Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Hillridge posted:

We're also in the "holy poo poo this move is taking forever" boat. At least we're still on budget. It will have been close to a year from "this may be a possibility" to "there and done" by the time we finish. New place is looking awesome though as we have applied lots of lessons learned from 4 years at the old space.

What does it cost/where do you buy new charcoal for an inline filter? We have 3 lasers, two of which will have permanent ventilation out the back (no need for filter), but we'd like to have one that can be moved about the space and run without a vent.

For lasers, I recommend getting a larger bed rabbit if you can afford it. We have one of those and 2 20x12 FS lasers, and the rabbit gets most of the use. I'm not super impressed with the Full Spectrum ones, but one was $1000 used and the other was a donation, so we use them.

We buy ours from here: http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/granular_activated_charcoal/coconut/4x8_mesh

Rabbit recently raised their prices pretty significantly, so it's not as great a deal. There are other Chinese laser importers with similarly competitive prices, and are probably nicer to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
In other laser related news, we got our Silvertail from https://www.justaddsharks.co.uk which I helped muscle into the building on Saturday, a feat which involved it fitting with negative millimetric tolerances into the goods lift (we had to saw the bottom off the pallet and the handle still stuck through the lift cage which had to be gently eased round it!) and got running (and cut the traditional test piece which is a height adjustment tool apparently) thanks to the vendor's expert assistance. If you're UK based buy your lasers from JustAddSharks, they rule.

I'm hugely looking forward to finding some time to build some stuff with it.

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig

Hillridge posted:

What does it cost/where do you buy new charcoal for an inline filter? We have 3 lasers, two of which will have permanent ventilation out the back (no need for filter), but we'd like to have one that can be moved about the space and run without a vent.

For lasers, I recommend getting a larger bed rabbit if you can afford it. We have one of those and 2 20x12 FS lasers, and the rabbit gets most of the use. I'm not super impressed with the Full Spectrum ones, but one was $1000 used and the other was a donation, so we use them.

We purchased a jug of charcoal at an aquarium supply place, they use the stuff all the time for their filters.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Well, whaddayaknow, there's a hacklab in my city, that I didn't know about! It seems they've just started and share an office/room with three other clubs, so they don't have much in the way of hardware, and only meet every other week. But whatever, I'm just happy that I don't have to start up one now :v:

[edit] They had an "open house" day, which I got invited to thru facebook by my friend, so that's I how found out about it. And now I'm pissed, because one of the members had just bought CEL Robox 3D-printer, and now I REALLY want to start my Mendel90 project..

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 10, 2015

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Wow, there are some very nice hacker spaces near you guys.

The one near me looks absolutely terrible, it seems more like a hoarder purchased a large shed and retrofitted a a stage/DJ area in there with a bunch of random tools after living there for a decade.

When I showed up to check the place out somebody asked me what my pronouns were. They also made sure to mention that they'd had problems with the computer security crowd before and were unsure I'd fit in with their resident "artists".

After the initial shock I went looking for other hacker spaces in the area and found a place which is run the the local government. It brands itself a "Men's Shed" (all welcome, unfortunate branding) but is essentially the same setup. It is however neat, organised and seems to be fairly safe.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 30, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Did you tell the first place that you need to do a check on their privilege before you decide?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

yoloer420 posted:

Wow, there are some very nice hacker spaces near you guys.

The one near me looks absolutely terrible, it seems more like a hoarder purchased a large shed and retrofitted a a stage/DJ area in there with a bunch of random tools after living there for a decade.

When I showed up to check the place out somebody asked me what my pronouns were. They also made sure to mention that they'd had problems with the computer security crowd before and were unsure I'd fit in with their resident "artists".

After the initial shock I went looking for other hacker spaces in the area and found a place which is run the the local government. It brands itself a "Men's Shed" (all welcome, unfortunate branding) but is essentially the same setup. It is however neat, organised and seems to be fairly safe.

So I guess you've already toured Noisebridge, then. :v:

Every time I've been to MakeIt Labs in Nashua and PSOne in Chicago, I've been impressed. Went to MakeIt on Monday night to work on ~~~MY GIRLFRIEND~~~'s car for a bit and help Hillridge prep the newly donated plow truck, everything went according to plan. Their new facility that they're moving into looks even better, too.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We just got our laser cutter in and I am getting use to it. We have some flexible magnetic sheeting as well as non-magnetic flexible sheeting that the magnets will stick to. I can't find a good answer to if this stuff (mainly the backing) is safe to cut in the laser cutter. Any ideas here? Example: http://www.hurlbat.co.uk/product-p/mat_mag_sa8.htm

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008
So our space has a bit of a governance issue but a thorny one given people's different tolerance levels with regards to smell and mess.

We have a bunch of bins in our main workspace that get infrequently emptied by members. So infrequently that I've had to de-maggot them several times.

Bin bags are provided and it's made clear to members that we expect them to be emptied but it seems that more often than not the bin bags don't get used and the bins don't get emptied for days. That being said, the bin bags are in a drawer in the kitchen and the bin is pretty obvious out the front so I think it's a laziness/time issue.

Add to that the fact that we're open 24hrs for members, and it becomes a bit of a shitfight as to whose responsibility it was to take the bin out when we have members staying overnight/days.

How does your local or favourite space handle this issue? I'm looking for options that are less authoritarian than disabling internet access until the bins are emptied daily ALA LVL1 (http://www.lvl1.org/2012/02/15/mother/)

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Okay what the gently caress software do hackerspaces use for tracking memberships, payments, and access?

The closest we've come to a solution is forking DoubleUnion's Arooo and working off of that, but that's going to be a ton of work, plus I can count the number of rubyists and rails experts in our org on no hands.

Our current solution is manual periodic reviews into a spreadsheet from which I manually deactivate LDAP accounts and mailing list membership.

We've already tried both Zoho and Silkstart with the final conclusion of "well that sucks"

nogthree
Jun 28, 2008

minivanmegafun posted:

Okay what the gently caress software do hackerspaces use for tracking memberships, payments, and access?

The closest we've come to a solution is forking DoubleUnion's Arooo and working off of that, but that's going to be a ton of work, plus I can count the number of rubyists and rails experts in our org on no hands.

Our current solution is manual periodic reviews into a spreadsheet from which I manually deactivate LDAP accounts and mailing list membership.

We've already tried both Zoho and Silkstart with the final conclusion of "well that sucks"

Some of the Australian hackerspaces use TidyClub, but we (HSBNE) are still using a combination of hacked together black box magic poo poo. Some of which doesn't talk to eachother yet.

Xero for payments with stripe integration (or paypal if you're feeling lucky), we have a custom access system written in PHP backed by mysql with each access node being an arduino compatible networked board that uses PoE for power.

I've written a bit more on our particular setup at http://wiki.hsbne.org/infrastructure/accesscontrolsystem but it's really basic and the code isn't open sourced yet.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

nogthree posted:

How does your local or favourite space handle this issue? I'm looking for options that are less authoritarian than disabling internet access until the bins are emptied daily ALA LVL1 (http://www.lvl1.org/2012/02/15/mother/)

Don't have this issue, but I do work with companies on this kind of stuff in the security and process control field. In my opinion, the carrot is always more desirable than the stick. Instead of punishing everyone for something not being done, try and find a way to provide an incentive to get it done. Credit for a free soda, extra privilege, a leaderboard with a monthly prize or something to whoever does it most? Your accountant may balk at paying even more for something that should Just Get Done, but when considering the cost of the incentive, consider how much time it takes out of your admin how much that time is worth, how much it costs you in terms of potential lost memberships. Reliably confirming who took out the bins is a challenge maybe but it's a hackerspace, right?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It also helps to have separate containers for organic and nonorganic trash.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

nogthree posted:

For what it's worth, Mother's disabling of our internet access didn't last very long at all. Instead, it turned into a repeating-every-10-minutes nag alarm, which was pretty effective.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

nogthree posted:

So our space has a bit of a governance issue but a thorny one given people's different tolerance levels with regards to smell and mess.

We have a bunch of bins in our main workspace that get infrequently emptied by members. So infrequently that I've had to de-maggot them several times.

Bin bags are provided and it's made clear to members that we expect them to be emptied but it seems that more often than not the bin bags don't get used and the bins don't get emptied for days. That being said, the bin bags are in a drawer in the kitchen and the bin is pretty obvious out the front so I think it's a laziness/time issue.

Add to that the fact that we're open 24hrs for members, and it becomes a bit of a shitfight as to whose responsibility it was to take the bin out when we have members staying overnight/days.

Worst comes to the worst? Hire a cleaner for an hour a week if no-one wants to do it.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

minivanmegafun posted:

It's almost a requirement of opening a hackerspace to eschew any off the shelf solution for a homebrew system of dubious usability.

We're on like rev 3 or 4 of our access system now and it's finally reliable and actually not that bad. I am, thankfully, not super involved in it, so I don't know all the details. The hardware is pi based and designed to be easily duplicated with off the shelf parts. I'll see if I can find a presentation the team did on it and post that here.

I've been super busy since our move, but am happy to report that the previously very vocal "Wah Moving Bad!" minority has been pleasantly silent, and we have experienced roughly 40% growth since opening there in February. We are also accumulating cool new poo poo at an alarming rate. We bought a Tormach CNC a couple months ago, and just got a donation of two Zcorp 450 full color 3D printers last week (complete with around $5k in supplies). I'm most excited by the fact that we may have (unpaid) college interns this summer to help out!

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Multi-month bump!

Did anyone else just get invited to an event on August 24th? If so, shoot me a PM. Sorry for the vagueness, I just don't know how public it is.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We're doing flugtag on the 27th, is that what you're talking about.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Nope, but that is awesome. Which city?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hillridge posted:

Nope, but that is awesome. Which city?

Louisville. We did red bull soap box derby in Cincinnati last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Hillridge posted:

Multi-month bump!

Did anyone else just get invited to an event on August 24th? If so, shoot me a PM. Sorry for the vagueness, I just don't know how public it is.

Yes, and pm sent.

• Locked thread