Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Antechamber is a similar idea. It's light on story, but it definitely has mind-bending puzzles. Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist is from the creator of Stanley Parable. Light on puzzles but a great story (it's also free and short).

Oh I played Antichamber in 2013!
Thanks for the Dr. Langeskov suggstion :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

The witness remains a sublime puzzle experience.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

forgot to post my May, so here's my May and June combined:

#61: Monster Harvest (10hr) - A well intentioned but mediocre mix of life-sim and creature collection. It just doesn't have the budget to pull either off, feeling more like a prototype than a finished game.
#62: Disassembler (4hr) - Neat little puzzle game about patching patterns together to remove tiles from the board until you clear the screen.
#63: Powerwash Simulator: Tomb Raider & FF7 DLC (16hr) [2023] - I made a precedent in past posts to count DLC as separate games, so I'm going to continue to do that, and also consider early access playthroughs and 1.0 content check-ins to be separate entries as well. The Tomb Raider DLC is great, as it's Croft Manor and you get that sort of Tomb Raider Anniversary nostalgia while cleaning the house as well as the obstacle course and hedge maze, etc, though it's not a ton of content. FF7's DLC is also a nice mix of vehicles and places, a bit more substantial, though it did have you going back to the Shinra building a lot. Not yet ranked in my top list.
#64: Dread Templar (9hr) [2023] - A fun retro shooter with a good moveset, but it could have, and should have, been shorter IMO.
#65: Super Alloy Ranger (2hr) - A low budget action platformer that punches above its weight a bit but suffers in its limited level design.
#66: TLOZ: Tears of the Kingdom (60hr) [2023] - Another solid 8/10 3D zelda experience. I actually liked Skyward Sword better but I recognize that my position is insane and unusual. Worst story of all the 3D zeldas. Ranked 2nd in my 2023 top list.
#67: Patrick's Parabox (7hr) - I love recursive puzzlers and this is THE recursive puzzler to beat... we'll see how Cocoon compares later this year..........
#68: 9 Years of Shadows (7hr) [2023] - A pretty good action Metroidvania with lovely art that managed to right the ship on most of its bugs/performance issues by the time I got to it. Not the most exploratory MV, but on par in quality with the Team Ladybug games, IMO. Ranked 4th in my 2023 top list currently.
#69: Golden Idol DLC [2023] (2hr) - It's more Golden Idol, and I enjoyed the cases. I just wish there was more! Ranked 5th in my 2023 top list currently.
#70: Excavation of Hob's Barrow (4.5hr) - A solid point and click horror adventure with an ending that would work better in a passive experience like a film rather than a videogame.
#71: My Time at Sandrock (70hr) [2023] (EA content) - A nice step up from My Time at Portia with not-great but WAY BETTER combat than the original, an interesting setting and limitations, more interesting characters, better sidequests that focus on building, and holy poo poo the game is so long lol. Where the EA content stops right now is before the last set of quests, but Pathea says that's another 20 hours (I'm hoping this is just including all side content because lol). Ranked 11th in my 2023 top list currently.
#72: Light Fairytale Ep 1 (1.5hr) - Mediocre FF7 copycat.
#73: Ravenlok [2023] (3.5hr) - The game reviewed poorly but I honestly enjoyed it... it helped that I had previously played Echo Generation so I already knew what was up, a mix of RPG and P&C adventure... the combat is much dumber than the previous game but I could swing my sword very fast and dash a lot so I was fine with it. Bad sound design, goodness. Ranked 15th in my 2023 top list currently.
#74: Slayers X [2023] (3.5hr) - I love retro shooters and this one is pretty good, it manages to take the concept of a fictitious 12 year old's "My neighborhood" DOOM campaign, and make levels out of it that are actually competent, have some interesting routes at times, and just fun moments like playable minigolf and a state fair level. The satirical tone is perfect as well. THE S BLADE HAS A HACKBLOOD CHARGE. Ranked 6th in my 2023 top list currently.
#75: GhostLore [2023] - Super fun dungeon crawler where you can attack super fast, synergize passives in an interesting way, multiclass twice. It's cool. Ranked 9th in my 2023 top list currently.
#76: Treasures of the Aegean (7hr) - Hidden gem. A parkour time loop adventure platformer where you run around a massive island solving puzzles and uncovering information that you'll utilize in future runs.
#77: HROT (7.5hr) [2023] - Incredibly fun retro shooter that is COMMITTED to its extremely brown Quake 1 aesthetic, with some insanely silly bosses to offset the brutal atmosphere of the game. Has a lovely SMG but a good shotgun so it balances out. Ranked 3rd in my 2023 top list currently.
#78: Chex Quest (1hr) - Bizarrely bad remake of a once-OK promotional FPS from the 90s. Even more bizarre, it's by the dev of Stonefly and Creature in the Well! they just didn't care about this one, I guess.
#79: Creaks (4hr) - A quite good Amanita Design adventure that has a fun little story (as is usually the case with their games) and a high volume of solid single-room puzzles, probably their best in that regard.

9 2023 games played in the last two months so I'm really starting to fill out my top list now. Octopath Traveler 2 is still my top game of 2023, but there were 6 new entries to my top 10 from this batch.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
When I post my list of recently completed/nulled games, that's also when I register them on https://www.steamcompletionist.net/. I've been holding back on posting the list in the hope that the site will return to a functional state, but it looks like it's completely gone now :(

Nulled: 112 Operator and 911 Operator
A kind of real time strategy game, where you need to manage police cars, ambulances, fire trucks and other special vehicles and their crew, around a city, while sometimes also help callers do first aid.
911 Operator is the first one with fictional cities, and in 112 Operator, you can pick any city and be an call center operator for that. I was surprised at the level of gun violence in my neighborhood in Copenhagen, when I played it.
Decently fun with a tutorial built in.

Finished: AER Memories of Old
Not a walking simulator, but a flying simulator. A beautiful and very distinct graphics style, on top of a walking simulator style game, though you'll be flying most of the time. Small puzzles here and there, but all just to have some activity going on while unlocking the story.

Finished: Assassin's Creed Valhalla + all DLCs
I love the Ubisoft collectathons and AC Valhalla is gigantic, especially if you also add the DLCs.

Finished: Batman: Arkham City GOTY
The first Batman game never clicked with me, but after finishing, and enjoying, Arkham Knights, I thought I would give the rest of the series a try since I already had them in my library.
It was pretty drat fun, though I skipped a lot of the Riddler collectables. The map itself was also really annoying since you didn't have a fast way of getting from one end to another in the half moon shape it had.
I'll definitely continue with the other ones in the series.

Nulled: Bomber Crew
A strategy/management game, which is not bad, just not my kind of game genre.

Nulled: Book of Demons
A roguelike deck builder dungeon crawler. Normally not my genre but I enjoyed the game for a couple of hours

Finished: A Building Full of Cats
Hidden Object game.

Finished: THE BUTTON
A fun little free game, where clicking a button either adds 1 to the counter or reset it. That's it, and it's weirdly fun to see if you can get all the achievements.

Finished: Call of Duty: Ghosts
Hadn't played a CoD game in a while, and next in line was CoD Ghosts, which was actually pretty decent for a CoD game. Cool set pieces and ridiculous story, and the 5-6 hours was about right for the SP campaign.

Nulled: Car Mechanics Simulator 2018
I've never cared for motors, and had hoped this was more like House Flipper, but already at the tutorial car, I was stuck in that I had no idea what was being asked of me to fix.

Finished: A Castle Full of Cats
Hidden Object game

Finished: Cloud Gardens
Super chill "puzzle" game, where you have to add plants that will grow over small dioramas.
It's not a real game, but just a nice little activity thing to do while listening to podcasts or audio books.

Nulled: Construct: Escape the System
An abstract 3D platforming puzzle game, where you have to get out of a computer system... I think.
Quite janky.

Nulled: Corridor Z
A "reverse" runner, where you have to escape zombies in buildings, and can slow them down by picking up weapons or turn over furniture while you run towards the screen.

Nulled: Creature Clicker
It's a clicker game and I had no idea what I was doing

Nulled: Crimsonland
A top-down arena shooter

Nulled: Crowman & Wolfboy
Ugh, one of those platformers where, if you don't move fast enough, you get swallowed up by something chasing you. Way too stressful for me.

Nulled: Cruel Arena
Bundle fodder

Finished: Darkness and Flame: Born of Fire
Hidden Object game

Finished: FIND ALL + 2 + 3
Hidden Object games

Nulled: Heat Signature
I really liked Gunpoint, but this one didn't click with me.

Finished: I commissioned some bees 0
Hidden Object game

Finished: Mahjong Deluxe 2: Astral Planes
A 3D mahjong solitaire game.

Nulled: Maia
I don't know why I originally supported this Kickstarter funded game, and already at the tutorial level I got stuck due to a bug.

Nulled: NOT A HERO
A Hotline Miami style game. The first couple of missions were fun, and then the difficulty level spiked out of control.

Finished: Pineapple on pizza
A fun and short free game with an awesome ending.

Nulled: Rise of Industry
Tried it out but mostly just to harvest cards. not my thing. I think I got it in a bundle.

Finished: SLUDGE LIFE
It was given away as a promo for the upcoming sequel, and it worked. It's a weird and humorous first person platformer/puzzle game, and I got so into it that I spent way too much time finding all the collectables and playing mini games etc. Looking forward to the sequel if it's more of the same.

Finished: Stray
A beautiful puzzle platforming game where you are a cat in a post apocalyptic wasteland populated by robots.
Some of the action scenes were you had to fight/escape flesh eating robots were really annoying, but thankfully there were only a handful of those levels.

Nulled: Team Racing League
A top-down racing game

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fart of Presto posted:

When I post my list of recently completed/nulled games, that's also when I register them on https://www.steamcompletionist.net/. I've been holding back on posting the list in the hope that the site will return to a functional state, but it looks like it's completely gone now :(

Yea, the creator hasn't replied to emails since last time I got in contact with him. :(
I'm very close to learning enough web development to just grab it from github and self host it for myself.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Sininu posted:

Yea, the creator hasn't replied to emails since last time I got in contact with him. :(
I'm very close to learning enough web development to just grab it from github and self host it for myself.
It's back!

quote:

Please take a look and let me know if you find anything that isn't working quite right. Sorry about the delay. On the bright side, it should be much more stable going forward.
The host had come under attack from random vulnerability scans and while it wasn't compromised, the logs filled up the disk space and the host died. I cleaned up the logs, but apache2 straight up refused to start up. Recovery was painful because it was a 10 year old server and basically nothing was working. I'd google an error and the results were not applicable because the software is so outdated. After spending way too much time on trying to fix it on the old host, I made backups and nuked everything.

So now it's running on modern software and hardware, has disk space alerts and monitoring and all that good stuff 👍

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Astlibra Revision and Frog Detective 3, feels good :)

Frog Detective I got 100% achievements, Astlibra is at 98%, the only thing missing is beating the fame on Difficult or harder... It's a great game, but I don't think I have it in me to play through the whole thing again right now.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Man, the writers in Viewfinder did the level designers and artists so dirty. Throughout the game, you're trying to figure out inventive (though not especially challenging) spatial puzzles while appreciating the aesthetic detail in every wall and skybox and digital asset, but the game also insists on having 6 NPCs jabber at you in turn as you do anything throughout any level. And even worse, the poo poo they say is this incredibly banal navelgazing about science and discovery and workmanship, in super vague terms about everything. It's so drat uninteresting even if you give it a chance. Really put a bad taste in my mouth as I enjoyed the puzzles getting harder. Also the game was too short and easy, but I'm almost glad it's over now.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

July:

#80: Chop Goblins (1hr) - Neat little FPS from the creator of DUSK. A pleasant hour and nothing more.
#81: Golf Club Wasteland (2hr)
#82: Lair of the Clockwork God (6hr) - Hybrid platformer and point n click adventure that doesn't do either amazingly but is a decent sum of its parts.
#83: Devil's Kiss (.5hr) - VN accompaniment to Lair of the Clockwork God which is required to read through in order to solve a puzzle in the main game.
#84: Lunistice(2hr) - Solid short-form 3D platformer that is honestly a lot better than the Toree games, in my opinion.
#85: Battle Axe (1hr) - Decent isometric hack-and-slash arcade game that is not worth full price.
#86: Marvel's Avengers (10.5hr) - Another decent game, as long as you only play solo and ignore the Destiny-alike elements. Same goes for the expansions below.
#87: Marvel's Avengers: Taking Aim (3.5hr)
#88: Marvel's Avengers: Future Imperfect (3hr)
#89: Marvel's Avengers: War for Wakanda (3hr)
#90: Ravva and the Cyclops Curse (.5hr) - Tiny little NES arcade platformer. Nothing remarkable.
#91: Psycron (2.5hr) - Nice little Metroidvania in the vein of Environmental Station Alpha.
#92: Wall World (18.5hr) - Very addictive roguelite with some similarity to Dome Keeper, I usually don't like roguelites at all but I ended up playing this one to the finish.
#93: Polyville Canyon (3hr) - Small city builder with very little restraints and basic goals.
#94: Cuboid Keeper (3hr) - Underrated twin-stick shooter where you switch between offensive and defensive modes by letting go of the right stick. Suck up gems to upgrade and expand your ship. Cool game.
#95: Tails of Iron (7hr) - OK 2D souls-lite with way too much padding. Emphasis on lite.
#96: Roundguard (2hr) - Not very good Peggle roguelite that at least was short.
#97: Broken Pieces (7hr) - Strange Ukrainian RE-like with an interesting premise but half-baked execution. Still thought it was worth playing through.
#98: Alfred Hitchcock's (Estate's) Vertigo (9hr) - Absolutely baffling and bonkers title from Pendulo that may be their worst since Runaway 1. A major step down from Blacksad: Under the Skin.
#99: Depths of Sanity (8hr) - Cool submarine Metroidvania with rewarding exploration, lots of upgrade pickups and decent (if by-the-numbers) story.

I also watched these animated films: Encanto (4 out of 5 stars), Strange World (3.5/5), Soul (4.25/5), Raya & the Last Dragon (3/5), Vivo (2.5/5), Spies in Disguise (3/5), Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (3.75/5), Wolfwalkers (4.25/5), Luck (1.5/5)

Next month I'm possibly going to finally start on Trails to Azure, and I'll be finishing up LEGO Bricktales. I've also got 24 Killers, Before the Green Moon, Mothmen 1966, Maquette, Jack Axe, FAR: Lone Sails, Dordogne, Super Mega Zero, Minute of Islands, Greyhat, and Tchia to play.

My 2023 top list is now up to 19. After August it should at least be 20-21. I'd like to at least get to a solid Top 25 before the year is done.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 1, 2023

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: 24 Solar Terms
I noticed this one during one of the recent demo events.
A nice and cozy little hidden object/(very) casual puzzle game, telling the story of the 24 solar terms throughout the year in China, mixing both tradition and folklore into the game.
Don't expect a brain puzzler, but more of a nice chill experience.

Nulled: Bad Rats Show
drat, what a poo poo show.

Nulled: Bear Simulator
I supported this when Kickstarter games peaked. It's a walking sim/puzzle games, but it's a bit too janky and just not as interesting as it was originally sold as.
The dev also abandoned it after one of the streamers critiqued it.

Finished: Borderlands 3 + season 1 DLC missions
It's a looter shooter with juvenile writing, but I definitely got my money's worth of entertainment.

Nulled: Death Stranding Director's Cut
Very beautiful, but extremely boring QWOP-like walking sim. Cut scenes drag on and on and is all over the place.
I get that it's the producer's signature, but I couldn't stand it.

Nulled: Deathloop
It just didn't click with me. It might be that I never got so far that I got some of the cool powers, but I kept getting annoyed by the voice over and the written hints. Weapons also felt tame.
Oh and the whole loop thing where you repeat the same thing over and over in the same location was also not my thing.

Nulled: Escape Simulator
I tried this both in coop and single player, and while it was fun enough, it's just not like the real thing.
Some of puzzles were also really annoying, where you had to use a book as a reference to decipher texts. Just too clunky.

Finished: Glass Masquerade 2: Honeylines
I really enjoy these jigsaw games. Calm atmosphere, beautiful graphics, and new mechanics.

Finished: Hidden Cats in Paris, Streets of Secrets, In The Building: Cats 1, 2 and 3 + Hamsters
Super simple hidden object games

Nulled: Ichi
Decent enough puzzle game, but I just didn't want to go through all 100+ puzzles

Finished: A Little to the Left
Another puzzle game I found during a demo event.
Each scene is a puzzle and some can be solved in several ways. Nice and calm and stress free.

Nulled: Samorost 3
I'm kind of sad that I quit this, as I love the previous ones, and all the other games from Amanita Design, but this one had way too many "do this thing in the right sequence" and puzzles based on either sound or color, which I'm really bad at.
Instead of keep trying, just to keep getting stuck and having to look up walkthroughs, I decided to quit.

Nulled: Yono and the Celestial Elephants
A fun little puzzle/adventure game where you are an elephant that can move objects around and explore an isometric world.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Beat: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Switch) - It's very deserving of the adoration it has received. I didn't find myself getting quite as sucked in by the exploration compared to BotW. I think it's because they added a lot of things to find, which made it even more overwhelming. Also, it was much easier to teleport to the sky and fly where I wanted to go instead of riding around on horseback. I liked the storyline here a bit more than BotW, but it still suffers from the problem of "here's a generic story bit that can be taken in any context regardless of the path you've taken through the game" which often has you questioning Link staring blankly at the people around him who are very confused while he obviously knows the answer from something you did in the game several times already. It has a great final boss fight, and I'm sure I'll be coming back to clean up some of the collections (but definitely not all).

Completed: The Sojourn - Someone had sold this to me as "BotW without the fighting," and that is a very inaccurate description. It's a first person puzzle game similar to Portal or The Talos Principle. It's a pretty standard puzzle game with a nice set of mechanics to figure out. Each level builds on the last, and there are extra challenges to solve throughout. The story is barely there and left much to interpretation. I enjoyed it even if my expectations were completely wrong going in.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 25, 2023

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
I just beat Rabi-Ribi for the first time, including the post-game, in about 20 hours. This is a game I first started in 2016, so it feels great to check it off the list.

The game has 220 achievements in total and a large portion of them are associated with beating the game at higher difficulties, speedrunning the game, sequence breaking, beating bosses without taking damage, etc... I was able to get 73/220 (33%), and I don't see myself getting much higher than that without spending hundreds of hours more on it.

Overall I think it's a great game but I don't have the bug to obsess over it for that long.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat: Love - A precision platformer that is very short and fun.

Nulled: Super Comboman - I Kickstarted this game ages ago, and it's not good. The controls are clunky, and it feels slow for what's supposed to be a semi-brawler.

Nulled: Hack 'n' Slash - Double Fine's 2D action adventure where you have the ability to "hack" the game. This usually amounts to turning bad guys into good guys, or resetting the password on locks. The "hacking" becomes tedious instead of fun, and the game feels unpolished.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
Completed Void Stranger : I got all of the achievements in one sitting. It's a pretty simple Game Boy game. The music is nice.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed - Haiku, the robot: What a delightful Metroidvania! The setting is interesting, the gameplay is solid, and the art style is great. It's just long enough to feel meaty but not too long to overstay its welcome. Solid all around.

One gripe with it (that I have with most Metroidvanias), there aren't enough fast travel points. But there are moves in your set to speed traversal along that it isn't a huge pain until/unless you're trying to 100% the game and have to backtrack everywhere.

Edit:

Beat - Bread & Fred: A co-op game where you climb to the top of the mountain with Ice Climber-esque physics. It gets challenging, and you really have to be on the same page with the person you're playing with. I think it recently introduced true online co-op, but we were doing local co-op through Remote Play, and it worked pretty well.

Completed - Astro's Playroom (PS5): I bought a PS5 because Spider-Man 2 is coming out soon. Astro's Playroom is a pretty good tech demo for the controller, and a legitimately good platformer.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 18, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Beat: NIOH - A Souls-like from Team Ninja. Nioh differs in significant ways from the Dark Souls series. It has randomized loot like you find in ARPGs and you select areas from an overworld screen instead of there being a few large interwoven maps. You also have stances you can switch between that change your movement and attacks. There's a lot of differences from the base Souls formula. It took me a while to get into the groove, but nice I did I had a great time.

Beat: Disgaea PC - I played the Disgaea 1 Complete edition before playing this version of the game and I would recommend that over the PC release. The PC does not include a lot of features that were backported from the newer titles for the Complete edition. Things like the third camera angle or healers gaining experience from healing friendly units. The PC version also has major bug where the base unit panel does not display on the map. This is a major problem for players who might not know the shortcut to bring your cursor straight to it and have to search for it tile by tile.

Beat: Disgaea 2 PC - This is the first time I've played Disgaea 2 and compared to Disgaea PC it has no major bugs. It's an improve in most aspects over the prior game. Although I am not a fan of the Felony system vs just stacking statisticians (these are systems that boost experience gains although felonies also... *long talk about Disgaea systems here* ) Anyway it was good and I had a fun time.

Beat: Chrono Trigger - What I am suppose to say about Chrono Trigger? It's a masterpiece.

Nulled/Broken: Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - The game kept crashing to desktop at one specific point along the main quest route where I had to enter a new area. It seemed merely ok from the few hours I played.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished: Big Adventure: Trip to Europe 3
Classic HOG without any mini games.

Finished: Cats Hidden in Bali/Italy/Paris, Find All 4: Magic, Hidden Cats in London, I commissioned some bees
I've fallen into the deep end of budget HOGs. These games takes less than 30 minutes to complete, but can usually be bought for less than €1.
Don't know why, but they are just so relaxing to play.

Finished: Saints Row (the new one)
It's definitely not as bad as it was made out to be.
Story is not great, though there are side missions that are fun. Lots of activities, Dress-up doll is closer to SR2 than the other sequels. The world seems a bit dead, in that there aren't a lot of people and cars around.
All in all a solid mid-tier open world shooter, and the intro prize was a decent ~66% off, so I got plenty of entertainment for my money.

Finished: Sniper Elite 5 + all DLCs
It's an even more refined version of Shoot Hitler (and all other nazis) in the balls (or ball).
Played the campaign and all DLCs in coop with Kragger99, and we had a blast doing it.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Completed: New Super Lucky's Tale - A charming, easy 3D platformer. Overall good fun

"Beat": Sea of Thieves - I was only in it for the Tall Tales, and I finished all of them now that the final Monkey Island one is out. The game is beautiful, but the core "be a pirate and constantly be on the lookout for other assholes" gameplay isn't my thing. I won't be back unless there's a really good Tall Tale in the future.

Edit:

Beat: Super Chibi Knight - A Zelda 2-esque Flash game from Newgrounds expanded and released on Steam. It definitely feels like a Flash game - weird hit boxes, sorta unpolished, and not a lot of good playability standards. It's short and not very punishing, so I didn't feel like my time was wasted. About halfway through the game there's a story split, and you can't experience both without replaying the game (no save slots). This was very annoying to me because I didn't want to replay the game to see that other path.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 12, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

woops! it's been a while since i posted in here. here's my august through october (and yes, I count expacs separately as I have done this for DLC in the past):

#100: LEGO Bricktales (13hr)
#101: Ladybug Quest (3hr)
<-- a hidden gem! a spiritual successor to the ps1 frogger games, done very well
#102: Super Mega Zero (3hr) <-- another hidden gem! a fast-paced platformer with a cool aesthetic and fun mechanics
#103: Mothmen 1966 (2.5hr)
#104: Almost There (2hr)
#105: The Spectrum Retreat (4hr)
#106: Mad Age & This Guy (4hr)
#107: Quake II Remastered (5.5hr) [2023]
#108: Quake II: The Reckoning (4.5hr)
#109: Quake II 64 (2.5hr)
#110: Quake II: Ground Zero (6hr)
#111: Vasara 2 (1hr)
#112: Quake II: Call of the Machine (4hr) [2023] - SCORE: 79
#113: Vasara (2hr)
#114: Quake 1 Remastered: Base Campaign (5.5hr)
#115: Quake 1: Dimension of the Past (2hr)
#116: Quake 1: Dimension of the Machine (4hr)
#117: Turok 1 (7.5hr)
#118: Turok 2 (10hr)
#119: Pacman World 2 (4.5hr)
#120: Quake 1: Scourge of Armagon (3hr)
#121: Pacman World 3 (6.5hr)
#122: Quake 1: Dissolution of Eternity (4hr)
#123: World War (1hr)
#124: Time Warriors (.5hr)
#125: Chopper I (.7hr)
#126: Prehistoric Isle (.5hr)
#127: Beast Busters (1hr)
#128: Ikari Warriors (1hr)
#129: Ikari 2: Victory Road (1hr)
#130: Ikari 3: The Rescue (1hr)
#131: Sea of Stars [2023] (22hr) - SCORE: 77.5
#132: Grandia III (30hr)
#133: Pseudoregalia [2023] (4.5hr) - SCORE: 73.5
#134: Ys Ark of Napishtim (10hr)
#135: Trails to Azure [2023] (36hr) - SCORE: 75.5
#136: Gravity Circuit [2023] (4.5hr) - SCORE: 80.5
#137: Double Dragon Gaiden [2023] (2hr) - SCORE: 77
<-- while I wouldn't call this a "gem", it's definitely a decent and overlooked game this year
#138: Rusted Moss [2023] (8.5hr) - SCORE: 69.5
#139: WH40K: Boltgun [2023] (9.5hr) - SCORE: 73
#140: Mon-Yu [2023] (40hr) - SCORE: 61.5
#141: Redfall [2023] (13hr) - SCORE: 70
#142: Vividlope [2023] (5.5hr) - SCORE: 85
<--- my current #1 in GOTY ranking
#143: Zortch [2023] (4hr) - SCORE: 73
#144: Afterimage [2023] (40hr)
- SCORE: 76.5[/b]

obviously a lot of games but still behind my pace last year. getting to 200 by end of year is probably impossible. UNLESS...... I press the cheat button and play more games from the Dread X Collections (which are all an hour long) or play more arcade games to completion. i still have a lot of 2023 games to play through though!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 3, 2023

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
In between sessions of Starfield, I've played a bunch of these tiny Hidden Object games.

Finished: Big Adventure: Trip to Europe 2
Classic style HOG: No story, just HO scenes. :denmark: still not represented :(

Finished: Hidden Cats in Spooky Town/in Town, Seach All - Animals/Bitcoin/Buds/Candy/Cats/Mice/Spiders/Sushi, I commissioned some bees 2
I really enjoy the art in the "I commissioned.." series, and some of scenes have a decent level of difficulty.
The rest are just pure podcast fodder, but I still enjoy them.

Nulled: Nomad Survival
I believe this is in the same category as Vampire Survivors, and was free on Fanatical.
Definitely not a genre I'll go back to.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Beat: Submerged - a chill, exploration game where you drive a boat around a flooded world searching for medicine for your sick brother. It's a little rough around the edges, but an okay game.

Completed: McPixel 3 - if you're familiar with McPixel, this is more of the same. You are presented with pixel-art scenes and need to find the correct "gag" to proceed. It's kind of a HOG with sophomoric humor. There are a few minigames sprinkled throughout that aren't point-and-click based, which breaks the monotony a bit.

Completed: Spider-Man 2 (PS5) - I really like this series. This iteration wasn't as good as the previous two, but it was still a great game.

My kids' corner:

Completed: Alba: A Wildlife Adventure - a chill, exploration game where you play as a girl roaming an island taking pictures of wildlife. It's very beautiful and easy to control for kids.

Edit:
Completed: Super Mario Wonder (Switch) - a wonderful addition to the 2D Mario series. The wonder seeds change the game in unexpected and enjoyable ways. The online mode allows for wholesome interactions with online shadows. I wish that they would allow the "easy mode" characters (Yoshis and Nabbit) to use power ups. It unnecessarily upsets my kids, and I can't fathom why they wouldn't have allowed for it.

Beat: Operation Tango - this is an asymmetric co-op game where one player is a Hacker and the other is an Agent. The Hacker player does a lot of puzzle-type challenges on a screen while the Agent character is running around on the ground trying to find and interact with things. Both players have to work together to help each other achieve their goals. It's a short experience (even after playing both sides), but it was fun while it lasted.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 15, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

look we all hosed up and didn't post our completions in december. i didn't post them for october or november i think!! (I finished the year at 180 games/dlc beaten fwiw)

let's get back on track with our january completions:

#1) Linelith (1.5hr) - Chill little line-drawing puzzler with some fun 'outside the box' moments
#2) Hylics (3.5hr) - The infamous claymation JRPG, it was ok, it didn't rock my world like it does for others
#3) Andro Dunos 2 (1hr) - Sequel to a Neo Geo-era shmup, pretty fun but brainless
#4) ElecHead (1.5hr) - Great (though short) indie platformer with simple mechanics but used brilliantly
#5) Murderous Muses (4hr) - FMV investigation game by the makers of The Shapeshifting Detective. probably their best outing in terms of replayability that goes beyond just "the killer is random" (though that's still a thing)
#6) Jusant (4.5hr) - The Ico of mountain climbing, gaming's ambrosia
#7) Rise of the Third Power (22hr) - A recent RPG by the developers of Ara Fell, nothing spectacular but it was entertaining and charming in its own way
#8) Super Mario Wonder (8hr) - A mainline Mario entry that is simultaneously inventive and rote. Deserved performance music over synths.
#9) False Skies (30hr - 25 for end1, +7hr to get end2) - Awesome GBC-inspired JRPG with multi-multi-multi-multiclassing and a huge bestiary.
#10) Frogun (5.5hr) - OK 3d platformer
#11) Umihara Kawase Shun (.5hr) - Why the second one first? Well because it was a little bit easier than the first's "10 lives, 0 continues" style. Also the physics are more forgiving.
#12) Minoria (5hr) - The black sheep of the Momodora family, but, hey, it was perfectly fine. I liked it.
#13) Night Cascades (3hr) - Cute, but toothless yuri visual novel about a supernatural mystery bringing a cop and a fantasy author together to solve it.
#14) Start Again: A Prologue (6hr) - A great introduction to In Stars and Time that serves as both a prototype and a prequel to the main game.
#15) House Builder [2024] (25hr) - One of those many middling simulator games, this one is nothing special except for how bizarrely ignorant it is
#16) Strangeland (2.5hr) - A highly unique point and click adventure inspired by Sanitarium that, in my opinion, manages to do it better.
#17) Slay the Princess (2.5hr) - A great visual novel with high replayability and a lot of meta humor/story that doesn't wear itself thin.
#18) Killer Frequency (5hr) - A better take on what Interference: Dead Air tried to achieve, as you try to save people calling into your radio show from a masked killer. Still a little basic in execution, but far more varied in its beat to beat.
#19) Final Fantasy IV (15hr) - That's right, I've never played FF4 before. I chose the PSP version and had a good time with it, despite my issues with how poorly balanced your party is from start to finish. Some truly unhinged party configurations throughout the campaign.
#20) Golden Sun (13.5hr) - I was never a huge fan of Golden Sun's storytelling style and decided that I was finally, once and for all, going to grin and bear it and finish this drat thing. And I did! Well, sorta. The game ends on a cliffhanger. I don't know that I liked enough of what I played to continue to The Lost Age, but I'm glad that it was relatively short and not too punishing for not collecting every single Djinn.
#21) Aldynes (2.5hr) - Woof. I like shmups, I can even tolerate hard shmups with the help of savestates, but what even the gently caress. This one is so hard!! Why!! I've played other PC Engine shmups that were tough but they were nowhere near as annoying or trial-and-error memorization as this one, including a final boss that feels like a flat out troll. I had to watch other people's playthroughs to understand what I was supposed to do. And though I did, then, do it, I wasn't happy about it!!!

The plan for February: more Umihara Kawase, Fobia: St. Dinfna Hotel, Ghostwire Tokyo, Cruelty Squad, Killer7, River City Girls, Dragon Quest 7, Sweet Home, and more 2023 cleanup (I'm near the end of Hi-Fi Rush, for example)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Like a lot of you, I have that thing in the back of my mind as I look through my wish list on Steam and I think 'well, if I only owns these <#> games, I'd be all set and wouldn't feel like owning another one. Honest!', and it's never the case.

And knowing this about me still doesn't stop me from feeling it! Right now, I'm kind of pining after 3 titles that I swear I won't buy until there's a sale.

Tetris Effect Connected, Tony Hawk's Pro Slater 1 and 2 (the latest, good one), and Voxelgrams. And I have the first two games on Switch already, but I don't play the Switch that often anymore, thanks to the Steam deck.

Anyway, as far as my backlog is concerned, I generally consider a game DONE-done when I have all of the achievements for it. I recently finished off Subnautica, 100%-ing that, which isn't tough because they're all basically story related, or stuff you'd do along the way anyway. The only other game I have 100% of in my library is Pac Man Deluxe Championship Edition or whatever it's called.

Sure, I'll go back to them from time to time, but they're no longer 'gotta finish someday' games.

I'm planning on finally finishing off RE4 (the original) as well as No Man's Sky, as I have 2 and 4 achievements left in those, respectively.

Other games I'm chipping away at, when I'm not working:

- Baldur's Gate 3
- Pictopix
- American Truck Simulator
- Hades
- Monster Hunter Rise
- Shadows of Doubt (on hold for a bit until the controller setup is fixed up and optimized)
- both Katamari games
- Doom Eternal

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

The 7th Guest posted:

look we all hosed up and didn't post our completions in december. i didn't post them for october or november i think!! (I finished the year at 180 games/dlc beaten fwiw)

There's the recent i just beat a video game thread that has a similar vibe to this one and is much more active. Maybe people are posting there now?

For me:

Beat: Super Mario RPG (Switch) - A delightful remake of the SNES classic RPG. The new battle mechanics reduce the grind (but also make the game much easier). The added animations are wonderful, and I enjoyed getting to replay the game in an updated form.

Beat: Curse of the Sea Rats - I had kickstarted this game (because I'm a sucker), and it was fine. It's a competent metroidvania from a small indie studio. The artwork is hand-drawn and beautiful, and there are several, well-done animated cutscenes. However, the gameplay itself is mediocre. The controls felt clunky at times, and the animations would sometimes take too long or start up at the wrong time. There isn't a lot of variety in the enemies, and most of the bosses are easily cheesed (or their patterns are super easy to learn). My biggest gripe is that they turn fast travel off during the end game, so to wrap up any side quests or finish optional bosses, you have to trudge through the entirety of the map to get where you want to go. And they don't really warn you this is going to happen, so I was caught off-guard.

I enjoyed it, and if you're looking for another metroidvania to play and have played all the others, this will certainly scratch that itch. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it over the many other stellar examples of the genre.

Nulled: Candle - It's an adventure puzzle game similar to the old Oddworld games. I wanted to like it, but the character is sluggish and the puzzles are regularly obtuse. I couldn't be bothered to keep looking up solutions.

Nulled: Mutant Mudds - A decent arcade platformer with a mechanic based on screen depth. It didn't grab me, though, so I put it down.

Edit:

Completed: Celeste 64 - A Nintendo 64 inspired platformer from the Celeste team. They said it was made in about a week, so it's not very fine-tuned. But it was still really fun.

Nulled: Praey for the Gods - This really wanted to be Shadow of the Colossus, but they tried to add too many mechanisms to it. The extra systems were completely unnecessary - weapon degradation, crafting, hunger, cold - no one needs that in Shadow of the Colossus. The controls are sluggish, and the world is bland. The enemies / mini-bosses in the map have no indication of how long they'll take to kill. It's easier to just run away to the next colossus god. The gods themselves are boring and cumbersome. If they had focused on being a true clone of SotC, they may have had something here. But I think they tried to differentiate themselves too much and ended up failing.

Completed: Here Comes Niko! - a chill 3D platformer where the goal is to help people with their simple problems (catching fish, reuniting missing friends, playing volleyball, etc.). The game is not challenging, so it's perfect to play while watching TV or listening to music or whatever. The art design is Paper Mario-esque and cute. The controls are fine - you can jump and dive all over the drat place. I encountered some glitches, but nothing game breaking. Overall, a cute and chill game to vibe with.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Feb 16, 2024

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I have played waaaay too many of these hidden cat games lately, but I just enjoy finding cats (or whatever the objects are) and just listen to a podcast.

Finished: A whole big bunch of Waldo 'em ups
100 Asian Cats, 100 Christmas Cats, An Arcade Full of Cats, Cats and Seek, Cats Hidden in Georgia, Cats Hidden in Maple Hollow, Ever Seen A Cat?, Ever Seen A Cat? 2, Hidden Cats in Santa's Realm, Looking For Cats in a Badly Drawn City, Looking For Cats in a Badly Drawn Forest, Search All - Christmas, Search All - Mushrooms
...help?

Nulled: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Super bad optimized, which was also what everyone in Steam forums said. Kept getting slower and slower and then just crashed. Couldn't be bothered to try and get it to work, as I had gotten to play the most important set piece in the game: Press F to Pay Respect!

Finished: Call of Duty: Black Ops III
Not as fun as the previous Blops games. Too many "dream sequences" and too many special powers that didn't work at the end game anyway, due tot the AI controlling bots etc.

Finished: Christmas Adventure: Candy Storm
Played this HOG during Christmas time to get in the mood. Didn't work, but finished a game in my backlog.

Nulled: Cook, Serve Delicious! 3?!
I had a lot of fun playing #1, didn't like #2 and realized that I've become too old to be able to play #3.
Everything was way too fast for me to handle

Finished: Detective Holmes: Trap for the Hunter
A Hidden Object game

Nulled: Dream Pinball 3D
Crashed my PC hard when starting it up. Couldn't be bothered to try an see if I could get it to run.

Finished: DREDGE
Absolutely loved this little fishing game. A perfect balance between fun and horror.

Finished: The LEGO Movie 2 - Videogame
It was fun, but I missed the classic mission-based games, even when they are in an open world. There was a bit too much mega-building to do here as well.

Finished: Logic Town
Great little logic puzzle and some god DLCs as well.

Finished: Monument Valley
Very stylish phone puzzle game I finally got around to playing. Quite easy but I guess you wouldn't play it only for the puzzles.

Finished: Polimines
Fun take on mine sweeper and nonograms/picross

Finished: Powerwash Simulator and DLCs
I love cleaning stuff with a power washer

Finished: Unpacking
Cute little puzzler with a built in story

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

It's been a while, so this is going to be a long post.

COMPLETED: Spiritfarer. The gameplay is the cooking/crafting/farming sort of thing, and it's not a good example of that type of gameplay loop. The writing, on the other hand, is genuinely excellent. The story kept me interested enough to put up with the gameplay, but your mileage may vary.

COMPLETED: Modern Tales: Age of Invention. An Artifex Mundi Hidden Object Game. It's a good story set in the very early 20th century, focused on the famous figures and technology of the time (Coco Chanel is a major character), but then it gets spoiled near the end as Artifex Mundi couldn't resist forcing the usual magic crystals into the plot.

COMPLETED: Heart's Medicine I: Season One. A casual time-management game set in a hospital. The story and character interactions are the main draw here, and it's basically a playable medical drama. This particular game is like House, in that it desperately tries to pretend to be about medicine instead of interpersonal drama. I liked it, but it's a bit rough compared to the (first) sequel.

COMPLETED: Noir Chronicles: City of Crime. An AM HOG. I remember not liking this one much, but it's been 18 months since I played it and I can't remember why. I'll quote the mini-review I wrote on Backloggery the day I finished it: "Just low quality, in a way I can't describe". So, there it is. Bad, and not the memorable kind of bad.

COMPLETED: Heart's Medicine II: Time To Heal. This one stops caring about the medicine and goes full Grey's Anatomy, and it's honestly better because of it. The rough edges of its predecessor have been sanded off, and the story is more interesting. Also, can I talk about how Daniel is an unreliable shithead, and the main character Allison is far better off with Connor? I mean, Connor has his own flaws, but he's so much more of a stable adult than Daniel.

COMPLETED: Chronicles of Magic: Divided Kingdoms. An AM HOG. A decent if somewhat unoriginal fantasy tale. One of AM's better games.

COMPLETED: Fantasy Zone I (Master System). I bought a Mega SG a while back to (re-)play my old Master System and Mega Drive games. I started with this one. It's one of the great classics in the side-scrolling shooter genre. It really needs to be played with a turbo controller, though.

COMPLETED (again?): Alex Kidd in Miracle World (Master System). Another great classic. I may have completed this as a kid, but that was 30 years ago, and I can't remember if I actually finished it back then. I'm not sure what genre to call it, though. Action RPG? Platformer?

COMPLETED: Storyteller. Each level consists of this: You are given a small number of characters and locations, and you have to make a story matching the title of the level. It's good, and my main complaint is that there simply isn't enough of it.

COMPLETED: Vampire Survivors. Monsters die, the screen fills with colours and particle effects, and I am happy. I did start to get bored of it after the first 100 hours, but anything I can play for that long deserves a massive recommendation. Every time they release a new update, I will reinstall it.

COMPLETED: Vampire Survivors: Legacy of the Moonspell. This DLC is worth buying because you get more Vampire Survivors.

COMPLETED: Disney Dreamlight Valley. I've heard it described as "Animal Crossing with Disney characters". There's a lot of stuff to do, and the amount of grinding required to do all the quests is surprisingly light for a live service game. I love it. Does this make me a Disney adult?

COMPLETED: Vampire Survivors: Tides of the Foscari. This DLC is worth buying because you get more Vampire Survivors. Better than Legacy of the Moonspell; might even be better than the main game.

PLAYED: Desktop Dungeons. I gave up on this one because the combat mechanics are unintuitive, and the game is very bad at teaching you how to use them properly.

COMPLETED: Growing Up. A raising sim. I liked it at the time, but I can't remember any really standout moments.

COMPLETED: Dapper WALL-E Dream Bundle. A small DLC for Dreamlight Valley. The included quests and clothing were nice, but given I paid about AU$25 for it I feel like I got ripped off.

COMPLETED: Street Hero (GameKing). The GameKing is a Chinese handheld with a black & white display and a lower resolution than a mid-1990s Nokia mobile phone. It was released in 2004 to compete with the Game Boy Advance; you can probably guess how that went. I find the system strangely compelling for its minimalist charm. As for Street Hero, it's a side-scrolling beat-em-up, Streets of Rage style. It's a very short game, but I had fun with it.

COMPLETED: Ursula's Transformation Dream Bundle. Another small DLC for Dreamlight Valley, and much better than the first Dream Bundle. It has twice as much content, so unlike last time I feel I got my money's worth.

COMPLETED (again): Yakuza 0. I said years ago in this thread that sometimes I finish a game, and then I get an itch in my brain that tells me I haven't completed it properly, and I should do it again. Here's another of those times. Still excellent the second time around.

COMPLETED: Vampire Survivors: Emergency Meeting. This DLC is worth buying because you get more Vampire Survivors. The fact that it's a collaboration with Among Us doesn't really make much difference to the base gameplay.

COMPLETED: Disney Dreamlight Valley: A Rift in Time. A full-on old-school expansion pack. Although it's not finished yet (there are two updates planned that will add the rest of the expansion), it's still worth getting as-is right now. Of course, if you didn't like the base game, this expansion won't change your mind.

COMPLETED: Immortals Fenyx Rising: The Lost Gods. They tried to turn a third-person action game into a Diablo-style ARPG. It mostly works, but there's one critical flaw: The camera. See, most Diablo-style games don't have climbing. This one does, and combining vertical movement with a fixed isometric camera (so you can't look up) is extremely irritating. What makes it worse is this DLC had far more work put into it than the first two IFR DLCs. There are new enemies that aren't just reskins of old ones, and there's a story nearly as large as the one in the base game. It could have been the best DLC for IFR, but here we are.

Next up: I'm going to play something light and short: Townopolis. I liked the other two games in the series.

EightDeer fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Finished up some large games and some DLCs

Finished: 100 hidden birds
HOG

Finished: DoronkoWanko
A fun little free game, where you play as a small dog that tries to make a huge mess inside a new house

Finished: Gamedec - Definitive Edition
A pretty good cyberpunk RPG/Adventure game.

Finished: The House of Da Vinci 2
Solve puzzles like The Room

Finished: Logic Town Country Fair DLC
A bunch of new levels for this relaxing logic puzzle game

Nulled: Marvel's Avengers - The Definitive Edition
I bought it super cheap, so I have no issues with stopping when it got too annoying. I'm just not a fan of combo brawlers

Finished: PowerWash Simulator Warhammer 40K DLC
A great addition to an already great chillout game

Finished: Purrfectly Hidden Cats - Kittenrock
It's a free HOG

Finished: Starfield
At first I really enjoyed it. Love the aesthetics and the shooting was decent too. Then I started playing the missions, and especially the main quest was awful.
And what's with all those planets where nothing happens on?
At some point you can also get Jedi Powers but I don't think I ever used them once. The same for the manipulation, outside of the mission where I got the power. Early on I stole a huge spaceship, so never found the need to create one myself. And like the whole outpost building? Ugh, you can just pick up or buy whatever you need of raw materials.

Finished: Where's My Loot?
Very simple HOG

Nulled: Zigfrak
Some space shooter bundle fodder