Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Amused to Death posted:

"That Republican majority in congress sure improved things huh? :newt:"

Yes, this is the sole time that Congress is acknowledged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Should Maine expect even deeper educational cuts than the ones their colleges are currently enacting? Will LePage veto the propositions passed through polls?

How lower should we expect minimum wage to drop?

The Maine House is now split 80/69/2 in favor of the Democrats. They lost a few, but it wasn't a bloodbath. Looks like one of their two congresscritters is really popular and crushed his opponents, and was able to bring people to the polls.

edit so after poking around state house results in ballotpedia (which is an excellent resource), I just learned that California only has 80 reps in their assembly. Oh my god. That's about 475,000 people for every House member. New Hampshire, with the largest lower house, has 400 representatives at a touch over 3000 people per representative.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 8, 2014

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

potato of destiny posted:

In actual midterm news, it looks like the Colorado State Legislature may be decided by Adams County, but we're not going to know for a while. Why? Because it turns out that nobody bothered to run for county surveyor, so it turned into a write-in race. Meaning, election officials have to go through and count every single ballot that was cast by hand. Adams County is part of the Denver Metro area, so they have literally tens of thousands of ballots to count. They have to manually go through each one, try to read the voters chicken scratch handwriting, and then verify that whoever they wrote in actually lives in Adams County.

http://m.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/capitol_business/2014/11/election-2014why-is-adams-county-holding-up.html?r=full

I know this is from quite a way back, but as an Adams County Colorado voter, I am guilty.

I put in the name of a friend who does surveyor type duties for the state. He does live in Adams County. Had I known the job sucked that bad, I wouldn't have bothered. He is kind of getting a kick out of the few votes he got, though.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

blackmet posted:

I know this is from quite a way back, but as an Adams County Colorado voter, I am guilty.

I put in the name of a friend who does surveyor type duties for the state. He does live in Adams County. Had I known the job sucked that bad, I wouldn't have bothered. He is kind of getting a kick out of the few votes he got, though.

I'm an ex-Adams County voter (Weld County now :suicide: ) and this doesn't surprise me in the least. I just really, really hope the Dems can hold on to at least one chamber to keep any batshittery from getting through, or ideally both so they and Hickenlooper can keep growing the state like they've done for the past four years (a fact that's apparently lost on voters here, seeing how close Hickenlooper came to losing).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Much like RTW in Michigan and the shutdown, it'll be fine if they do it long enough before 2016.

Yup, December this year is so far away from 2016 that it wouldn't matter at all. poo poo, it wouldn't matter if there were more elections in 2015.

Is there any reason to be hopeful they get something passed this year? I just see the issue getting punted to the next Congress while they go home for the holidays.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sancho posted:

Latinos are impervious to FYGM.
Two of the biggest FYGM cases on my Facebook feed are Mexican-Americans who grew up in trailer families with hard working parents and worked their way up to upper middle class prosperity. Vote Republican, believe all the propaganda, quote Rush and Hannity, etc. What I've found is that anyone from a generation that prospered immediately after a generation that immigrated and worked its rear end off tend to have this problem. You find the same thing among second generation Chinese here in Thailand or Vietnamese in Louisiana or wherever. They're still close enough to the struggle and the hard work that bootstraps are, frankly, pretty legit psychologically. It's unfortunate, but a lot easier to accept than the sixth generation child of five previous wealthy generations who woke up on third base thinking he hit a triple.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I'm an ex-Adams County voter (Weld County now :suicide: ) and this doesn't surprise me in the least. I just really, really hope the Dems can hold on to at least one chamber to keep any batshittery from getting through, or ideally both so they and Hickenlooper can keep growing the state like they've done for the past four years (a fact that's apparently lost on voters here, seeing how close Hickenlooper came to losing).

Looks like Democrats will likely lose the house, but keep the senate.

http://www.denverpost.com/election2014/ci_26892168/adams-county-ballot-counting-continues-colorado-senate-race

Semi-unrelated:

Do I like Hickenlooper? Not really. He came out against a bill that would have given people who work in the city of Denver mandatory sick time in 2011, he's pro-fracking, he dragged his feet on saying he supported gay-marriage (I don't think he ever actually has said it, come to think of it), he tries way too hard to be everything to everyone. I actually voted Green party this time, because I figured he was fairly safe and I just don't like him that much.

He also gets a bit too lovey-dovey with big business. I work for a large financial firm that's building a new campus and bringing nearly 1,000 jobs to the Denver area from other parts of the country.

Story that was shared around the firm: Hickenlooper was at the press announcement of this, along with the former CEO and founder of my firm. Back when he was campaigning the first time, Hick promised blue-collar voters on the western slope that if they voted for him, he'd never wear a tie again as a symbol of him hearing them and appreciating their support. He won, and (I guess, I don't pay that much attention) hasn't worn a tie in public since. But apparently when he met the founder of my firm, he said that he was so in awe of him he would wear a tie at this event if the founder wanted him to. The founder said he didn't need to, and he didn't. It kind of rubbed me the wrong way, as it showed Hick would sell out tiny parts of whatever principles he has to keep corporate $$$$ happy.

But one thing he does very well: he's positive when he campaigns. Relentlessly. He talks about small business and how he saves money for the city and state budget and how he doesn't believe in attack ads and his record speaks for itself. He's comes off as pleasant and moderate.

If Udall had ran a campaign closer to Hick's, rather than his "all war-on-women-all-the-time" campaign (and, literally, that's what it was...I saw one ad maybe two times that discussed how he was anti-NSA spying, and that was it), I think the results would have been different. Hell, by the time I saw this...

http://www.factcheck.org/2014/10/narals-edgy-condom-ad-in-colorado/

...it's a good thing I had already mailed my ballot because I was half-tempted to vote for someone else out of spite.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Aliquid posted:

edit so after poking around state house results in ballotpedia (which is an excellent resource), I just learned that California only has 80 reps in their assembly. Oh my god. That's about 475,000 people for every House member. New Hampshire, with the largest lower house, has 400 representatives at a touch over 3000 people per representative.

Both of these seem crazy to me. In CA that's almost like running for congress. As for New Hampshire, my townships city council has 15 members all of which represent roughly 2,500 voters (I figure each ward has somewhere between 500-1000 residents who aren't even registered) and that's at the municipal level. In PA state reps get about roughly 50,000 voters and state senate about 250,000, which seems about right to me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Nastier Nate posted:

Both of these seem crazy to me. In CA that's almost like running for congress. As for New Hampshire, my townships city council has 15 members all of which represent roughly 2,500 voters (I figure each ward has somewhere between 500-1000 residents who aren't even registered) and that's at the municipal level. In PA state reps get about roughly 50,000 voters and state senate about 250,000, which seems about right to me.

I would be perfectly happy with 50,000 voters per US House Representative.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

computer parts posted:

I would be perfectly happy with 50,000 voters per US House Representative.

A bill to end human suffering dies, 3161 to 3161

(six thousand people in a room is no way to craft legislation)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gerund posted:

Do you really think bills are created by all 435 reps being in the same room?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

Remember that episode of The Simpsons where they were voting on the "Flags for Orphans and Airline Re-Routing Bill" and it just came down to like, 3 people in a room, one of them shut up by blackmail and the other too drunk to respond?

That's basically a factual depiction of how congress works.

EDIT: VV The Kochs spend more money than it would take on breakfast every morning I'm sure VV

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Gerund posted:

I don't think it'd be as easy to buy 3000 representatives though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, they're created by small groups who know and trust each other and can compromise effectively to craft meaningful legislation. Passing those bills then requires more personal relationships and trust so that logrolling relationships can develop.

That all becomes difficult to impossible with that many representatives.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
6,000 representatives would mean a whole fuckload of whips, I guess.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Chantilly Say posted:

6,000 representatives would mean a whole fuckload of whips, I guess.

I'd love to know how China's legislative body works at ~3000 members, representing half a million a seat. However I have little faith that it works at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gerund posted:

I'd love to know how China's legislative body works at ~3000 members, representing half a million a seat. However I have little faith that it works at all.

Well that's a show body, yes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gerund posted:

It exists largely to rubber stamp legislation crafted by party officials. It's not a deliberative body.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gerund posted:

China has a population of 1.5 trillion?

Apparently I'm just an idiot

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Nov 10, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

xrunner posted:

China has a population of 1.5 trillion?

3000 * 500,000 = 1,500,000,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New thread for the 2016 Senate election: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680204

• Locked thread