Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

gninjagnome posted:

Just picked up the cover to Mystic U #1 by Julian Tedesco through his art dealer. Was trying to snag a Hawkeye cover for a while, but kept missing them.

That's some great pencil work.

Speaking of pencils, what's the best way to keep non-ink'd pieces? I'm always a little fearful about how I'm storing them that they'll end up just smudged blobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. That Mystik U cover was definitely one of the best of last year. Congrats.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

That's some great pencil work.

Speaking of pencils, what's the best way to keep non-ink'd pieces? I'm always a little fearful about how I'm storing them that they'll end up just smudged blobs.

Mylar bags or portfolios like Itoyas are supposed to not smudge pencils.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I've just kept mine in Iotyola portfolios, and they seem alright. I don't take them in and out that often.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man. That Mystik U cover was definitely one of the best of last year. Congrats.

What's funny is I haven't even read the comic. It's been on my pile for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. Cover is just that awesome.

The artist sent a print of the colored version with it. Thinking of framing it with the print and comic, but I'd have to figure put where to out it first.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 1, 2018

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Keep forgetting to post this, but if anyone wants to snag some Jim Lee art, he does a twitch stream on some Sunday's. My understanding is its usually 3 pieces. He raffles one off amount everyone in his channel, one raffles to people that pay his sub fee, and one is a silent auction.

Probably your best bet at getting something cool from him without dropping a couple grand. I keep meaning to check it out, but I've never used twitch, and always have family stuff going on when I remember.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So now that conventions are getting started, what are some good artist agent Twitter accounts to follow? Those usually seem to be where appearances and pre-commissions and everything get announced.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I tend to follow things on Facebook and Instagram, so not sure if they announce on Twitter, but Essential Sequential is very active at the cons I goto.

If I recall correctly, Cadence comic art and Felix comic art usually have announcement for their artists.

Look at the previous years attendees for the cons you are interested in, and see who usually attends then follow them on whatever social media platform they use. Even if their agent makes arrangements, they will usually announce on their own feeds.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

gninjagnome posted:

Keep forgetting to post this, but if anyone wants to snag some Jim Lee art, he does a twitch stream on some Sunday's. My understanding is its usually 3 pieces. He raffles one off amount everyone in his channel, one raffles to people that pay his sub fee, and one is a silent auction.

Probably your best bet at getting something cool from him without dropping a couple grand. I keep meaning to check it out, but I've never used twitch, and always have family stuff going on when I remember.

Saw someone on Facebook that got a Black Panther from his stream. Lee draws a very impressive BP.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If you're interestd in Ms. Marvel pages, follow "takeshi miyazawa art n stuff" on facebook. Pages are supposed to go up Monday or Tuesday. No idea on the price range.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Went to WonderCon a couple weeks ago. Really like it as a show, much more chill and laid back than I'm used to and I was totally unprepared for it so I didn't really have anything lines up and only got this from Dan Panosian (who I've been trying to hook up with for something for years now).

About a week after WonderCon I got this in the mail from Amy Reeder. Missed her last year, wasn't gonna miss her this year.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

I love Amy's art. Is that Jasmine as well?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

gninjagnome posted:

I love Amy's art. Is that Jasmine as well?

Yeah, both Jasmine. I usually like to space out what I get so I'm not necessarily getting the same character twice at the same time but it just didn't work out this time. Whatever. They're both amazing pieces and my OCD can handle it better because of that :) .

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Every year I spend an increasing amount on ONE single crazy expensive (for me) piece and get some smaller ones. The expensive ones have gotten so high that I've gotten a lot less smaller ones. Plus, as artists get better known, their rates go nuts.

I've started picking up art from up and comers on Tumblr/Deviantart/Instagram, whatever. Anyone have any recommendations in that bracket they'd like to share?

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Not sure if he does at home commissions, but Creeesart (Creees HyunSung Lee) on Instagram does some amazing work. A full figure was $200 at East Coast Comic Con this weekend, I think busts were $100. I got the Iron Fist he just posted. I've run into him at two cons, and he's a nice guy that's been trying to break in.

I'm trying to hit up smaller cons, and went to East Coast ComicCon this weekend. My laptop just died, so I haven't been able to post yet, but I got some great stuff at an amazing value compared to the NYCC prices.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 30, 2018

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Short notice but Chrissie Zullo is doing opening take home commissions tonight at 7:00P EDT tonight.

Grab them while they're hot.

http://chrissiezullo.storenvy.com/

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

RevKrule posted:

Short notice but Chrissie Zullo is doing opening take home commissions tonight at 7:00P EDT tonight.

Grab them while they're hot.

http://chrissiezullo.storenvy.com/

Sold out by 19:02. She deserves it, but wow.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I got one in. Thanks for the heads up.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yond Cassius posted:

Sold out by 19:02. She deserves it, but wow.

Thankfully I was going for the Denver Comic Con pickup, but even that sold out at 19:04.

She charges too little for what she does, even at her 'new' price of $125. I've gotten similar quality pieces for 2x or 3x what she's charging even now.

But as long as I can get a piece relatively inexpensively from her, I'll always get one. She's just an 'always' support artist (at least unless she milkshake ducks herself, that'd be a sad day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anyone who’s done covers for one of the big two could easily ask double that for just a B&W 9x12, yeah.

• Locked thread