Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elblanco
May 26, 2008

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

How do the DBZ and Dragonball Super ccgs compare? I noticed the Super one is put out by Bandai so I'm guessing it's just the Japanese one translated.

yes and no, Super is very similar to IC, but it's got more rules and mechanics. The cards also do different things, so they just share art overall. Super is a really fun game overall, I'd suggest trying it, even though it's nothing like DBZ.

Also, don't bother with most of the online community. The sub-reddit is ok for news and stuff, but the discord and FB group are poo poo.

Edit: The worst snipe

Elblanco fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Heard about this project over the weekend from a friend. Wanted to share it here for any nostalgic Star Wars players. Full disclosure I might end up in the background of a shot if this funds.

quote:

“One With The Force” is a documentary about the Star Wars Customizable Card Game (SWCCG) and the incredible story of the community of players who have kept it alive. The history of SWCCG and its players is fascinating. Its rise and fall and then resurgence as a "player owned" game is unique within the gaming industry.

https://www.gofundme.com/star-wars-ccg-documentary

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LongDarkNight posted:

Heard about this project over the weekend from a friend. Wanted to share it here for any nostalgic Star Wars players. Full disclosure I might end up in the background of a shot if this funds.

I didn't play, but I was around when SWCCG came out. Like the Star Trek game by the same company, it blatantly favored rich kids; cards like Darth Vader were insanely rare, and there was no reason at all to play Fred the Stormtrooper if you had Vader. I'm quite surprised that people are keeping it alive today.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The thing that really bugged me was that there were a bunch of cards that specifically required those super-rare iconic characters. Which were not rare, and thus filled boosters with useless garbage.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

malkav11 posted:

The thing that really bugged me was that there were a bunch of cards that specifically required those super-rare iconic characters. Which were not rare, and thus filled boosters with useless garbage.

I collected the game when it came out because I was a huge SW fan (I remember getting a bunch of Jabba's Palace boosters for one of my birthdays) but was too young to really be able to grasp the nuances of the game, and I stopped playing around the time of the Special Edition expansion. Several years later my brother and I dragged our collections out of storage and played the game a fair bit, and I remember enjoying it but by then it was basically dead.

I can barely remember the mechanics of the game anymore, but I do recall that it was fairly complex. What are people's takes on it in retrospect, aside from the obvious issue of needing to spend a fair amount of money to get those iconic character cards?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't think I could ever actually play the game the way the devs originally intended but the cards were always nice to look at.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
There's always this interesting story about the Star Wars TCG that I always go back to when I think of how Magic judging could always be worse:

http://thehellbox.blogspot.com/2007/02/it-was-worst-of-times-period.html

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

There's always this interesting story about the Star Wars TCG that I always go back to when I think of how Magic judging could always be worse:

http://thehellbox.blogspot.com/2007/02/it-was-worst-of-times-period.html

how in the gently caress did that company even exist? What a cluster gently caress.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Decipher was always a shitshow and both SW and ST were basically unplayable terrible at all points despite having some interesting design directions. Both survived for ages beyond their quality level solely based on the rabid fans of the license, never based on their own merits.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Decipher was always a shitshow and both SW and ST were basically unplayable terrible at all points despite having some interesting design directions. Both survived for ages beyond their quality level solely based on the rabid fans of the license, never based on their own merits.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug too. Just like grognards claiming that older editions of games were the better edition or the correct version, CCG's have the same trend. Once you've developed a level of system mastery on a game with complicated or terrible rules, people will fall into a hole where they assume anyone can just pick this game up and play at their level. What makes it worse aside from the base rules are the set specific rules and the propensity for Decipher to release silver bullet cards or mechanics to curve strategies players abused in previous sets. The power creep was also ridiculous in that you had to keep on getting the newest version of a character because it was almost always objectively better than the previous iteration.

I have a bunch of cards from most the sets, including some of the better cards from Reflections II, but it's post-MtG ccg craze as gently caress. It's honestly up there with VtES with games that were alright to good for their time but are done with for a reason.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I got into the game late in it's life cycle so I can't comment about the early days. Decipher definitely had design problems with all the silver bullets and the refusal to ban cards. The Player's Committee that has kept the game alive has done a lot rebalance the game and keep it fresh. They've even got arrangement that lets them publish new cards based on the movies that have been released since Decipher lost the license. You can play for free now with Star Wars GEMP, browser based with rules enforcement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They were also behind the old LotR game, and honestly, nobody sane plays any part of it after the movie blocks finished.

Fellowship Block or bust, IMO.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Even by the end of Fellowship the game was a mess. Elves and Men with all their toys was incredibly dominant. They printed a bunch of silver bullets in Towers block that did next to nothing to fix the meta.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah but at least it's early enough along that an actual ban list is enough to salvage it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Peak Decipher was printing Writ of Accountability in Star Trek, which was literally "If your opponent has played/used [any of about 8 different cards] more than once this game, they lose the game."

Edit: here we go

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 20, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

TipTow posted:

Peak Decipher was printing Writ of Accountability in Star Trek, which was literally "If your opponent has played/used [any of about 8 different cards] more than once this game, they lose the game."

Edit: here we go

The 'fun' thing about that card was that some of the cards it de-facto banned had already had countermeasures printed, which interacted weirdly with the Writ. For example, Horga'hn, iirc, gave you double turns for the rest of the game. Utterly broken, of course, but Decipher never banned cards. So before they printed Writ, they first tried to weaken it with a countermeasure card that let you take double turns too if your opponent used Horga'hn in play.

Now, the Writ makes you lose the game if you use the Horga'hn too often. So your opponent could play Horga'hn, take a double turn, you play the countermeasure, take a double turn yourself so it stays even... and then they could slap you with Writ and you lose the game because of a broken card they played!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Countblanc posted:

Weiss Schwarz is DEFINITELY not a dead CCG

Every month I dig through the shops box of Bushi promos because I know there will be some dumb WS anime girl promos I can use for magic tokens. I have yet to be disappointed.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Persona WS as tokens or bust.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what exactly was so bad about the Operatives in the Star Wars CCG? I never played it and I keep hearing that as the definitive "Decipher is a terrible games company" example.

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding

Randalor posted:

So what exactly was so bad about the Operatives in the Star Wars CCG? I never played it and I keep hearing that as the definitive "Decipher is a terrible games company" example.

They were straight up broken until they received errata making them one per site. They were cheap characters that sped up your ability to deplete your opponent’s deck, which also served as their life.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Randalor posted:

To give a magic equivalent, they were like...

Black Magic Woman posted:

B
Creature - Human Witch
Your deck may contain any number of creatures names Black Magic Woman.

At the beginning of each upkeep, each opponent loses one life.
1/1

Only worse because board wipes didn't really exist, and creatures could only really interact with creatures in areas they were on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayostard
Apr 21, 2007

In the Chamber of Understanding
My mistake, I forgot that operatives interacted with another card in a way that made them broken.
There was a card that allowed them to draw 1 destiny each. In Star Wars, each card had a number (0-7) in the upper right corner, this was its destiny number and during combat when a player had characters with Ability equaling 4 or more, they turned over the top card of their deck and added the destiny number to their Power total. So by having 4 operatives, who had 1 Power and 1 Ability each, at the same site, a player could draw 5 total destiny and decimate any attacker.

I also forgot about the Cumulative Rule, their force drain addition didn’t stack with other operatives at the same site. Cards with the same name had to specify if their text was cumulative.

• Locked thread