Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They have similar, but different problems. It's way harder to get permanent gear in Only War (Normally, through the logistics system, anyway - you can get some extremely powerful gear just by switching specialities,) but exceedingly easy in Rogue Trader. On the other hand, it's way easier to get powerful talents and increase your characteristics in Only War because it doesn't use a rank system, where things are only gated by experience cost.
The thing I believe was the biggest mistake is that 2500 experience is too low of a milestone - you can very easily begin accelerating into overpowered poo poo too quickly because of it. If it was, say, 4000 experience (Also a nice round number, given that it's 10 average sessions of the game,) the power curve would smooth out a bit.

I'm still convinced that Only War is, mechanically, the most well-made system out of the FFG 40k RPGs. It's just hilariously unbalanced, just like all the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hmm. Do you guys feel that in general OW and RT can generate overpowered player characters too quickly?

Is it too easy to acquire the best gear in both systems?

There are three game lines in the 40k franchise that are all about being stupidly powerful, to the point where there is no such thing as "overpowered-" Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Black Crusade. In the former, you're space conquistadors with at least one spaceborn city and literal armies at your command, acting with the authority of the God Emperor. In Deathwatch, you're a superhuman killing machine selected to be part of an Inquisitorial super-superhuman team because you're so awesome. In Black Crusade, your goal is ascension to daemonhood slightly faster than your coworkers, likely while heading up a literal Black Crusade.

I guess they just forgot how to put the brakes on for Only War.

Lateinshowing
Oct 10, 2012
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hmm. Do you guys feel that in general OW and RT can generate overpowered player characters too quickly?

Is it too easy to acquire the best gear in both systems?

Agreeing with apostate here. I don't mind Rogue Trader being silly and broke and it being easy to acquire most items. Hell, a lot of the FUN is in all of the various toys one can acquire. You're not supermen at first.... but you certainly don't have many restrictions when it comes to 'acquiring' objects of your desire if you put your mind to it. Only thing RT could use is a rebalanced of some of the rarer items... either less rare for some of them, or more rare for others.

And don't get me wrong... I LIKE Only War. It's a solid system that meshes mechanically well. But looking at it compared to many of the other systems, certain classes can get really, really strong because they don't need to wait to get some of stronger abilities. And the mile stone being at ever 2.5k xp didn't help since it, in general, wasn't the base classes that were broken. The Ogryn was stupid strong and tough... but he was forced to close in since he was limited to very few weapons. The Ratling was strong at range, but he is cripplingly reliant on his companion to keep up the large amounts of damage and was relatively easy to knock out of the fight with normal weapons. The tech-priest.... well, if they didn't build themselves to be silly, they weren't broke out of the box.... but they could be.

It's just that after you switched specialties that everybody exploded... apostate's murder priest, my Rat Pack adding +35 to hit, +3 to damage, and no dodging every round, Ygmir's ability to one-hand any basic weapon... everyone who had access to specialties just kept going up. And anybody who didn't, like Dicktron and Forever, they weren't uncompetitive, but they certainly didn't have the growth potential that everyone else did.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So you guys know I can't make it this week, best of luck!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The Shadowrun thread is up!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680134

• Locked thread