Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hello everyone! You may remember that last time we took care to obtain the ultimate weapons for all of our characters. That did require us to participate in a few fairly tough boss fights.

Turns out, we can also do a few side quests to obtain our characters' ultimate armour. These boss fights are in fact not quite as hard, due in part to the fact that because of previous fights, our characters are somewhat overleveled for them now (for the record they are all at around lv. 160-180).

Another difference is that these fights feature lots of funny dialogue; but I do have to warn you, Piu-Piu perv levels in this update are DEFCON 1. So you've been warned!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. All of the fights in this set are 1-on-1, i.e. you fight all bosses with just one character whose choice is fixed (you can't choose yourself). Yes, that means we have to use Conor once, sorry.

Well, let's get going. First up is Darwin and his fight is a repeat against Neron, but Neron is now on a higher level, that's all.

I have actually equipped Darwin with Marie's Sopia so he'd have access to healing spells, but honestly I didn't even really need them.

Like in the original fight, he doesn't really hit that hard.

We can really simply pound on him, there is nothing more to this one really.

He does still have this particular attack, but we can simply defend and be done.

Ok then.

And here is our new armour. As always, the "ultimate" items are marked in different colour.

For our second fight, we get quite an interesting one, between Orlando and Li Hua (we control Orlando). Let's see what this is all about.

I mean, how bad can it be?

Oh.

So this fight is kind of annoying, because...

...she does this in almost every turn. She also attacks twice per turn, so normally she will attack (which hurts) and then put up a block.

So generally we'll be using item-based attacks here. Anything else (like Sacrifice) is probably too dangerous because of her high damage. This makes the fight a little harder than you would imagine it would be.

She will even use her limit breaks too.

But just make sure to equip Sopia which gives you Double Healing skill (all healing items and spells heal for double the normal amount) and you should be fine for the most part.

There is really nothing than can be said as comment to these.

Anyway, Orlando gets nicely outfitted finally.

The next four fights are against (sigh) the stronger versions of Four Horsemen, but they are good because we get an extra reward at the end of these. First up is Marie vs. Death and as you can imagine, with Marie's overpowered healing spells and offensive magic, this is pretty much a cakewalk.

The tactic here is good old spell counters. What else?

And for good measure...

...Marie's limit break.

Looks like that this dialogue was probably difficult to translate from Japanese as I suspect the "Miss Marie" joke is based around honorific usage, but the game allows only one save slot so I have no easy way to go back and check. But I do like that the joke from Final Fantasy IV (and others I think) where you could visit a secret are called Developer's Room lives on here!

The first reward is one of the four Horsemen Sopias, and they have some quite nice skills on them. Using the Panda method described in last update, you can fully level them up in just a few minutes, because in addition to loads of EXP, pandas also give loads of SP (and you can further increase it with items and skills as always)!

And then the normal prize, Marie's ultimate armour.

Next one is Araki vs. War. Based on what you've seen so far of Araki's skills, you can guess that this one is easy too. Also, I'm not dwelling too much on these, since Horsemen don't really have any new/interesting attacks that they didn't have before.

As you can imagine, to win this one, we'll be spamming Empathy attack.

Aaand, that's another one done.

Yeah, sorry, we do have to use Conor in this one. Even severely overlevelled, his damage output is questionable at best.

Not to mention, this guy has the ability to block our skills in addition to being able to cast blind. So that makes it difficult to use normal attacks.

So we'll just keep using elemental attack items that correspond to his current weakness and heal in between. It's a pretty annoying fight as it lasts longer than it should, but oh well...

Unfortunately, this is not the last sidequest where we are forced to use Conor.

And finally, Li Hua fights Conquest.

Li Hua has decent damage output and good defence, so it's probably easiest to just keep pounding on this guy.

He can also stop us from using items, spells or even regular attacks, but somehow in this fight it's not so much of an issue. I think a bit of a problem with Conor is because he does not have any offensive Limit Breaks.

Like I said, no comment.

Well, that's all four horsemen done then.

Last one is Lessica vs. Herald.

This guy likes his elemental spells, so you can try a fun strategy. Instead of attacking just cast Mental Wall (which, despite its description actually works like Reflect in Final Fantasy--not only will it negate the damage, it will also reflect it to the caster!).

Like so.

He has this annoying spell that you need to be a bit careful about, but otherwise, not a huge problem.

Did I not tell you at the very beginning that Lessica is awesome?

And that's all of the characters done.

There is a few more quests to be done (and these have particularly funny dialogue in them, so well worth doing), which we will cover in the next part and then it's finally onto the last ending of this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Connor's problem is that his Sopia is trash. The Brand skills function like element-changing items with mediocre damage, and the rest of his skills are meant for support (increases chance for a pre-emptive attack and one other I forget).
He does have a skill which extends status effect duration by one turn, so maybe he was like supposed to be the party debuffer? But that situational to the point of uselessness.
And yes, his limit breaks are flatly unimpressive.

Li Hua also has similar problems, but her skills do have their niche and her limit breaks are solid. Her ultimate weapon also gives her armor-piercing which further helps her out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Connor's problem is that his Sopia is trash. The Brand skills function like element-changing items with mediocre damage, and the rest of his skills are meant for support (increases chance for a pre-emptive attack and one other I forget).
He does have a skill which extends status effect duration by one turn, so maybe he was like supposed to be the party debuffer? But that situational to the point of uselessness.
And yes, his limit breaks are flatly unimpressive.

Li Hua also has similar problems, but her skills do have their niche and her limit breaks are solid. Her ultimate weapon also gives her armor-piercing which further helps her out.

This sums it up quite well, yes.

Quite literally, outside of times that you are forced to, there is absolutely no reason to use Conor ever in this game. Everything that he can do, somebody else can do better. Just as an example: his first limit break is full party heal... but limited to 1000 HP. Marie's first limit break is full party heal... limited only by her magic stat. As you can imagine, when enemies at this level hit for easily 4000-5000 HP sometimes, a 1000 HP heal is really not going to cut it. At this point Marie's heal limit break does like 8000 HP. And all the rest of his abilities are all like this. He literally does not have a single useful ability.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ivantod posted:

Did I not tell you at the very beginning that Lessica is awesome?

Hey, Li Hua straight up punched him in the face. It's good to see people treating Piu Piu correctly.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Lessica really is the best. :allears:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

From what I can remember (and I don't know what I have available of my old files to check; I'm copying them over now), the "Miss Marie" joke is just that Piu-Piu seems geared up to give Marie a suitably perverted or over-the-top nickname, but just gives her what the devs call her anyway: "Marie-san". Given that he thinks it's an awesome nickname, he may believe it to be more unusual than it is.

I admit I'm digging some of this dialogue, too. That's probably weird to say.

e: Yep, I just checked the files and that's exactly what happened. And now I'm looking forward to the rest of the PUB quests!

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 3, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh lord. Lessica can lay down a sick burn.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Hirayuki posted:

From what I can remember (and I don't know what I have available of my old files to check; I'm copying them over now), the "Miss Marie" joke is just that Piu-Piu seems geared up to give Marie a suitably perverted or over-the-top nickname, but just gives her what the devs call her anyway: "Marie-san". Given that he thinks it's an awesome nickname, he may believe it to be more unusual than it is.

I admit I'm digging some of this dialogue, too. That's probably weird to say.

e: Yep, I just checked the files and that's exactly what happened. And now I'm looking forward to the rest of the PUB quests!

Cool, thanks for the clarification!

Also just wanted to say that I do appreciate you giving us these little tidbits from the translation process. We are close to the end of the game now so if there is anything else interesting that you are able to tell us about it, that would be great (no obligation of course).

I do have to say that I liked the translation for CR2 a lot better than those for the first two games--especially the first game seems like, if nothing else, it was done in a rush with not enough time to review and polish everything. But CR2 is pretty nice and I feel that a good job was done especially with localisation of various things, e.g. the equipment/dungeon names which I had a few complaints about in CR1. But the dialogues and everything else do also seem to flow a lot nicer too, in my inexpert opinion. :v:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

Also just wanted to say that I do appreciate you giving us these little tidbits from the translation process. We are close to the end of the game now so if there is anything else interesting that you are able to tell us about it, that would be great (no obligation of course).
I seem to remember it being a pretty straightforward project, with two translators working on it for about six months. We worked really well together, such that our two portions merged seamlessly. I'm glad this title didn't have too many callbacks to the previous two games, since I hadn't played either, and I'm happy to see it came out so well in the end (and that you like our work--thanks!). :)

Some projects make you tear your hair out such that you never want to play the actual game when it comes out--never even want to think about the drat thing the moment it's over. This one has been fun to revisit, though; thanks for taking it on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's a shame Chaos Rings 3 didn't get an English release.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's a shame Chaos Rings 3 didn't get an English release.

Unfortunately, so far no announcements of any kind on that topic. It is a little worrying considering that so far CR games were released everywhere at the same time. We'll see.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Last time we did more sidequests, most of which seemed to involve Piu-Piu in some way or other. This time we'll finish the few that still remain; they are all fights against strong bosses, but wrapped in nicely humorous vignettes, in my opinion. As before, the friendly warning about Piu-Piu perv levels, which are still at DEFCON-1 for this update (wait till you see the boss of the last sidequest!).

The first one involves Conor wanting to be a manly man. Helping him is Orlando, of all people (this is another one where we can't choose which characters we use).

For the record, in all quests in this update, Marie and Darwin are at level 200 (the highest you can achieve in this game) and other characters are around 180.

This kid has a tendency to run off!

And again.

Which monkey?

Oh, that one.

Well, nothing to do but to fight him.

He hits stupidly hard, but doesn't have any special magic powers, like all monkeys we encountered so far.

Obviously the best way to start is to spam Gangrene (this is a stronger version of Necrosis, which comes on one of the Horsemen sopia--it deals 20% of HP damage as opposed to 15%, so not bad, especially on high HP bosses!).

When he's not being pummelled, Conor will be (trying to) help with healing and assorted duties, I don't even bother trying to attack with him.

Orlando's limit break can finish this nicely.

Let's just quickly discuss this situation with Piu-Piu...

Awesome.

This is our reward. Each seed is +3 in the corresponding stat, so this is in total +150 which I immediately give to Darwin, of course.

Next up, it appears that Piu-Piu has lost his diary and we need to help him find it. The searchers will be Orlando (again) and Marie.

Why, what's inside? Actually, don't answer that.

...a little later...

What's that there?

Oh, it's one of those trees, with what I assume is the diary, just under it.

Well then, let's fight him.

He likes to do this, but it's easily solved by equipping a pair of Auryns.

Other than that, this battle is extremely easy, because for some reason he's highly susceptible to this particular spell.

In fact, simply doing this every turn will heal us for more than the damage he's doing! So we do not actually need to do anything else, but repeat this action!

And so we win.

Yeah, ok. Let's give the "diary" back to Piu-Piu.

Not a bad reward. It goes straight to Marie.

Karma is an all-enemy Fire attack spell.

I told you these are pretty funny.

Next up, a bit more of a culinary quest, so of course it's Lessica (and Araki who will be helping).

And there we find...

...well, I guess it's an octopus(?).

I'm sorry about this, but it's just soooo effective to use at the beginning!

Later we'll of course switch to Empathy Attack.

So this one doesn't last very long at all!

Well, you know who will be taking these. Unfortunately this is the last bit of Lessica's culinary exploits. Oh well.

In this one, Darwin and Lessica will be heading out.

This is pretty funny once you find out that this quest features probably the hardest boss fight of all in this update!

Yeah, so this one is just slightly different in that we have to go through the dungeon, looking for these memos in order, before the boss will appear. Memos are supposed be like small hints where to find the next one; luckily the dungeon where this happens is not huge, so if you get stuck you can simply go around looking for the next one.

The very next one is at the starting location.

Well, it says "dead end", so let's head over to the eastern edge of the map.

And indeed.

Number four.

Number five.

And that finally leads to the boss.

This guy is a bit dangerous.

We'll of course do this--by they way, in this manner you can tell that he has 65000 HP, which is nothing to sneeze at.

You really need to be faster than him, because otherwise he'll be doing this to you constantly. Luckly our characters are doing well on speed.

That is, until he does this. But ok, we can use a speed increasing item to keep it level.

Sometimes he'll do this.

You better defend, because it's going to hurt!

He's actually weak to holy, so Lessica's limit break does not do badly either.

And here is the last memo. No, I don't know what happened to number six.

Oh, come on.

We'll split the speed boost between Marie and Darwin.

For the remaining quests, we are free to choose the characters ourselves, so of course we'll go with the tried and true pair, Darwin and Marie. Marie is so overpowered it makes no sense not to use her when you can.

Also, funnily enough, despite being at very high levels, all of the remaining quests give joke rewards which are basically useless.

In any case, this quest involves Orlando and Darwin's old buddy Rick, who you might recall got devoured by some bugs in the very first minutes of this game.

Well, guess what, he got reincarnated as a bug apparently and acquired two new buddies in the process.

Yeah, yeah. Individually they have around 20000 HP each and no real special attacks, so...

...this is over fast.

This reward is silly, as Piu-Piu actually sells them for no real money at all, so we can obtain as many as we like. True, he does also sell those seeds, but they are much more expensive.

One last time against a panda!

This one looks pretty nasty.

Auryns are a must as he will be trying to poison you.

His Luck stat is high, so our attacks often miss.

The items don't, however!

I decide to try something else this time. You would be forgiven if you forgot that this game has summons (because I never used them)! Once your charge gauge is full, you can either do a solo attack and use a limit break, or you can do a pair attack and call a summon for something special.

As you can see above, Lessica summon has a very interesting ability (which is why I equipped Darwin with Lessica's sopia for this fight). It deals heavy damage, and puts the enemy to sleep for four turns!! This game does not actually have a Sleep spell like in Final Fantasy, so this is as good as it gets. It's a level 3 attack so it takes a while before you can use it. So, we will use it now.

Look at that crazy damage!

Now we can pound on him in absolute safety for a couple of turns!

And this is pretty much what this battle is all about, pounding.

Another useless reward. Plum Jam recovers like 100 MP. Marie has a skill that recovers pretty much that amount EVERY TURN. Yeah.

This one is nothing special. It's just high HP palette-swaps of ordinary enemies.

The basic strategy is to first kill Black Mage as he is pretty squishy. Monk uses support spells 90% of the time, so he is pretty harmless, and can be left for last.

This is monk, and pretty much what he will do most of the time.

And here we kill the black mage.

Soon after the knight is a goner too.

Finally, the monk.

Ah, yes, the one we've all been waiting for. It is very much worth doing all the rest of the quests, just so you can see this one--you can't do it until you've done all the others. Seriously.

Notice that the name of our enemy this time is Libido. You might remember him from the first game where he was a pretty nasty character. He's mellowed down considerably, as we'll see.

Ok, let's head to All-seeing eye.

NOTHING can prepare you for this. NOTHING.

And here he is, in his full... uh, glory.

He really doesn't hit that hard.

But he does have 100000 HP, so Gangrene does extremely well.

His attacks are very silly looking.

Yeah.

Eventually, we use this...

...and then finish him off with pair Sacrifice spell. This is actually quite an easy fight, not nearly as hard as he was in CR1--but he had totally different attacks then.

You should really, really, check out this fight in video format--his attacks are really funny looking plus you get to see Lessica summon in action!

VIDEO: Piu-Piu's Libido! (make sure to switch it to 720px HD for much better quality!)

So as a reward he gives us his porn collection. Seriously, though, as you will recall, these are the items that we can just sell back to him for some money. But we have more money that we can count at this point, so... into the trash they go.

Well, that's all the quests done then (well, technically, there is one more, but...). Generally I think most of them are fun to do, slightly challenging, but not too much, the balance is just right I think. If I had to say which ones were the hardest, then without question, the fights against shadow characters. Those are really not a joke. There are hard ones and easy ones among the rest, but these really stood out to me as difficult fights. Obviously, there are a lot more quests on that screen than I've shown you, but that's because a lot of the early ones are just stronger versions of ordinary enemies, with no dialogue or anything else interesting really.

So, what's next?

Next time: THE END!

And to whet your appetite, here is a small preview:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I laughed at Libido's ultimate attack and I'm not even remotely sorry.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That loving face when he grabs his...shaft...
Gets me every single time.

Personally I had the hardest time with Vitra, that fucker's not only fast but he also cancels your movement. Libido was pretty easy though.
I think Vitra is like the only boss I actually decided to level grind for, come to think of it.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 5, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ivantod posted:

And here is the last memo. No, I don't know what happened to number six.
Funny--neither do I! My files have a five, a six, and a seven. It looks like five was removed, then six was relabeled as five, but seven stayed seven.

The deleted Memo #5 read: "Offer your prayers to the light that streams in from the right". I don't know what it could be referring to, though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

The deleted Memo #5 read: "Offer your prayers to the light that streams in from the right". I don't know what it could be referring to, though.

This place, if I had to guess. Though its mirror image cousin also has sun coming in from the right.
I can see why this clue was removed.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 5, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

Personally I had the hardest time with Vitra, that fucker's not only fast but he also cancels your movement. Libido was pretty easy though.
I think Vitra is like the only boss I actually decided to level grind for, come to think of it.

Yeah I agree, of all the bosses in this update, Vitra is for sure the hardest by far. Libido is basically a joke fight, similar to Garrick and Alto. Funnily enough, in CR1 Libido was far from a joke and possibly the hardest boss in the game alongside Piu-Piu!

I must say that one thing I like about these games is how in the end they nicely let you experience the feeling of being overpowered for the most part, what with stuff like Sacrifice, Empathy Attack, Gangrene and Marie in general. This is similar to what I experienced with Final Fantasy X, where you can really make your characters into total powerhouses that think nothing of defeating a boss with 12,000,000 HP and have armours with permanent auto-revive and auto-heal on them!

SSNeoman posted:

That loving face when he grabs his...shaft...
Gets me every single time.

Don't forget the sound effects that accompany that attack! :v:

ivantod fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 5, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Slap Piu-Piu upside the head?

Yes
> Very Yes

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That was an amazing update. And now comes the end.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Welcome back! At this point, there is literally just one thing left to do in the game. And here it is.

You might find yourself confused here a little bit. The recommended level is only 100, but the description says something like "for someone who's managed to get this far". But the quests that we did last time were on levels 150-200 or something like that. The easy explanation for this is that when originally released, this game didn't have quite as many quests as it has now (I think it had about half as many) so this USED to be the last quest that you could do after you've done all the others. Maximum level for characters was also 100 if I am not mistaken.

But then what happened is that a couple of updates were published which raised the max level to 200 and added a whole bunch of side quests. But this one was kept where it is, and now you can do it basically when you're halfway through all the others. It's kind of worthwhile as you get a really good accessory that you can use in the hard fights, but this quest is also interesting in that unlike others, you can do it as many times as you like (but you don't get multiple rewards). So we'll be doing it here with our Lv. 200 characters, although in real life I did it at level 100 to get the reward, so I could use it for other quests. But it's not really super hard either way.

This time we'll do it with Darwin and Marie, but if you are doing it with lower level characters you might want to bring somebody sturdier, such as Araki.

Anyway, let's get going.

So I guess, the idea is that if we beat up Piu-Piu it might help him to regain his lost memory. You might recall from the game that he did have occasional flashes of recollection from the Ark Arena events, which would theoretically indicate that this is happening after, but with these games' mess of timelines and parallel universes, who the heck knows.

As mentioned, because of levelling this will probably be a lot easier than it normally would have been.

As you can see, he does not have a huge amount of HP.

His attacks do look funny.

Of course this is hard to defend from, really. In fact I probably could have used again pair Sacrifice to basically one-shot him... but I like to do it properly.

Like all enemies, sometimes he will skip a turn.

Poke!

But Marie finishes him off eventually.

If you'd like to see his attacks in action, you can use the link below to view this fight as video!

VIDEO: Yours Truly Returns! (make sure to switch it to 720px HD for much better quality!)

Like in the first game, the reward is the Super Bikini which, when worn, gives you a hefty boost in all stats. Unfortunately, even if you redo the quest, you can only get one of these.

So... what happens now?

(I think it's gotten worse. A lot worse.)
(Can I even heal this?)
(Maybe he's waiting for someone to step in and smack him upside the head.)
(So do it. I can't bring myself to.)
(Barehanded hurts. Can I shoot him?)
(Stop him before we catch whatever he has!)
(How odd. I can hear everyone's thoughts.)

(Why can't I stop crying?)
(There are no words.)
(Guess I was one of the lucky ones.)
(Some things... just can't be bought.)
(So this must be what he was like before he lost his memory.)

Again, the whole place starts shaking.

What's going on.

Nice explosion there.

His cardboard cutouts burned out during atmospheric re-entry, I guess.

And apparently somehow everybody hid in his safe while all this was going on and are now being "spat" out.

One last time, the credits. These, too, show us how everyone ended up in this version of the story. Music on these credits is quite funky: it's a medley of chiptune versions of several themes from this and previous games in the series. I highly recommend listening to it (use the link below please)!

And so...

That's it then. This is the fourth and final possible ending in this game. Obviously it is meant as a joke and not part of the canon--the real ending is the one we saw previously. But at this point, there is quite literally nothing else to do in this game. Unfortunately, I don't think there's really any kind of New Game+, so this is basically it, as far as that goes.

Here we are finally, at the end of this (long) saga! It was fun to me to show a few games that people may have overlooked, and hopefully for you too (with apologies for sometimes a bit longer breaks between updates, of course)!

Overall, I think these games have turned out quite well. They have decent storylines, fun gameplay (CR2 especially so) and in my opinion provide good value for money (even though they are often criticised for being expensive compared to some other mobile games). They actually do go on sale from time to time at a substantially discounted prices, so if you are interested to play them yourself, probably you should wait for that.

The first game is perhaps hampered a little bit by the slowness of the story to develop--the real story doesn't in effect start until the second two chapters, so it's possible to lose interest a bit during Eluca/Zhamo chapter as it brings nothing new compared to Escher/Musiea, but if you get through that, you are in for a good time.

The other nice thing is that Chaos Rings 2 really took everything that made the first two games good, and still improved on it. It looks/sounds better, but more importantly the gameplay was vastly improved, especially through little tweaks to the battle system that make it much more fun. What I particularly had fun with there were the high level side quests, which I think they did a good job of making them slightly challenging, but not generally frustrating to do.

One more highlight for me for all three games were the beautiful character portraits--I mentioned several times, they are by Yuusuke Naora, a veteran art director/character designer of many Square JRPGs all the way from Final Fantasy VI onwards. And while I'm mentioning some team members by name, might as well praise Noriyasu Agematsu, the games' music composer, who I also thought did an excellent job!

In case anybody is interested in technical details, I played this on an iPad (there are also versions for iPhone, Android devices and (of all things) PS Vita!); gameplay was recorded via AirPlay mirroring to this application and everything else followed from there.

So I will say goodbye for now, and we'll see what will come next. Maybe Chaos Rings 3, maybe something else, not sure yet. We'll see.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I enjoyed every single bit of the LP.
Really good job showing off the game, I wish more like it existed , actual full fledged phone games.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

nice! Thanks for going through all of these, ivantod!

ivantod posted:

So I will say goodbye for now, and we'll see what will come next. Maybe Chaos Rings 3, maybe something else, not sure yet. We'll see.

If you'll refer to your MOST EXCELLENT avatar, in that thread I believe there was discussion of Strike Commander :getin:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Great job ivantod! I loved this ending. Everyone is just as confused as the audience :allears:

Piu-piu is an odd boss because if you don't lock him the gently caress down, he can become super annoying. Plenty of his attacks interrupt turns and seal skills, while he himself likes to put up magic barriers. If you just rush him, he's super easy.
He also has "I love you guys!" from the first game which makes Bachs face smash into the characters instead of the Qualia :allears:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

SSNeoman posted:

He also has "I love you guys!" from the first game which makes Bachs face smash into the characters instead of the Qualia :allears:

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me! Here is what it looks like:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I enjoyed every single bit of the LP.
Really good job showing off the game, I wish more like it existed , actual full fledged phone games.

Thanks! As I've mentioned several, times, that's why I think complaints about these games being overpriced are somewhat baseless--if they were on a say DS/3DS they would cost probably twice as much and nobody would complain at all. And these games, especially CR2 are certainly strong enough that they could have been on DS/3DS without anybody complaining.

Psion posted:

nice! Thanks for going through all of these, ivantod!

If you'll refer to your MOST EXCELLENT avatar, in that thread I believe there was discussion of Strike Commander :getin:

Ha, I was wondering if you are going to dig up that old joke again... you did not disappoint! :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ivantod posted:

Thanks! As I've mentioned several, times, that's why I think complaints about these games being overpriced are somewhat baseless--if they were on a say DS/3DS they would cost probably twice as much and nobody would complain at all. And these games, especially CR2 are certainly strong enough that they could have been on DS/3DS without anybody complaining.

I think here in the US people just don't consider phone games to be real, full-fledged games. So that's why anything more than 5 bucks is considered a rip-off (and probably why CRIII won't come out for a while). Not helping matters is that there is very little quality control, so anyone can just poo poo one out on the market for a quick buck, though admittedly Google has started to crack down on the more exploitative ones*. It's just a different culture I guess.
I'd argue that SE itself is making the problem worse, just look at the rerelease of FFVI on smartphones. It looks like utter rear end, like someone poo poo it together in RPGMaker2000. Some chucklefuck actually released a fan game version of Mystic Quest (which he demanded money for and falsely claimed SE let him develop it) and it looks better than SE's official re-releases.

I guess one could argue that the Ouya could have helped matters, but lol.

*Google was kind enough to ask me if a small child accidentally used my phone for some Terra Battle IAP. Thanks Google, but it's cool. It's just me and my lack of self-control. :yaycloud:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

So the last ending is Piu-Piu saving everyone? Can't say I saw that coming. Thanks for the LP.

And I'm curious about one thing in CR III: how does the gameplay compare to the other CR games? Does it use a system based on the other games, or does it have its own?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ivantod posted:

Ha, I was wondering if you are going to dig up that old joke again... you did not disappoint! :v:

are you kidding? Probably the high point of my posting career here. How could I ever forget?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mraagvpeine posted:

So the last ending is Piu-Piu saving everyone? Can't say I saw that coming. Thanks for the LP.

And I'm curious about one thing in CR III: how does the gameplay compare to the other CR games? Does it use a system based on the other games, or does it have its own?

It's fairly different. For example, there is no more pair attack (well, you can have 3 people in your party now), but you have other ways of combining attacks and so on. The main issue with gameplay in CR3 is that the game was clearly originally intended to be some variation of "free-to-play", i.e. a game that you could theoretically finish normally, but which is constantly trying to get you to pay real money for in-game items, or which has the "recharge times", but you can pay real money to eliminate them and so on. The released game, luckily, is NOT free-to-play, when you buy it on App Store, that's it, you get everything; but the problem is, that they never removed some of the "free-to-play" elements, it's just that now you don't have to pay real money to speed-up/reset whatever. This influenced quite a lot how levelling/gene abilities work which I am not sure is for the better.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Little dude did sling around phenomenal cosmic power once upon a time, and I suppose when you're making new universes all the time you've got one up on God.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Was a good read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the great LP! I also have to agree with the other poster, I think a large part of people don't view mobile games as really full fledged games. And to be honest? I don't blame them. The market is over saturated by games which want to nickle and dime you, flash games which would have been free less than a decade ago, and all around games with poor controls with multiple bugs. Its not exactly an environment which screams "quality" so when compared to everything else, you wind up wondering if its actually worth the risk to your wallet.

That said, it is a shame since, as was stated, it would have been very well received and problems with pricing would have been ignored literally anywhere else.

• Locked thread