Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Potential BFF posted:

I just accrued enough supply for a free commander and I went with Elite Troops since I am short on good vanilla Wehr doctrines. Holy poo poo that Tiger Ace :stwoon:

Elite troops is a decent doctrine, the fuel-less tiger ace can turn a match around but the stun grenades are what's really broken. They will un-setup weapon crews and lock out infantry from retreating, whether you stun them on the retreat or catch out an inattentive opponent.

I feel the tiger ace can turn into a liability you're unable to kill off all their tanks. The TA stretching the match into a slow defeat is a very real problem with the state of the balance.

Most SU players will have a mark target doctrine. UKF can stave off manpower bleed with sappers and slowly accumulate comets. Their anti tank gun also has +50% accuracy over the PaK gun so it can hit the tank during blitz. FInally a USF player can use jacksons to deter the TA until they get a pershing or bleed your manpower with a calliope and win by VP.

Lightning war doesn't have that problem, it's a really strong choice. Relief infantry can really help with maintaining map control as wehr.

Mordja posted:

Must be nice. I just keep getting T-70 skins.

Years from now, when I finally earn enough supply to afford a commander, should I go with the KV-2 or a SU-152 one? Plz advise.

Fake edit: Does the campaign level up your war spoils? Might actually play it if so...

The KV2 has too much scatter to be reliable, SU doesn't really have an issue in the anti-infantry department with maxim spam for that matter. It is hilarious using soviet industry if the opponent loses their scavenge doc OKW Ostwind or command P4 and you clown around their base with a KV8 toasting everything.

The last major patch buffed SU-85s to be excellent heavy armour killers but the ISU-152 is still good. It's a little on the hit or miss side but it can one shot entire squads with HE if they're clumped up in cover.

It benefits from being in a fantastic doctrine too, Mechanised support covers every base: Guards, mark target, ISU-152, bombing run and AT gun camouflage. AT gun camo can be situational but it's neat when you bait the enemy into rushing your turretless ISU-152 right into the covering arc of AT guns (a nice habit to do anyway).

I haven't touched the campaign as it looked terribly cringeworthy from videos but automatch comp stomp and custom matches give war spoils.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Delacroix posted:

Mechanised support covers every base: Guards, mark target, ISU-152, bombing run and AT gun camouflage

Jesus, it's like a Jo Stalin's Greatest Hits collection.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Delacroix posted:

I feel the tiger ace can turn into a liability you're unable to kill off all their tanks. The TA stretching the match into a slow defeat is a very real problem with the state of the balance.

It is definitely a do or die call in. What is your opinion on Stormtroopers? I've been kitting them out with a shrek and the G43 package and they seem to do good work.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Potential BFF posted:

It is definitely a do or die call in. What is your opinion on Stormtroopers? I've been kitting them out with a shrek and the G43 package and they seem to do good work.

Many of the meta units are highly cost-effective (like the 222), deadly (T70) or force a reaction the moment they appear (T34/Cromwell rush). BAR vet rifles or flamer sappers will give them trouble. The early-midgame competition are degrees of overpowered or underpriced.

Their versatility won't always cut it in a light vehicle meta where double shreck pgrens in tandem to PaKs are a necessity. G43+shreck can complement other units but alone it will struggle to win a trade or scare off a tank. Stormtroopers provide harassment and some utility but partisans are plain better at their role, appearing already upgraded with a snare.

If they could plant mines with the AT package or had cheaper MP44s, it would be a different story.

Are they a better investment than double shreck pgrens or an early Stug? If you wipe a weapon crew when they first pop out or keep a corner VP/enemy fuel locked down, possibly. However the level of micro and situational awareness to keep them alive close up or against tanks has a highly variable payoff.

Ultimately stormtroopers suffer the same problems as pgrens and falls. Alive one moment, gone in another. The mortar emplacement/USF mortar are a real menace to small squads.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
What's the general Soviet reaction to light/early-medium tanks? Guards can pull some weight but I really miss having reliable infantry AT like the US and (sort of) UK get, and 76s can be a bit hit-or-miss in their use.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SU-76. The damage isn't incredible but it's range is absolutely enormous.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Nickiepoo posted:

What's the general Soviet reaction to light/early-medium tanks? Guards can pull some weight but I really miss having reliable infantry AT like the US and (sort of) UK get, and 76s can be a bit hit-or-miss in their use.

Combined arms. Mines or cons (you only need one or two) followed up by ZiS gun/Su-76, supplemented with guards if necessary. Good usage of AT partisans are enough to kill a Luchs outright but they're just as unfair against Wehr. Soviets float enough munitions that they really want to utilise mines and demo charges. Either they blob around their sweeper team and lose map control or they take losses.

Maxims are highly effective against OKW too so it's entirely plausible you can stall their tanks long enough to get T4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, I really need to make better use of mines in general and the Soviets are probably the best allied nation to do that with.

• Locked thread