Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Yea if you have any hobbies, things start eating away at your storage space fast. Living in a condo without a storage unit is especially a struggle. Every time we move, we purge a bit and it’s hard to give away things like skates and then need them two years later.

I think if I moved 12 times, I’d probably have zero clutter too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It’s wild how much crap you accumulate when your living space gets larger. My last move was truly gruelling since I’d been there for years, I’ve resolved these days to make an effort to go through my apartment and either get rid of poo poo or put it up on marketplace, even then I still think I’m going to be surprised how difficult my next move is going to be.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Femtosecond posted:

I think the big cities should make permanent street parking passes cost $50+ a month. This is still well below the $100+ one would pay for a permanent reserved space in a covered lot.

This would drive people to actually use their garages for cars instead of hoarding uses. The streets would be freed up for better uses.

Is that not how it works in most places? Ottawa charges $750 for a year. You also have to be in a designated area that allows for that and you must not have access to off-street parking.
Also all it does is exempt you from the usual time limit within your area. It's not 'reserving' a spot and if there's a pay meter you still have to pay it.

Judging by how mad car people get about this I have determined that it is very effective.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Leave house for university, have no space to bring all your childhood stuff
Parents keep it in their basement
Come back home after university, don't go through and purge childhood stuff
Leave and move to small apartment, have no space to bring all your stuff
Find love, get married, get into medium apartment, have no space to bring all your stuff
Luck into house, move in day, parents dump all your childhood poo poo on you
Daunting pile grows in garage/spare room/basement
No will to go through it - haven't seen/felt/processed these items with memories in 10+ years

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Slotducks posted:

Leave house for university, have no space to bring all your childhood stuff
Come back home after university, don't go through and purge childhood stuff
Leave and move to small apartment, have no space to bring all your stuff
Find love, get married, get into medium apartment, have no space to bring all your stuff
Luck into house, move in day, parents dump all your childhood poo poo on you
Daunting pile grows in garage/spare room/basement
No will to go through it - haven't seen/felt/processed these items with memories in 10+ years

You forgot: grandparents die, no room to keep sentimental stuff - add it to the pile or throw your memories away

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Fidelitious posted:

Is that not how it works in most places? Ottawa charges $750 for a year. You also have to be in a designated area that allows for that and you must not have access to off-street parking.
Also all it does is exempt you from the usual time limit within your area. It's not 'reserving' a spot and if there's a pay meter you still have to pay it.

Judging by how mad car people get about this I have determined that it is very effective.

The annual fee in Vancouver is $66.

The ABC party accused Mayor Stewart of planning on raising the fee, and ran ads on this non stop on conservative talk radio during the election, despite the fact that Stewart literally voted against this motion. As a result they practically swept council and got a majority and Stewart's party got zero seats. :shepicide:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
People get absolutely rabid over parking

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Parking should be safe, legal, and rare.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Parking enforcement officers should have similar legal powers as Judge Dredd.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah japan has the right idea:
-Can't own a car without proof of parking*
-little to no free street parking
-very simple national zoning system that allows people to easily build and adapt.

You just bought a little 50x50' lot with an old house on it, you don't own a car and don't want one. You tear down the old house, which had a bit of a paved front yard area with a carport, and replace it with a house that mostly fills the lot because you also personally don't value having a back yard or anything. You do this easily by-right without needing 5 years of re-zoning hearings. Years later you decide to start a neighborhood small business so you just add a floor to your existing house or replace the whole thing and build a 3 story building with a shop on the bottom. Again, no re-zoning needed because this sort of retail/business space is simply allowed just about anywhere. Neighbours don't scream about character or shadows because everyone is used to neighborhoods changing and adapting and besides its not like there's a process that gives their nimby opinions any sort of legal power to block or delay your construction. You don't provide any parking for customers because that's up to you too. The neighbors don't complain about you creating traffic or stealing their street parking because street parking doesn't exist on your narrow 20' residential street. Most everyone just walks to your shop, because there's enough density in a walking or transit distance to give you the customer base for your business to succeed. You have cheap housing, cheap retail space, and your weird marginal business can succeed and support you because your costs are so low.

*the proof of parking is also based on the specific vehicle. So if you buy a tiny little car you only need to waste a tiny bit of land on your lot for parking, which is another huge incentive to not buy a stupidly bloated over-sized vehicle. Also when you have to give up a chunk of your own limited land or pay market prices for parking, just not owning a car at all starts to make way more sense to most people. People can have personal vehicles, just price everything fairly.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 26, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

338 people per square kilometer with 97.8% racial homogeneity is doing a lot of heavy lifting in your carless small business utopia there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do you see the racial demographics factoring in?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

How do you see the racial demographics factoring in?

I can't speak for OP, but butting into the thread as expected from someone living south of you, our zoning and permits are built to enforce racial disparities and prevent minorities from living in heavily-white neighborhoods. Because wealth/class/race are all so heavily intertwined down here, even something as simple as "just make it cost more and be harder to do" acts as a(n often legal) tool of segregation.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sundae posted:

I can't speak for OP, but butting into the thread as expected from someone living south of you, our zoning and permits are built to enforce racial disparities and prevent minorities from living in heavily-white neighborhoods. Because wealth/class/race are all so heavily intertwined down here, even something as simple as "just make it cost more and be harder to do" acts as a(n often legal) tool of segregation.

It's this.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
So how does that factor into the Canadian context?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Health Services posted:

So how does that factor into the Canadian context?

Do I need to spell this out? It factors in because Canadians are a bunch of racist shits just like us down here. On top of that, you have drastically higher ethnic diversity than Japan (69.8% white / 30.2% other, per wikipedia) and therefore more opportunity to show your true colors than the JP counterpoint. You're just slightly more polite and quiet about it than the USA tends to be, and plus we're so awful down here that we suck all the oxygen out of the room when it comes to bad behavior. :v:

https://www.homelesshub.ca/blog/living-colour-racialized-housing-discrimination-canada
https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default/files/Documents/Issues/Housing/SubmissionsCFIhousingdiscrimin/CERA-NRHN-SRAC.pdf

The very fact that you don't have nice, easy zoning rules and flexible land use in otherwise residential-zoned areas is because the classism/racism is already baked into your system. It "doesn't work" because your society already decided to do that, whether in a mustache-twirling moment of villainry or just as an inevitable outcome of the comingling of wealth and race. Even aside from people liking more money and therefore not wanting to weaken the value of their house assets, they're going to be doubly disinclined to increase housing availability / flexibility because houses as an asset are part of the racist structure in the first place. It's like a Detroit resident saying "Gee, if we just let black people live on the other side of 8 Mile Road, segregation would be gone! It's easy!"

(For reference, since this is not a USA thread: Here's 8 Mile Road, Detroit MI:)

It's entirely the point that it's that bad. "Working as intended."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 27, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Redlining was apparently a thing in parts of Canada too but "racism just like the US" is not really a satisfactory explanation for why zoning laws, post-WW2 suburban sprawl and car dependence are the way they are. Canada was much more homogeneous than the US before 1990:

e: whoops the title isn't in the plot, that's visible minority population from https://www.statcan.gc.ca/en/dai/btd/othervisuals/other010

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 27, 2024

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You don't need to be a visible minority to be discrimated against by the English Protestant ruling class in Canada (but it helps).

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Zoning came about in the 1930s and while it was probably largely a classist effort to keep the poors out (no apartments = no poors) it was also convenient way to keep out the undesireable races, because generally they were also relatively poor and also lived in apartments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Redlining was apparently a thing in parts of Canada too but "racism just like the US" is not really a satisfactory explanation for why zoning laws, post-WW2 suburban sprawl and car dependence are the way they are. Canada was much more homogeneous than the US before 1990:

e: whoops the title isn't in the plot, that's visible minority population from https://www.statcan.gc.ca/en/dai/btd/othervisuals/other010

Sure, there's more than that too. Plenty of that results from plain ol' spillover from american post-war car culture when manufacturing flipped heavily from war to consumer goods and gave birth to suburbanization.
Let's remember that The Death and Life of Great American Cities was already published in 1961. Robert Moses and Le Corbusier had massive influence on urban planning in Canada as much as in the states. I don't know directly about other cities but I can point at the Gréber Plan in Ottawa which clearly drew straight from their ideas.

It's also not required to have the same kind of racism to push restrictive zoning laws although it certainly intensifies it. Classism by itself can do the job. Again with reference to Ottawa, there was division from the start between the rich side with the Anglos and Scots and the poor side with French-Canadians and Irish.