Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Painting thread cross post:

Electric Hobo posted:

I got my white so I could finish Lohith. He's made of Soulstone, a blue crystal, so the orange-yellow light makes him green. The backside only gets pale moonlight, so he stays blue there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
And I hoped that would be an easy model to knock off the shame pile, I forgot the lantern will want OSL, the reason I still haven't finished a few Kaeris' models. Good job though.
You wouldn't happen to have painted a Fire Golem, would you? I could use one for reference.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've got a few photos of the golem. It's one of the first I worked on to figure out flames and OSL, so it's a little rough.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Aww, not what I was looking for unfortunately. My problem is not OSL, it's getting a good shade of the heated brazier's metal grate.
I'll be totally stealing your OSL for the SS Golem though, except for my soulstones looking more like bismuth crystals.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I think most people just go with a dark metal (sort of cast iron brazier) vibes for the gratings and metalwork in the flame golem (I know I did, the main difference in colour scheme is i did the floating masks in a very light ivory layered over a gold to try and get a kind of superheated ceramic feel). You could try for the metal having a red glow but I think that'd be super hard to make look good. Aside from the technical aspects (glowing metal is difficult, there's nothing physical to have it casting the light on as you can't illuminate a flame, and so on) I think it'd make the model very busy with no focal point or contrast. The dark iron grates are much easier to do, give a real nice contrast and let the flames be the bright part

Electrichobo, as always model looks great, you have an eye for light! Still using mainly oils?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SiKboy posted:

You could try for the metal having a red glow but I think that'd be super hard to make look good.
I am and I am indeed having problems with translating the "red-hot metal also illuminated by fire" effect to painted miniature. And yet I refuse to compromise.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

Electrichobo, as always model looks great, you have an eye for light! Still using mainly oils?
Thanks! Yeah, I love them. Base coat and some metallic metals are still acrylics, as well as some washes, but everything that I blend is oils.

Pierzak posted:

Aww, not what I was looking for unfortunately. My problem is not OSL, it's getting a good shade of the heated brazier's metal grate.
I'll be totally stealing your OSL for the SS Golem though, except for my soulstones looking more like bismuth crystals.
How about checking out some of the many, many lava power sword tutorials? The black edge could help it stand out a bit, and you could mix in a bit of color for the osl. You could keep the metal in clean orange, red, yellow, and the flames in tans and ochres.
I did the flames on my Frostgrave wizard tat way, it sets it apart from the more pure orange. I kinda want to try painting something like that now.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
drat that's some nice lighting, for a moment I thought he's got LEDs inside those fireballs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I thought I was just going to buy McMourning to play M3E with my friends

Uh.

I have Tiri, Kastore, and Nexus shipping to me in addition to that.

Help.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Uh.

Help.

Haha, welcome! What made you pick those three specifically? How much experience with wargaming do you have? There are tons of great Malifaux resources out there.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Uh.

Help.

I saw your flesh construct in the mini painting thread, thought it looked pretty sweet but the thread was rebooted before I got a chance to say.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Haha, welcome! What made you pick those three specifically? How much experience with wargaming do you have? There are tons of great Malifaux resources out there.

Fallout, 40k, AoS, random etsy minis

Today's shipment:

I picked them cause they look cool. Unfortunately I wont be able to play till the 10th which means I will just need to keep grinding away at painting

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

X-post from painting thread:

SiKboy posted:

Did a little painting;

Dawn Serpent (Malifaux 3e). Pleased with how he turned out, the base ended up pretty nice, and the figure was fun albeit fairly simple. I printed the shrine rock base thing about a year ago with no clear idea where I'd end up using it, and it finally came in handy to make it look like the lil dragon could fly.

A couple of Draugr (Malifaux 3e). Yeah, I'd only heard the word in Skyrim too, but apparently they are an actual myth from scandinavian sagas.

The Dawn Serpent is an ebay rescue, and only had one of the nose smoke trails, made the executive decision that he looks better without any than with one. His previous owner had glued him flat to a base, crawling over some rocks, I doubled checked his card, and yeah, he can fly, so I pinned him to a 3d printed rock thing. I do have a spare flight stand somewhere, but thought it would get in the way of the basing in this case.

I like the Draugr models okay on their own merits, but if I was in charge I'd have had the sculptor give them some sort of viking element. Based to match the rest of the Revenant crew I did a while back, they're on graveyard styled bases but conspicuously keeping off the grass.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Looking good!
The Draugr are ripped, that seems appropriately viking-like, at least according to modern media.

I managed to get prize support from Wyrd for the league I'm running, so we ended up at 14 participants. That's pretty good, considering that we were two when the lockdowns ended.
We've had about 25 different players all in all, and most of them still play when they find the time.
It's nice that we've managed to keep it going in my extremely Games Workshop dominated area.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My customary X-post from the painting thread.

SiKboy posted:

Did a little more painting, all Malifaux

2 Dead Doxies. That tiny blue hat fell off the hand and got temporarily lost once while building, and then another twice when painting.

And a Wanyudo (which is apparently from japanese folk tales, a burning wheel with a face in the middle). Not the best fire I've ever done, but the weird orientations made it tough to judge which should be the brightest parts of the flames.

The green dead doxy has some pretty nasty gaps which I have no idea how I didnt notice and fill at the building stage, but somehow didnt see until I went to put the basecoats down. Not the end of the world, shes a zombie victim of a serial killer, so can just cover with some blood for the blood god and they look okay as wounds. But if anyone out there are building them, although they dont seem particularly tricky, take your time with the head/arms of the one on the left, even though it might look aligned just triple check. And I have no idea why that tiny hat isnt sculpted onto the hand on the sprue.

The Wanyudo was fun, after I decided what to do with the face. Really had some analysis paralysis between going with the grey I decided on, a sickly white (pallid wytch flesh probably) or a regular living skin tone. Could have done without him being symmetrical though (identical face on each side), at one point I realised I'd highlighted one side twice instead of what I thought I had done which was each side once. It was at that point I realised I should probably call it a night and pick him back up the next day.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I finally took decent pictures of all my painted Malifaux:

The reason I did is that I am selling all my Malifaux stuff (game died locally, unfortunately). All these and a bunch more unpainted are for sale in my SA Mart Thread

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Better than decent! I’m sorry to hear the game isn’t doing well where you are :(.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Cross post!

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted this happy guy for Wyrd's painting contest. I got 4 votes, which is infinitely better than the 0 I got last time.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Congratulations, you managed to outdo the T-Rex in the "most inadequate base size" competition :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Congratulations, you managed to outdo the T-Rex in the "most inadequate base size" competition :v:

If Wyrd won't take it to the next level, I will!