Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

80k posted:

Great to hear it works well for you. I tired to get Jekyll to work and it was a royal pain getting the ruby environment to work, which was a shame because I really wanted to try it.
I finally gave up and tried both pelican and Hugo and both worked really well for me.

I assume you're on Windows? If so, Ruby is a pain to get working. Here's an article by Dave Rupert who switched to Windows as an experiment. He had a nightmare of a time and he's a high level guy. http://daverupert.com/2016/04/jekyll-on-windows-with-bash/

Anyway, I'm on a Mac so Ruby is installed by default. I'd suggest poking around Dave's blog to see if you can find anything that helps you because it's really the best CMS IMO. Shame you can't use it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Moniker posted:

I assume you're on Windows? If so, Ruby is a pain to get working. Here's an article by Dave Rupert who switched to Windows as an experiment. He had a nightmare of a time and he's a high level guy. http://daverupert.com/2016/04/jekyll-on-windows-with-bash/

Anyway, I'm on a Mac so Ruby is installed by default. I'd suggest poking around Dave's blog to see if you can find anything that helps you because it's really the best CMS IMO. Shame you can't use it!

I actually tried it on Ubuntu 14.04 (knew better than to try on Windows), which has Ruby installed by default, but not version 2 which is what Jekyll 3 needs. Took forever just to get the right version of Ruby to cooperate with the installer, after which I could not get it to install all of the Jekyll dependencies I needed for even basic functionality. At this point, if I try it again, I will use a dedicated VM with the latest Ubuntu release and see if I get on better.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

80k posted:

I actually tried it on Ubuntu 14.04 (knew better than to try on Windows), which has Ruby installed by default, but not version 2 which is what Jekyll 3 needs. Took forever just to get the right version of Ruby to cooperate with the installer, after which I could not get it to install all of the Jekyll dependencies I needed for even basic functionality. At this point, if I try it again, I will use a dedicated VM with the latest Ubuntu release and see if I get on better.

Sounds like a nightmare. Enough to make me never try again.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
What is the recommended way of going about changing a domain name? I found a better domain name and want to change it over, without losing what little SEO I may have.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

BJA posted:

What is the recommended way of going about changing a domain name? I found a better domain name and want to change it over, without losing what little SEO I may have.
  • First, you want to get the new domain up and running simultaneously with the old one - also change the old domain to the new in via your CMS.
  • Then, you want to 301 redirect the old domain to the new domain (this passes almost all of the link juice to the new domain).
  • Next, you want to go through and change any back links that you can to the new domain. So if you've got directory listings, social media, etc. you can get all of those changed.
  • Finally, you just wait for Google to index the new URL. It might take a day or 30 to process all of the pages, but from that point, you're done.
The main thing to do is 301 redirect and to change any off-site links that you might have access to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If you're signed up for Google Webmaster tools you can submit a URL change request and they'll process it within a few hours.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

FCKGW posted:

If you're signed up for Google Webmaster tools you can submit a URL change request and they'll process it within a few hours.

You can also just go to this page if you're not (You should be if you run a website) https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url?hl=en_uk&pli=1

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I think the one benefit the wordpress has over jekyll is that users can comment. Is it possible to embed disqus into a jekyll site?

I haven't updated my site in forever, but I'm convinced that people still regularly commenting on my posts is what keeps it decently ranked in google.

edit: Nevermind, a quick google search tells me you can implement disqus within a jekyl site. Going to start playing with this next week. I wonder if you can use firebase to store basic user submitted data coming off of the jekyl site?

grenada fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 24, 2016

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

laxbro posted:

I think the one benefit the wordpress has over jekyll is that users can comment. Is it possible to embed disqus into a jekyll site?

I haven't updated my site in forever, but I'm convinced that people still regularly commenting on my posts is what keeps it decently ranked in google.

edit: Nevermind, a quick google search tells me you can implement disqus within a jekyl site. Going to start playing with this next week. I wonder if you can use firebase to store basic user submitted data coming off of the jekyl site?

I use Disqus on my Jekyll site.

Google tells me there's a bit you can do with Firebase and Jekyll although I haven't done it.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
How do you guys capitalize on a post going viral?

I've had 50k hits this month on one article that I wrote a year ago. It has Adsense and Amazon affiliate links so I'm making money off of it... but I'm getting very, very few clicks to other articles or other links.

Here's the article in question:

http://www.sciencebadger.com/do-himalayan-salt-lamps-work/

I have a few other articles that have had a few thousand lifetime hits; however, most of the 50+ articles I have written are sitting at a hundred or so total lifetime hits. I'm using multiple forms of "You should also look at this" on my site ... I don't know what else to do!

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

KetTarma posted:

I've had 50k hits this month on one article that I wrote a year ago. It has Adsense and Amazon affiliate links so I'm making money off of it... but I'm getting very, very few clicks to other articles or other links.

I have a few other articles that have had a few thousand lifetime hits; however, most of the 50+ articles I have written are sitting at a hundred or so total lifetime hits. I'm using multiple forms of "You should also look at this" on my site ... I don't know what else to do!

I've had luck with writing posts related to my well performing ones and interlinking that way. So if my well performing post is something like '10 dog walking tips everyone can use' I'll flesh out some of those ten points into a post of it's own. Sometimes the comments themselves are a gold mine of opportunities, especially if people are asking similar questions. If it's a review post I might add in a comparison to another similar thing I've reviewed. I try to think of the original intent of why someone ended up on my post and come up with related questions they may have. Just googling and seeing what the similar results are should give you a pretty good idea of what people are looking for. Sometimes I'll add in more details to the original post and other times I'm able to come up with another big question/topic that I can write and link to.

It's not easy to do with all articles depending on the topic and/or depth, but usually I can brainstorm a few related topics that I can make into other posts.

Generally those links within my articles do a lot better than my related links at the bottom. I also see a lot of bloggers put a line like "Related: How to stop your dog from pulling on leash" or something in it's own bolded area within the post itself. I haven't done that but I assume it may work pretty well since many people seem to be doing it.

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 2, 2016

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm writing my first blog post on wordpress.org, should I be embedding my photos via flickr or uploading them to the wordpress media library? I realize I have limited hosting space so it seems like linking to flickr is better in the long run for a photo heavy blog. But I'm a total noob to having my own website so are there any gotchas I hadn't considered? Sorry this is so basic I'm almost embarrassed to even ask.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

KetTarma posted:

I would go through the article and find any keywords that might be relevant to other articles you've written and link to those.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

After 2 months of getting at least 2k hits per day on one article from Facebook, I've suddenly found that I'm only getting 100 hits per day for no apparent reason. One day 3k hits. The next day 100.

I guess Facebook decided that enough people had seen my article. Is that a thing?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

KetTarma posted:

After 2 months of getting at least 2k hits per day on one article from Facebook, I've suddenly found that I'm only getting 100 hits per day for no apparent reason. One day 3k hits. The next day 100.

I guess Facebook decided that enough people had seen my article. Is that a thing?

Perhaps it has something to do with this? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/11/15/facebook-and-google-take-action-against-fake-news-sites/

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Unless he's paying for advertisement I don't think it should matter much.

KetTarma posted:

Are you paying for advertising? Are you posting from a third party? Has anything at all changed?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Moniker posted:

Unless he's paying for advertisement I don't think it should matter much.

Are you paying for advertising? Are you posting from a third party? Has anything at all changed?

Nope, nope, and nope. I actually haven't done -anything- with the blog in the past week or two. I mainly have been posting on a different blog trying to get the traffic up.

Monday my 2k-4k average hits on an article dropped to 200 Monday, 200 yesterday, and 100 so far today. My normal ~2k Facebook referrals has dropped to 20-100ish. The article in question is debunking bad science, ironically enough and has had about 125k views to date.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Nope, nope, and nope. I actually haven't done -anything- with the blog in the past week or two. I mainly have been posting on a different blog trying to get the traffic up.

Monday my 2k-4k average hits on an article dropped to 200 Monday, 200 yesterday, and 100 so far today. My normal ~2k Facebook referrals has dropped to 20-100ish. The article in question is debunking bad science, ironically enough and has had about 125k views to date.

Honestly it's probably something to do with their algorithm. They very well could be trying to get you to purchase more eyeballs so they're nerfing your reach. I guess it's your call what you want to do next but personally I'd wait it out and see if it changes.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I've been contracted to improve traffic and views for the blog portion of the online store Musart Boutique (blog found here: https://musartboutique.com/musart-blog/), but apparently this is much more difficult than I initially thought.

We have a Facebook/Twitter feed and post on those, but I was wondering if there were any other ways to encourage growth? I've been contacting blogs personally in regards to sharing articles/links, but most have not been receptive.

Does anyone here know about any collaborative sources or avenues of advertising that are readily available?

Thanks!

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

What exactly are you looking for KPI wise?

You could use https://www.revcontent.com/, not sure how low you could get your CPCs though. Do you have a budget set aside for promotion / traffic to spend on FB or content networks?

Are you allowed to edit the blog design? As it is the page just dies at the end of the post, you need to include a related / top posts section after to keep users clicking. Growth will come from users posting comments / sharing the content, so having some share buttons that stand out and perhaps a Facebook powered comments section will help.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

This is going to be a strange question, but has anyone setup a site that is designed to attract angry visitors, for example having a site that only has articles that are anti vaping, link to studies/articles about the negatives, and just generally troll the people that are in favor of the topic. I've got an idea for a site, not about vaping, but I'd rather not invest time/energy/money into developing it if there probably won't be any traffic or way of generating revenue.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

diremonk posted:

This is going to be a strange question, but has anyone setup a site that is designed to attract angry visitors, for example having a site that only has articles that are anti vaping, link to studies/articles about the negatives, and just generally troll the people that are in favor of the topic. I've got an idea for a site, not about vaping, but I'd rather not invest time/energy/money into developing it if there probably won't be any traffic or way of generating revenue.

That's actually an interesting idea. Sort of like the Howard Stern effect. More people who don't like him listen than those who do. I don't think that would work too well with a website though. But maybe it's worth a shot.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Moniker posted:

That's actually an interesting idea. Sort of like the Howard Stern effect. More people who don't like him listen than those who do. I don't think that would work too well with a website though. But maybe it's worth a shot.

Thanks for actually explaining it better than I did, but yeah that is my idea. I've already got unlimited hosting already so the only cost would be my time and the $12 for the domain. If it fails, then I'm not out too much.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

diremonk posted:

Thanks for actually explaining it better than I did, but yeah that is my idea. I've already got unlimited hosting already so the only cost would be my time and the $12 for the domain. If it fails, then I'm not out too much.

I'm not sure if it would work, but in a way it's sort of the idea of "fake news". Make the headlines so sensational that people will share them if they agree or if they disagree. Just don't be an unethical oval office and I'm sure you'll do okay

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

Moniker posted:

I'm not sure if it would work, but in a way it's sort of the idea of "fake news". Make the headlines so sensational that people will share them if they agree or if they disagree. Just don't be an unethical oval office and I'm sure you'll do okay

Yeah, I'm going to be careful about it if I decide to give it a try. I'd rather not be one of the assholes that generate headlines that are pure clickbait like the fake death ones I've been seeing. It would be more along the lines of this politican said this, but two months ago they said that, and then their spokesperson clarified, etc.

Then again, maybe I should just concentrate on my other established site and see if I can grow the traffic on it. Only getting 20 views or so a day, gotta be a way to improve that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I ran a website where I bashed a company's product and then the company bought out my blog for thousands to dollars to remove the negative search rankings. Then the FTC shut the company down so I just relaunched it anyways so I say go for it!

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

diremonk posted:

While it's not exactly the same sort of thing there are some really popular blogs that are all about picking a side of a polarizing subject. The ones I'm thinking of immediately are all about holistic & 'natural' stuff ( food babe, dogs naturally, etc) that spend a lot of time writing things like "50 harmful things about x chemical" or "101 reasons not to get the x vaccine," and on the other side there are some pretty popular skeptic ones as well.

Choosing one side of a topic is a good way to know your target audience, and that makes staying on track & figuring out what sorts of things to write a bit easier. And it's even better if it's something you believe in and or care about since that makes sticking with it less of a slog.

If you're comfortable writing about the topic and don't mind pissing off some folks I'd say go for it, especially if you're going to be backing up your writing with references - which is something that's sorely missed in a lot of blogs.

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 15, 2016

Dog Blogs Man
Apr 16, 2007

how are you gentlemen i am a god amongst goons
On a similar note, my most successful post that went viral was pretty much an embedded youtube video of that drunk doctor wrecking the uber driver's car. It got shared on some facebook page, worldstar i think, and the comments section was mental. They hated her.

I made $800 from adsense in 2 days.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

I run a skeptic blog that gets a few hundred hits per day.

If you go that route be prepared for hate. Like, actual "I want to murder you" hate. Some people out there are literally crazy and will harass you.

Debunk an antivax article? Now 5 antivaxxers are harassing you daily on social media. I would recommend registering your domain name with maximum privacy enabled and fully divorcing your writing from your actual name. There are groups out there devoted to doxxing and harassing skeptics.

Fair warning.

It's also emotionally draining. You can write about kids dying from bleach enemas then have nasty messages from moms that funnel bleach in their kid''s asses calling you Hitler and wanting to know where you work so they can get you fired when you wake up.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I'm having an issue with my WP blog and hopefully one of you guys can help. My Avantlink affiliate link encoder stopped working, and I'm getting these errors in the debug log:

code:
25-Feb-2017 15:18:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: title in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avantlink-wp/widget-product-ad-widget.php on line 46
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: HTTPS in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avantlink-wp/avantlink-wp.php on line 173
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  The called constructor method for WP_Widget in AvantLink_PSF_Widget is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3891
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  The called constructor method for WP_Widget in AvantLink_PAW_Widget is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3891
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  The called constructor method for WP_Widget in AvantLink_RP_Widget is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3891
I've manually reinstalled the current version of the Avantlink plugin, to no avail. Not sure what to try next.

In other news, I am experimenting with using AdWords. I started a campaign with a $1/day spending limit. After <1 week, my usual 2-3 hits is up to 20-30 hits the last couple days.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Big Taint posted:

I'm having an issue with my WP blog and hopefully one of you guys can help. My Avantlink affiliate link encoder stopped working, and I'm getting these errors in the debug log:

code:
25-Feb-2017 15:18:34 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: title in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avantlink-wp/widget-product-ad-widget.php on line 46
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: HTTPS in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-content/plugins/avantlink-wp/avantlink-wp.php on line 173
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  The called constructor method for WP_Widget in AvantLink_PSF_Widget is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3891
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  The called constructor method for WP_Widget in AvantLink_PAW_Widget is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3891
[25-Feb-2017 15:18:36 UTC] PHP Notice:  The called constructor method for WP_Widget in AvantLink_RP_Widget is <strong>deprecated</strong> since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /home/commonsa/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3891
I've manually reinstalled the current version of the Avantlink plugin, to no avail. Not sure what to try next.

In other news, I am experimenting with using AdWords. I started a campaign with a $1/day spending limit. After <1 week, my usual 2-3 hits is up to 20-30 hits the last couple days.
It looks like their most updated version of the plugin isn't as updated as wordpress and you might have to manually change something in the php. I'm not overly familiar with that plugin. The Wordpress thread here probably has people with more experience hacking things to work, I've done things a bit like making a custom plugin so ads only appear on certain pages so Adsense doesn't get mad at me but I'm not enough of a php expert to troubleshoot everything (you can try doing what the error suggests and changing the code and see what happens, just make sure you have a backup of the un-modified plugin before you start in case that does nothing or makes things worse!) wordpress thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3161913

KetTarma posted:

If you go that route be prepared for hate. Like, actual "I want to murder you" hate. Some people out there are literally crazy and will harass you.

You get those people from almost everything, people are insane and will go off for the weirdest reasons you can never predict. My movie site has had 5 lawsuit threats, including an actor in softcore films mad that I figured out he acts in them under one name and in B movie films as another (he pretended he wasn't that person and then faked emailing me as various actresses to support his ridiculous claim, when I literally was in communication with directors of those films who said he was the same guy), I got actual lawyer letters from an actress upset I listed her as a cast member of a film she was in and demanded I take down the review (and two completely unrelated reviews because they featured actresses with the same first name as her), militia members upset when I made fun of their militia right after Obama was elected, and a Taiwan film company got upset I wrote about a movie of theirs from 30 years ago and seemed to think I was giving away copies of it. It was satisfying to tell all those people to shove it.

I've also been with with DMCA strikes on five pages this year, none of which have videos and most of which are low traffic pages but it's annoying because I don't want to leave it alone and thus the automated software starts hitting every page I have, will probably talk to a lawyer in a few weeks.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, thread about blogging, I'm looking for some advice about blogging.

My day job is Software Engineering and I had the silly idea to buy the domain LiterateInternet.com. My idea is to start a blog with tutorials and writeups that explain to laypeople how certain aspects of the internet work. I think the world could stand to have better "internet citizens" - people that knew how to keep themselves safe online, how to talk to their kids about using the internet, and gave a poo poo about net neutrality.

Now I can write up and down all day long about these topics but where I'm stuck on is trying to get it in front of someone to get feedback from my writing. There isn't a 'Internet Citizen' subreddit where I can just start sharing posts. AFAIK I'm doing my due dilligence as far as SEO - linking out to relevant topics in posts, using wordpress for its built-in support for technical aspects of SEO. Where can I share my posts to get the search engines to even start indexing my content?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Careful Drums posted:

Hey, thread about blogging, I'm looking for some advice about blogging.

My day job is Software Engineering and I had the silly idea to buy the domain LiterateInternet.com. My idea is to start a blog with tutorials and writeups that explain to laypeople how certain aspects of the internet work. I think the world could stand to have better "internet citizens" - people that knew how to keep themselves safe online, how to talk to their kids about using the internet, and gave a poo poo about net neutrality.

Now I can write up and down all day long about these topics but where I'm stuck on is trying to get it in front of someone to get feedback from my writing. There isn't a 'Internet Citizen' subreddit where I can just start sharing posts. AFAIK I'm doing my due dilligence as far as SEO - linking out to relevant topics in posts, using wordpress for its built-in support for technical aspects of SEO. Where can I share my posts to get the search engines to even start indexing my content?

They'll start indexing immediately. Add your site to Webmaster Tools on Google and Bing and they'll start being crawled.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

What's everyone's social media strategy look like? I've got a Facebook Page, and joined Twitter and Instagram. I "boosted" one of my Facebook posts and it ended up around 18 yen per clickthrough.

When I have an actual blog post, it generally goes to all three (I don't post new posts that often). I'm using the Twitter for stuff that's in my subject area but not really worth it's own blog post. And Instagram is also "lifestyle" stuff like blurry pictures of drunk salarymen. So I'm trying to give people a reason to follow all three. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

zmcnulty posted:

What's everyone's social media strategy look like? I've got a Facebook Page, and joined Twitter and Instagram. I "boosted" one of my Facebook posts and it ended up around 18 yen per clickthrough.

When I have an actual blog post, it generally goes to all three (I don't post new posts that often). I'm using the Twitter for stuff that's in my subject area but not really worth it's own blog post. And Instagram is also "lifestyle" stuff like blurry pictures of drunk salarymen. So I'm trying to give people a reason to follow all three. Thoughts?

I'd look to see if people with blogs similar to yours are on Pinterest. It has a reputation for being just about cooking or health (or 'just a network for women') but from what I see almost every type of blogger is represented there.

As far as getting traffic it's my favorite by far. It's not going to get you 500 hits the day a post goes live like facebook might, but it brings in a ton of long term traffic. I have pins from 2 years ago that still bring in hundreds of visits a day. So as far as getting a decent return of investment when it comes to time spent on social media I get the best results by far from Pinterest and making sure any 'how to' or idea type posts have a good image to go with it.

It's more like a search engine than social network. People go there looking for ideas, and if you have a clear vertical photo and good description of what your pin is all about it can get shared like crazy. And for making 'pin worthy images' take a look at canva. It has a ton of free options that make it pretty simple.

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 5, 2017

• Locked thread