Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Dried homemade bread (mom still bakes regularly and saves a bit of every loaf as Turkey Tribute), onions and celery briefly boiled in turkey broth (we buy extra necks and make broth with them for this plus extra gravy), turkey shreds (the neck meat plus, sometimes, the giblets) which of course could be omitted, a bunch of butter, eggs, and liberal amounts of poultry seasoning and salt. We never measure, but it's important the raw stuffing be very moist and sticky from the broth and eggs. We don't put it in the bird, mostly because we break down the bird and treat white/dark meats separately so they both cook perfectly. Instead we pack it into several earthenware roasters and put them in the oven a couple of hours before service.

Sometimes we forget the butter and it's noticeably less good, so don't do that. I may try using duck fat instead of butter this year, since we've scaled down and it's just the three of us this year. Still got a 20-pound bird, though. I loves me some sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I do not understand stuffing (as evidenced by this forums username). Savory bread pudding I can get behind. But apple and rice??

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bogart posted:

Does anyone have a good stuffing recipe? Ideally, one that doesn't require you to cook it in the turkey because that never works, and even better, a meatless one. (Not out of ethics, so I don't mind eggs or milk or whatever, I just don't like sausage.)

Cornbread dressing is good and what I always do

E: sorry that’s not an actual recipe-I will type it up in the AM

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 22, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My family has a recipe for "filling balls" that has been made at thanksgiving for my entire life that's basically baseball sized wads of bread cubes, celery, onions, and a few eggs baked in the oven so they get a nice crunchy outside but warm, soft innards and for like 15 years I thought this was what filling/stuffing was. They are so goddamn good still warm and cut in half with gravy on.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

sweat poteto posted:

I do not understand stuffing (as evidenced by this forums username). Savory bread pudding I can get behind. But apple and rice??

The tart apple complements the sourdough and savory and the wild rice is a nice texture contrast + nutty flavor.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Apples good rice is a wtf from me though.

Also my username is from a name change thread where I made Thanksgiving stuff that turned out as... well... a pile of brown

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pile of brown posted:

Also my username is from a name change thread where I made Thanksgiving stuff that turned out as... well... a pile of brown

Mine is from that same thread. I told people to make stuffing balls so they’d have more browned crusty bits

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Mine is from that same thread. I told people to make stuffing balls so they’d have more browned crusty bits

Coincidentally, my balls have browned crusty bits too.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

One Christmas a few years ago I unpacked our turkey on Christmas Eve to let the skin dry out a bit and discovered that there were No Giblets!?! I need the drat gibs for the gravy and for moistening the stuffing that's not inside the cavity. Anyway I had to go off on a giblet search of my town on Christmas Eve. Fortunately, Christmas was saved by a small independent family butchers who gave me a bagful for free.

We've gotten the turkey from them ever since - great guys and they've also expanded out to stocking non-traditional items like chicken feet and hearts, because local demographics have changed and that's what people want now, it's great :)

Apple is great in stuffing, particularly if you want a vegetarian/vegan one, it provides flavour and moisture you might otherwise be getting from sausagemeat.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

explosivo posted:

My family has a recipe for "filling balls" that has been made at thanksgiving for my entire life that's basically baseball sized wads of bread cubes, celery, onions, and a few eggs baked in the oven so they get a nice crunchy outside but warm, soft innards and for like 15 years I thought this was what filling/stuffing was. They are so goddamn good still warm and cut in half with gravy on.

For what it's worth stuffing often comes in balls in :britain:. More usually golf ball size though.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

pile of brown posted:

ditto

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

feedmegin posted:

For what it's worth stuffing often comes in balls in :britain:. More usually golf ball size though.

Is this not due to it coming from a store bought tray and being served with an ice cream scoop though?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

therattle posted:

Coincidentally, my balls have browned crusty bits too.

You should really wipe front to back

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

You should really wipe front to back

Why did nobody tell me that before?!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Well otherwise you're just sweeping the dirt back into the kitchen

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So why does front of house complain about dealing with all the poo poo then?

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I want to do a Rosemary and Orange dry brine on my turkey this year. Should I be using fresh spices or dried? Is the application of fresh over dried different?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Is this not due to it coming from a store bought tray and being served with an ice cream scoop though?

Err, nope? Like if you go to a restaurant it'll usually come in balls. If you buy the dry packet stuff it'll tell you both how to do it in a tray or make your own balls. The idea is you get more surface area with the latter and thus more crispiness I think. I would give Very Strange Looks to someone who served me cooked stuffing with an ice cream scoop.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Err, nope? Like if you go to a restaurant it'll usually come in balls. If you buy the dry packet stuff it'll tell you both how to do it in a tray or make your own balls. The idea is you get more surface area with the latter and thus more crispiness I think. I would give Very Strange Looks to someone who served me cooked stuffing with an ice cream scoop.

Me too but I figured it was one of those British post war things where it's unnecessarily bad to remind you you're lucky to have a meal etc.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Yeah, they definitely served it with a scoop when I was having school dinners

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Pretty much what I'm doing this year, only I'm making waffles out of it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Cross post from socially distanced thanksgiving thread:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Somehow while finishing up my ICSA thread, I took what was SUPPOSED TO BE a short break to read GBS that instead became a several-hours-long sidequest to make an animated gif of Danny Glover’s naked lady car from Switchback and upload it to Imgur

Long story short, the gif is made but Imgur refuses to upload it for some inexplicable reason, even though the file size and format are both fine. Something about Imgur can’t convert the file to a compatible format (except it should ALREADY be a compatible format) :wtc:

ADHD is a bitch

(I’m still working on the thread, it’s just taking a bit longer than I expected because I’m having trouble converting my thoughts into coherent sentences...... I think I need to learn how to write better)

EDIT: Might as well farm this out while I’m here, since it’s been giving me a headache all day long. I’m trying to come up with 1 or 2 paragraphs to wrap up my thread intro section, and I’m having trouble thinking of ways to cleanly connect my early-1900s stuff with modern day that make chronological sense. If one of y’all with PMs could help give me some ideas on what to talk about there (over PMs, obv), I’d very much appreciate it!

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 24, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Steve Yun posted:

Cross post from socially distanced thanksgiving thread:

I broke a whole granite countertop by pounding some chicken breasts :(

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So what's the deal with a bunch of recipes that call from bringing the bird to room temp before cooking? Whenever I've seen it declaimed, there's never a reason behind it, just you gotta do this. Wouldn't it take a while for a bird the size of a turkey to come to room temp in a ~68 degree house? Is there any real advantage to having done so in terms of better skin, juicier meat? I've never done so, and I don't know if my family ever has, so I can't directly point to an experience where I've been able to compare.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Carillon posted:

So what's the deal with a bunch of recipes that call from bringing the bird to room temp before cooking? Whenever I've seen it declaimed, there's never a reason behind it, just you gotta do this. Wouldn't it take a while for a bird the size of a turkey to come to room temp in a ~68 degree house? Is there any real advantage to having done so in terms of better skin, juicier meat? I've never done so, and I don't know if my family ever has, so I can't directly point to an experience where I've been able to compare.

I haven't tried with a turkey but I'd think the purpose with any thing is to reduce the temp contrast between the heat source and the rest. Results in more even cooking, lower temp and less cook time required.

Think of it as 68 degree sous vide and the fluid is air.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Right, but it does nothing. Air takes an order of magnitude longer to warm than water (SV) or oil (frying) and heating time depends on temperature difference and 32 fridge --> 65 room is a very low difference.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html but it applies to any thick meat

Now what may help in that case is for the skin to air dry a bit, which reduces evaporative cooling which would impact cooking time and doneness differential. But you can accomplish that aspect by refrigerating uncovered for a day or drying thoroughly with a bunch o paper towels.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I wasn't thinking about steak, although I definitely could still be wrong. Searing a steak does want temperature contrast. The benefit of bringing to room temp would be when you want it cooked more evenly, to a certain temp, without overlooking. Otherwise the parts closer to the heat source will burn before the farther away stuff gets to the right temp.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm saying the % difference concept still applies - from 32°F to 65°F when your ultimate temperature is at least 150°F is 28% of the way there, and it will take an unsafe amount of time to get a turkey to that temperature. For the 15 oz strip Kenji tested, 1 hour 50 minutes only got the internal up to 50°F. I'd assume a turkey would be even worse.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah that was my thought BrianBoitano, I was just curious if there was an UR source for the idea or if there were benefits, thanks for that link.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
My husband just told me he likes stovetop stuffing more than homemade. Should I just oversalt this year's batch or just jump out the window?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Guildenstern Mother posted:

My husband just told me he likes stovetop stuffing more than homemade. Should I just oversalt this year's batch or just jump out the window?

There's no accounting for taste. Do you have windows that open vertically or will you need a contractor to come in to modify them?

e: Are you married married or like engaged?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
They never tell you this poo poo before the ink dries. Maybe it's not too late to go buy some msg.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Made buttery flakey pie crust for the first time. I made so much buttery flakey pie crust that the butter dripped out of the pan and smoked the bell out of my kitchen when the pie went in the oven :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hey folks, there comes a time in every thread's life when it's time to roll over.

New Chat thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3949213