Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I actually have goals now, which is weird. They are:

1) to average 8 rounds a week
2) to get my handicap to ___ (it's 9.8 now). (I don't want to tell you the unrealistic number.)
3) to be good at driving the ball
4) to lose 37 lbs (plus the 12 already lost)

It helps that I don't have a job and am living off savings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I could use some help or suggestions. My dad casually mentioned that he does not think he will play golf next year. He has some pretty bad arthritis and says he can not hold the club very well and it slips during his swing. I think this is crazy and want to try and help him play. I suggested replacing his grips with the large size but he was not enthusiastic about the idea. He said he though about getting some Stickum spray, but I was hoping there would be better alternatives. Does anyone know of some ways to make a club easier to grip or ways to help. Thanks

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sarehu posted:

I actually have goals now, which is weird. They are:

1) to average 8 rounds a week
2) to get my handicap to ___ (it's 9.8 now). (I don't want to tell you the unrealistic number.)
3) to be good at driving the ball
4) to lose 37 lbs (plus the 12 already lost)

It helps that I don't have a job and am living off savings.

8 rounds is too much dude. 4 rounds at max, if you're really grinding them out; would be ideal if you're supplementing them with range and (more importantly) short wedge and putting practice.

(this coming from a 1.3 index and former unemployed golfer)

zinc68 fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 21, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Seriously, 8 in a week is bananas

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

Seriously, 8 in a week is bananas

Yup, I was at my best when I had time to play 3-4 rounds a week while getting in 10 hours of short game / wedge work a week. Having full and complete confidence with you short game will give you the biggest impact in your handicap score.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Went to the range today and hit my new SLDR. Holy poo poo, not the sound I was expecting. I don't know why, but I was expecting a high-pitched pingy sound, but I got like a baseball bat gunshot sound. Oban Kiyoshi shaft feels great in it, too.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Seriously. No matter how addicted you are, 8 rounds per week isn't going to happen unless you're getting paid to do it.

If you really want to get better, play a few times every week and use the other days to take lessons/do directed practice.

8 rounds per week will just make you exhausted and burn out.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
time for 1 round per month would be nice. meh

although since I'm rehabbing another drat house my back is mega hosed and my hands, wrists, elbows, neck, left shoulder, left knee and right ankle are sore as hell too. I'm looking at late Feb to even make it back to the range. :smith:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Seymour Butts posted:

Went to the range today and hit my new SLDR. Holy poo poo, not the sound I was expecting. I don't know why, but I was expecting a high-pitched pingy sound, but I got like a baseball bat gunshot sound. Oban Kiyoshi shaft feels great in it, too.

Yeah. My league partner bought the SLDR early on and we were quite surprised with the unexciting "thwap" it makes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I went to Deweys (http://deweysgolf.com/) yesterday with a few friends. This might be my new favorite place in the whole wide world! The simulators are the ones they use on the golf channel and they are probably as close to perfect as they make(they sell them, about 90k for the full setup). We warmed up on their virtual driving range for a bit just to get a feel how everything works. It tracked all our swings, and we all have different swings, perfectly, gives just about every form of feedback for your swing you could want. There's close to 40-50 courses you can choose from when you're ready to play. We picked The Old Course at St Andrews since it's wide open and a couple of my friends have huge slices and we wanted it to be a fun round. While the graphics you see on the screen aren't photo realistic they give you enough detail that you get a good idea what the course looks like and what you're shooting at. It took the 4 of us between eating and drinking about 3 1/2 hours to play the full round. Total cost was right at $100, so $25/person, which for the middle of the day on Sunday isn't bad at all to play a round of course, while eating drinking and watching football on all the TVs they had around the place. One of the nice things is at the end of the round it gives you a full recap for everyone.

I had an awesome front nine but poo poo the bed on the last 3 holes, otherwise I would've been under par :(

We all agreed it was a great way to play a round of golf, they've got nice comfy reclining chairs you can sit in when it's not your turn and the waitress is always ready to bring you food or drinks. Plus they have a huge 200'+ screen right in the middle of the place usually with some sporting event on, since it was sunday they had any football game you wanted on. Also, when one of their simulators isn't in use they'll put tv on in there too. Each simulator is in it's own, 20x20x20 or so cubby, with 4 chairs and a little bar right behind the chairs. No worries about taking a full swing and hitting something, I used about every club in my bag and never had any issue hitting any shot and having it not track correctly. All in all we had a great time and can't wait to go back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

All of you people in warm states stop hogging all the indoor golf places :arghfist::sigh:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

All of you people in warm states stop hogging all the indoor golf places :arghfist::sigh:

Yeah it really doesn't make much sense to me, unless there are just that many more golfers down south. I have around a dozen courses within half an hour of my house but no cool indoor stuff like that. One or two places have sims but they're mostly for fittings, I don't even think they have enough people interested for winter leagues like they used to.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah it really doesn't make much sense to me, unless there are just that many more golfers down south. I have around a dozen courses within half an hour of my house but no cool indoor stuff like that. One or two places have sims but they're mostly for fittings, I don't even think they have enough people interested for winter leagues like they used to.

To be fair, I'm sure this is a huge part of it.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
My chipping is so absurd right now. I'm hitting it fairly close most of the time but always have one or two that are super bad--generally they're the easier chips too. At the same time, I've had one chip-in in 8 of my last 10 rounds. Golf is weird.

My last one was pretty silly. I hit my tee shot over the green on a 195 yard par 3. Pretty short sided; I have about 40 feet to the flag off a downhill lie to a downhill green sloping about 6 feet left to right. I hit my chip on the collar and it bounces onto the green and trickles dead in the center. Best part was I said "it's in the hole" after I saw the bounce. Called it with like 15 feet to go.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Speaking of chipping, I'm experimenting with using the bounce and putting the ball way back in my stance. I'm starting to get those chips that bounce once and check up hard. I had no idea how to do it until a former Hooters tour player showed me.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Seymour Butts posted:

Speaking of chipping, I'm experimenting with using the bounce and putting the ball way back in my stance. I'm starting to get those chips that bounce once and check up hard. I had no idea how to do it until a former Hooters tour player showed me.

I saw Monte Scheinblum over the summer and he taught me his "deliver the bounce" method of chipping and it works really well. He said it wasn't always the best chipping method for the shot you have but it's good for everything and is really easy to master. I went from low 90's to low 80 scores after seeing him so a lot of his stuff works well for your casual golfer types.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Played my first round of 2015 last Friday. Got off to a great start birdieing my first 2 holes.

Driver was a bit off a mess on the front, but I figured it out half way through the round. It took almost 3 hours to play the front 9, so we went over to the first tee on the property's other course to play our back 9 since nobody was there when we made the turn.

My golf goals for 2015 are to devote way more of my practice time to my short game (putting specifically) than I typically do. To that end, one of my Christmas presents is an indoor putting green from these guys: http://birdieball.com.

It's supposed to show up Wednesday, so I haven't used it yet, but it has a lot of positive reviews. Hopefully it won't suck.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BCRock posted:

To that end, one of my Christmas presents is an indoor putting green from these guys: http://birdieball.com.

It's supposed to show up Wednesday, so I haven't used it yet, but it has a lot of positive reviews. Hopefully it won't suck.

Ooooh neat. Let us know how you like it because that looks really cool.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

Dave_Indeed posted:

I saw Monte Scheinblum over the summer and he taught me his "deliver the bounce" method of chipping and it works really well. He said it wasn't always the best chipping method for the shot you have but it's good for everything and is really easy to master. I went from low 90's to low 80 scores after seeing him so a lot of his stuff works well for your casual golfer types.

When I first read this I had no idea who that was. However, I recently found some videos by Kevin Miyahira which led me to Monte Scheinblum. Those two guys have definitely changed the way I've looked at the golf swing. Really excited that these guys exist as I haven't been blown away by any of the instructors I've seen in person. Just curious, but what kind of stuff did Monte have you work on? Could you explain his "deliver the bounce" method because I pretty much scrapped it in my game because it was so inconsistent. What did you work on in your full swing?

I've recently been working on the proper left arm rotation on the backswing (which fixes my across the line at the top) and "moving my zipper" away from the ball to start my transition. Hit a bunch of balls in the last couple days and my ball striking has improved 10x. Funny, I've seen a few instructors and their "fix" to my across the line at the top was "swing shorter." None of them were keen to proper left arm rotation which automatically shortened my backswing and put my club at a more down the line position at the top.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

DJExile posted:

Ooooh neat. Let us know how you like it because that looks really cool.

It showed up this morning, so I set it up and messed around with it today.

My early impression is that it's great. I went with the 14' x 4' version so I'd be able to practice putts up to 10'. For me this is all about grooving in my putting stroke and getting really confident in my short putts, so it's perfect for that. They give you a bunch of shims to use to create break or elevation, but I doubt I'll actually use them.

I went with the 10-11 stimp option, which they categorize as medium speed/private course. It's really close, for sure. Definitely faster than the public city courses around here without being ridiculous, which is what I was hoping for. It comes with the end bumpers, which are useful and easy to put on/take off. I didn't go for the optional side rails since I plan on rolling it up whenever it's not being used.

You can pick how you want the holes cut. I just went with 3 on each end. It comes with cups and flags for each hole. Two of the cups have a raised lip so you can hit them a little firmer, or if you double up the depth of the green the raised edge sits flush with the top of the hole.

The material itself feels really soft, especially when you stand on it, but pressure marks/footprints seem to pop right out almost instantly once you move. I think it would feel too squishy if you tried to use it on carpet and I've read a lot of comments saying the same. It also makes the double-thickness option they offer not that useful. It's an indoor green, so I don't plan on wearing shoes on it anyway, but I'm sure you could as long as they aren't golf spikes.

I pulled out that little chipping mat that you see in the foreground and it's pretty nice for practicing little chips as well. The ball reacts pretty similar to a real green on it.

The worst thing is that the dog loves it and he loves chasing golf balls, so getting him out of the way long enough to use it may be a challenge.

Overall, I'm impressed with it so far. The only thing that would make me regret it now is if the thing falls apart after a week.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
2 bad range sessions in a row. I hate this sport sometimes.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I feel as if a new golf megathread is needed. It IS 2015, after all. I can start it this evening, unless DoctaFun (?) wants to start it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BCRock posted:

aaaaaaaaaa omg omg who is dat puppy :buddy:

Huskers
May 9, 2009

BCRock posted:

Thanks for the writeup. I saw these on a best golf gift list somewhere and was definitely curious about them.

(Your dog was the best part though)

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Kameh posted:

I feel as if a new golf megathread is needed. It IS 2015, after all. I can start it this evening, unless DoctaFun (?) wants to start it.

Take the reigns Kameh! I don't have time to make an effort OP, and to be honest I've been out of the golf loop for the last 5 months or so, which means I don't know any of the 5 most recent TaylorMade Drivers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"Sergio Garcia Megathread 2015: Talking about anything else is banable" :v:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It's fun watching golf today and being able to say, I hit it there when I played or seeing how much father the pros tee off from the tips compared to where we played. We are also ready to go back!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Every single 2nd shot into the 1st green has been better than the one before it. It's insane. Is that hole as much of a mindfuck in person as it looks on TV?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EnsGDT posted:

Every single 2nd shot into the 1st green has been better than the one before it. It's insane. Is that hole as much of a mindfuck in person as it looks on TV?

Holy poo poo is it even more crazy in real life. You really don't get a feel for exactly how much the fairway goes down and then back up to the green.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo. Bubba just hit his drive where I put mine and I was 3 tee boxes forward lol. He's also 60+ yards farther than anyone else has been.

Edit: 355 yard drive lol.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 11, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

"Sergio Garcia Megathread 2015: Talking about anything else is banable" :v:

This.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693961

Here we go!

Kameh fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I'll close this mother down, we had a good run megathread 2013, almost as good as the 2011 thread .

• Locked thread