Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I guess I'll throw my numbers into the pile: 7865 GB written in 8301 hours on a Samsung 830 256 GB.
Which is roughly 23 GB/day. And that's including Steam, various games and absolutely not giving a poo poo about minimizing writes to it at all. Also hibernation file for 8 GB of RAM, though I usually just shut down. :shrug:
Most of it is probably Firefox caching poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
For the op rewrite it may make sense to make use of flow charts and huge bold links that go to separate posts.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Alereon posted:

Good suggestion, thanks! Now that I have a Samsung SSD and can poke at the Magician, I think that would be enable all the features it disabled (ensure everything on advanced tab says "Deactivate"), set Pagefile to Windows defaults, set Power Plan to Balanced, and re-enabled System Restore. Can you think of any other changes that are needed?

I wasn't aware of this stuff. I just installed an 850 Pro into my new laptop. It doesn't seem like Magician made any changes, at least from looking at the panel you're talking about. Any guides out there to optimizing the Samsung for Windows 8.1 or common knowledge adjustments I should make?

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
11.17TB since about the beginning of November. Should I be worried with 1TB/mo in writes? :ohdear:

I guess that's still about 9 years with an assumed life of 100TBW.

So I suppose I'm a good use case for why SSD endurance is just fine(TM). I use this laptop for *everything*. It's my torrent downloading, media serving, Lightroom using, Firefox disk thrashing machine. It's both my work and personal laptop, so this guy runs effectively 24/7.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Bob Morales posted:

I worked at a place that backed up Synology units to HD's using a dock. Monthly backups would be put back in a static bag and placed in a fire safe. Weekly backups would rotate. There were times I would grab a monthly set and half the drives in the set wouldn't be recognized and had to be RMA'd.

Anecdotal yes, but I don't trust hard drives that aren't powered on.

Highlighted the problems which probably led to that happening. The static bags aren't a bad idea but it's easy to screw up ESD safety while the drives are out of the bags. Mechanical shock is probably the worse problem, because if anybody who ever handles the drives doesn't know to treat them like they are made of pure eggshells, it's easy to damage them. IDK if it's actually accurate, but the number which has stuck with me over the years is that shock equivalent to a drop of as little as one or two inches onto a hard surface can be enough. 2.5" drives are better because they have to be, but still rather fragile overall.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Alereon posted:

Oh definitely, though do you know of any easy ways for someone to determine how much data they write a day?

For Mac users, you could put in that OS X Activity Monitor's disk panel will tell you how much has been read and written since the last reboot. It shows the sum of all drives, so ideally you want to reboot and use the computer for a day without attaching any other drives.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Alereon posted:

Edit 2: I'm at 509GB written in a month, but that is on a new install, and includes 100GB of Steam games. I currently have 151GB used...for a nearly identical 12GB/day average in transitory data. It'll be interesting to see how that stabilizes now that I'm mostly done installing and deleting stuff.

I'll add my numbers: Bought a 256GB drive in 06/2012, 4.83TB written. I haven't done anything to try to minimize / avoid writes either, and its constantly has less than 10gb free, often has been completely filled when I wasn't paying attention.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I've managed to smash 1.65TB onto my 1TB EVO since mid-June, so about 27-28GB/day. That includes setting up a brand new Windows 8 install, pushing over 130GB worth of Steam games, and probably another 100GB worth of other games, a 16GB hibernation file that I use multiple times a day (because my stupid rear end HDMI-only monitors can't figure out how to sleep without disconnecting and loving up window placement every damned time), and absolutely not giving any fucks about trying to be "nice" to my drive.

So basically anyone who has concerns about "running out" on a 256+GB SSD should probably stop and think about how far 256GB actually gets you these days. Hint: Really, really far.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I just wanna point out that it scores better than this thread's darling 840 EVO in that "Mean service time - Write" test.

BobHoward posted:

Mechanical shock is probably the worse problem, because if anybody who ever handles the drives doesn't know to treat them like they are made of pure eggshells, it's easy to damage them. IDK if it's actually accurate, but the number which has stuck with me over the years is that shock equivalent to a drop of as little as one or two inches onto a hard surface can be enough. 2.5" drives are better because they have to be, but still rather fragile overall.
HDDs are only fragile while spinning. Once the head is safely parked, they can take some serious abuse.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

td4guy posted:

I just wanna point out that it scores better than this thread's darling 840 EVO in that "Mean service time - Write" test.
Performance consistency when stressed has never been a strong point of Samsung drives (until the 850 Pro), that's why they weren't recommended for Macs without TRIM and it's not recommended to overfill them, particularly the 840 Evo. Their "killer app" has always been their performance for typical desktop workloads, value, and reliability.

xdice
Feb 15, 2006

Ika posted:

I'll add my numbers: Bought a 256GB drive in 06/2012, 4.83TB written. I haven't done anything to try to minimize / avoid writes either, and its constantly has less than 10gb free, often has been completely filled when I wasn't paying attention.

I'll also add my numbers. Samsung 830 256gb, 7978gb written, 18999 power on hours. I also have a Crucial M4 in the desktop, it's the "crap I don't care about drive", and it also doesn't tell me how much has been written to it (but it's been powered on for 20604 hours, never hit the 5000 hour bug.).

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
OCZ Vertex 2 160GB, 5696GB written, 30250 hours powered on.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
23949 on my M4, flashed it before the 5k hour bug hit. It's never given me issues either, and it's reporting about 91% life remaining via SMART. Never noticed that it doesn't report read/write totals, that's strange.

I've got an Intel 320 that I bought at the same time for the laptop, with 8GB RAM. I use hibernate/hybrid sleep at least a couple times a day, because I'm constantly picking the laptop up, putting it down, waking it back up, etc. 311 power on hours, 3147 power cycles, host writes 3.14TB. Never a glitch or any slowness with it either, even though it's spent quite a bit of time over 80-90% full when I'm working on a project. Right now it's at 25GB/111GB free.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

PitViper posted:

311 power on hours, 3147 power cycles,
You seriously power cycle an average of 10 times an hour when you're using it? Yikes.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

xdice posted:

I'll also add my numbers. Samsung 830 256gb, 7978gb written, 18999 power on hours. I also have a Crucial M4 in the desktop, it's the "crap I don't care about drive", and it also doesn't tell me how much has been written to it (but it's been powered on for 20604 hours, never hit the 5000 hour bug.).

Another 830 256 here with 14795 hours and 36.37TB written. No reallocated sectors yet and wear leveling raw value says 14f, can't figure out what that means.

My Sandisk Extreme 240gb has 1.73GB written in 12819 hours and 1 retired block.

Both are 100% health according to Crystaldisk Info.

Fallows fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 17, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
:siren:New thread is here:siren:

Alereon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Aug 17, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I love you, boo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU