Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whistle talk: I use a pearl 40 for small sided games. It is a lot quieter than the regular 40 whistles. And you don't need to be loud on the smaller fields.
For full sized games I have three different sounding whistles in case I am working on one of the many multi pitch fields they have out here on the island.

The main league our association works for has decided to go full cash-on-field, instead of getting a check at the end of the season.
I don't think it is a good idea. Mainly due to never having enough time to check in teams properly as is without running late. Now we got to count and distribute money three ways. And the league always cried they didn't get reports on time. If they thought they didn't get reports on time when at least they had the leverage of not paying, not sure what they will say come summer break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I moved cities but still with the same National Assignor, I'm doing young DA games (for the first time) and regional league games, I passed my fitness test, doing 1-2 solo adult or HS games every night. Life is crazy. I hope I get to travel to events this summer.

Something I learned: Don't show off during the Interval Fitness Test. People might get angry. Instead, show off in the sprints and be that team player who motivates the interval group.

Lladre posted:

The main league our association works for has decided to go full cash-on-field, instead of getting a check at the end of the season.
I don't think it is a good idea. Mainly due to never having enough time to check in teams properly as is without running late. Now we got to count and distribute money three ways. And the league always cried they didn't get reports on time. If they thought they didn't get reports on time when at least they had the leverage of not paying, not sure what they will say come summer break.

Lol about the game reports. Anywhere I've been, paperwork would never get done without the threat of withholding payment.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 8, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Threes been a referee organization coup attempt out here on the island.

It's getting quickly smothered since you have to be a certain special type of stupid to want to assign the thousands of games every weekend that go on during the season.

Also yeah, RIP paperwork.

Strenots
Jun 21, 2005

'Course it's a good idea!

Well, I've lost my mind and signed up for Grade 8. Haven't reffed since high school, about 16 years, so this should be a fun adventure.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
It's like riding a bike, good luck! Post some stories in this thread.

I'm solidly doing some sort of DA nearly every weekend and have been chosen for some top level amateur games (5th tier of US soccer). I hope to be a State Referee by this fall. Which is funny, because I said that 2 years ago and had no idea what I was in for.

Also I've been doing HS and adult games during the week. About 2 games per day on average, for the last couple months. IT'S HARD.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah like Bio said it's going to be fine. besides they usually start you off with soft games so you can get into the swing of things. And then ramp you up if you can handle it over time.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

edit: I'd also just like to be a miserable bastard and point out that there are a few players washing around in unaffiliated leagues who play there because they're serving multiple-year bans from the governing body for acts of vicious thuggery. Caveat arbiter!

oliwan posted:

why the gently caress do you have all of this official referee stuff in the USA? I played football in Sunday leagues al my life in Holland and Germany, and we always just had a guy reluctantly being the referee, or a dad. You don't get an actual ref until you are way high up the pyramid.

Have you ever been to Hackney Marshes in England on Sunday morning? It will blow your mind.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Around here those unaffiliated leagues are assigned from a different site. So it's easy to set yourself as not assignable from them.
They do pay like 20% better but the hassle is not worth it.

• Locked thread