Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
The best part of the clojure community dropping SLIME was that you could upgrade it again; I almost wish they'd never tried to integrate with it because it made switching between one of the free CLs and clojure really annoying.

That said, at the time I was still primarily using lispworks so losing slime didn't really bother me all that much.

Also, you guys recommending that someone who just started using clojure abandon it for common lisp are nuts. Good debugging doesn't make up for all of the differences that clojure did right (built-in persistent data structures, a sane approach to time, a community that isn't made up of angry neckbeards and dickheads (this applies to c.l.lisp; I'm sure the irc folks are great), etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yeah I'm sure the IRC folks are fan-loving-spastic.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What options exist for non-Emacs-based Clojure development?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
There's fireplace.vim. Light Table looks really slick but I've heard it has rough edges once you get into it. (Then again, what doesn't?) Cursive integrates with IntelliJ, if that's your thing. (They're still in development, which probably means they're as stable as CIDER.) Counterclockwise is the analogous thing for Eclipse.

Basically, Googling "Clojure IDE" gives you a lot of options.

I really liked SLIME when I could get it to run, but I recall it needing a ridiculous amount of care and feeding. (The official install was the CVS checkout? Something about tracking the changes in Swank and SLIME at the same time.) Was I just doing it wrong, or has it gotten easier to keep running?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Bongo Bill posted:

I've been using and enjoying Cursive, since I also use IntelliJ for Java and Python.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pgroce posted:

You using CIDER? It doesn't have a debugger (they've made noises about incorporating the Ritz debugger, which was informed by Slime), but when you get errors it lets you automatically filter out the tooling and clojure-infrastructure stack frames that are just hiding the actual error 99% of the time.

I use Sublime Text, not Emacs, and I do my compilation in a terminal outside the editor anyways because that's also where I do my version control and whatnot. I should probably see about writing a Lein plugin to make compilation errors less of a skullfuck, but it's still pretty inexcusable that the compiler reacts to trivial syntax errors by crashing.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Bongo Bill posted:

Cursive is pretty good. I use it at work when I my clojure stuff is interfacing with our main codebase (most of it's java or (ugh) scala). CIDER has some advantages over it, but cursive has the advantage of not having to gently caress around with middleware and upgrading things together. And intellij is fantastic for a java IDE.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

drgnvale posted:

a community that isn't made up of angry neckbeards and dickheads

Isn't that why people use Lisp?

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

drgnvale posted:

Also, you guys recommending that someone who just started using clojure abandon it for common lisp are nuts.

It's actually a good time to switch, since he doesn't have much invested yet.

I'm not saying he should. He might have very good reasons to use Clojure, but if he just picked a Lisp at random it might be worth it to check others out and see if he likes it better since coming from Common Lisp I don't see Clojure having many advantages.

Also Slime is trivially installable using Quicklisp these days.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

aerique posted:

It's actually a good time to switch, since he doesn't have much invested yet.

She.

Anyway Clojush looks amazing and I really like the interoperability with Java. I'll put up with some frustrating debugging experiences for that.

Tooling can always be fixed. Fundamental language design decisions are (almost) forever.

Cider seems pretty good, and there's an inspector in there that I only noticed because it's currently broken on my machine :v:

I had a successful run with my low level GP prototype! It evolved the incredible ability to pass the result of "find food" to "eat".

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dessert Rose posted:

I had a successful run with my low level GP prototype! It evolved the incredible ability to pass the result of "find food" to "eat".

Congratulations!

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Clojure has interactive debugging ala edebug now :woop: in Cider 0.9.

I just recently discovered edebug, so this is pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

Dessert Rose posted:

Clojure has interactive debugging ala edebug now :woop: in Cider 0.9.

I just recently discovered edebug, so this is pretty amazing.

I am so excited right now :slick:

• Locked thread