Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Carotid posted:

Any recommendations for making good quality prints of physical art? I've scanned some original paintings that I want to make some prints of. Initially just a small number of prints but I'm considering selling at some point too.

Disclaimer: these are US based, save Vograce, which is Chinese.

I use Fireball Printing for my prints. You'll need to have a cmyk .pdf or similar for it, and they do give you a proof on request. I suggest going for the proof, since you're working off scans of traditional media, and getting the colors true may take some adjusting. They have a lot of nice paper options and are quite fast- I've never had a single issue with their quality, and they give you fireball candies in your package, which is cute.

Catprint also exists, but I've heard mixed things regarding them, and Vistaprint is an option for a lot of bigger stuff, but they're honestly not for the fine artist, mostly focused on banners, business cards and customized swag for things like company picnics.

I think Vograce also does prints now, but they're really mostly a merch company for artists doing the con circuit, creating custom keychains and the like. They're also in China, while the rest of the options here are in the US, so it's less worth it unless you want to put your paintings on stuff like sketchbooks- which is a cool idea, don't get me wrong.

Sorry, I'm tired and so my adhd is Active and I'm just going to spit all the info at you at once. Peace be with thee, goon friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Also, there are a surprising amount of local printers in the world. I live in a rinky dink lil town, and just found a little print shop less than 5 minutes away.

When I break down the shipping cost, the local place turns out better on some things than online shops, tbh. Plus, it's nice to be able to meet the people handling your stuff and actually know you'll get a person if you need one, rather than some useless chatbot.

I do suggest looking local first, since you'll be able to go down and actually talk about what's possible and not have to wait for the mail if you want proofs and stuff.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Carotid posted:

Any recommendations for making good quality prints of physical art? I've scanned some original paintings that I want to make some prints of. Initially just a small number of prints but I'm considering selling at some point too.

I would also suggest finding a local print shop, if only because of the ability to look at and feel the paper they have to print on. Sometimes things look better on a thicker or differently toned paper and being able to ask for a bunch of different test prints and adjust on the fly is really invaluable.

HanzoSchmanzo
Apr 11, 2011

DicktheCat posted:

Also, there are a surprising amount of local printers in the world. I live in a rinky dink lil town, and just found a little print shop less than 5 minutes away.

When I break down the shipping cost, the local place turns out better on some things than online shops, tbh. Plus, it's nice to be able to meet the people handling your stuff and actually know you'll get a person if you need one, rather than some useless chatbot.

I do suggest looking local first, since you'll be able to go down and actually talk about what's possible and not have to wait for the mail if you want proofs and stuff.

Chip McFuck posted:

I would also suggest finding a local print shop, if only because of the ability to look at and feel the paper they have to print on. Sometimes things look better on a thicker or differently toned paper and being able to ask for a bunch of different test prints and adjust on the fly is really invaluable.

For the love of God, please call, or email, and make sure it's fine to drop by first.

Used to work at a specialty comics printer, and the owners (and everyone else there) hated it when customers would "just drop by".
Everything in the office grinds to a halt, and the already limited staff have to smile and nod at said customer's questions, until they graciously decide to leave, ultimately having accomplished nothing.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

HanzoSchmanzo posted:

For the love of God, please call, or email, and make sure it's fine to drop by first.

Used to work at a specialty comics printer, and the owners (and everyone else there) hated it when customers would "just drop by".
Everything in the office grinds to a halt, and the already limited staff have to smile and nod at said customer's questions, until they graciously decide to leave, ultimately having accomplished nothing.

This is a good point that I didn't think of.

The printer in my local area is geared towards a lot of general stuff, to the point that they have flyers to peruse while making decisions, but I imagine the above scenario happens just as much, so finding out how they work first is a good idea.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm looking for a tool that I assume probably exists but I really don't know where to look outside of like, sketchup which I haven't used in eons and I'm not sure is good for what I am looking for.

Basically I've been wanting to work on a comic book idea I have been kicking around in my head for a long time, but I want it to be pretty dynamic visually, and I worry that my sometimes limited ability when it comes to perspective would hold it back. What I'd like to do is find a 3D modeling program where I can just make very basic models of characters and backgrounds, so I can essentially take snapshots and use them as references. Something that would allow me to pose and move stuff around easily would be great. The more user friendly and cheap/free the better. I have very little experience doing 3d modeling. I don't need anything that advanced. I basically just want to be able to make a rough framework for something so I can fill out the details by hand. I just want something to remove the guesswork with perspective and lighting.

If anyone has any recs, or even a better idea for how to accomplish this I'd appreciate it.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
You can do this using Blender and I would recommend spending some time learning to use it in general. Clip Studio also supports simple 3D models and backgrounds.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you are right that I need to learn blender but my god it's intimidating. I've been trying and the learning curve feels insane.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I think you are right that I need to learn blender but my god it's intimidating. I've been trying and the learning curve feels insane.

It's really not so intimidating once you get your bearing. It's surprisingly more logical and natural and well built than basically every other professional art software I've ever used in my life or career. That said, unlike every other software I've ever used you can't really just open it up and start clicking around and get poo poo to happen, which is why you're hitting that learning curve. The first step is a little flat wall that once you get over you're essentially just choosing which scenic route you wanna take.

I recommend the donut tutorials by Blender Guru for getting over that initial step, set some time aside and just follow the tutorials and it'll give you the base to use the program and start figuring out how to use it to make what you need. One of my primary uses it's exactly as you're wanting, I set up little blocked out scenes with basic shapes and figures to help me skip tedious perspective line drawing steps in illustrations. But it's also a really fun tool with a 'give a mouse a cookie" aspect where as soon as you learn one thing you realize it unlocks the potential to do other things.

The hardest part of blender is just learning the initial controls and shortcuts and where something's are that do the intuitive thing you want while modeling, because they are almost always there you just gotta know to look and how. The blender guru tutorials really do a great job getting some of that initial muscle memory and tool usage and making it feel second nature. My first time opening it I couldn't even handle trying to manipulate the default cube but now I find myself wishing my other tools had blender-like functionality. Give Illustrator to Blender for a year and they'd probably fix 80% of my decades old problems with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the Blender Guru Donut tutorials is what I was working off of. Very helpful and well thought out, but the problem with using Youtube videos for something like that is that after a few hours I hosed something up and had no idea why it was hosed up or what to do to fix it, ultimately making it so I couldn't continue after working on my donut for a few hours. Was probably something that would have taken two seconds to fix for someone who knew what they were doing but to me it might as well have been quantum physics lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha, yeah I remember I had a similar experience at some points. It was a couple years ago so the YouTube comments system was a little better and a lot of my issues were handily resolved by others working it out in the comments. It's hardest to look up problems when you don't know what things are called. Took me several nights and much longer than the video themselves but once it all finally clicked it there was no turning back.

I also kept his shortcut thing open while I was learning. It's really a program you'll want to be navigating quickly rather than clicking around for every little thing. Being able to quickly just move or expand things on a specific axis and such is important.

I had a newer version than the tutorial he had at the time so I doubly leaned on people being like "btw that thing is actually over there now" or whatever.

Some nice folks in BYOB Blender thread (and later in the BYOB discord blender chat) also helped me out after when I was trying to make my own stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Are there any recommended resources for Illustrator templates that are free, or close to it? I thought this sort of thing was included in my Adobe license, but this no longer appears to be the case. As a musician who needs to create 10-20 posters a year, the spend doesn't really make a ton of sense for me to up my license through them.

There are some great sounding links in the OP but some of them are dead.