Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Get a kindle fire and use that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nakahara38
Nov 19, 2013
Just sharing.... not really asking you for anything.

But, I guess to contribute to the sake of conversation, I know most aren't but I'm really enjoying Black Clover, it's a bit simple so far, but interesting to me nonetheless.

nakahara38 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 27, 2015

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

nakahara38 posted:

Just sharing.... not really asking you for anything.

But, I guess to contribute to the sake of conversation, I know most aren't but I'm really enjoying Black Clover, it's a bit simple so far, but interesting to me nonetheless.

I'd say still subscribe, to at least support the industry. Then never tell anyone you don't actually read the official version.

And I'm sorta in the same boat on Black Clover. I'm not wasting time reading it, but I won't miss it if/when it's gone.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Asimo posted:

It doesn't really improve as it goes along either. It's just constant flimsy excuses for fights with no downtime or character development against increasingly implausible tiers of enemies for ambiguous stakes. It's basically like the last few years of Bleach, except not having fun early arcs and visually interesting designs to fall back on. There's definitely worse shonen stuff around, but few that were as long running or popular.

Goddamn, Saint Seiya actually starts with a tournament. It's only like chapter 3, and it's a straight up superpower tournament with 100,000 people in a stadium, and real-time Power Levels on a goddamn jumbotron, and the main character chumps a big lummox while all the other competitors are like "That big lummox was stupid, of course the protagonist was going to easily win, but I'll kick his rear end." It's like Shonen 090--Remedial Storytelling.

I remember seeing at least part of a few episodes of the anime when it was on Toonami or Adult Swim or whatever, way back when, and I thought it was just like Voltron except in chrome armor, or Sailor Moon Boys Edition. Maybe it evolves to that later.

Bleach needs to end, more than Naruto ever did. And we're getting yet another let's-redeem-a-defeated-antagonist flashback.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I still think it's dumb how I have to download the app from an unofficial app store in order to use it.
Can't download it in the Netherlands, but once installed I can buy/read the volumes just fine.

To be fair I don't know all that much about licenses and what not, but over here there really is no way of legally obtaining chapters. Unless you find a comic book store that imports them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I finally got a subscription since they released a web version in the UK since its really cheap.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
Shonen Jump AX2015 highlights:

-Junko Takeuchi was a special guest and was interviewed by the Viz staff. Will also be on the podcast Monday.
-Ads for Naruto Ninja Storm 4, Boruto, and One Punch Man.
-Dragon Ball will be the next Jump Back series. Next Jump Start begins next Monday (July 13).
-As for Straighten Up and Devilyman, neither one is being picked up, but he made it sound more like it was an issue with space or something technical/behind-the-scenes like that.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Kuroyama posted:

-As for Straighten Up and Devilyman, neither one is being picked up, but he made it sound more like it was an issue with space or something technical/behind-the-scenes like that.

That's a shame, I like to think straighten up had potential.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Apocron posted:

That's a shame, I like to think straighten up had potential.

It hit 4th place for its first ranking, so it started out strong anyways.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Shame black clover is leaving behind the Rock Lee at Hogwarts premise.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I really liked the first chapter of Mononofu this week. The cast was amusing enough, and in sports manga I tend to see "genius" more than "loser with redeeming quality." Although both happen often enough, I do prefer the latter, especially when paired with hard work, and the motivation/mystery of the character/kanji carved into his palm is a nice hook for me.

It also helps that I like the idea of Shogi but know literally nothing about it besides "kinda like chess" and what I just read in the chapter, so I get to learn too. Yay!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Yeah it was nice to read the first chapter of a series that didn't immediately repulse me.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

The cast was amusing enough, and in sports manga I tend to see "genius" more than "loser with redeeming quality."
And then there are manga like Slam Dunk where the loser with redeeming quality thinks of himself as a genius.

I thought Mononofu was pretty good. I still wish that Straighten Up got picked up by Viz.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
New issue is up along with chapter 1 of Samon the Summoner and chapter 2 of Mononofu. I really dislike the characters in Samon. The narrator's okay, but the protagonist is just terrible. I could do with a lot more of Mononofu, though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

MajorMarcus posted:

New issue is up along with chapter 1 of Samon the Summoner and chapter 2 of Mononofu. I really dislike the characters in Samon. The narrator's okay, but the protagonist is just terrible. I could do with a lot more of Mononofu, though.

By Protagonist do you mean Samon or Teshigawara? I assume the former. Samon is indeed a piece of poo poo, but Teshi is an angel. (Joke.) She's not especially deep yet, but she makes some fantastic faces. I agree that Mononofu is the stronger series though and would much rather have it join the magazine permanently. You don't get many shonen manga about adults and it's really engaging.

Speaking of manga about adults, kind of, I also really liked Bakuman Age 13. It made me sympathize with Iwase a little more, I thought she was horrible in the manga proper. Seeing Hiramaru again was great too. But mainly I just appreciated the Eyeshield 21 shout out.

Arc-V is absurd. I lost track of Yu-Gi-Oh! back around the GX phase so synchro summons and pendulum summons all make no sense to me, but now there's cards you can just run over and grab? Are they in either duelist's deck or generated by the field? Why do I care?

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

By Protagonist do you mean Samon or Teshigawara?

Yeah, I meant Samon. This type of writing where the narrating character isn't the protagonist reminds me a bit of Fairy Tail's Lucy and Natsu, and I really disliked Lucy. Perhaps that is what is annoying me about this manga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The new jumpstart this week, Something-I-Forget no Yaiba, seems pretty cool! I'd definitely be interested in seeing more. I like the art a lot!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I liked it too! Definitely a different feel than most recent manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't get the sports manga, that's like Japanese space jam isn't it?

Or are their dark sports manga? , maybe that might be interesting.

• Locked thread