Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

sb hermit posted:

I know this isn’t amazon but if you’re lucky and you live near a Microcenter, they have cheaper boxes of a variety of parts that might work well for hobbyists, including components such as pir sensors, temperature sensors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, and so on.

coconono posted:

+1 for Microcenter. They’re like big box RadioShacks(RIP).

I wish…I live near Memphis, so the closest two MCs near me are 255/294 mile drives. I wish they shipped because of their PC parts & components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Agree. I had a mission critical part fail and the local store didn’t have it but the one near my home office did. :argh:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Hadn't thought about it in some time, but has anybody ever developed a good way to reboot a headless rpi?
Mine might be crashed, but I had setup a script to reboot it if the network connection crashed. Now I am trying to remember what timeout I had set, before deciding whether to power-cycle it by pulling the plug.

And have there been any new developments on how to get a monitor and keyboard attached, except for a ludicrously priced wireless kvm.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 15, 2024

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

VictualSquid posted:

Hadn't thought about it in some time, but has anybody ever developed a good way to reboot a headless rpi?
Mine might be crashed, but I had setup a script to reboot it if the network connection crashed. Now I am trying to remember what timeout I had set, before deciding whether to power-cycle it by pulling the plug.

And have there been any new developments on how to get a monitor and keyboard attached, except for a ludicrously priced wireless kvm.

Buy another pi and a pikvm kit and attach it to your other headless pi lol

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can jump two of the GPIO pins to force a shutdown/boot of a pi, defaults to pins 5 and 6 but it can be reconfigured in config.txt. Or do it neatly and solder a button to those pins so you can shutdown the pi whenever you want.

https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/77905/raspberry-pi-3-model-b-dtoverlay-gpio-shutdown/77918#77918

I'm not completely clear what this does if the system is hard locked though. A hard reset can be done by messing with the global_en pin.. never done it, no advice on it. But it's out there.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SamDabbers posted:

Buy another pi and a pikvm kit and attach it to your other headless pi lol

That's a good idea, but then you want another one in case that one locks up. Some kind of PiKVM pi rebooter. I think with a few hundred bucks in Pis we can solve this problem.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Is there some simple circuit you could hook up to the GPIO pins to implement a watchdog? Like maybe a countdown timer that gets reset with a GPIO toggle, but if not reset, shorts the reboot pins?

The idea is you write a 1 to a pin every 20ms or whatever, and if the watchdog goes 400ms (or whatever) without a reset, then it turns a pin high to reset the main computer.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Rexxed posted:

That's a good idea, but then you want another one in case that one locks up. Some kind of PiKVM pi rebooter. I think with a few hundred bucks in Pis we can solve this problem.

It's pis all the way down.

But maybe you're onto something here. What if the first headless pi is wired up to reboot the pikvm pi rebooter pi like some sort of piroboros eating its tail?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

VictualSquid posted:

You can try looking into using a hardware watchdog which should come with most rpis.

The nice thing about the watchdog is that it reacts when there is no activity. As in, if no one checks in with the watchdog, the watchdog reboots the machine. This works better than a process that reboots if it doesn’t detect a connection, since there is no recourse if the process crashes or otherwise is unresponsive (save for rebooting manually).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

sb hermit posted:

You can try looking into using a hardware watchdog which should come with most rpis.

The nice thing about the watchdog is that it reacts when there is no activity. As in, if no one checks in with the watchdog, the watchdog reboots the machine. This works better than a process that reboots if it doesn’t detect a connection, since there is no recourse if the process crashes or otherwise is unresponsive (save for rebooting manually).

Oh is there one already built-in to the hardware? LOL, nevermind my previous post, then.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

sb hermit posted:

I know this isn’t amazon but if you’re lucky and you live near a Microcenter, they have cheaper boxes of a variety of parts that might work well for hobbyists, including components such as pir sensors, temperature sensors, resistors, capacitors, diodes, and so on.

Also, I find that sometimes an item will be on ebay for cheap and will include free shipping. So if you need a cheap $3 part and don’t want to pay another $3 to ship it, ebay might work in a pinch.

Do they now? What is it called/listed under? We have one opening next month and that’s a good excuse as any.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Warbird posted:

Do they now? What is it called/listed under? We have one opening next month and that’s a good excuse as any.

Depends on what you need, but they have variety packs of various things

electrolytic capacitors

https://www.microcenter.com/product/632685/inland-047uf-1000uf-electrolytic-capacitors-assortment-kit-13-values-200-pcs

ceramic capacitors

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-values-550-pcs

resistors

https://www.microcenter.com/product/618897/inland-1-4-watt-1-resistors-480-pack

also diodes, breadboards, and they usually have raspberry pi in stock

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

sb hermit posted:

also diodes, breadboards, and they usually have raspberry pi in stock
Oh no, this has made it to electronics? I saw 4 deer in my backyard and I have 8 Raspberry Pi.

I'll stick with my Raspberry Pi's tyvm :colbert:

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

eightysixed posted:

my Raspberry Pi's tyvm :colbert:

Your Raspberry Pi's what?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

One Legged Ninja posted:

Your Raspberry Pi's what?

I saw that coming a mile away, but didn’t feel like editing :effort:

But to answer your question - “working”

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

Oh is there one already built-in to the hardware? LOL, nevermind my previous post, then.

whoa this is awesome!

https://diode.io/blog/running-forever-with-the-raspberry-pi-hardware-watchdog

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I put Raspberry Pi OS on my x86_64 Intel laptop from ~2011ish. It’s got a 128Gb SATA SSD, and 8Gb of RAM, that had been used as a ghetto NAS with a few Tb of old spinner-platter HDDs connected via SATA>>USB cables stacked on my dad’s old piano. It had been running the free version of TrueNAS Core.

Now it’s a simple Pi-Hole, from the downloads and instructions from pi-hole.net. Since that was all the laptop was going to be used for (plus 60Gb of old ripped CD mp3s and a backup of my Kindle/ePub collection), I just used the curl | bash script directly from the official website…I think I had the whole thing up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Now I can use my surplus-from-my-BiLaw Pi 0w and Arduino nano(s) to make an oscilloscope for a fun project as I break out my multimeter and soldering iron. I’m brushing up on basic electronics from an online learning platform, and I’m having the time of my life working and (re)learning . I have an old 1st gen 15” square flat panel Sony monitor (still has a VGA connection as the only interface) that I’m thinking of using for the future oscilloscope screen. I do have an HDMI>>VGA cord, and I know the Pi 0w has a (mini?)HDMI out. Hopefully I can find some components knocking around various drawers/online ordering to make the thing work, as there are Instructables and official blogs doing just that!

I didn’t really have any reason for posting other than being excited about future projects and drinking a cappuccino at 11:30 on a Monday night :downswords:. I might X-post this in the general Linux thread, because I’m still definitely a n00b enough with the Pi/PiOS ecosystem that I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of questions as I go. My hope is that I can get beyond simply “following a recipe”-type work and actually understand what I’m doing as I go along.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DerekSmartymans posted:

I put Raspberry Pi OS on my x86_64 Intel laptop from ~2011ish. It’s got a 128Gb SATA SSD, and 8Gb of RAM, that had been used as a ghetto NAS with a few Tb of old spinner-platter HDDs connected via SATA>>USB cables stacked on my dad’s old piano. It had been running the free version of TrueNAS Core.

Now it’s a simple Pi-Hole, from the downloads and instructions from pi-hole.net. Since that was all the laptop was going to be used for (plus 60Gb of old ripped CD mp3s and a backup of my Kindle/ePub collection), I just used the curl | bash script directly from the official website…I think I had the whole thing up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Now I can use my surplus-from-my-BiLaw Pi 0w and Arduino nano(s) to make an oscilloscope for a fun project as I break out my multimeter and soldering iron. I’m brushing up on basic electronics from an online learning platform, and I’m having the time of my life working and (re)learning . I have an old 1st gen 15” square flat panel Sony monitor (still has a VGA connection as the only interface) that I’m thinking of using for the future oscilloscope screen. I do have an HDMI>>VGA cord, and I know the Pi 0w has a (mini?)HDMI out. Hopefully I can find some components knocking around various drawers/online ordering to make the thing work, as there are Instructables and official blogs doing just that!

I didn’t really have any reason for posting other than being excited about future projects and drinking a cappuccino at 11:30 on a Monday night :downswords:. I might X-post this in the general Linux thread, because I’m still definitely a n00b enough with the Pi/PiOS ecosystem that I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of questions as I go. My hope is that I can get beyond simply “following a recipe”-type work and actually understand what I’m doing as I go along.

Sounds like fun! I’d love to hear more about it in this thread when you make progress.

It hasn’t ever really occurred to me that arduinos and rpi devices could be repurposed into an oscilloscope… I should probably look into that, particularly because of the pio capabilities of the pi nano.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

sb hermit posted:

Sounds like fun! I’d love to hear more about it in this thread when you make progress.

It hasn’t ever really occurred to me that arduinos and rpi devices could be repurposed into an oscilloscope… I should probably look into that, particularly because of the pio capabilities of the pi nano.

Yeah, preliminary “research” (read: looking at websites :allears:) says that both Pi’s and Arduinos can do it, but because of the signaling lag they can’t poll a lot of Hz. They won’t replace a good cheap-to-expensive model and function generator, but they will def do it at a basic level.

I also saw this:

:chanpop:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
That’s pretty cool. I still have a couple of old crts in some equipment that’s was used to tune NTSC video signals (I can’t remember the exact name of the instruments right now). I had wanted to repurpose the crts into clocks or just have them draw stuff in x-y mode. But they’re just sitting there at the moment and I’m not sure I’ll have the time anytime soon.

Question for the thread: I won a replacement lcd screen for a LG VK810 tablet… it was a dollar and came with tools for the replacement which made it worth it just for that. But I’m wondering how hard it would be to interface with the screen via a pi?
I know the correct answer is to find/read the datasheet for the screen and go from there, but I figured I’d ask if anyone has any idea whether these things usually use I2C or some other standard interface? Barring that, any good resources to find a datasheet for this thing?

Good luck on your project man!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Don’t have microcenter here but digikey.com is my go to for electronic parts. I think they have student kits etc too, they have just an unbelievable amount of stuff. And their shipping is so fast it honestly blows my mind sometimes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

DerekSmartymans posted:

I also saw this:

:eyepop:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The issue with digikey is their shipping fees are really high. You gotta make sure to order a bunch of stuff at once or you end up spending $15 on a couple resistors.

Fine if you actually need a lot of stuff but if you're a hobbyist doing a small project it makes it frustrating to get a few things you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

plus it took me two clicks to find crypto mining scam stuff.