Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm never letting this thread die.

Two projects I've finished, well. Three but these two are the ones I like.

Trailer for my book, because why not have more than one hobby that promises no revenue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kOOloBEAE

And I finished the Crossthreaded video, not just the intro but a lot of the overlaying graphics, audio wrangling, and color fauxrection. I wouldn't call it color correction. More like color awareness.

He posted it yesterday, we're already up to 600+ views and 100 subs, which blows my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzznqxIiqa0

Okay and then finally my third one, the total corporate explainer video. This was the one I was asking about on this thread a few months ago, trying to figure out how to talk to my clients regarding painful scripts, bloated concepts, etc. The result turned out well, thanks in part to the advice from on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAfQiOe1pBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
After Effects question:

I have a 2d geometric cartoon nose that I want to do a faux-3d transform on, like so:

I did this in Spine, but I'm looking to replicate the effect in AE. Basically, in Spine, you can create your own mesh and define where the vertices go, but AE doesn't appear to have this ability. I thought I might be able to add some puppet pins and reduce the triangles to such a small amount that it gave basically the same effect, but the triangles are too random for that to work. What I'm looking for (but which doesn't appear to exist) is a plugin that lets me create a distortion mesh where I define the vertex placement. Any takers?

If not, I'm interested to know how other people might replicate this in After Effects.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Is it an option to use Cinema 4D Lite and do it in real 3D? The geometry and texturing are simple enough that it should be easy to match the movement and lighting in C4D.

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!
dumb question for motion designers: my job is giving me the option of going to Siggraph this year, since I missed the NAB conference. Is it worth the cross-country trip as a mere motion graphics guy for a cable network?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Electric Crayon posted:

dumb question for motion designers: my job is giving me the option of going to Siggraph this year, since I missed the NAB conference. Is it worth the cross-country trip as a mere motion graphics guy for a cable network?

Is your job paying for it? Then yes.

DaveP
Apr 25, 2011

raging bullwinkle posted:

After Effects question:

I have a 2d geometric cartoon nose that I want to do a faux-3d transform on, like so:

I did this in Spine, but I'm looking to replicate the effect in AE. Basically, in Spine, you can create your own mesh and define where the vertices go, but AE doesn't appear to have this ability. I thought I might be able to add some puppet pins and reduce the triangles to such a small amount that it gave basically the same effect, but the triangles are too random for that to work. What I'm looking for (but which doesn't appear to exist) is a plugin that lets me create a distortion mesh where I define the vertex placement. Any takers?

If not, I'm interested to know how other people might replicate this in After Effects.

Recent plugin Joysticks and Sliders ( http://aescripts.com/joystick-n-sliders/ ) is perfect for this kind of faux 3d face rigging. Make 4 poses at each of the extents of your nose motion, then rig them using a joystick

DaveP fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

Cyne posted:

Is it an option to use Cinema 4D Lite and do it in real 3D? The geometry and texturing are simple enough that it should be easy to match the movement and lighting in C4D.

To be honest I forgot this even existed. I tried it briefly but it seemed very slow to update in AE, which was a turn-off. Thanks for reminding me about it though.

DaveP posted:

Recent plugin Joysticks and Sliders ( http://aescripts.com/joystick-n-sliders/ ) is perfect for this kind of faux 3d face rigging. Make 4 poses at each of the extents of your nose motion, then rig them using a joystick

This looks cool. I actually saw it on aescripts the other day but didn't realize that it could do mask paths etc. I'm curious to see how well it does with something like the nose where all the faces need to remain touching.

For anyone who cares I ended up using 3D layers and rotated/scaled them until they looked right. And then I abandoned the whole thing because it wasn't looking very good and I abandon stuff easily.

WIP

raging bullwinkle fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 21, 2016

• Locked thread