Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

Or don't, because that was actually pretty funny.

Still going. :hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koollook124
Jan 15, 2008
http://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/4929592515.html

I swear I know how to do everything else but shift. It's so confusing!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

koollook124 posted:

Rehosted on imgur before it gets taken off of CL.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

koollook124 posted:

I also got my motorcycle license without knowing how to shift. That seems legit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And thus further cementing the european view that everyone in the US gets their drivers license as a cereal box prize. :v:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

bigbillystyle posted:

I also got my motorcycle license without knowing how to shift. That seems legit.

He's in NY. He probably means his learner's permit

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
At my local dmv, there is always some "driving school", advertising an easy car/bike license with minimum effort. They have Scion IQs and automatic 50cc scooters. It's impossible not to pass after 2 hour training. The motorcycle test never leaves the parking lot and takes about 8 minutes. It's a terrible, terrible system.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
You can get your motorcycle endorsement in AZ on a scooter. And yet people still fail it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Armacham posted:

You can get your motorcycle endorsement in AZ on a scooter. And yet people still fail it.

I'm actually more nervous riding my friends scooters than I am my bikes. I can't see the wheels! When I'm turning I can't see how far from the ground the big platform I'm sitting on is and I keep thinking I'm going to scrape the sides.

Also it doesn't shift. How the gently caress can I make it do what I want if I can't shift the gears?!?!?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I'm actually more nervous riding my friends scooters than I am my bikes. I can't see the wheels! When I'm turning I can't see how far from the ground the big platform I'm sitting on is and I keep thinking I'm going to scrape the sides.

Also it doesn't shift. How the gently caress can I make it do what I want if I can't shift the gears?!?!?!

Riding a scooter is to bikes as driving a golf cart is to cars.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Fun as poo poo and filled with low speed races?

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Slavvy posted:

Better done drunk with someone else as a passenger?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Gay?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pope Mobile posted:

Fun as poo poo and filled with low speed races?

Yes.

Minkee posted:

Better done drunk with someone else as a passenger?

Yes.

Never had a scooter bukkake me, take the plug out of one and let me know.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Yes.

Yes.

Never had a scooter bukkake me, take the plug out of one and let me know.

I know a trucker named Scooter if you feel like heading to Texas.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This is where the cars live! Get you one!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

I know a trucker named Scooter if you feel like heading to Texas.

I ain't no lot lizard.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Stupid thing overheard today:

LED turn signals and stop lamps are illegal on motorcycles.

In some cases, a clear lens with a red bulb might be sketchy, but LED lit stoplamps or turn signals are NOT illegal.

I just heard that from a moron over in the support department today.

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 16, 2015

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
This state takes a dim view of solid state lighting, boy. :clint:

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

ReelBigLizard posted:

This state takes a dim view of solid state lighting, boy. :clint:

Your future is bright son.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The possibility of lane splitting becoming a reality in Washington has some pretty stupid people talking.
As far as I can tell, it's still just a bill and hasn't passed. I've met a number of people that are 100% sure it passed the house and is immediately in effect.
It's a standard "don't go faster than 10mph than the surrounding traffic and no faster than 35." This clearly means "Bro, you can totally pass those people doing 60 in the HOV. Use the shoulder while you're at it!"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pope Mobile posted:

The possibility of lane splitting becoming a reality in Washington has some pretty stupid people talking.
As far as I can tell, it's still just a bill and hasn't passed. I've met a number of people that are 100% sure it passed the house and is immediately in effect.
It's a standard "don't go faster than 10mph than the surrounding traffic and no faster than 35." This clearly means "Bro, you can totally pass those people doing 60 in the HOV. Use the shoulder while you're at it!"

Actually, unless something changed some senator added wording to where you could only lanesplit on the left side of the left lane. Which is stupid poo poo.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Luckily It's a very short bill. Here's the digest:

HB 1515 - DIGEST posted:

Allows an operator of a motorcycle to: (1) Overtake and
pass in the same lane occupied by the vehicle being overtaken;
and
(2) Operate the motorcycle between lanes of traffic or
between adjacent lines or rows of vehicles if the motorcycle
is traveling at a rate of speed no more than ten miles per hour
over the speed of traffic flow and not more than thirty-five
miles per hour.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Digests/House/1515.DIG.pdf

Here's the full bill.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1515.pdf

Unless I missed it, I don't see anything in there about left only.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Pope Mobile posted:

Luckily It's a very short bill. Here's the digest:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Digests/House/1515.DIG.pdf

Here's the full bill.
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1515.pdf

Unless I missed it, I don't see anything in there about left only.

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Amendments/Senate/5623-S%20AMS%20SHEL%20S2354.1.pdf

This is the amendment that says only on the left.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I can see why left side only makes sense, it's the maximum exposure to the driver that you're passing. And possibly stops people from weaving around the row of cars on both sides.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Ah, it's part of the companion bill. I see.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A CHP dude actually told me he's rather see riders splitting on the left in the car pool lanes. Then again he's not on a bike so I have no idea.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being from a civilised country, my experience is that splitting in the middle is by far the safest place to do so. Splitting on the median side exposes you to gravel, barrier gaps that suddenly go from 3m to half a foot and, if it's a painted median, people pulling in/out. Schumaher swervess between lanes are comparatively rare while rapid pulling over/out happens all the time and people never look.

I'm assuming nobody involved in putting this legislation together thought to consult someone from a place that allows splitting, because state rights or something?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Nitrox posted:

I can see why left side only makes sense, it's the maximum exposure to the driver that you're passing. And possibly stops people from weaving around the row of cars on both sides.

It's also where all the poo poo ends up, and in a lot of places either gives you no route of escape, a route with a lot of debris, or just no room to do it period.

Between the 1 and 2 lanes is by far the best.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

I'm assuming nobody involved in putting this legislation together thought to consult someone from a place that allows splitting, because state rights or something?

Probably closer to :effort: than anything.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

Probably more that they're dumb as hell. The state legislature is in contempt of court for not following a judicial order to fully fund the state's education system.

Pretty sure the short bus picks up our lawmakers and there's no helping any of us.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

clutchpuck posted:

Probably more that they're dumb as hell. The state legislature is in contempt of court for not following a judicial order to fully fund the state's education system.

Pretty sure the short bus picks up our lawmakers and there's no helping any of us.
This is from the US, but I imagine a good bit of it applies most places:

http://www.vox.com/2015/2/5/7978823/congress-secrets

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
"Yeah, I used to ride too, man. Some lady pulled out in front of me. I didn't want to go over the top, so I had to layer dan. Went right into the door; took the paramedics half an hour to pull me out. Might get one like yours though, that's a nice bike."
*limps off into sunset*

Sorry about your crash, dude. Please learn to ride before you buy again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

It's also where all the poo poo ends up, and in a lot of places either gives you no route of escape, a route with a lot of debris, or just no room to do it period.

Between the 1 and 2 lanes is by far the best.
I think you misunderstood. I didn't mean that the riders should be riding in the pullover lane or outside of travel lanes at all. Splitting implies that there are at least 2 rows of cars, and the bikes should go between them. Either way, bikes should only pass if there is enough room for them within travel lanes, not using sidewalks, bicycle lanes and median buffer space to get ahead by whatever means necessary. And passing a car near driver side seems safer, because that's the mirror the drivers pay attention to the most.

• Locked thread