Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I’m at a “startup” that’s pretty much on the way to morphing into a medium size biotech, I liked the individual impact up front but the growing pains are very real.

Doubled my comp from pharma though, which is pretty great. Benefits are around the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Seems they want me to come in end of the month, also need to give a technical presentation. Since everything I have done is owned by my current or past employers how do people usually go about making presentations in this case?

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
I’ve got my year and change in at the lab finally which is making me feel a bit more confident. Any word on what IT/ data analysis certs something like a bioinformatics or B2B chemical company would want? I feel I’m leaning towards business information over the MBA or masters I mentioned earlier because I’d need to take a paycut to get on at a larger company with “potential” for a growth opportunity, has anyone else had to step back like this?

Only having a handful of staff means I’ve used, and maintained a ton of analytical equipment most people wouldn’t get to touch let alone rebuild / standardize this early on, but there’s no opportunity to get a management role here since there are so few of us. Even though I’ve helped to train a couple new hires, I don’t think this necessarily qualifies me to look into supervisory roles elsewhere since that appears to be such a massively different skill set.

Edit: I guess I should mention I had a “lead” title at a tech job 7 years ago but that amounted to some light project management, interviews and training. I didn’t have a team with delegated tasks or anything.

Matryoshka SexDoll fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 8, 2024

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I have been looking around for a job for the first time in a while, and I am surprised by all of the AI driven biotech companies popping up. Most of them seem to be founded by computer people first, and then they hire scientists, and they do not seem to know much about drug development. I interviewed with senior management at one, and he was talking about being in Phase 3 in November when they do not even have any biology established or a lead molecule. I can see how AI can assist in speeding up some protein design or med chem type stuff and maybe shave off a few months early in a program, but it is still going to be a multi-year process. It could be a small department at a biotech, when right now it feels like they are tech companies with a small biology group.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 15, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

move fast, break things, pretend the FDA doesn't exist

I was tempted to go after VC funding with some random AI startup side gig last year because I'm convinced that any sufficiently good CV with a slick enough powerpoint deck was just getting tens of millions thrown at it in 2023

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

I have been looking around for a job for the first time in a while, and I am surprised by all of the AI driven biotech companies popping up. Most of them seem to be founded by computer people first, and then they hire scientists, and they do not seem to know much about drug development. I interviewed with senior management at one, and he was talking about being in Phase 3 in November when they do not even have any biology established or a lead molecule. I can see how AI can assist in speeding up some protein design or med chem type stuff and maybe shave off a few months early in a program, but it is still going to be a multi-year process. It could be a small department at a biotech, when right now it feels like they are tech companies with a small biology group.

Pretty much, yeah.
We have done work for a number of the known ones and my impression is that the peak has passed since a lot of these companies have failed to deliver on their promises.
Preparatory work such as setting up proper experimental platforms was skipped and instead anything that generated quick mediocre results was chosen as approach.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

This has been my experience talking with people working at these companies, they seem convinced that pharma is like any other tech industry where they can "disrupt the model" and then seem perplexed when they find out everything we do is heavily regulated by the FDA. I know my employers computational department has been looking for target molecules for years so I assume that will just do it faster using AI systems.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Were they buying an existing asset? I’ve worked at a biotech with that model, although vetting products for acquisition is a lot of data to work through if they’ve already gone into phase 2.

Rare diseases and oncology can sometimes move pretty fast from dose finding to a combined P2/3 protocol too.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Colleague 1: Our MS data searches grind to a halt over night when nobody is at the computer due to some windows powersave function that can't be disabled by IT.

Colleague 2: Say no more.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

move fast, break things, pretend the FDA doesn't exist

You forgot one step: "get acquired before Phase III."

That's where all the poo poo inevitably comes tumbling down. You can make anything look feasible until Phase III trials, at which point you'd better have a real product or you're about about to get hosed.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pain of Mind posted:

As someone also looking for a job, the vast majority of chemistry-related positions all seem to be BioPharmaOrganicTech which is annoying as that's not what I do at all.

It sucks

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zudgemud posted:

Colleague 1: Our MS data searches grind to a halt over night when nobody is at the computer due to some windows powersave function that can't be disabled by IT.

Colleague 2: Say no more.

What do we call this so I can give proper credit to the author?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Analogue wristwatch with a ticking second hand placed under an optical mouse usually works for me but the shaker is pretty fun.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Me shouting into my pillow in regards to crappy IC chromatograms/results: IT'S ALWAYS THE SUPPRESSOR!!!!!

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone here deal with dotmatics in a analytical lab? Seems the entire company is supposed to switch over and so far I am not thrilled with what I am seeing.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Don't know about the company as a whole but I've been a big fan of Geneious Prime for 10+ years. I don't think it's an in-house development though, they purchased it some time along the way.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Anyone here deal with dotmatics in a analytical lab? Seems the entire company is supposed to switch over and so far I am not thrilled with what I am seeing.

We switched to dotmatics for 6 months before people rioted and we switched back to our other, crappy ELN. Overall it did not really make much of a difference, some people just did not want to learn a new thing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

We switched to dotmatics for 6 months before people rioted and we switched back to our other, crappy ELN. Overall it did not really make much of a difference, some people just did not want to learn a new thing.

Glad we dodged that bullet.
I avoided dotmatics when looking for a new eln since I didn’t get a good impression from their homepage. Although they have been busy buying up other software vendors such as Snapgene, so there might be some integrations (that will of course cost).

Probably not as bad as benchling though.
One of my favorite things on LinkedIn is to see who got kicked from Benchling. They seem to have a rather large turnover of people since I get contacted by a new person at every point.

We have just ditched our old ELN (good riddance) and went live with a new one. But we had the benefit that the old was basically held together by tape and no longer supported by the software provider.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
The market has really dried up it seems in SF outside of machine learning stuff. Everyone was saying it would open up in March, and if anything most people I know who were looking the end of last year found something relatively quickly while almost no one that I know has found anything the first quarter of this year. Applying to job descriptions that are essentially my resume and getting rejected without contact or the occasional recruiter interview with no follow up, and former colleagues who are very good at what they do with different roles have mentioned having a similar experience. It is even more annoying because the jobs are getting constantly reposted for months or whatever on linkedin, so I see a job that looks perfect and then realize it is one that I applied in January. I think it would be less frustrating to get rejected after interviewing or some level of contact with the hiring manager so at least you can assume they made some sort of informed decision. Basically job descriptions that would have lead to an interview 90% of the time 10 years ago are now at like 5%.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pain of Mind posted:

The market has really dried up it seems in SF outside of machine learning stuff. Everyone was saying it would open up in March, and if anything most people I know who were looking the end of last year found something relatively quickly while almost no one that I know has found anything the first quarter of this year. Applying to job descriptions that are essentially my resume and getting rejected without contact or the occasional recruiter interview with no follow up, and former colleagues who are very good at what they do with different roles have mentioned having a similar experience. It is even more annoying because the jobs are getting constantly reposted for months or whatever on linkedin, so I see a job that looks perfect and then realize it is one that I applied in January. I think it would be less frustrating to get rejected after interviewing or some level of contact with the hiring manager so at least you can assume they made some sort of informed decision. Basically job descriptions that would have lead to an interview 90% of the time 10 years ago are now at like 5%.

If it makes you feel better, I'd bet those jobs you're seeing won't be hiring anyone. They aren't meant to, instead they act as a prop for companies circling the drain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cardiac posted:

Probably not as bad as benchling though.
One of my favorite things on LinkedIn is to see who got kicked from Benchling. They seem to have a rather large turnover of people since I get contacted by a new person at every point.

I helped set up our Benchling PoC. The senior scientist I was working with got laid off last week. Funny.