Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Xarlaxas posted:

Are the international Kickstarter copies of Last Stand still being shipped out? I've not gotten mine yet and I just want to make sure it hasn't been lost en route. :)

I managed to get a few of the international copies are on their way, but yours hasn't gone out yet unfortunately. If you'd like I can PM you once it's on the way.

If anyone's looking for advice on how to introduce players to Last Stand's combat, I wrote up a quick guide with three sample encounters and an explanation of what game elements they teach. You can find it at http://tinyurl.com/invadersforbeginners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
A PM would be lovely Mikan, I'm moving continents in November so I was just wanting to know where my copy was in the whole shipping process. :)

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Hey folks, if you're in the US or we've talked over PM/email about your copy of Last Stand recently please send me a message. I just got back a stack of about ten Last Stand books as undelivered and I don't know how many didn't actually end up arriving. Glad I ordered all these extras, at least.

At least shipping is almost over, and there will be an update soon about how I'll handle box sets + the Ragnarok cover.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

Mikan, is it still your intention to mail the books and cards to collector edition backers before the rest of the package is complete, or did you decide to wait and send the complete product? Do you have any updates with regard to the collector edition?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Everyone should have had their cards/books a month ago at the latest, but I've found a number of folks are still without. I'm shipping replacements for US backers/preorders, and going through Kyle Simons for the international backers since just about all of the international orders didn't make it. Kyle ran his entire Magicians kickstarter out of Korea, so the dude is clearly a wizard when it comes to international shipping.
We're finalizing details before I do an official update about that, though. I want to make sure everything's sorted.

Collector's edition is a little more complicated, but there will be a KS update about that soon too.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
So its been a while since we got any news about the other FS games. How are they coming along?

Alternatively, any news on when the next Funhaver Annual will be out?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I got the PDF and POD from drivethru, which came with all the cards and suits as individual image files. Are there any files that collect them on one page for ease of printing and cutting out?

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I got the PDF and POD from drivethru, which came with all the cards and suits as individual image files. Are there any files that collect them on one page for ease of printing and cutting out?

There are, but I'm away from home without access to a real computer. I'll post them as soon as I can or pester Dagon since I think he had something similar.

Ceetee posted:

So its been a while since we got any news about the other FS games. How are they coming along?

Alternatively, any news on when the next Funhaver Annual will be out?

After the new year, when I get home, I'll post a full status report for everything. I've got cool news for a lot of projects, including the Fortune Engine and the Last Stand Companion with the base construction/giant robot rules.

Ceetee
Feb 14, 2013
Pact Breaker sounds pretty neat. Looking forward to it.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Last Stand: Reinforcements is now a kickstarter that is happening!

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Please someone fork over the $300 so it can be renamed LAST STAND 2: LAST STANDER.

That's a thing that needs to happen.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Last Stand: Reinforcements is now a kickstarter that is happening!

Oh, cool. Still, I'll probably hold back on pledging until I hear anything about when I can expect my copy from the first kickstarter. International shipping seems to have gone pretty awfully for this project.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 4, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's the main reason there's no shipping on this project, or rather that the shipping is handled entirely by a third party which has all the facilities to handle it.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

That's the main reason there's no shipping on this project, or rather that the shipping is handled entirely by a third party which has all the facilities to handle it.

Yeah, especially now that DTRPG does cards too there's very little reason to handle printing and shipping yourself as the project manager any more. Possibly if you think there's a chance of getting your book into game shops, but that doesn't seem at all worth the cost.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
And even if you get them into game stores, it's usually cost effective to order the book through PoD services and ship them via third party anyway. At least if you're doing small print runs.

As for contacting Mikan, if you have PMs I can help you with that no problem.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
How important is being able to shuffle the cards that are mentioned during play and be able to treat them as an actual card deck? Er, better question, how friendly is this game to being able to be played in IRC without having to use roll20/google hangouts?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Zerilan posted:

How important is being able to shuffle the cards that are mentioned during play and be able to treat them as an actual card deck? Er, better question, how friendly is this game to being able to be played in IRC without having to use roll20/google hangouts?
The cards aren't that important. The only time you need to randomize them is at the beginning when you're building characters, and that's easy enough to work around. That said, in a RL game I really enjoy having the physical props. But that's not expected in an online game anyway.

The game really wants a map to play on though, so just IRC might not be ideal.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Only two days left on the Last Stand: Reinforcements kickstarter! Go give it a backing, this expansion lets you play XCOM: the RPG.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Still not called LAST STAND 2: LAST STANDER because this is the worst hobby.

Finally getting a break from D&D and going to shanghai the group into running this.

They will have fun.

It will be awesome.

Invaders will gently caress up Brisbane for the betterment of all.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Are the physical copies of these games going to be for sale? I missed the kickstarter and only just now heard about Mikan's retirement.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Retirement? :( I know he got kicked from the forums, what's this about a retirement?

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Not kicked, left. And it turns out the RPG hobby is a miserable place, so Mikan ejected.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

InfiniteJesters posted:

Retirement? :( I know he got kicked from the forums, what's this about a retirement?

You know how one of the reasons people got mad when Zak S was thanked in D&D 5e's credits is because he says someone is horrible on his blog and then acts surprised when his fans give them poo poo until they leave that part of the internet entirely? Let's just say Mikan held out longer than most and leave it at that.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, there's a lot more to it than that, but I'm not sure if I'm telling people too little and giving them a wrong view on the situation or telling people too much and ruining Mikan's privacy as it is. So yeah, Asymmetrikon pretty much sums it all up.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 6, 2014

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Impermanent posted:

Are the physical copies of these games going to be for sale? I missed the kickstarter and only just now heard about Mikan's retirement.

Pretty sure Last Stand is PoD on Amazon.com still, and similarly sure that other Fortune stuff will be too. I mean, I'm going to straight up do it myself for Ragnarök if I have to!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't think any single event in the games industry has depressed me more than Mikan's (understandable, probably correct) decision to leave. Thank you for pointing out the POD link at Amazon.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Lurks With Wolves posted:

You know how one of the reasons people got mad when Zak S was thanked in D&D 5e's credits is because he says someone is horrible on his blog and then acts surprised when his fans give them poo poo until they leave that part of the internet entirely? Let's just say Mikan held out longer than most and leave it at that.

EDIT: Okay, yeah, there's a lot more to it than that, but I'm not sure if I'm telling people too little and giving them a wrong view on the situation or telling people too much and ruining Mikan's privacy as it is. So yeah, Asymmetrikon pretty much sums it all up.

I wasn't here during whatever this business with Zak S was.

Forgive me for prying, it's just that I loved Mikan's Dungeon World material and hearing all this is a bit distressing.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

InfiniteJesters posted:

all this is a bit distressing.

Yes. Yes it is.

For thread-relevant content, I talked to Mikan about it and I'll be taking over writing/development for Fortune System: Dungeon, so that's still likely to exist in the future. It's after my next project in the works, though, so it'll be a while off.

EDIT: Also I'm probably going to rename it because that name would be impossible to google.

gnome7 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 7, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
People who've run this, got any good examples of how you've overlaid sectors on real world maps?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i haven't actually played this game irl (:qq:) but have you considered putting a transparent sheet over the map and using an erasable marker to delineate sectors?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I put this together a few years ago. I think sometime back during or shortly after the Kickstarter, but I only used it as a reference to hastily draw monuments on half-sheets of paper:

But a few months ago, I revisited the concept, eventually settling on working from this map:

I ended up cropping it to the relevant area, used PosteRazor to print it out at a larger but still reasonable size, and then drew the sector boundaries in using a permanent marker. I don't currently have the physical artifact with me right now, but I think it ended up looking something like this:

although the vertical boundaries on the right half of the map were probably closer to the first version, now that I'm thinking about it

Basically, just pull some satellite imagery or city planning maps from google images and then draw in your own sectors using city blocks, streets, and other geography as guidelines. This particular map is a bit bigger than the recommendations in the book, both in scale and number of sectors, but I wanted to fit in all of the important areas on the national mall and surrounding area for theatrical reasons, which necessitated making a few adjustments. Things worked out pretty well for the encounter, although there was some funkiness that went on with the small sector containing the Jefferson Memorial and some field effects in the Tidal Basin.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 7, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Wow, that is super awesome and I'm going to the library for big rear end maps of this city ASAP.

Also, because his twitter is protected:

Tablehop posted:

ALSO someone asked if these donations could retroactively be applied to renaming Last Stand: Reinforcements to Last Stand 2: Last Stander

So yes that is happening

I am moved by generosity and charity, the book will now be titled Last Stand 2: Last Stander

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Asymmetrikon posted:

And it turns out the RPG hobby is a miserable place, so Mikan ejected.

poo poo yeah it is.

• Locked thread