Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
On my way to Old Appalachia (well, technically west of the mountains, but just as rural) for the yearly apple butter event.

Looking at about 7 bushels of apples, aiming for 1.5 gallons per bushel.

Maybe this year we can convince my great uncle not to ruin it with his absurd policy on cinnamon. He takes whole cinnamon sticks, smashes them with a hammer into chunks, and tosses them into the vat.

He also refuses to put enough sugar in, insisting that "the apples' natural sugar is plenty", which results in way less caramelization, so the apple butter is basically somewhat darker applesauce lmao.

But it's more about visiting the last bit of family I have left out there anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Jammin' - My great uncle's absurd cinnamon policy

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Speaking of apples and spices, I used black pepper in my spice mix for my applesauce this year and just that little bit of spicy heat is loving insanely good. Do recommend.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Jammin' - My great uncle's absurd cinnamon policy

:perfect:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just a copy past since someone recommended I come here

General recipe advice question fine? Two years ago my mom made a fermented honey cranberry sauce that turned out great for thanksgiving. Recipe off the internet that wasn't saved, and while it was simple, it's definitely long lost. We tried the same (similar, different recipe) thing plus a ginger+orange one the next thanksgiving and both were kinda blah. I could live without the ginger one but man that first year's sauce was really good. Does anyone have anything that could fit the bill or any advice? I think the second one didn't have a whole lot of cranberry flavor at all and the berries were tough as hell if I remember right. The first year was dead simple and other than poking them I don't think they needed much if any prep other than flipping the jar every few days. Any help would be appreciated

It's honestly too late I think since she already made it as of a few hours ago. Are cranberries supposed to taste like crap or are they just naturally sour and saved with the sugar.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
They are naturally sour, which is actually a good thing

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Cranberries have hardly any sugar, yeah.

The honey fermented recipes I see are basically just piercing cranberries, adding some spices, and covering it with honey. What other flavors might it have had? Ginger, orange, cinnamon?

I'll expect it to be down to what spices were added and the fermentation conditions, ultimately.

I do need to get some cranberries started for Thanksgiving (I just lactic acid pickle them using a less-clovey version of this recipe), so that's a good reminder.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Some of those spices will interfere with a ferment if you use too much, cloves especially.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Some of those spices will interfere with a ferment if you use too much, cloves especially.

Very true, though the MakeSauerKraut recipe works as written, even with the cinnamon & clove amounts. I can't stand that many cloves, though, so now just add one or two buds.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hello! I've been happily doing my own kefir at home for about a month now without much of an issue. Generally have been leaving them doing their business on whole milk for exactly 48h.

Today I saw something new and potentially problematic: there were some yellow/orange lines throughout the top of the container. I immediately took that whole portion of and it doesn't seem that the rest underneath is affected by the same coloration, but I'm pretty concerned this whole batch gotta go and maybe even my whole (and only) culture.

I honestly don't know how this happened in the first place since I don't think I did anything different this time. Please advice if you have any experience with kefir on what to do here and how to avoid it in the future.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Hello! I've been happily doing my own kefir at home for about a month now without much of an issue. Generally have been leaving them doing their business on whole milk for exactly 48h.

Today I saw something new and potentially problematic: there were some yellow/orange lines throughout the top of the container. I immediately took that whole portion of and it doesn't seem that the rest underneath is affected by the same coloration, but I'm pretty concerned this whole batch gotta go and maybe even my whole (and only) culture.

I honestly don't know how this happened in the first place since I don't think I did anything different this time. Please advice if you have any experience with kefir on what to do here and how to avoid it in the future.

As long as it's not pink on top it's fine. Scrape the top off and discard if it bothers you. I've been making kefir for about 8 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I have four to six pounds of blue, black, and raspberries that I want to make into jam for Christmas gifts in half pint jars. I have some basic Ball Book of Canning recipes that would make perfectly adequate jam, but does anyone have an especially delicious recipe they'd recommend?