Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

They sell only one soc tv board with 4 HDMI ports, although I'm not sure when the article was last updated

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MediaTek_systems_on_chips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hadlock posted:

They sell only one soc tv board with 4 HDMI ports, although I'm not sure when the article was last updated

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MediaTek_systems_on_chips

The latest edit dates for wiki articles are on the bottom :eng101:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, the last time a :spergin: downloaded their product catalog off their website and updated the tables on that page

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You didn't ask about accuracy, you were saying you didn't know when it was updated :colbert:

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

qirex posted:

I bet Mediatek has managed to make a better one in the last 5 years, which is how long they've been doing this.

Yes, it was in the 2023 products, so this soc is the 2nd version of that.

Edit: looks like the QD-OLED experiment, at least for Sony was short lived.

Animale fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 17, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Animale posted:

Edit: looks like the QD-OLED experiment, at least for Sony was short lived.

Not really surprised because the prices for these mini-LED sets are not THAT bad to the point where I don't think there is a value niche for QD-OLED in their lineup. Regular OLED at the low end premium, mini LED at the high end.

If it weren't for the fact that my C6 is still perfectly fine (and the fact that I would feel embarrassed for telling anyone I spent $5500 on a TV) I would be REALLY tempted to get the 85" there.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 17, 2024

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is mini-LED really better than OLED? I saw some specs for Sony’s Mini-LED Bravia and it mentioned dimming zones - why are we going back to dimming zones? Why are we going from perfect black and zero blooming back to lifted blacks and blooming whites? Just to chase brightness and less risk of burn-in?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is mini-LED really better than OLED? I saw some specs for Sony’s Mini-LED Bravia and it mentioned dimming zones - why are we going back to dimming zones? Why are we going from perfect black and zero blooming back to lifted blacks and blooming whites? Just to chase brightness and less risk of burn-in?

Pretty much but OLED keeps improving on those 2 things and I think it’ll prevail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It be fair, it's a LOT of zones. Sony doesn't disclose it, but rtings estimates it at 1920.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Animale posted:

looks like the QD-OLED experiment, at least for Sony was short lived.

Sony, unlike Samsung and LG, doesn't manufacture OLED panels, so they have incentive to move away.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Definitely keeping my eyes open for deals on the 65" C3 - I have a 55" E8 right now and it's served me very well, but I've noticed a few clusters of dead pixels here and there. Not anything that's visible from couch distance, but it gives me an excuse to upgrade. I'll probably have to get a new receiver at the same time, since I'm using an X1400H that doesn't support HDMI 2.1/eARC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can the C3 turn off the tv via remote without the IR pointing at the tv? Is there a setting enable it to use Bluetooth or something? Seems like everything else doesn’t need a direct ir connection.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you get a Chromecast ultra and name it TV you can just turn the TV off from anywhere in the house when you say "ok Google turn off the TV"

Also works for turning it on, which is nice if you're making a snack for TV time, lets the TV boot past the splash screen and finish loading the home screen by the time you sit down, plus you don't need to look for the remote etc

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I use HomeKit a lot on my phone and it continues to let me do it on this tv but it’s weird I can’t with the remote unless pointed at the IR.

Mildly annoying since the soundbar is in the way so I have to arc my arm to get it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://youtu.be/p7BBkRI29X4?si=MEZomx0uH0Ha4P9Y

Is this a good video to listen to for a 42 inch C3?

Edit: I’m impressed that LG actually lets you disable ads.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 19, 2024

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
IR only works by line of sight; it's not like Bluetooth or wifi.

However, there are little infrared repeaters you can buy. Stick the new receiver somewhere easier to point at, and then the repeater transmitter where it will hit the TV's receiver.

Not vouching for this one, but it's the kind of device you want:

https://a.co/d/1Ix6usq

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://apple.news/AdwVhQspLTYuayAP1wL-0bQ
(Ars)

quote:

Meet QDEL, the backlight-less display tech that could replace OLED in premium TVs

The backlight-free wonder
Today's OLED screens use OLED material as their light source, with QD-OLED specifically applying quantum dots to convert the light into color. In QLED, the light source is a white backlight; QDEL displays apply electricity directly to quantum dots, which then generate light.

QDEL displays have pixels made of a red quantum dot subpixel, green quantum dot subpixel, and—differing from today's QLED and QD-OLED displays—blue quantum dot subpixel. QDEL displays use the same quantum dot cores that QD-OLED and QLED products use, Nanosys' Yurek told me, adding, "The functionalization of the outer layer of the [quantum dots] needs to be changed to make it compatible with each display architecture, but the cores that do the heavy lifting are pretty much the same across all of these."

Because QDEL pixels make their own light and can therefore turn off completely, QDEL displays can deliver the same deep blacks and rich contrast that made OLED popular. But with the use of direct-view quantum dots, stakeholders are claiming the potential for wider color gamuts than we've seen in consumer displays before. With fewer layers and parts, there are also implications for QDEL product pricing, longevity, and even thinness.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Sounds cool. Hopefully doesn't go the way of SED.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
SED?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Canon's TV technology that lived a very short life.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/MittenDAmour/status/1781752084750074140

@MittenDAmour posted:

Can’t remember who told me this but it’s fixed the blight of Netflix playing tiny mouse fart dialogue audio drowned behind trumpeting background noise.

It thinks your TV is surround sound, so change this from English [Original] 5.1 to just English [Original]. You’re welcome.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Another issue is that pretty much all TVs have some type of sound "enhancement" enabled by default that attempts to simulate surround sound by adding reverb and spatial separation. It almost always turns the audio into a noisy mess. This is also why most soundbars suck - many of them don't allow you to turn this stuff off.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Another issue is that pretty much all TVs have some type of sound "enhancement" enabled by default that attempts to simulate surround sound by adding reverb and spatial separation. It almost always turns the audio into a noisy mess. This is also why most soundbars suck - many of them don't allow you to turn this stuff off.
Even the services are doing this, for a while Amazon had dynamic range compression turned on by default in their apple tv app and oh man it sounds bad if you have a decent system.

I'm sure everyone in here has seen me post this but if you can possibly manage it in your room get a cheap receiver, 2 bookshelf speakers and some stands. Or a pair of powered speakers. Soundbars, HTiB packages, etc. are generally awful, unless you spend a ton of money at which point they become tolerable. 2 channels of good sound is a million times better than 5-15 channels of plasticky honking.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

qirex posted:

Even the services are doing this, for a while Amazon had dynamic range compression turned on by default in their apple tv app and oh man it sounds bad if you have a decent system.

I'm sure everyone in here has seen me post this but if you can possibly manage it in your room get a cheap receiver, 2 bookshelf speakers and some stands. Or a pair of powered speakers. Soundbars, HTiB packages, etc. are generally awful, unless you spend a ton of money at which point they become tolerable. 2 channels of good sound is a million times better than 5-15 channels of plasticky honking.

You mean this doesnt output good sound??????

https://www.amazon.com/Saiyin-Soundbar-Bluetooth-Connection-Projectors/dp/B0C14C2YMX/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That looks like it produces exactly twenty nine dollars and ninety-nine cents worth of sound.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 23, 2024

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

My main video room has good sound. My bedroom TV does not. I wish there was a slim receiver I could mount behind the TV. Just give me two HDMI and some speaker inputs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GreenNight posted:

My main video room has good sound. My bedroom TV does not. I wish there was a slim receiver I could mount behind the TV. Just give me two HDMI and some speaker inputs.

These exist, they're just pricey for what you get like everything that touches the custom install market. There's also streaming amps like the Wiim amp, Sonos Amp or Powernode Edge.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What are the options for better sound that's not in bookshelf speaker form. My wife *hates* the way bookshelf speakers look by the TV. She likes a soundbar just bc aesthetically it's slim and low profile and blends into furniture. She's down for me upgrading the sound as long as it's visually pleasing.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Find an attractive looking set of Tower speakers? If you're not allowed to do something that's not a sound bar, then find a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

BonoMan posted:

What are the options for better sound that's not in bookshelf speaker form. My wife *hates* the way bookshelf speakers look by the TV. She likes a soundbar just bc aesthetically it's slim and low profile and blends into furniture. She's down for me upgrading the sound as long as it's visually pleasing.

I bought second hand B&O powered speakers which look pretty good and cost a fraction of their original price. I have some Beolab 8000s in one living room and some 20s in another. Very happy with them.