Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

When you make a lot of tracks via a PS2 music maker program a lot of it is going to sound like classic MIDI. Plus, they grew up on those soundtracks. Joker plays Streets of Rage songs in his sets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Yeah if anyone remembers those dodgy old music sequencers for the Playstation and all that, man you couldn't do much else with them really. I remember trying one or two of them way back in the day. Daft wee loop creator things that would at best spit out some crap Trancey number. How any of the guys could make such good tunes with that stuff still blows my mind.

Blame it on the shite weather or whatever, but I think any young boy growing up in the early 90s in this country was pretty much hooked up 24/7 in front of a Mega Drive or SNES, so it becomes just another part of your musical DNA if you like, whether you're aware of it or not. Like a silicon version of when you listen to interviews by all those old original Industrial bands like the Cabs or Human League or whoever talk about the pounding of steel mills just over the horizon and how it just becomes a natural, everyday thing to them. It all just permeates into that creative part of the brain and sticks around.

Also you listen back to a lot of those old video games soundtracks and you'll find a lot of them have got that punch and abrutness that became an integral part of Grime riddims. Though I'd imagine most of that was indirectly due to the primitive sound chips in those old 16-bit machines. Remember there was that daft article on Fact mag or somewhere proclaiming some old Mega Drive tune was like the forefather of Grime. I think they interviewed the original composer and he was like nah, I had 4 channels to use and that was it! Or words to that effect anyway I think.

Plus the best of those old game soundtracks were inspired by the club scene here, so it all ends up feeding back in with some kind of feedback loop. Streets of Rage soundtracks especially, where the first one rips off Soul II Soul and the second one leans on The Shamen, among others. Plus earlier things like Bomb the Bass doing the soundtrack for Amiga games.

28 Gun Bad Boy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 18, 2017

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

relevant

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Remember there was that daft article on Fact mag or somewhere proclaiming some old Mega Drive tune was like the forefather of Grime. I think they interviewed the original composer and he was like nah, I had 4 channels to use and that was it! Or words to that effect anyway I think.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

more importantly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0HoiN7iwpE&list=PLUoW2Zq2PQeq_9sIIr1q88Vk0OJF3ayhX

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Yeah that's the one. I was just way too lazy to dig it up.

Probably the only video game soundtrack made up of Speed Garage. Funnily enough I never actually played that, only one of our friends had an N64 when we were teenagers.

In others news those of you who don't have a copy of the classic tune Pressure by Ability II and don't want to pay £30+ for a copy, well nows you're chance as Major Problems are reissuing it, packaging the original two versions in with a modern remix by Luca Lozano.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Wiley's new album.

Heavy loving duty.

Best Grime album I think I've heard in years. The beats are just perfect. Actual hard hitting Grime, not some warmed up half arsed Trap things, and there's plenty of old heads spitting on the album showing they've not lost anything. It's been out a few weeks now, if you've not got it yet pick it up now.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Wiley's new album.

Heavy loving duty.

Best Grime album I think I've heard in years. The beats are just perfect. Actual hard hitting Grime, not some warmed up half arsed Trap things, and there's plenty of old heads spitting on the album showing they've not lost anything. It's been out a few weeks now, if you've not got it yet pick it up now.

Is it better than his last, mostly bad album?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Is it better than his last, mostly bad album?

Dare I say best since Playtime Is Over? As consistantly inconsistant Wiley can be, stars aligned on this one. At least I think so!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

whats up guys. want some crack

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

This remains my favorite 2000F release https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr7Whkqvow8

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
I think the only Kraken/2000F/Obeah I ever picked up was that first release on the label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8JQnS_c7tY

I remember when it came out I was pretty amazed at this Danish guy/label putting out Dubstep, whereas up to then it was really just UK and some US artists by and large. I gotta admit though it was the flip that I really liked at the time, I think mostly just for the Predator sample now I look back at it.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

I think the only Kraken/2000F/Obeah I ever picked up was that first release on the label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8JQnS_c7tY

I remember when it came out I was pretty amazed at this Danish guy/label putting out Dubstep, whereas up to then it was really just UK and some US artists by and large. I gotta admit though it was the flip that I really liked at the time, I think mostly just for the Predator sample now I look back at it.

now that is a weighty plate!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Time for another record purchase effortpost

in this haul, from left to right ive got:
Caski - Traitor EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEgQjHT-el0
big fan of caski & its nice to finally own something physical. dark garagey stuff

Beneath - Seeus/Ovaride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRbT5Bm_vg
real trippy stuff from hotline records. seeus is gonna be a bitch to mix but whatever

Syer B - Mushrooms EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYmaySNsIBE
kind of a guilty pleasure really. some of these tracks remind me of video game dungeon music

Clearlight - Magic Service EP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paY0SZSCl5M
minimal & eerie dubstep.

Aketi Ray / Alpha & Omega
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNaUqGmbXLQ
loving the drums & horns on this. an easy listening steppa

Hear Other Sounds - Various
https://www.redeyerecords.co.uk/vinyl/82428-hos015-hos015-va
some nice variety on this little compilation. I like j-one & charlux's tracks the most

Von D, Mr Lager, & Mizz Beats - Reflektion Tapes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib6PqF9xhrk
the track with mr lager is aight but I really bought this for the mizz beats collab. a nice smooth track

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 22, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

JSL / Kraken released one of my more fondly remembered jump-up from years ago, #11 in their catalogue I think? B-side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLSCHcNRAOs

Reminds me vaguely of old Benga.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I saw Aphrodite last weekend, and he played a complete banger of a set full of old school Jungle.

Also saw Shobaleader One, and Squarepusher gets more wanky and less good with age :/

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

sounds like a blast. its been too long since ive been to a jungle/dnb show. shame about squarepusher though, what didnt you like about him?

& yeah that is a benga throwback track

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Read the UK Hardcore Continuum series today, really fascinating stuff, especially the little bit about "body flashbacks"; The majority of the schizophrenics I work with are drug-induced and mainly listen to old raver/hardcore stuff still. Must have been some really dodgy speed/E going around here back in the day, despite about a decade's age gap between them all they all went the same places, did the same sorts of drugs and all ended up permanently hosed.

On the PlayStation Music tip, I remember having Music 2000 and trying to make music on my tv- thought the sub bass patches were totally pointless until the day I hooked it up to a stereo and holy poo poo that was a revelation for 13 year old me.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 31, 2017

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

NonzeroCircle posted:

On the PlayStation Music tip, I remember having Music 2000 and trying to make music on my tv- thought the sub bass patches were totally pointless until the day I hooked it up to a stereo and holy poo poo that was a revelation for 13 year old me.

wonder if this is how benga felt

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

NonzeroCircle posted:

Read the UK Hardcore Continuum series today, really fascinating stuff, especially the little bit about "body flashbacks"; The majority of the schizophrenics I work with are drug-induced and mainly listen to old raver/hardcore stuff still. Must have been some really dodgy speed/E going around here back in the day, despite about a decade's age gap between them all they all went the same places, did the same sorts of drugs and all ended up permanently hosed.

You say dodgy I say probably the exact opposite! Back in the day some proper pure stuff unlike nowadays where you can pick up pills for less than the price of a pint. I mean if you don't mind scarfing down what's probably just compressed talc or maybe some aspirin if you're lucky!

Funnily enough though when you think of schizophrenic in terms of music the old hardcore stuff is definitely what I think of. You look at some of the tunes from back then and the tracks themselves have like multiple personality disorder, swinging from one style or vibe to the other. Sometimes within the space of 8 bars, 16 bars or whatever. Monarch of the Glen is a favourite of mine for that, skipping from happy euphoric piano intro to super dark roller and back again to euphoria.

Anyway, Livity Sound continue to be on point, picked up the new Forest Drive West plate a few weeks ago. Techno which remembers to actually flex.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwfVALrhkwQ

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

titty_baby_ posted:

sounds like a blast. its been too long since ive been to a jungle/dnb show. shame about squarepusher though, what didnt you like about him?

& yeah that is a benga throwback track

If you're anywhere near London the Bangface events at electroworks are great.

Squarepusher isn't quite as bad as venetian snares for playing avant garde stuff at a rave, but he's pretty much just doing jazz now.

Apex Twin a fee years ago, for comparison, played a ridiculously banging set of stuff I'd never heard before.

Chris Clark was incredible as well, had some crazy spooky dancers on stage and killed it. Luke Vibert amazing as always, and even though baseline isn't really my thing, TQD are really fun.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

so uhh any opinions about gqom?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

so uhh any opinions about gqom?

i met the rudeboys (south africa), they're nice guys

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

i want them to come to america. come to SF or something

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

titty_baby_ posted:

i want them to come to america. come to SF or something

iirc the only stop they made was DC

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Resident Advisor with a new video documentary piece thing on the ten year of Untrue. To be honest pretty disappointing and you're much better off exercising yer brain and reading Simon Reynolds' piece on Pitchfork that came out a few weeks ago.

It's definitely a strange one for me looking back at it. Not only because you realise it's a decade old (seemed like only yesterday I remember picking up Burial's first EP on Hyperdub) but also it's strange to think of how little impact the spirit of Untrue/Burial has had. At least in the long term. Sure immedietely after Untrue you had all the Burial clones popping up and folk going on about how much they liked UKG despite not actually listening to it while it was a real live entity, failing to understand it with their only connection being through the vaguely cargo cult-esque artifact in the shape of this second album.

But to me the real spark that was in Burial was that idea of grasping the wheel and wrenching it in the opposite direction. In a 2007 Dubstep landscape of ever increasing, boring, cookie cutter Halfstep clones Burial (and Untrue in particular) stuck up like a sore thumb. It's rhythm, density and atmosphere completely different to what the majority were doing.

That solo attitude seems lost in dance music nowadays, that willingness to switch the script. Maybe the rebels are dead in todays digital age. Or maybe that's just an olds moaning, nagging, short sighted viewpoint? Maybe Untrue in fact played a large part in the mutation/development of the current dance music scene. Much more flexible. Much more open-minded. At least style-wise. Maybe because of the likes of Untrue there's no parapet for someone to raise their head above nowadays. There's no need for the rebels when the walls are long since pulled down and everyone is playing along happily. More or less.

Anyway musically-wise, looking back to me Burial has never topped Untrue and to be honest his recent annual dripfeeds of 12-inches have been pretty lackluster in my opinion, though everyone else still raves about them so it shows what I know. Though listening to his recent tunesmaybe he's finally back on track. Things like his Inner City Life remix I loved (though a lot seemed to hate, which only validated it to me more) and now I hear the snippets from his latest release on Non-Plus. X-ploring h-core. Reaching back further. Digging deep for the source of energy. Burial seems to have hit something that's given his music an edge that seemed to have been lost.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's funny, living in the middle of nowhere out USA way caused me to instinctively mistrust Untrue and how it, like that one Four Tet album before it and Jamie XX / Nicolas Jaar albums after it, was picked out as the tasteful(ly alienated) paragon of a deep and neglected scene by the music press. It caused me to dig deeper and find all the stuff that was apparently pedestrian at that time. Personally I found the album itself pretty listless and enjoyed more the smuggling of his style into more dance-forward music later on, especially by D&B refugees (dBridge, Synkro, etc)

Funnily enough I felt like that one Four Tet / Burial collab 12" was the best thing either one has made. Really brought out the best in one another.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Resident Advisor with a new video documentary piece thing on the ten year of Untrue. To be honest pretty disappointing and you're much better off exercising yer brain and reading Simon Reynolds' piece on Pitchfork that came out a few weeks ago.

It's definitely a strange one for me looking back at it. Not only because you realise it's a decade old (seemed like only yesterday I remember picking up Burial's first EP on Hyperdub) but also it's strange to think of how little impact the spirit of Untrue/Burial has had.

I remember there was a bit of collective staring down on people who tried to do similar stuff at the time.
His style was so unique, that anybody making music in the same vein was, not always justly, seen as almost plagiarizing.

Or at least that's the feeling I got 10 years ago here in Belgium, when I came at an end of what was never a dj career.

In a way that reminded me of the time when I started dj-ing (yes I'm old), and DJ Shadow's Endtroducing came out.
It was rightfully seen as a masterpiece, but it also had such a unique thing going, that others almost made an effort steering clear of doing something like it and might get them branded as fanboys.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

mrfart posted:

I remember there was a bit of collective staring down on people who tried to do similar stuff at the time.
His style was so unique, that anybody making music in the same vein was, not always justly, seen as almost plagiarizing.

Or at least that's the feeling I got 10 years ago here in Belgium, when I came at an end of what was never a dj career.

In a way that reminded me of the time when I started dj-ing (yes I'm old), and DJ Shadow's Endtroducing came out.
It was rightfully seen as a masterpiece, but it also had such a unique thing going, that others almost made an effort steering clear of doing something like it and might get them branded as fanboys.

100% with you on this, Entroducing was out there even in that era of trip-hop etc.. and an absolute masterwork, took Shadow forever to start living up to the promise of the first album.

Untrue came out at a weird time when I'd started clubbing again, so it was always on at like 4am on the way home. Is there a name for that genre of music you always listen to after a night out, waiting on the first bus?

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

cfcf and james brooks (elite gymnastics) and a bunch of other people on hipinion boards started doing mixes in that style called night bus

http://www.thefader.com/2010/09/16/premiere-cfcf-do-u-like-night-bus-mix

Django
Dec 22, 2004

Django Grimehart

Radio Spiricom posted:

cfcf and james brooks (elite gymnastics) and a bunch of other people on hipinion boards started doing mixes in that style called night bus

http://www.thefader.com/2010/09/16/premiere-cfcf-do-u-like-night-bus-mix

Cheers for the link; haven’t heard much from Elite Gynnastics in a while (I see this is a pretty old link). I wonder what they’re up to these days.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
I thank you for this thread. I often find myself unable to penetrate the surface of the introduction to these groups of music that I've had. I will be digging and reporting back...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
I can't for the life of me remember this dubstep song I used to love, all I can remember is the bassline. Here it is in terrible midi piano:
https://onlinesequencer.net/786171

Please help

nevermind, found it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekf9J7uMBA8&t=55s

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 11, 2018

• Locked thread