Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

A tiny bundle of supressed instincts held together by spit and caffeine.

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

Debtor’s Ocean

The single biggest issue with this is its sing-song prosody. The premise is good and some of the imagery works, but the strict iambic ABCB structure of it makes it sound like a nursery rhyme and counteracts any sense of urgency or fear or hopelessness that the poem might be trying to induce.

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

my eyes are bleeding sand,

Also this image doesn't make any sense. Take it out.

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

But while I feign hydration
the gulls begin to dive
They drink of debt as I do
and drown their thirst in lies

This could be interesting, as I like the idea of drinking seawater as a metaphor for indulging in a convenient lie, but it's the end of the poem and we haven't been taken to a different place than the start of the poem, which renders the poem static.

I would suggest recasting this poem as a sonnet in blank verse, which will let you keep the meter but break up the sing-songy rhyme structure that's holding this poem back. Also, in the tradition of sonnets, make the last two lines indicate that something has changed. It can be a very small movement or a big one, but you shouldn't have the beginning and end of the poem be in the same place, i.e., just a guy floating in the ocean with birds.

You've got the bones of a good poem here, you just need to kick the poo poo out of it.

Jisei fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Aug 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Rememberances

Videogames somehow more interesting that real life,
Spending hours of the hours and every moment,
Phantasies of a transient things through a youthful mind,
Bound up in the stasis of school; years desolate of any education,
Manhood made up into blind murder,
Lies, damned lies and half-truths controlling me,
As it seems conquer and slaughter are the only things that fill my belly.

Best Regards,
RG

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

Jisei posted:

Excellent advice

Thanks so much for your thoughtful critique, Jisei. I agree with all of your points. It's time for me to rework this into something more solid!

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

RichardGamingo posted:

Rememberances

Not really sure what this poem has to say except "Video games ate my life and made me a homicidal maniac". It doesn't really move anywhere and reads more like a eulogy than anything else.

quote:

Videogames somehow more interesting that real life,

"Somehow"? How? Show, don't tell.

quote:

Phantasies of a transient things through a youthful mind,

Unless you're making a reference to Phantasy Star (which is neither recent nor particularly violent), not sure why you're going with that spelling.

quote:

Manhood made up into blind murder,

Now, this is a good, musical line. It's the only one I'd keep.

quote:

Lies, damned lies and half-truths controlling me,
As it seems conquer and slaughter are the only things that fill my belly.

This basically seems to be echoing the right wing panic about video games turning kids into killers. Is this what you're going for? It's not a place I would suggest going.

If you want to talk about videogames, I'd suggest either making VG a metaphor for something more urgent and/or lonely (a la David Bowie's "Space Oddity" as a metaphor for suburban isolation and loneliness) or make something else a metaphor for VG (the idea of escape and dissociation).

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Thank you tenderly for lending me yer thoughts on the matter Jisei!

Best Regards,
RG

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
This poem comes very near the end of a play I am writing, and is therefore not intended to stand on its own but more as a summary capstone (like a couplet might end a soliloquy); nevertheless I'm curious what the response might be. Also only some of the play is in verse, and almost none of it in rhyming verse, so this section will stand out in that sense.

She had when we first met that white lace hat upon her head,
its brim blown down before her face and shadow gently shed:
so in my mind she stands upon the strand beyond the sea,
where the wind forever tickles her behind her chubby knee
where, whenever I would tickle her, she always laughed at me;
there – just there –
the flesh behind her coffee-colored, chubby-child knee.
Thus –
though nomad time has come and gone and ev’ry bird has fled,
and time its yurts once built upon the plains where cattle fed,
and time refused the comforts of a sedentary bed;
and though of passersby my mind could not detect a trace;
and though my mind became in time a native of this place –-
still: squat upon some distant mantle stands a granite vase,
and through the air about that urn my desperate hands will trace
and by this movement wish to weave white lace of ghostly thread –-
my feeble-fingered soul cannot encompass this last dread:
my friend – my friend – my dear, sweet, twelve-year-old friend – is dead.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006

nomadologique posted:

I think the second half of this poem is stronger than the fist. I'll focus most of my critique on these first few lines. It's an awkward construction to insert "when we first met" right in the middle of "She had that white lace hat." Can you imagine someone phrasing it this way in earnest? What's wrong with simply: "When we first met she had the white lace hat upon her head"? Also, when you start the third line with "so," you're implying that your mental visualization of her standing beyond the sea is a result of her having worn the hat when you first met, which doesn't make sense.

nomadologique posted:

sedentary bed

This might be a lack of sophistication on my part, but what is a sedentary bed? Is it as opposed to a bed that moves? What contrasts a sedentary bed with a non-sedentary one? Again, maybe this is just my misunderstanding of the word.

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

nomadologique posted:

where the wind forever tickles her behind her chubby knee
where, whenever I would tickle her, she always laughed at me;
there – just there –
the flesh behind her coffee-colored, chubby-child knee.

This works, except for the stumbling meter of the last line. However, this sounds like fondly remembering one's own child as opposed to a peer, as it (especially the last line) infantilizes the subject.

quote:

though nomad time has come and gone and ev’ry bird has fled,
and time its yurts once built upon the plains where cattle fed,
and time refused the comforts of a sedentary bed;

This scans really well, but doesn't make any sense. It's highly imagistic which is good, and I like each line individually, but together as a unit they paint a rather confusing picture and the images don't form a logical arc driving towards a conclusion. On a high level I get that it's a way of saying "time moves on" but the first line says what needs to be said and the next two lines just repeat the same information "poetically" and come off as filler. Which may be common in plays, but I would counter, sure, it's common in bad ones.

(I realize this is the coda to a play, but here we have to judge it as a poem on its own merits, and since this isn't a traditional form like a sonnet or villainelle, there's no need to pad the structure especially since it muddies the water a bit imagistically.)

quote:

and though of passersby my mind could not detect a trace;
and though my mind became in time a native of this place –-

Again, we'd probably know where "this place" is if we saw the play, but as a poem I need to know where "this place" is, and what relevance "passersby" have to the narrative.

quote:

still: squat upon some distant mantle stands a granite vase,
and through the air about that urn my desperate hands will trace

Logic problem: if it's distant, how are you waving your hands around it?

quote:

and by this movement wish to weave white lace of ghostly thread –-
my friend – my friend – my dear, sweet, twelve-year-old friend – is dead.

Meter stumbles again here on the last line. Also, the soul-fingers clash with what I assume are real fingers in the previous few lines; I'd keep one or the other but not both, because now I don't know if the narrator is actually in front of the urn or imagining himself in front of it.

Overall, the poem does have movement, it's image-heavy (a good thing), and evokes the Romantic-era elegaic. It's definitely not a poem I'd recommend throwing out and starting over (as I often do). But its two key issues are internal logical consistency and a kind of affected preciousness that detracts from the reader investing in the sentimental nature of the poem or sharing its sense of loss. Work on these two issues, and don't be afraid to make the poem shorter--you're not getting paid by the word after all--and I think you'll have something really nice here.

Jisei fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 24, 2014

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Thanks for the responses. :)

I think your alteration of the first line makes sense, although the image comes up earlier in the play and for that reason may still prefer the inverted structure. But I was playing with that line and your straightforward version feels very nice.

The "so" comes from just that, although you're misunderstanding it slightly: instead it's "so (with the hat, and with the shadow) she appears in my mind."

Sedentary bed as opposed to nomadic bed. The nomad's bed moves.

Can you tell me how the meter stumbles in the last line of the first "stanza"? "There -- just there --" is deliberately separated because it breaks the meter, and I'm fine with that, but it seems to me the line after follows the meter (child, with a dipthong, having effectively two syllables). Infantilizing is fine, thank you for pointing that out though.

I see what you mean about padding.

I also agree the logic stands out as odd, and have to again magically appeal to the absent play.

I'm most interested in the report of affected sentimentalism, and will have to keep that in mind.

Thanks again. :)

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I took the excellent advice that I got in this thread and worked on revising this piece of mine, as recommended. How does it work now? Any other thoughts on how to improve from here?

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

[Redacted, submitting for potential publication]

Armack fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 13, 2014

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014

Best Regards,
RG
Bravo!

Best Regards,
RG

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I took the excellent advice that I got in this thread and worked on revising this piece of mine, as recommended. How does it work now? Any other thoughts on how to improve from here?

I think that's pretty good, but I'm pretty dumb so don't take my word for it. The only thing I might suggest is that "dead-man's float" sounds a bit odd. Is that a common phrase or action? Like, does it mean you're face-down in the water?

Posting another thing I wrote:

The halls of Baldir Mountain,
Echoed with the screams of men,
Whom had fallen to the wraiths,
That roosted there.

The fingers of the dead ones,
Through their shields and skin alike,
Culled the hordes of young marauders,
Without care.

It was Gertrude of the Seventh Moon,
Who ventured forth with blade,
Borne aloft like holy talisman,
Into the blasted place.

A call like lion's roar was heard,
Within those haunted halls,
As she drove her blade into,
A devil's face.

For seven days and nights the dame,
Grappled ephemeral foes,
Who twixt the cracks of life,
Made shelter there.

And when all was said and done she laid,
Her arms before the tomb and prayed,
To all her pagan gods,
To cleanse their lair.

Tis twenty score years hence,
Since Gertrude sanctified the place,
And not a whisper has been heard,
Within those halls.

Mighty Gertrude stands above,
Her foes both mortal and beyond,
In dens where evils dwell,
She makes them fall.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
I've got a few questions about submitting poems online for publication. I submitted a piece (not the one I posted in this thread) to an online journal that publishes similar pieces. Roughly ten days went by and I did not receive any acknowledgement of receipt for my submission nor any indication that it was under consideration. So I emailed the journal and asked if they would kindly send an acknowledgement of receipt. They eventually got back to me and they were polite about it, but they basically said "Yes we got it but generally our policy is not to acknowledge receipt of poetry submissions prior to any decision being made." My question is how normal is that policy among publishers? If it's normal then how is a poet supposed to know whether her piece is still under consideration as the days eventually turn into weeks and months?

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

Jitzu_the_Monk posted:

I've got a few questions about submitting poems online for publication. I submitted a piece (not the one I posted in this thread) to an online journal that publishes similar pieces. Roughly ten days went by and I did not receive any acknowledgement of receipt for my submission nor any indication that it was under consideration. So I emailed the journal and asked if they would kindly send an acknowledgement of receipt. They eventually got back to me and they were polite about it, but they basically said "Yes we got it but generally our policy is not to acknowledge receipt of poetry submissions prior to any decision being made." My question is how normal is that policy among publishers? If it's normal then how is a poet supposed to know whether her piece is still under consideration as the days eventually turn into weeks and months?

Unfortunately yes, this is standard procedure. It's because of the volume of submissions and the time it would take to respond to each one.

Most publications will list a response window (typically 4-12 weeks, but can sometimes be 6 months or more if it's a annual, quarterly or bi-annual) in their submission guidelines, after which you can assume the poem wasn't selected.

It's a pain for the writer trying to remember what you sent where and whether it's time to resubmit somewhere else, but there it is. When I'm actively submitting I keep a simple spreadsheet of the markets I have submissions out to, the date I sent them, whether they accept simultaneous submissions, and the stated response window. That tends to make things easier.

Jisei fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 14, 2014

Khashie
May 21, 2007
I've been enrolled in a poetry workshop this semester and it's the first time I've ever really written any other than my senior year of high school so here's some stuff I wrote, any critique is welcome.

1. One about a fictional town "Abba Baluga"

That big gray bridge has stood there,
carrying loads of ash and oil.
No allegiance to anyone or anything,
not even the city it was named for.

Abba Baluga, one big beige behemoth.
Thousands of hammers cracking
as men give birth to ships
who leave the harbor as soon as they
get their first taste
of that cold atlantic broth.

Down Abbey Boulevard,
Old CEO's trimming their
kingdoms of Kentucky bluegrass,
wives working away, baking and fussing over
children beleaguered with a sense of dread.

Churches once white,
now browned by the relentless salt air,
adding a bell to the rhythm of the harbor,
saving souls from the depths of hell.

2. One about a drunken thought.

Richmond Nights

I lose my self for days at a time.
Binging on pheromones and Marlboro
Lights dimmed blue in strangers rooms.
Worn brown boots breaching through
butts, bottles, coke residue.
Passing past passed out
Girls and boys get along pretty well
when they're anxious as poo poo,
drinking cheap dry gin.

3. No Abstractions
“Loneliness”

The first time I really met you, you held a newspaper
upside down.
Old waves of leather rolled down your aging face as you
smiled and laughed at me.
You dropped four sugar cubes into my tea.
You held me close, as if I were your son.
You thought that I was your son.

Suddenly, as if violently rebelling against the sugar cubes,
that tea became distinctively bitter.
I wasn’t prepared to become my own father.
I looked up into your glossy eyes,
and I searched for myself,
but all I found was a portrait of your son.

Khashie fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 16, 2014

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

Khashie posted:

That big gray bridge has stood there,
carrying loads of ash and oil.
No allegiance to anyone or anything,
not even the city it was named for.

Abba Baluga, one big beige behemoth.
Thousands of hammers cracking
as men give birth to ships
who leave the harbor as soon as they
get their first taste
of that cold atlantic broth.

Down Abbey Boulevard,
Old CEO's trimming their
kingdoms of Kentucky bluegrass,
wives working away, baking and fussing over
children beleaguered with a sense of dread.

Churches once white,
now browned by the relentless salt air,
adding a bell to the rhythm of the harbor,
saving souls from the depths of hell.

In all these poems, you've got a good sense of alliteration pushing the prosody, which is nice. Here, there are only two real things that stuck out at me, one specific, one general.

First, the lines "Old CEO's trimming their\kingdoms of Kentucky bluegrass" is kind of a nonsensical metaphor, and I can't see whatever the image is you're trying to convey, which isn't a problem anywhere else in the poem. Basically I'm saying it's awkward.

Second is a general issue of the poem itself, which is that it's not really "about" anything. It's just a quick, static vignette, and the poem doesn't really take the reader anywhere or leave them with a sense of anything except "Yep, that's an old town". This is a common issue with beginning poetry writers: poems need to move. The word "metaphor" itself is literally Greek for "to transport". The poem doesn't necessarily have to take a moral stance, or tell a story, but it needs to end up in a different place than it began.

This poem reminds me of some of the poems of Zbigniew Herbert, who wrote a number of poems about fictional and real towns. I highly recommend checking him out.

quote:

Richmond Nights

I lose my self for days at a time.
Binging on pheromones and Marlboro
Lights dimmed blue in strangers rooms.
Worn brown boots breaching through
butts, bottles, coke residue.
Passing past passed out
Girls and boys get along pretty well
when they're anxious as poo poo,
drinking cheap dry gin.

I actually like this pretty well. But it has the same problem of not going anywhere. I'd consider adding a couple of lines at the end, maybe that allude to what drives the narrator to lose himself, maybe pulling back to say something general about Richmond as a city/character and how it's connected/influenced by the events of the poem, maybe something else entirely. For example, why "Richmond Nights?" Why not Topeka? Juneau? Something about the character of the town should intrude into the poem, other than just the fact that the author obviously lived there at some point.

quote:

“Loneliness”

The first time I really met you, you held a newspaper
upside down.

Suddenly, as if violently rebelling against the sugar cubes,
that tea became distinctively bitter.
I wasn’t prepared to become my own father.

1) Leave out "really" in the first line.

2) The tea becoming bitter is a) cliche and b) doesn't make sense in the action of the poem. Is the narrator literally drinking the tea while being held close by the old man? Otherwise how would he know it was bitter?

3) "I wasn’t prepared to become my own father." This line is kind of confusing, particularly in context of the action of the poem. Combined with the last line of the poem, I'm not sure if you're meaning to imply that the crazy old man is actually the narrator's father. If that's not your intention, I'd rewrite this part.

I think you can change just a few lines and have the poem make better sense and flow a little easier. This is just an off-the-cuff suggestion (the removal of italics is intentional):

quote:

“Loneliness”

The first time I met you, you held a newspaper
upside down.

unprepared for fatherhood,

Khashie
May 21, 2007

Jisei posted:

In all these poems, you've got a good sense of alliteration pushing the prosody, which is nice. Here, there are only two real things that stuck out at me, one specific, one general.

First, the lines "Old CEO's trimming their\kingdoms of Kentucky bluegrass" is kind of a nonsensical metaphor, and I can't see whatever the image is you're trying to convey, which isn't a problem anywhere else in the poem. Basically I'm saying it's awkward.

Second is a general issue of the poem itself, which is that it's not really "about" anything. It's just a quick, static vignette, and the poem doesn't really take the reader anywhere or leave them with a sense of anything except "Yep, that's an old town". This is a common issue with beginning poetry writers: poems need to move. The word "metaphor" itself is literally Greek for "to transport". The poem doesn't necessarily have to take a moral stance, or tell a story, but it needs to end up in a different place than it began.

This poem reminds me of some of the poems of Zbigniew Herbert, who wrote a number of poems about fictional and real towns. I highly recommend checking him out.

I actually like this pretty well. But it has the same problem of not going anywhere. I'd consider adding a couple of lines at the end, maybe that allude to what drives the narrator to lose himself, maybe pulling back to say something general about Richmond as a city/character and how it's connected/influenced by the events of the poem, maybe something else entirely. For example, why "Richmond Nights?" Why not Topeka? Juneau? Something about the character of the town should intrude into the poem, other than just the fact that the author obviously lived there at some point.

1) Leave out "really" in the first line.

2) The tea becoming bitter is a) cliche and b) doesn't make sense in the action of the poem. Is the narrator literally drinking the tea while being held close by the old man? Otherwise how would he know it was bitter?

3) "I wasn’t prepared to become my own father." This line is kind of confusing, particularly in context of the action of the poem. Combined with the last line of the poem, I'm not sure if you're meaning to imply that the crazy old man is actually the narrator's father. If that's not your intention, I'd rewrite this part.

I think you can change just a few lines and have the poem make better sense and flow a little easier. This is just an off-the-cuff suggestion (the removal of italics is intentional):

Thank you so much! The first one was supposed to be based off of "Degrees of Gray in Phillipsburg, but I totally get what you're saying and I'll try to apply it to my work. The second one I really had trouble finishing due to a deadline. For the third one it was about my grandfather with Alzheimers, he thought that I was my dad when I first met him, but I now understand that without any context the reader would have no clue as to what I was talking about. Once again thanks a lot for taking the time to read them and critique them :), I hope to be able to contribute to this thread as I progress.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I started this as an exercise to write song lyrics with a sense of atmosphere, but then it got more poemish as I did revisions.

I don't generally write poems, so advice and abuse is appreciated.

quote:

It's early morning and I descend,
Past bile in a bathysphere,
The floodlights flicker at a sickening scend,
Of boiling hope and basic fear.

Sea girls are singing chanties in red and brown wreath,
Stories about the drink and friends trapped beneath.
Throats bend and scream, teasing song from cacophony.
But the chorus comes in a flood and with harmony.

"Us vultures, them buzzards, and you carrion birds,
All savor and slaver for the lost you are grieving.
They drown and they scream, but no sound is heard.
Sailors, swim strong. The water's deep and deceiving.

"It's hopeless. You know it.
The ocean is your casket."

Now the helm is manned by shade or shadow,
A fickle fucker aiming rudder at a sober shallow,
And another early morning when I descend,
Past bile and sweat, through porcelain.

Sails are kept furled. The map can't be trusted.
Our hull is all cracked, and the bilge pumps rusted.
But this ship will still pass from pier to pier,
With captain lashed to mast and sirens' song clear.

"Us vultures, them buzzards, and you carrion birds,
All savor and slaver for the lost that you're grieving.
They drown and they scream, but no sound is heard.
We try to hold on. What are we really achieving?"

"It's hopeless. You know it.
The ocean is your casket."

What we've lost is really gone.
Currents change at dusk and dawn.
And another early morning when my body descends,
Past bile. To the bottom where it finally ends.

edit: Made another few small revisions.

itsgotmetoo fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 20, 2014

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Bouquets and brickbats both welcome...

Now
---

Another day, another bother
Daylight finds me
Despite my best efforts

Dawn breaks and so I don
The clasping bonds of consequence
They enrobe me, they enfold me
They inform my every move

To move, always to move
From thought to thought
And place to place
Always with the shrouded trace
Of promise and regret

The time, the date
Are always late
Every now becomes then
And then becomes when
When?
Then?
Or now?
It must be now
It is always now

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

itsgotmetoo posted:

I started this as an exercise to write song lyrics with a sense of atmosphere, but then it got more poemish as I did revisions.

I don't generally write poems, so advice and abuse is appreciated.

edit: Made another few small revisions.

This is wicked delightful. The vocabulary and meter convey a really strong sense of setting, I can imagine what the concertina solos in the music would be like. I like it.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The_Raven posted:

Bouquets and brickbats both welcome...

Now
---

Daylight finds me
Despite my best efforts

Dawn breaks and so I don

To move, always to move
From thought to thought
And place to place
Of promise and regret

The time, the date
Are always late
Every now becomes then
And then becomes when
When?
Then?
Or now?
It must be now
It is always now

Overall, I feel like you could steal lines and ideas from this.

There are a few issues that make me feel like it doesn't work right now, though.

quote:

Daylight finds me
Despite my best efforts

I like the parallel structure and alliteration in the first stanza. It really contrasts with the rest of the poem in diction and meter, though.

quote:

Dawn breaks and so I don

This is really tonally different from the first stanza, and it feels jarring.

Clasping bonds feels a little redundant and cliche.

"Clasping," "bonds," "enrobe," "enfold," and "consequence" are words that really make your choice of "inform" in the last line of the second stanza confuse the sense of force you are trying to convey.

quote:

To move, always to move
From thought to thought
And place to place
Of promise and regret

Shrouded trace feels a little redundant, also.

I am not a fan of starting the third stanza with the infinitive when the speaker/narrator was the object of the second stanza. I do like the idea of lines 2, 3, and 5 here, though. You have similarity, similarity, and then contrast.

quote:

The time, the date
Are always late
Every now becomes then
And then becomes when
When?
Then?
Or now?
It must be now
It is always now

I like the thematic and tonal unity of this stanza. Every line is about time, and every line flows to the next. I really like the meter and contrast in lines 3 and 4. I also really hate the last two lines.

There are definitely some interesting ideas that you could self-plagiarize here, but without revision it doesn't really mesh very well.

itsgotmetoo
Oct 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I'm posting a few raw poems that I wrote months ago and haven't revised yet, because this thread shouldn't be so dead and I know there's terrible terrible crap in them.

quote:

We could sink into this sandy dream.
Forever, like it was meant to be.
Or we can face the tide when it's strong.
And though our lungs might fail and be filled,
With ocean water in our wide and salted jail.
At least there would have been briefly a song.

There's a joke that we play on the newly created,
A cruelty passed on by our lust when it's sated.
(Happiness could be a gone for good.
A memory stuck between was and should.)
If I saw it I might hold it ransom,
Seeing it come and go at random.

But you're you and I'm me,
Or we're we, and they always say,
Your heart beats knowing the price we pay.

quote:

This is it -- So it ends!
Thought heaven's host would attend,
Clear our demons,
A scene that's pure -- worth exaltation

No. I guess it's on us.
Call the choir.
Fill out the chorus.
And strike up the band,
To play until we cannot stand.

I hope there's drums still beating,
A rhythm endlessly repeating,
And it fills and shakes the whole damned place.
As strangers dance as if to syncopate.

I guess it's all one me,
Left with only a ghostly beat.
And I will sing as loud as I can.
I promise.
I swear.
Cause I never sang enough when you were there.

itsgotmetoo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 13, 2014

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

Hi, here are two poems I wrote in the last few days. I did some poetry in high school, but these are the first few I've done in over a decade. They take around 20 minutes a piece for this kind of short form, and I'm finding much joy in writing again. Will take any critique from praise to death sentence. Just trying to improve.

"Old House"

A step is taken,
Bare foot on wood,
Silence betrayed by their groans.

As walls stalk my tread,
Shadows grow shorter,
Then, no quarter.

Now, a door with keyhole beckons,
What lies behind, obscure,
Its lock to pressure, inure.

Body bent, to will, to dare,
Once meant a glance,
Turned deadlocked stare,
With crystal chill,
I say a prayer.

"Illusion"

Where black meets white,
Space made possible,
Range of dark to light,
Form an Earthen soul.

Spirals in and spirals out,
Moves with indiscretion,
Leaving me, approaching you,
Continues on, with its precession.

Half the truth and half deception,
Forsake our qualms,
It's all perception,
One step forward, one recession.

Calm fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 10, 2015

Calm
Apr 7, 2006

One more I did last night.

"Katabatic"

She grips us like an iron wench,
Tracks were left, but time won't tell,
Pressed upon our lives, we clench,
In blinding white, is where we fell.

Release your thoughts,
Release your breath,
Embrace your fear,
It's only death.

Sweeping like a sickle's blade,
Skims the ground with striking speed,
Our warmth all gone, our debts are paid,
We close our eyes, our final deed.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Calm posted:

Release your thoughts,
Release your breath,
Embrace your fear,
It's only death.
It's going to be really hard to release my thoughts/breath when I'm embracing my fear. Fear kinda gets my thoughts and breaths racing. Also, it's only death? Death is kind of a big deal.

Calm posted:

Sweeping like a sickle's blade,
Skims the ground with striking speed,
Our warmth all gone, our debts are paid,
We close our eyes, our final deed.

Am I being killed by a frosty wind or being lulled to sleep by mom on a winter's night?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've always liked photography, I recently started drawing, and now I'm trying poetry. I'm hooked on expression.

A new Woman asking Old Feminists

teachers, poets and machine coffee crema
a two euro field trip, me a stranger in their home

a cheap price to pay for confusion, art and smells
and stark vision without vibrance
or lack of affect

I feared these people
Women bringing me Emily Dickinson
Whose sense was breaking through
A beating drum at every plunge.

Sonorous faded to a final world's murmur.

Where I was a stranger is now my home
One steady rhythm, a new familiar fear
Am I still a stranger?

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 31, 2015

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Ok, that was awful (I guess I've learned a little in four days of writing poems.) Something lighter...

Red Nosed Fat gently caress

I thought I'd buy a bottle
of wine
to sit
away from here
in my room or the grey
mottled sunken chair
I painted with gold light despair
A bottle of
red
in that tense walled trap
calls me to drink
with abandon beneath
feet and piss
and commerce carved chapel's steps
but
I'm a good girl
so I'll sit in this bar
with my putrid red
and putrid red
nosed fat gently caress
asking me
"How are ye, boy,,,"
looking at me like
he's not an underwear
wrapped
poo poo

Red Nosed Fat gently caress - Addendum

there's a taste to life
and a pace to drinking
that sobriety demands to
match the two
so when ten or eight
have called a Murphy's
and I drink Beamish
I'm left to wonder
what's with the decor
do I fit in
Am I so alien?
the putrid gently caress
of course drinks a lager

(Murphy's and Beamish are both stouts.)

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've just started writing and I'm worried about something that's cropping up: all my writing is incredibly personal. It's about what I feel, have felt a long time, putting into words thoughts that plague me. It's all a little emo. But I also find the best poetry shares something of the poet. It might not reveal them, and lay bare their deepest self unless expressed through a relationship with a cat, or kettle, but there's something there of them.

I went to a poetry reading on Monday, and I was bored (but not too bored) by the poet because he seemed to give over to high falutin' thoughts borne by inanimate objects and even spoke about of how he reached for a thesaurus. None of that seems in any way to be driven by something coming from the person. Now I fully accept that maybe I didn't engage with his poetry, and that there's something deeply felt to it, why write if not?

But I'm left to wonder how can I read out loud and expect other people, with valued indifference look at me and judge what I wrote? And of course I also wonder if what I'm writing is just too fcuking caught up in myself and can speak to no-one but me?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

Well, you're asking the right questions.

Nobody here can answer them for you, but if you attempt to answer them through the writing itself, who knows what will happen.

There isn't any art that isn't experimental; these considerations of living affect, communication, meaning, value... you will have to investigate them through practice. Every new work will offer new solutions, and you will keep going from there, learning and changing as you go, along with your work.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Some people write very personal poetry, some try to write stuff that is heavily based on the society they live in, some attempt to reach something "universal", if you naturally write a certain way then by all means keep doing that, some people will like it because it's clearly very personal and important to you, some people won't like it because they feel you're being too sincere and bearing your soul to a bunch of people that don't really care to hear about your problems. Just try to write what comes naturally, and perfect writing it as well as you can so at least people that think you're being an exhibitionist can't help but feel you've got talent.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I recently learned about double dactyls, which are silly poems with a very rigid formula, and I've been trying to get a better understanding of poetic structure so here's a double dactyl:

Jiggery pokery
Kurt Godel's maths theory
Broke the whole system and
Made Russell cry

Misrepresenting it:
Kurt's paper argued that
Ubermathematically
"This line's a lie."

CestMoi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 13, 2015

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Haha double dactyls own, yours is pretty funny too. Now I want to try writing one.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Zesty Mordant posted:

Haha double dactyls own, yours is pretty funny too. Now I want to try writing one.

You should, they're really fun! Have another:

Caltrops and candlesticks
My favourite relative
Old as the hills and a
Sailor from birth.

Lucky she was because
God sent down rains and my
Antediluvian
Never saw turf.

NewsGunkie
Jul 23, 2007
Sometimes, there's a clog in the pipelines.
EDIT: Realized this was a bad idea with active submissions out.

NewsGunkie fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 2, 2015

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
Speck on the flag

There’s a speck on the flag
and we’ve tried everything to remove it

We tried to pick it out
flick it back to where it came from,
but it’s still there

We scrubbed it with holy water
and beat it dry with the Christian cross
to no avail

We tried to hide the speck
cover it up so it’s no longer visible
but you can’t look at the flag without seeing it

There’s a speck on the flag
and nevermind that we put it there
it’s been there a long, long time

But it bothers us
So we have a plan
A glorious plan

We’re gonna use bleach
we’re gonna bleach that flag until the red and the blue fades
until there is just one solid color left,
white

And it will be the brightest white you’ve ever seen
whiter than Scandinavian snow
whiter than the pillars of congress themselves

And we’re gonna wave that white flag
until everyone forgets
how we soiled it

s7indicate3
Aug 22, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
AND I OFFER UNTO SOMETHINGAWFUL AN ANUS TO TEAR

"We are all alone,
born alone and
die alone.
I do not say lonely
--at least not all the time--
but ultimately and finally
alone."

Thompson shook my world with those words,
Pulled back my curtain to reveal an empty venue.
All the chairs filled w/ frustrating potential
which is to say completely empty.

You will see spectral shadows among the empty seats.
A father who drank too much
perhaps, perhaps
a mother who cared too little
perhaps, perhaps
too much was expected of you
perhaps, perhaps
you are your own fault.

I wish
(I really truly do)
I could tell you that you danced anyways
b/c you have nothing to prove to anyone but yourself,
b/c you are the master of your own destiny,
b/c one must imagine Sisyphus happy;
carpe diem and all that.

Instead of hanging your head between your knees
letting out a muffled scream,
so as not to alarm the chairs.

Because you are human,
you feel.
You feel that Camus makes a lot of sense,
you feel like salvation is within you,
but ultimately,
you will feel frustrated.

You will scream;
alarming the chairs.
They stare.
That stupid blank
stare.
Vacuous yet alarmed.

Suddenly you might find yourself.
Or perhaps you might only feel that way.
B/c who knows who's who?

You are among the spectral spectators,
staring back at yourself,
your pathetic little head
hanging between your(?) knees.

PilslopWick
May 8, 2015
2+2=3

The end of the world
Standing on a corner
Nowhere to go, no time left to grow
Everything is right before us
Night's wrapping,
There's movements in the shadows,
It's that special time
The final questions are being asked
What does the end even mean?
No more hangovers?
Twist your head back in its place, this is our last chance
It's too late for wishes
The time to watch is over
Let desires become motions
There will be no sit-ins, no processions
Tomorrow the earth falls off the edge
And into the snake pit
Buildings will burn
Canyons will shake
The rats will rise from the sewers
Turn your eyes off
Start loving the night

Don't stop, don't ask
Poise, dance,
Attack, enchant
We'll dance until the bomb drops,
Foaming at the mouth
Don't let your eyes get shifty,
We're all spirits soft to the touch
Fire, fire, fire
Rise, rise, rise
Why weren't we like this before?
Did anything ever matter?
The call for destructions made us crazy
Don't let rapture sway
Stomp your feet
All the rules are gone
Twisted faces show through the woodwork
As the moon eats through the streetlights
Skyscrapers shrink in the fire
2+2=3

So that's it
That different time of our fathers never happened
What's the point in even talking about it anyways?
It's been the end the whole time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

I had posted a version of this some time ago and got a few helpful comments. Here is another, slightly altered version; it's not much different but I think, for that, quite a bit stronger. For those not interested in reading upthread, it's intended as a poetic coda for a play I'm writing, where the protagonist reflects on her dead childhood friend, who features prominently in the play. Now in sonnet form! Lemme know what you think.

its brim blown down across her face and shadow gently shed,
as in my mind she stands upon the strand beyond the sea,
where the wind forever tickles her as gently as can be
where, whenever I would tickle her, she always laughed at me:
the flesh behind her coffee-colored chubby-child knee.
Though nomad time has come and gone and ev'ry bird has fled,
and time refused the comforts of a sedentary bed
to travel over th' vast and empty plains where cattle fed,
upon some spectral mantle yet remains a mason vase,
and through the air about that urn my desp'rate hands make trace,
as if by anxious motion weaving lace of ghostly thread;
my friend -- my friend -- my dear, sweet, twelve-year old friend is dead.

• Locked thread