Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

thehacker0 posted:

Does anyone know if it is possible to pre-order for one system and play the beta on another? When you redeem the beta code do you choose the system regardless of from what system the game was pre-ordered?

Based on what some people have said about ps3/4 codes it seems like it might be, but wanted to check if anyone knew.

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

thehacker0 posted:

Does anyone know if it is possible to pre-order for one system and play the beta on another? When you redeem the beta code do you choose the system regardless of from what system the game was pre-ordered?

Based on what some people have said about ps3/4 codes it seems like it might be, but wanted to check if anyone knew.

Yes, the code you get for preordering is redeemed on Bungie.net. Once you enter that you choose the platform for your beta codes.

Also groups are able to be set as your in-game clan now.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
Was there any chance at them releasing the codes today to pre-load the beta? Not a huge deal but it would be nice to get home from work to have it downloaded.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The FAQ has always said that codes will be released the 17th.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Speaking with Amazon right now to get my code as it's been 2 business days but nothing yet. Hopefully get it soon!

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Has there been any discussion how they plan to balance the Multi-player aspect of the game with people who have advanced really far in the single player? It seems like it might be kind of lame to play against someone who has access to different abilities and more powerful guns in 6vs6 matches.

I imagine they'll have rank pools but I wonder how they'll handle someone with really good armor or weapons just wrecking teams. It concerns me because that was one of the reason I largely stayed out of PvP in MMORPGS because of the gear differences making it difficult to compete.
Edit: Sorry for being Lazy and not looking back exactly one page.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 16, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
In the alpha a lot of stuff got flattened so like if you had a mega damage gun it didn't do mega damage any more but it might reload faster or whatever else it did. Same with armor/shields.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Texibus posted:

Has there been any discussion how they plan to balance the Multi-player aspect of the game with people who have advanced really far in the single player? It seems like it might be kind of lame to play against someone who has access to different abilities and more powerful guns in 6vs6 matches.

I imagine they'll have rank pools but I wonder how they'll handle someone with really good armor or weapons just wrecking teams. It concerns me because that was one of the reason I largely stayed out of PvP in MMORPGS because of the gear differences making it difficult to compete.

Other than reload times and I believe impact (staggering) of projectiles, it's abilities, then abilities and bonuses from weapons that count only. Like sliding longer if you have a weapon with kneepads. Otherwise we're all going to be equal.

I still don't know how people figured out how to get a shield letting them survive point blank ordinarily lethal headshots in the alpha. I played the tankiest titan and pop and dead so many times.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Thanks, that seems like a sensible solution. I was concerned that the single-player/questing aspect of the game would bleed too much into the multiplayer, I guess we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Y'all expecting much out of IGNs preview today?

Texibus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 16, 2014

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
Glad Amazon sent out reminders to actually use the beta key, I probably would have forgotten all about it like I did with the alpha.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
How did Multiplayer work? Does everyone start a game on equal footing? Or do you get to bring all your own weapons and armor to it?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
No one knows, I'm pretty sure.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

DarkAvenger211 posted:

How did Multiplayer work? Does everyone start a game on equal footing? Or do you get to bring all your own weapons and armor to it?

In the alpha you brought in your own levels and equipment but they were changed in various ways to make it more even. This is what we were most talking about on this page.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
I thought I read somewhere that they are going to have multiplayer modes that are more similar to the way Halo's multiplayer was setup, but I probably dreamt that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the digital guardian edition unavailable in Europe or something?

thehacker0
Mar 19, 2014

inSTAALed posted:

I thought I read somewhere that they are going to have multiplayer modes that are more similar to the way Halo's multiplayer was setup, but I probably dreamt that.

There are multiple game types (which is what you mean by game modes if I understand correctly) within crucible, which is the overarching competitive multiplayer mode (along with strike, exploration, tower, story, and one that has not yet been revealed)

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
so, i'm a bit confused about the beta code getting thing.

I preordered on PSN a couple weeks back, went and made a new Bungie account today linked to that account. Do i like, just have to wait until tommorrow for a code to pop up?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If you pre-ordered on PSN, you won't need a code.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
New thread for Beta, with information regarding beta up in this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651139

Post information I should jam into post#2 or the header there.

I'll ask MonsterW21 to close this one (maybe not, doesn't take PMs. Someone Skype or whatev?), and sorry for the WIPness of my OP, my lovely excuse is accidental shift-deletion and real life business surprising me.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 16, 2014

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

You bring all your kit but the Attack and Defense stats on your weapons/armor don't do anything in the Crucible.

Out in the wilderness a weapon with Attack 15 will do a lot of damage to something with Defense 1 (numbers used for example, not representative). The difference between your Attack and the target's Defense acts as a multiplier on the weapon's Impact, though I don't know the formula exactly.

In the Crucible the only thing that matters to determining damage per shot is the weapon's Impact.

Higher-level gear will still have more talents in its talent grid, and you will retain those. Higher-level characters will still have more abilities, including some that will buff their Armor, Recovery, and Agility stats, which will give them some marginal advantages in those respects.

e: Will move this to other thread.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

Snackpack Backpack posted:

Yes, the code you get for preordering is redeemed on Bungie.net. Once you enter that you choose the platform for your beta codes.

Also groups are able to be set as your in-game clan now.

How do you set your group as your clan? Couldnt find a way of doing this.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

CheeseFactory posted:

How do you set your group as your clan? Couldnt find a way of doing this.

It shows up when you click on the group. So click into the SA group and it wil be an option along the top bar thing.

Also :siren: STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD. CLOSE IT PLEASE MODS. :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651139

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

At 2% completed. When does the beta end? Will I get to play before then?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

At 2% completed. When does the beta end? Will I get to play before then?

It'll end on the 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoknew
Sep 18, 2004

oh shit
im lit

monkeu posted:

:siren: STOP POSTING IN THIS THREAD. CLOSE IT PLEASE MODS. :siren:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651139

• Locked thread