Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is from pages ago, but how is the submissions process, if you don't mind? I'm thinking of trying to break into comics as a writer and I love the hell out of 2000AD, so submitting a Future Shock or two seems like a reasonable enough way to go about it.
I didn't go about it the normal way; I originally wrote and drew the story for my own 'zine, and a 2000AD artist (Mike Hadley) saw it and liked it enough to want to redraw it for 2000AD, so asked whoever was Tharg at the time to buy it. In the end it was drawn by Tim Bollard, and I got (I think) £65 for the story. (That was in 1990, no idea what the page rate is now.) I later tried submitting more stories, but they were all rejected. :smith:

The 2000AD website has submissions guidelines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Now that I've finished The Final Solution what other stories in the Strontium Dogs universe would people recommend?

Got really mixed feelings on it like I'm sure most do but Alpha & Wulf in Mega City was great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flython posted:

Now that I've finished The Final Solution what other stories in the Strontium Dogs universe would people recommend?

Got really mixed feelings on it like I'm sure most do but Alpha & Wulf in Mega City was great.

None with Johnny Alpha. The classic run was where he peaked. The Durham Red series (The Scarlet Cantos, The Vermin Stars, The Empty Suns) are worth looking at if only for the art.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah Final Solution is the pinnacle of Strontium Dog. I didn't think the follow on Strontium Dogs with Feral & The Gronk vs The Lyran Sorcerers was bad at all, not sure where they went with it after that. Really didn't like the change of artist for whatever reason from Simon Harrison to Colin MacNeil either on FS, I like MacNeil's stuff but it's massively jarring given Harrison was pretty unique in his style. Not sure if it was to do with the break and/or 2000AD going full colour at that time but still.

Did they retcon Alpha & Wulf's deaths or are they untold stories from back in the day that come after?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Goldskull posted:

Yeah Final Solution is the pinnacle of Strontium Dog. I didn't think the follow on Strontium Dogs with Feral & The Gronk vs The Lyran Sorcerers was bad at all, not sure where they went with it after that. Really didn't like the change of artist for whatever reason from Simon Harrison to Colin MacNeil either on FS, I like MacNeil's stuff but it's massively jarring given Harrison was pretty unique in his style. Not sure if it was to do with the break and/or 2000AD going full colour at that time but still.

Did they retcon Alpha & Wulf's deaths or are they untold stories from back in the day that come after?

They're untold stories.

You're the first person I've seen who thought the switch to MacNeil was bad. Most people think Harrison's run was ugly coming after Ezquerra's, and MacNeil is the artist whose style comes closest to that of Super Squirrel.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Yeah, MacNeil's earliest black-and-white work for 2000AD (Future Shocks, a couple of Dredds) was very much Ezquerra-inspired, before he developed his own style.

Simon Harrison was a weird choice for one of 2000AD's flagship strips, as his style at that stage was pretty cartoony and raw - he certainly hadn't fully developed it, so dropping a world-changing Strontium Dog epic onto him was a hell of a trial by fire.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

I just really like Harrison's work, pity he doesn't seem to be doing anything these days. his fully painted stuff on Revere and the Bradley Fairy Tales was amazing, and at least he wasn't a Bisley clone.

MacNeil was always a better fit for Dredd anyway. I was reading some of that really early SD work the other day, it's less 'Ezquerra influenced' and more 'looks like he traced everything from earlier Ezquerra SD strips, right down to the trademark thick dashed line around foreground characters'. Chopper & America are classics though.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Goldskull posted:

Well. The SD revival started off as untold stories, the first being based on the script treatment Wagner produced for the Showtime series that never was. That was the case for the best part of a decade.

However, in the last five years he's actually gone as far as bringing Alpha back from the dead in the "Life and Death of Johnny Alpha" storyline, which retcons the end of FInal Solution so Johnny's body was preserved by magic rather than completely destroyed. Whether this was a necessary thing is questionable. I normally respect Wagner's choices and I understand why he felt the need to deal with what he saw as "unfinished business", but personally I think it should never have happened, not least because it cheapens one of the great gut-punch endings in comics. At the time It kind of summed-up the entire ethos of 2000AD, the fact that even main characters could die and stay dead, and not just be brought back by another writer the following month.

At least he resisted the temptation to bring Wulf back as well.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I'm glad this thread is here, I've never really been much of a comics fan except for 2000AD and particularly Dredd. I started reading 2000AD as a lad in the mid-80s and also read the Megazine in its first few years.
I had the Complete Case Files 25 & Origins arrive earlier this week. I've only given Origins a quick read but I thought it was one of the very best Dredd stories. Going to give it a revisit very soon.

I note that the President seems to have a Trump-style toupee....

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

biglads posted:

I note that the President seems to have a Trump-style toupee....
Draw your own conclusions:

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
The Jolly Green Giant: released at last

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Goddamn, I thought I'd never see the day. Not that those issues were particularly good, mind you, or that the story is harmed by their absence, but still.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
http://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=631

She's looking pretty good!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So: IDW have rebooted their Judge Dredd from #1 this week. This time it's not a retread of the original stories, but an original story with some really heavy influence from Mad Max 3 and Mad Max: Fury Road. Despite that, it's quite fun and has a lot of potential to take Dredd somewhere completely new.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I will be in London for a couple of days, anyone know where I might pick up some cheap, second-hand Case Files? Or any good places for used books and comic books over there, while we are at it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Cursed Earth full reprint turned up today!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

biglads posted:

Cursed Earth full reprint turned up today!

Should add for those who missed the memo, this reprint includes Burger Wars and Giants Aren't Gentlemen. I believe the centre spreads are also in the original colour.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rocks that 2000AD is hitting issue 2000 soon. And also awesome that a Wagner and Ezquerra Dredd is gonna be in that one. The best!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Jedit posted:

Should add for those who missed the memo, this reprint includes Burger Wars and Giants Aren't Gentlemen. I believe the centre spreads are also in the original colour.

They are, it's also a nice hardback and has very thick glossy paper.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I got the latest Mega Collections, and boy, were they a reminder of just how bad the 1990s Ennis/Millar/Morrison run on Dredd was compared to Wagner. Dredd himself may have been a satire of the 1970s Dirty Harry-style 'tough cop', but they write him (deliberately or unintentionally) as a parody of a satire, and it becomes as stupid as Horatio Caine's pre-YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH one-liners. Dredd strikes a tough pose; Dredd spouts a hard-rear end comment; Dredd does something gratuitously brutal. (There's also a distinct tendency for the bad guys to direct their own gratuitous brutality against women, particularly in 'Inferno', which could be the writers' laddish "tee hee, look how transgressive we are!" attitude, or something deeper and nastier bubbling to the surface.)

When you have one of the writers describing his own work as poo poo in the accompanying interview ('Judgement Day') or the current editor of 2000AD introducing a collection with a disclaimer that he thinks the writers didn't know how to write Dredd properly ('Inferno'), you do have to wonder why these stories were included in what's supposed to be a best-of collection at all. (Other than maybe "we need to get Morrison, Millar and Ennis's names on as many covers as possible!")

Also, I know that continuity complaints and "that's not how things work!" objections in comics are the height of sperginess, but both 'Inferno' and 'Helter Skelter' involve a small group of bad guys taking over the Grand Hall of Justice, and from that controlling the entire city - ignoring the dozens if not hundreds of sector houses and other Justice Department facilities with their own forces, air support, tanks, Mantas and other military-grade hardware that could be used to retake it. When Wagner did a coup in 'Doomsday', he did it properly across the entire city - and set it up years in advance!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Payndz posted:

I got the latest Mega Collections, and boy, were they a reminder of just how bad the 1990s Ennis/Millar/Morrison run on Dredd was compared to Wagner. Dredd himself may have been a satire of the 1970s Dirty Harry-style 'tough cop', but they write him (deliberately or unintentionally) as a parody of a satire, and it becomes as stupid as Horatio Caine's pre-YYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH one-liners. Dredd strikes a tough pose; Dredd spouts a hard-rear end comment; Dredd does something gratuitously brutal. (There's also a distinct tendency for the bad guys to direct their own gratuitous brutality against women, particularly in 'Inferno', which could be the writers' laddish "tee hee, look how transgressive we are!" attitude, or something deeper and nastier bubbling to the surface.)

When you have one of the writers describing his own work as poo poo in the accompanying interview ('Judgement Day') or the current editor of 2000AD introducing a collection with a disclaimer that he thinks the writers didn't know how to write Dredd properly ('Inferno'), you do have to wonder why these stories were included in what's supposed to be a best-of collection at all. (Other than maybe "we need to get Morrison, Millar and Ennis's names on as many covers as possible!")

Also, I know that continuity complaints and "that's not how things work!" objections in comics are the height of sperginess, but both 'Inferno' and 'Helter Skelter' involve a small group of bad guys taking over the Grand Hall of Justice, and from that controlling the entire city - ignoring the dozens if not hundreds of sector houses and other Justice Department facilities with their own forces, air support, tanks, Mantas and other military-grade hardware that could be used to retake it. When Wagner did a coup in 'Doomsday', he did it properly across the entire city - and set it up years in advance!

Well said! Got JD Case Files 27 recently, very nice to see John Wagner the only writer listed on the cover, along with the artists. He's my favorite writer, easily one of the all time greats. And handy that he's had such great artists along the way too.

Listened to an awesome 3+ hour podcast interview with Wagner recently, very cool. It's in three parts, here's a link to the first one, the rest are on that 2000AD thrillcast soundcloud page. https://soundcloud.com/2000-ad/the-2000-ad-thrill-cast-10-february-2016

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 9, 2016

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016
Does anyone know if there's a Strontium Dogs collection out there? I checked the Rebellion store but didn't see anything. I just finished Strontium Dog: The Final Solution and would like to see what other characters in that series get up to when Alpha's not around.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I picked up Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 12, the latest collection released in the U.S. They've improved so much with this one. It's in color now for the first time, printed on nice glossy paper instead of newsprint, and they finally fixed the issue with the text running down into the binding so you couldn't read it.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm super happy with how much better the production quality is with this one.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

gus rules ok posted:

Does anyone know if there's a Strontium Dogs collection out there? I checked the Rebellion store but didn't see anything. I just finished Strontium Dog: The Final Solution and would like to see what other characters in that series get up to when Alpha's not around.

This site 2000ad.org is an awesome resource, here's the page for Strontium Dogs: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=2000AD&choice=stronts

For a while Judge Dredd Megazine has been packaged with an included "floppy" reprint collection of some comics. The first 60 page Strontium Dogs story is included with Meg #295 for example, and more in #305 etc, so that'd be one way to get it. Just make sure wherever you'd buy it from includes the floppy, unless getting it digitally which does include it for sure. I've never read that and have heard not good things, I do have some of those floppies though. Recently Strontium Dog comics do take place after The Final Solution though, you can see what John Wagner says happens with the story The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha.

I love that story Top Dog by the way, fun Judge Dredd / Strontium Dog crossover.

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I picked up Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 12, the latest collection released in the U.S. They've improved so much with this one. It's in color now for the first time, printed on nice glossy paper instead of newsprint, and they finally fixed the issue with the text running down into the binding so you couldn't read it.

I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I'm super happy with how much better the production quality is with this one.

Just wait till you see Case Files 14! Necropolis with the very groovy watercolory looking color Carlos Ezquerra art is where it's at.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Aug 11, 2016

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

Heavy Metal posted:

This site 2000ad.org is an awesome resource, here's the page for Strontium Dogs: http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&Comic=2000AD&choice=stronts

For a while Judge Dredd Megazine has been packaged with an included "floppy" reprint collection of some comics. The first 60 page Strontium Dogs story is included with Meg #295 for example, and more in #305 etc, so that'd be one way to get it. Just make sure wherever you'd buy it from includes the floppy, unless getting it digitally which does include it for sure. I've never read that and have heard not good things, I do have some of those floppies though. Recently Strontium Dog comics do take place after The Final Solution though, you can see what John Wagner says happens with the story The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha.

I love that story Top Dog by the way, fun Judge Dredd / Strontium Dog crossover.

Thank you! I would never have thought to check the Megazine. That site's going to come in real handy too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow, after 29 years Dredd finally killed PJ Maybe. Although I'm wondering if it's really the end - the whole business with the split personality didn't get nearly as much payoff as such a major development would seem to deserve, and it lacked the usual PJ's dyslexic diary format. On the other hand, it was a pretty decisive way to go out - three deaths in one!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Payndz posted:

Wow, after 29 years Dredd finally killed PJ Maybe. Although I'm wondering if it's really the end - the whole business with the split personality didn't get nearly as much payoff as such a major development would seem to deserve, and it lacked the usual PJ's dyslexic diary format. On the other hand, it was a pretty decisive way to go out - three deaths in one!

Holy poo poo. By this point I had long ruled out any chance of it happening.

:(

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Definite mixed feelings about that. It felt very meat and potatoes, tie a bow on it we're done, kind of ending and I'm not sure I believe it with that character.

I guess we'll see over the next year or two if that was him or only a crazy/mind controlled clone/person.

Man marvel and dc have made me cynical about character deaths.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

robziel posted:

Definite mixed feelings about that. It felt very meat and potatoes, tie a bow on it we're done, kind of ending and I'm not sure I believe it with that character.

I guess we'll see over the next year or two if that was him or only a crazy/mind controlled clone/person.

Man marvel and dc have made me cynical about character deaths.

I mean P.J.'s "died" almost as many times as Judge Death has by this point, and this death was really perfunctory, plus the unaccounted no diary and the voice in his head, although maybe that was introduced with the death of his robot girlfriend I can't quite remember.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Did we ever find out how PJ escaped being killed by Judge Death at the start of 'Dark Justice'? My memory's fuzzy, but I think he didn't turn up again until 'Serial Serial', and even then only offscreen via the letters to Dredd.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Well, poo poo. Steve Dillon (definitely one of the 'classic era' Dredd artists) just died. :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oh poo poo, that's bad. Jimmy Perry died too, gently caress 2016.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Grr. Hachette did a special offer on the Dredd Mega-Collection over New Year's: all books half price! So I ordered all the essential ones I needed to catch up, plus some of the spin-off stories I didn't really fancy at full whack. £100 of books for £50 - great!

...except that when I tried to go to the checkout, all I got was an "Error: unable to process" message. Which when I tried again today had disappeared so everything was working normally - only all the books in my basket had strangely reverted to full price. Fuckers!

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Yeah, The Mega Collection's really nice but hatchette aren't the most competent of companies and their website is poo poo.

Their support has been on the ball every time I've had to deal with them though - they refunded and replaced a duplicate book I got sent.

They haven't actually noticed that I haven't sent the dupe back though, but I probably will get round to it eventually because what the gently caress am I gonna do with an extra copy of Doomsday for MC1?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I haven't gone through all 11 pages of the thread, but if it hasn't been mentioned before, the Future Shock! The Story of 2000AD documentary is really good so far (I'm about 30 minutes in.) It's got surprisingly high production values, and the opening credit animations are great. I pretty much only read Judge Dredd, but the whole origin of 2000AD is pretty interesting.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

The Dead Man was collected as a separate volume. It's absolutely worth picking up, and it wasn't included in the CFs because they ran concurrently with Dredd rather than in main continuity. John Ridgway was a great artist - I say was, he's not dead but is mostly retired now.
Aw hell. Are there any other books missing from the Case Files? I've got "America" so that isn't a concern...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

berzerkmonkey posted:

Aw hell. Are there any other books missing from the Case Files? I've got "America" so that isn't a concern...

Not so far. Looking ahead Doomsday ran two stories concurrently but split betwen 2000AD and the Megazine, so both sides of the story should appear. Long term - we're talking a decade away at the current release rate - Trifecta was three concurrent stories in 2000AD, so two parts will probably be skipped. There's also ancillary stories set in MC-1 like Low Life, The Simping Detective, Insurrection and Banzai Battalion that we can presume won't appear (the first two being the other parts of Trifecta).

Most of the important Megazine stories are Anderson stories, so they appear in the Psi-Files.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I picked up Origins. Am I alone in thinking that it really wasn't all that great? Yeah, it was cool seeing some of the back story fleshed out, but I really didn't think it was all that well written - one glaring instance was the gang that attacks the Judges twice, both times ending in someone asking for help, and both times a Judge shooting them. It's like Wagner forgot they already did that scene. And, oh lord, the chin mutation.

I really think they could have done a better story in half the page count. Or maybe I just forgot about how silly Cursed Earth stories are...

• Locked thread