Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Doesn't Toriyama get quoted as saying that if he knew how much work it was going to be going in, he never would've agreed to do the art for DQ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

Doesn't Toriyama get quoted as saying that if he knew how much work it was going to be going in, he never would've agreed to do the art for DQ?

Yes. But Toriyama was also notorious for claiming to be lazy.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yes. But Toriyama was also notorious for claiming to be lazy.

Conversely, Hironobu Sakaguchi tweeted out a mini-eulogy where he mentioned that Toriyama taught him the meaning of what a job is, and what professionalism entails.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Are there any breakdowns that detail the exact changes between the different remakes of 1-3? I finally did a playthrough of the Switch version of 1 and it felt like it was harder than the Mobile or GBC remakes.

Well "harder" in that it seemed like the enemies actually had a minimal amount of AI and didn't spam spells after being hit with Fizzle/Stopspell, I couldn't Stopspell the first form of the Dragonlord, and late-game enemies punched harder than I recalled.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:hmmyes:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:sickos:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hokuto posted:

Conversely, Hironobu Sakaguchi tweeted out a mini-eulogy where he mentioned that Toriyama taught him the meaning of what a job is, and what professionalism entails.

I did say claiming. I think it's pretty obvious the man worked insanely hard. But that was the persona he projected/self image he had.

riptidejim
Mar 11, 2024

Have a good night!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Man I finally beat DQ11 last night and that was just so much fun. Act 3 really got challenging in a way I wasn't expecting, but in a good way. And I loved where the story went. I just really really enjoyed this game. Goddamn it was so good!

i played dragon quest 11 after finishing final fantasy 7 for the first time and going in i was really missing the cast of ff7. it made me worry that i wasn't gonna get as attached to dq11's cast, or maybe just not as quickly. but i ended up loving not only the cast, but the story and the adventure too. it still has me excited for dq12, just waiting on... literally any news about it.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

riptidejim posted:

but i ended up loving not only the cast, but the story and the adventure too.

If someone had told me when the hero first met him that Sylvando would end up being my favorite character and I would get teary-eyed for part of his story arc, I would not have believed them.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Qylvaran posted:

If someone had told me when the hero first met him that Sylvando would end up being my favorite character and I would get teary-eyed for part of his story arc, I would not have believed them.

Sylv is awesome.

He shares a ton of Dragon Quest Main Protagonist or just general fantasy story protagonist traits too. Wandering heir of a noble house. Good at pretty much everything he does including swordplay and magic. Everyone likes him. Not sure I even need to spoiler this but they actually could have made it work if in act two they replaced the hero with him in act two when it looks like everyone is dead. Not that I ever would have expected that to happen but I would have had a ton of respect for that choice if they'd gone that way.

He needs his own game.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Qylvaran posted:

I spent all of Act 1 waiting for Sylvando to betray the party and turn out to be evil and it just never happened. 10/10.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sylvando is the greatest jrpg character ever made.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sylvando is both a true knight and a true entertainer, with no contradictions.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mustached Demon posted:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Mustached Demon posted:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sylvandowns

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bbcisdabomb posted:

I spent all of Act 1 waiting for Sylvando to betray the party and turn out to be evil and it just never happened. 10/10.

Hard same. At the least I expected the boat to be stolen and the hero to end up wanted for even more crimes

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Quiet Feet posted:

Sylv is awesome.

He shares a ton of Dragon Quest Main Protagonist or just general fantasy story protagonist traits too. Wandering heir of a noble house. Good at pretty much everything he does including swordplay and magic. Everyone likes him. Not sure I even need to spoiler this but they actually could have made it work if in act two they replaced the hero with him in act two when it looks like everyone is dead. Not that I ever would have expected that to happen but I would have had a ton of respect for that choice if they'd gone that way.

He needs his own game.

If Act 2 started out with you playing as Sylvando and encountering Eleven, then swapping to have you play as Eleven up until that meeting point, it would've been pretty amazing and now I wish that had happened.

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
So just started XI yesterday, wanted to play though a DQ in honor of Toriyama and figured hey I've been meaning to play it and it's on sale, let's get to it. Just finished my second play session after meeting Serena, really enjoying the game so far! Really charming so far, and I have no idea where the plot's going but I'm pretty interested in it already. The return trip to Cobblestone took me completely off guard. Once I figured out what was going on I was real worried I was going to return to the present with the town being destroyed and welp!!!! There didn't seem to any bodies though, so hopefully the villagers were just captured :(. Messed up your grandpa's like "oh of course I would know my grandson!" but your mom just tells you to get out of her house.

Game's a bit easy so far, but considering I still only have 2 party members I'm sure the game's just being nice for the time being.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Without any of the extra difficulty modifiers XI is a pretty easy game. I didn't use manual control at all until the final boss of Act 1, and then turned it off again until the last boss of Act 2.

The Ai is alright for most bosses and mobs but cannot come anywhere near the damage potential a human with planning can. So busting out the manual controls actually feels pretty good and makes the game pretty smooth to play. Your real decisions are all in the equipment and skills anyways.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Playing manual is fun, imo. I never used autobattling in XI, except for like a bit of spot grinding I did in the demo on Switch.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

As a general DQ rule, I almost always use AI for trash mobs, and manual for bosses. AI can sometimes exploit vulnerabilities that you'd only know by looking at the resistances in the wiki. DQ11's AI seems kinda dumb compared to past games, though.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

autobattle gets worse the stronger skills you get, it doesn't seem to take into account doing excessive damage so it'll happily eat up all your mp using your most powerful moves constantly

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ofecks posted:

As a general DQ rule, I almost always use AI for trash mobs, and manual for bosses.

This is me. I enjoy DQ combat but also relish going hands-off and haking a toke while the crew takes care of business.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I go DQ4 style, Hero is manual and everyone else is AI.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you guys are nuts i only ever turn on AI for grinding. half the fun of a jrpg is telling somebody to do something

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If it’s not a boss why are you bothering me just do whatever is how I feel about most RPG parties

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Hell I put the Hero in the wagon whenever I can in the games where you can't turn them over to AI.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Auto for mooks is just how dq do. I've always done it this way and always will

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Managing fatigue is a very important part of most RPGs. So auto battle is always a gift.

I made liberal use of it throughout 11 and put 240 hours into the game lol. In one go. I can get burnout 30 hours into a lot of RPGs

Zeta Zetton
Nov 2, 2012
Just got the boat and explored a bit, and man this game is good times. Couple years back I played through the switch ports of the original trilogy and there's something enjoyable about how this game, released decades after, still so heavily feels like it's part of the same series. Same vibes, same aesthetics, same base gameplay, yet it doesn't feel outdated what-so-ever. Besides for when it made me do a 2d dungeon with random encounters every few steps but I'll ignore that. Dragon Quest.....is good.

But that poo poo's not important. What is important is one of the things I had heard about this game before playing it was that Sylvando owns. Like the previous 9 posts before I made my last post was mostly people say that thing! Now having met the man and having him with me for a bit? Guys I don't know how to tell you this but Sylvando owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Zeta Zetton posted:

Besides for when it made me do a 2d dungeon with random encounters every few steps but I'll ignore that.

I saved most of the Tickington sidequests until the third act, which I don't necessarily regret because some of the mini-boss fights in the later quests can be pretty difficult. They're all optional besides the one it makes you do. But IIRC if you do them as they come along, you can get slightly better items than what you'd normally have by that point in the game.

Enjoy the game, it's incredible and I love the sailing theme that it reuses from DQ4. Sylvando owns.