Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Absolutely not. It's one of those Dwarf Fortressy experiences, where you figure poo poo out through weeks of experimentation. There's the obligatory official wiki and forums, but I've never made much progress with them. You can start with the Pak64 version, which, although lower res, has a much more forgiving economic model.

Basic things I've learned (based on Pak128 Experimental, but still applies to other Paks)
- Vehicle choice is important. You always operate on the break-even line, so too many wagons might result in a high running cost, putting you in the red.
- Maintenance costs are what this game is all about - every piece you put down has a monthly cost. You need to have the budget window open and calculate profitability all the time.
- Supply and demand matter, and if you over supply for this month, the whole chain will stop, though maintenance cost won't. Use the charts to monitor saturation.
- It's best to keep routes that run under a month, so that it's easier to monitor costs.
- save, save, save, save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Doesn't sound very "Open".

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

SImutrans put me off from the outset - there's no visible way to change the font (as with OpenTTD the default is too small for me), toggle between windowed and fullscreen mode or set the resolution (instead choosing to respond to resize events, which my window manager doesn't send when setting the initial size of the window) but it frontloads all the simulator variables for everything. OpenTTD has it the right way around - as soon as I started it there was an easy-to-find options page with resolution settings and fullscreen toggle, while simulator details are left to the modders who (hopefully) know what they're doing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I could not get into Simutrans because it required more steps to get trains to actually load cargo and I wasn't seeing them do it when I actually did everything required.

Also echoing that the documentation is pretty bad and doesn't help at all.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Does anyone know how "current" the OpenTTD team keeps the version up on the Google Play store for Android? I've been wanting to play trains on my Nexus 7 while riding the train.

There's also the paid Transport Tycoon app, but it doesn't really look like it's going to be great after I've played OpenTTD for years.

Edit: drat, it looks like I can even install the original asset packs on the Android version instead of using the Open ones. Now to just figure out how. :stare:

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 11, 2015

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It's an unofficial port, though it seems to be up to date with the latest stable: 1.4.4.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Drone posted:

Edit: drat, it looks like I can even install the original asset packs on the Android version instead of using the Open ones. Now to just figure out how. :stare:

\Android\data\org.openttd.sdl\files\
Here you can see the same folder structure as PC version.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man I want to believe that trams are worth it in OpenTTD. I love playing with them, but the massive downside of only having on-road stations clogging traffic means I can never make them viable for anything other than small towns.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Drone posted:

Man I want to believe that trams are worth it in OpenTTD. I love playing with them, but the massive downside of only having on-road stations clogging traffic means I can never make them viable for anything other than small towns.

Use on-road bus/truck stations as waypoints to route your road traffic so it doesn't share the road with trams. Or use one-way/no-passing roads to restrict their movement.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If you really like the idea of playing with trams in an urban environment, I think Cities in Motion 1 or 2 are going to do a better job scratching that itch.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Anyone in this thread have any experience with getting NewGRF's to load on a dedicated server under Ubuntu? I'm modifying the openttd.cfg file to add lines under the [newgrf] section.

However when I start the server there's no newgrf's listed as running, and when I stop the server the lines added under [newgrf] are gone.
I'm assuming there's something overwritting the openttd.cfg file, but it's not replacing any changes I'm making to the rest of the config file.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a way to play this game like it's a modern american metropolis with nearly 0 public transport and now it's time to bolt on all those bus lines, light rail, and subways after the fact?

I wanna have to fight with the local authority for every scrap of land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I hate to be the one to raise the dead here, but I've been playing around with ECS Vectors but it won't generate water sources on the temperate map. Am I supposed to play this on tropical or did I mess something up? NewGRFs are confirmed to be in the correct order. I currently only have the town and basic 2 installed.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 28, 2015

• Locked thread