and going back and mucking around and still failing to do the one thing I'm trying to do is getting old.

wubafuff
Jun 14, 2020

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Can anyone explain how to get Discordant Studies so I can restore Furnace and Cornelius's faces? I've gone through the guide on the Wiki multiple times but I just cannot figure out what I am doing wrong and how to achieve the desired result. The whole Hurlers content was not my favorite to begin with, and going back and mucking around and still failing to do the one thing I'm trying to do is getting old.

Discordant Studies 1 isn't too bad, I just ran through the storyline a couple weeks ago. You do need SotC 15 if you don't already have it.

Assuming you've already unlocked the Castle, all you need to do is play a game of Hurlyburly beneath the stones, go back up to the Hurlers, and count the stones. This will give you one of three Discordant Laws (Someone Following You, Frozen Thoughts, or Another Mouth), the specific one doesn't matter in this context. A law unlocks a card in the Nadir that will give you Discordant Studies 1.

If you haven't unlocked the Castle, you'll need to progress the introductory storyline. Make sure you have at least 3,100 Prisoner's Honey and a Crystallised Euphoria to save yourself a lot of headache.

I've really enjoyed the Hurlers, but there's a LOT of levers to pull and unintuitive mechanics, especially if you want to go deeper.

wubafuff fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 27, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Maybe I just need need to go to the Nadir. I already get the opportunity card for Discordant Law in London, which I think indicates I have the other prerequisites Thanks!

Edit: Yep, that did it, but now I need a damned Irrigo-filled Mirrorcatch Box. :mad:

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 27, 2024

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hell yeah, I'm set free (of at least one quality).

wubafuff
Jun 14, 2020

I wrapped up my Seeking journey today. I liked the storyline a lot, and I think the mechanical ramifications of essentially bricking your character is still a really interesting mechanic. I've been playing for a little over a year at this point, and despite "losing" all of that progress, it felt worth it.

SMEN ending spoilers: I went with Hate, and was actually kind of disappointed how impactful my character's actions ended up being. I hadn't imagined the ending would be so straightforward (as straightforward as cosmic reckoning can be). I did end up reading through the other two endings, and I much prefer the quieter tone of Grieve. Who Is Salt is just kind of funny by virtue of being so incredibly vague.

I managed to get through all of the major storylines in the game, excluding the more expensive Discordance bits. Overall, the writing quality is inconsistent, especially around the early-mid game, but there's a lot of genuinely really fun and fascinating stuff in there. I was definitely losing a lot of steam with the railway stuff though, and the Tracklayer's City felt vaguely unfinished despite the obvious level of effort put into it. I'm excited for Firmament, even if it'll be a few months before I can get my WiS project alt to a point where he can access it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I somehow never got around to Evolution, and am doing it now. Slowly. It's really pretty drawn out, and while I'm reserving judgement for the time being, I think it might be excessively so.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Hello thread! I've been getting into Fallen London again after a brief dalliance around the release os Sunless Sea, and then coming back and reaching POSI status around 2018. Its good to be back, but I've run into a problem; I can't really remember what happened or what I should be doing next. Are there any good recaps on the pre-PSOI content, and general pointers of the vague lines of progression so I can get things back on track?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Vagabong posted:

Hello thread! I've been getting into Fallen London again after a brief dalliance around the release os Sunless Sea, and then coming back and reaching POSI status around 2018. Its good to be back, but I've run into a problem; I can't really remember what happened or what I should be doing next. Are there any good recaps on the pre-PSOI content, and general pointers of the vague lines of progression so I can get things back on track?

I think the pre-POSI stuff has been entirely reworked since you last played; have you done any of the Making your Name storylines? (They would be in your qualities under "A Name xxxx", such as "A Name Scrawled in Blood".) If not, that's probably not a bad place to start so you can get back on track, though if you're a POSI you may have high enough stats that they're relatively trivial.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Thanks for the advice, but I think I've hit all the "name scrawled in blood" ect.

Regardless, it's nice to be getting back into the world of the Fifth City. Fallen London has such a great and unique setting that I can help getting drawn back in, even if I failed to make any real mechanical progress in the games. Right now I'm largely trawling for inspiration for a Blades in the Dark game I'm running, and there's ideas a plenty to get in the right head space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

Vagabong posted:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I've hit all the "name scrawled in blood" ect.

Regardless, it's nice to be getting back into the world of the Fifth City. Fallen London has such a great and unique setting that I can help getting drawn back in, even if I failed to make any real mechanical progress in the games. Right now I'm largely trawling for inspiration for a Blades in the Dark game I'm running, and there's ideas a plenty to get in the right head space.

if you go to your dwelling tabs, there should be a couple of green bordered storylets that suggest places for you to advance the game