Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
My polish is not good enough to read the books, and (given that it's polish) probably never will be. I read Blood of Elves in english though and I merely thought it was decent. But polish speakers I respect insist that these books are amazing in polish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor
For some reason the Witcher games are very popular among some female gamers I know and the woman conducting the interview I posted 2 posts back is also a huge fangirl.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Geralt is hot, apparently.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Palpek posted:

It's really hard to me to compare the Witcher books with Game of Thrones because the Witcher series is written in such a specific meaty style and plays with the Polish language so much that it's basically untranslatable while being a major part of the appeal. GoT is written fairly normally in comparison.

For example Dandelion is such a hilarious character in the books mainly due to the language used to describe his actions and loses most of his humor when you simply show the guy in the game and make him tell jokes.

Can we have an overly detailed example that horribly dissects the joke? Im fascinated by puns in languages I don't speak.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Original:
"Zabawa i towarzystwo zaczęły pełnić rolę absolutnie drugorzędną. Zauważyłem, że mogę się bez nich obyć. Wystarczająca i naprawdę ważna stała się krew, nawet pita…
– Do lustra? – wtrącił Jaskier.
– Gorzej – odrzekł spokojnie Regis. – Ja nie odbijam się w lustrach."

Translation:
"Later," Regis went on, "I started developing alarming symptoms. The fun and companionship started to play a secondary role. I noticed that I could do without them. What became important to me was just the blood."
-Did you feel too bad to look in the mirror? - Dandelion asked.
- I don't reflect in mirrors - Regis said calmly"

Polish version has a play of words "to drink to a mirror" which means to drink alone, with only your reflection in mirror as an companion. In english you only get one of two meanings of this word play - to be ashamed to look in your reflection as you're filthy blood drunkard. I cannot find any other worthy quick quotes..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697049

• Locked thread