Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, if you're on a single Verizon plan, at the least move to the 5GB single plan while you are debating if you want to switch.

2GB plan: $55 a month

5GB: $60 a month, or $55 with autopay. Only disclaimer is you can only have one smartphone.

Those sons a' bitches were letting me rot in a lesser (more expensive) tier!

Time to switch things up - thanks!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

I wish there were logic to automatically switch me to 5 bars of 3g vs 1 bar of LTE. If I go to the center of our building my phone will drag along on that 1 bar of LTE all day long. We have a 3g repeater there but unless I put my phone in a filing cabinet, I'll never switch over.

Not automatic, but there's a switch?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
So, what is the meaning of "HD video" under the new beyond unlimited? Does verizon just intelligently throttle data associated with apps like youtube, netflix, etc to limit to 1080p bandwidth? Is other more general "data" use not throttled (unless you go beyond the 22GB limit)? I don't really care if I can't get 4K youtube on my phone, but if I wanted to pull something off my home VPN, I would like to have full bore speed.

I'm actually perfectly happy on my ancient family plan, with my wife and I both having 6GB for $30 from our old unlimited plans - but if my parents get a second smart phone (currently still have one feature phone), we're going to basically be paying $240 for 4 phones, not unlimited messaging or talk, and only 15GB of data total across all the lines. Seems like moving to beyond unlimited would be more useful with 4 smartphones on the account, and having a hotspot again would be real useful when I'm stuck on crappy hotel internet (frequently).

ROJO fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 14, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The video is throttled to 720p and it still counts against the soft cap.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ROJO posted:

So, what is the meaning of "HD video" under the new beyond unlimited? Does verizon just intelligently throttle data associated with apps like youtube, netflix, etc to limit to 1080p bandwidth? Is other more general "data" use not throttled (unless you go beyond the 22GB limit)? I don't really care if I can't get 4K youtube on my phone, but if I wanted to pull something off my home VPN, I would like to have full bore speed.

I'm actually perfectly happy on my ancient family plan, with my wife and I both having 6GB for $30 from our old unlimited plans - but if my parents get a second smart phone (currently still have one feature phone), we're going to basically be paying $240 for 4 phones, not unlimited messaging or talk, and only 15GB of data total across all the lines. Seems like moving to beyond unlimited would be more useful with 4 smartphones on the account, and having a hotspot again would be real useful when I'm stuck on crappy hotel internet (frequently).

Keep in mind unlimited requires autopay for the discount, otherwise yeah, 4 lines for $200. You’re on old plans, so you should check and see if anyone is still under a two year contract.

Check that, and friendly reminder if you order online for a phone purchase, feel free to PM me and I can both answer questions, and give you a code that gives me sales credit.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Duckman2008 posted:

Keep in mind unlimited requires autopay for the discount, otherwise yeah, 4 lines for $200. You’re on old plans, so you should check and see if anyone is still under a two year contract.

Check that, and friendly reminder if you order online for a phone purchase, feel free to PM me and I can both answer questions, and give you a code that gives me sales credit.

Yeah my wife is definitely under a contract still, but only until November so I don't have to wait so long. I'll definitely hit you up if I go for a phone through VZW!

So under the 22GB soft cap, throttling is only on video services?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ROJO posted:

Yeah my wife is definitely under a contract still, but only until November so I don't have to wait so long. I'll definitely hit you up if I go for a phone through VZW!

So under the 22GB soft cap, throttling is only on video services?

Correct, only on the video quality, restricting it to 720p.

I watched a hockey game on Game Center the other day on my phone and didn’t notice a difference (iPhone 7). Not saying there isn’t one, just seems fine on the 4.7” screen size.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I am on an employee plan and was curious if I switched my sim to a different phone if that had any affect on A. the plan itself or B. my future upgrade date. Have an iPhone but wouldn't mind buying my own Android phone to use instead.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cage-free egghead posted:

I am on an employee plan and was curious if I switched my sim to a different phone if that had any affect on A. the plan itself or B. my future upgrade date. Have an iPhone but wouldn't mind buying my own Android phone to use instead.

Shouldn’t. Main thing is the iPhone SIMs aren’t provisioned for NFC for android, so you may want to stop by a store and swap SIMs just in case.

Corporate stores should verify with email from your telecom person, that’s what I do at least. Mileage will vary though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

Main thing is the iPhone SIMs aren’t provisioned for NFC for android
In practice, that only mattered for ISIS/SoftCard. Android Pay uses host card emulation, and doesn't lean on the secure element in the SIM.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How will this iPhone X work? Can I just buy it without attaching it to a number for full price?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

How will this iPhone X work? Can I just buy it without attaching it to a number for full price?

Not from any carrier. Carriers will always require it be to a customer (I know carriers do a lot of bad poo poo, but seriously, why would they sell a phone to a non customer?) Verizon will sell it full priced to a Verizon customer, and on a side note I am happy to say they pay their reps for it now so you won’t have any issues ordering that way.

If you want to buy it outright sans any service your best bet will be Apple. Traditionally Apple doesn’t get those phones in (billed as unlocked) until later. Inventory for the X will be not great from the Internet rumors, so I donno what to tell you there.

We also have to see if there are two iPhone X models, just like the 7 and 8. If there are, not all iPhone Xs will Work on Verizon.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Duckman2008 posted:

We also have to see if there are two iPhone X models, just like the 7 and 8. If there are, not all iPhone Xs will Work on Verizon.

There are 2 iPhone X models (A1865 & A1901), vs 4 for the iPhone 7 & 8. I think this means we should have a unified model for the US market, since only A1865 supports CDMA. Then again, I've never fully understood Apple's multiple SKU strategy.

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/specs/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Not from any carrier. Carriers will always require it be to a customer (I know carriers do a lot of bad poo poo, but seriously, why would they sell a phone to a non customer?)

I wasn’t assuming this or asking it, but thanks.

I thought iPhones were unified to all US carriers now.

With how much these will flip for I think it’ll be worth the hassle of buying it attached to my line at full price and then detaching it and selling it that way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sellouts posted:

I wasn’t assuming this or asking it, but thanks.

I thought iPhones were unified to all US carriers now.
They were from either the 5S or 6 to the 6S, but they split them again with the 7 so they could use Intel modems on GSM providers so not to have to sole-source from Qualcomm. The end result is that Verizon and Sprint models work on GSM providers, but not the other way around.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Gotcha, thanks.

I’m on Verizon anyways so all good.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

They were from either the 5S or 6 to the 6S, but they split them again with the 7 so they could use Intel modems on GSM providers so not to have to sole-source from Qualcomm. The end result is that Verizon and Sprint models work on GSM providers, but not the other way around.

I never knew this, not sure how I missed it but good to know. Thanks!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I think I'll be making a new OP between now and Wednesday. If anyone has ideas for a new thread title, post away

Edit so far my best one is: Verizon Wireless Megathread: Shutp and Take the Oath

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 23, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

"your question was asked 5 times already. Please read at least the past 2 pages"?

Or

"Get off your mommy's family plan and get your own plan"?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Verizon: existing customers only
Verizon: unlimited plan caps at 22GB
Verizon: $10IAP to continue loading ads
Verizon: customer experience mitigation station

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Verizon: Why? Because we care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Appreciate the input. End of the day, I liked the Oath one, so i went with that for now.

New thread here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838364

• Locked thread