Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Thanks guys. I figured there would be some red herrings and plot points that go nowhere, but it is nice to get confirmation.

The LP was last updated with what I think is the beginning of the K path. We had seen the Dio, Clover, Alice, and Tenmyouji endings, and were stuck at the 5 seconds of life, Bomb #2 and computer password plot locks.

One other thing that just came to mind. What the hell do the graffiti mean? Is there a deeper meaning to "Two Milkmen Go Comedy" and "Memento Mori if the Nineth Lion Ate the Sun" than just being an anagram of welcome to my kingdom and having something to do with the computer?

E: Also, should I be spoiler tagging these things? Seems like most people did in the rest of the thread.

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

So I ended up biting the bullet and going to the wiki anyway to get some more details. I only got broad strokes on the overall plot and endings though and didn't go to any of the character pages, so there are still a couple things that I don't really know or understand.

1: Is Alice's backstory relevant at all other than that she's a spy who knows about the Myrmidons? Whatever happened to her father?
2: Is Brother's identity ever revealed (in VLR)?
3: Does Junpei/Tenmyouji know that Akane was running/involved in the whole thing? And why would he think that Alice is "All-Ice" if he was in the car when they picked her up at the end of 999?
4: How did Sigma (and everyone else not frozen) survive so long if they had Radical-6? Has Sigma had radical-6 since the outbreak and it only now just now started to feel the effects 40+ years later? He can't be immune, because you see its effects in (at least) the Clover Ending and the scene in the security room.
5: Does Old Lady Akane have her younger consciousness like Sigma does? If so, how does she know what's going on while Sigma doesn't? And how did younger Sigma get wrapped up in all of this anyway?

1: IIRC, Clover went to work for Free The Soul as a double agent, but she got caught. Alice and her organization went in to rescue Clover, she was fine, but they found Alice's dad's corpse there (he had been kidnapped previously and forced to work for them); before dying he had carved... The coordinates of the Myrmidon's main base, I think? Into his skin. Alice, Clover, and their group were going to raid it and stop their nefarious plans, but that's when they got kidnapped and placed into cryo.
2: Nope.
3: He doesn't know until the ending where Akane is alive and explains everything. I'd guess the All-Ice stuff was more him trying to determine whether she was who he thought she was? Not sure.
4: Sigma went to the moon before getting infected. Junpei or Akane, I dunno. Quark I think wasn't born until after everything settled down already, I think, and probably just never left the safe area he seemed to grow up in? Dio was part of the Myrmidons, who planned the whole thing, so it'd be easy for them to stay safe in bunkers or whatnot. K(yle) is a clone of Sigma's, and was made on the moon after Sigma escaped to the moon base. Phi, Alice, and Clover were in cryo. Luna was a robot. I think I remembered everyone :v:
5: I don't think Akane had any personal time shenanigans, no. Young!Sigma got wrapped up in it by, well... Oh goodness. So this is a stable(-ish) time loop. The same consciousness from two points in time can swap bodies. In the future, old!Sigma wants to go back in time to stop radical-6 from happening, using his post-outbreak knowledge. He swaps places with young!Sigma, after young!Sigma's "abduction." When old!Sigma came from is right before the Nonary Game, so that's where young!Sigma switches to. Then VLR happens. At the end of VLR, young!Sigma switches places with after-ZTD-old!Sigma, then goes to the moon and spends 45 years setting up the Nonary Game.

.....I think.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Insertnamehere31 posted:

1: Is Alice's backstory relevant at all other than that she's a spy who knows about the Myrmidons? Whatever happened to her father?
2: Is Brother's identity ever revealed (in VLR)?
3: Does Junpei/Tenmyouji know that Akane was running/involved in the whole thing? And why would he think that Alice is "All-Ice" if he was in the car when they picked her up at the end of 999?
4: How did Sigma (and everyone else not frozen) survive so long if they had Radical-6? Has Sigma had radical-6 since the outbreak and it only now just now started to feel the effects 40+ years later? He can't be immune, because you see its effects in (at least) the Clover Ending and the scene in the security room.
5: Does Old Lady Akane have her younger consciousness like Sigma does? If so, how does she know what's going on while Sigma doesn't? And how did younger Sigma get wrapped up in all of this anyway?

Some more detail:

1. No, and we don't find out anything about her father either, it's just random backstory. Although, in her ending, when she says Sigma reminds her of her father, it makes a lot more sense once you find out he's in an old man body.

3. Ten had no idea how exactly Akane was involved, he just heard she was involved somehow, or at least he'd be able to see her there, so he just went like an idiot cause he's been desperately chasing after her the whole time since 2028. As pointed out though, he's not happy with her once he finally finds her alive and gets her exposition dump. He considers the old Akane he knew and loved to be gone, replaced by a callous time manipulator that barely seems to think in a human way anymore. He gives a nice speech of his own in the epilogue, about how he doesn't really give a poo poo about shifting timelines cause even the ones that aren't "optimal" still have meaning. He might be in the timeline where humanity is ravaged by Radical-6, but he also has Quark and wouldn't want to give that up.

As for All-Ice, it's not made clear how serious he was about that, but my personal theory is that he refused to believe the All-Ice story wasn't true after all.

4. Sigma probably avoided getting Radical-6 by hiding out on the moon. He also met up with Akane once his younger mind got back to its rightful place, so she could always be helping to influence their safety through some indirect time fuckery for all we know. K was cloned up on the moon so he was also away from the Earth outbreak. Luna is a robot and was faking it. Dio is with the Myrmidons so he might already have some antidote, but in any case he didn't have to worry about being around for the original outbreak cause he was born/cloned later. Tenmyouji is the only one I'd guess is naturally immune, but that's never made clear. Maybe in the Clover ending he was killed by someone else instead of killing himself? Maybe Dio. :shrug:

5. Old Akane is genuinely old. She and Sigma worked on all this junk well into the future. Then Sigma sent his old mind back to brain-jack his younger self, while old Akane stayed around to get possibly murdered by Dio. As for how younger Sigma got involved, it's implied to be similar to how Akane set up 999, by seeing into the future timelines. So he was targeted for the kidnapping, and once he's out that's when his older self displaces his consciousness.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Zack Ater posted:

1: IIRC, Clover went to work for Free The Soul as a double agent, but she got caught. Alice and her organization went in to rescue Clover, she was fine, but they found Alice's dad's corpse there (he had been kidnapped previously and forced to work for them); before dying he had carved... The coordinates of the Myrmidon's main base, I think? Into his skin. Alice, Clover, and their group were going to raid it and stop their nefarious plans, but that's when they got kidnapped and placed into cryo.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that bit! She did find out her father was dead, but nothing came of his attempt to help stop Free the Soul cause she got cockblocked by Akane.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Radical-6 didn't kill everyone on earth, it just killed a bunch of people. Junpei was just lucky enough to not be one of those people, is all.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Insertnamehere31 posted:

One other thing that just came to mind. What the hell do the graffiti mean? Is there a deeper meaning to "Two Milkmen Go Comedy" and "Memento Mori if the Nineth Lion Ate the Sun" than just being an anagram of welcome to my kingdom and having something to do with the computer?
They're both just anagrams. The second one is "The Man on the Moon Rules the Infinite Time". Phi figures it out near the end. They don't really mean anything, the second one is just a reference to Sigma and his ability to jump back and forth in spacetime.

Alice's back story isn't really relevant to the overall plot but as mentioned her father was kidnapped, tortured and killed by Free the Soul. Dio uses it to taunt her at one point.

Most of the characters aren't infected with Radical-6 until just prior to the Nonary game starting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You know actually it's interesting. Does nobody have immunity to radical 6? Because we know it would get 75 percent of the population but I thought that was saying the other 25 percent would have a natural resistance.

So I guess it's just really more like some people managed to stay away from infected long enough?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ineffiable posted:

You know actually it's interesting. Does nobody have immunity to radical 6? Because we know it would get 75 percent of the population but I thought that was saying the other 25 percent would have a natural resistance.

So I guess it's just really more like some people managed to stay away from infected long enough?

Stupid Madagascar, always closing its borders.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

Ineffiable posted:

I knew doing all those sudoku puzzles would eventually pay off!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bruceski posted:

Stupid Madagascar, always closing its borders.

Yeah exactly. I was trying to remember that country from the virus game.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Ineffiable posted:

No. We already know that Radical-6 doesn't kill all the 6 billion, a bunch die off from the collapse of civilization, as well as gigantic anti-matter bombs that go off. So it's likely immunity exists, and that's what Axelivir comes from. Just was too little too late.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The Researcher's diary you get in VLR says that they created Axelavir from someone who was immune to it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Right I guess I was just saying that like oldpei and quark and... Dio? All lived in a world with radical six just floating around and didn't get infected. Then they are infected in the game and eventually need the alexivar.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Quark and Dio were born after radical 6 died out. Not sure about Junpei though

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

I think it's implied that Junpei hid underground from when the reactors went off to when the disease died down.

E: So I've seen another phrase thrown around that I don't know anything about. Since I haven't come across an explanation in any of my digging about VLR specifically, I'm not sure if it was ever explained in VLR or if it's spillover from ZTD, so just in case I'm gonna put it in tags just so I don't accidentally talk about a ZTD specific thing here.

Who/What is "Crash Keys"? Is that phrase ever brought up in VLR?

Insertnamehere31 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 29, 2016

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah something about as people who were supposed to maintain nuclear power went nuts it caused spectacular meltdowns which cause the bulk of the damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Who/What is "Crash Keys"? Is that phrase ever brought up in VLR?

It is, but I think only indirectly. (VLR spoilers)The bomb codes are actually codes; you can decrypt them with a simple rotation cypher. They decrypt to "MY BROTHER", "FREE Z SOUL", "MYRMIDONS" and "CRASH KEYS". Since you get the last code from Zero it's assumed that that wasn't Dio's original code for that bomb - instead it's a hint of who the mastermind is. "Crash Keys" of course sounds like (Akane) Kurashiki. There might have been a mention of it in the gold files or in the post-game interview too?

It does get mentioned again and clarified in ZTD, but there aren't really any major spoilers associated with it.

• Locked thread