Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
lol drops the mic at the beginning of graceless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

snaeksikn posted:

lol drops the mic at the beginning of graceless

what a noob

tenniseveryone
Feb 8, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There was a long-rear end interview with Matt on the You Made It Weird podcast recently, with a focus on Mistaken For Strangers and his brother but a lot of interesting stuff about the band's (and his) history in there too. Worth checking out although I will say the host - a comedian I really like - can be a bit of an acquired taste.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Saw them live last night at melbourne, holy poo poo what an amazing live show. Matt getting down and singing with the crowd in vanderlyle crybaby geeks was easily the best part,

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Watched that whole Sydney Opera House show earlier. Matt's so loving funny in between songs. Usually I don't like it when bands talk in between songs but Matt was entertaining so it was okay. Plus they played a great setlist. I really want to go to one of their shows someday :(

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Full set of the Sydney show is now on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qS7hKoOR4

Feel the exact same way now as I did at the show in Montreal last summer: album Humiliation is great but meanders a bit and the live version is simply amazing.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Am I crazy for thinking that Hard to Find is a song about The Great Gatsby?

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Holy goddamn the live version of Slow Show is incredible. Also Matt's badass mic drop at the end of Afraid of Everyone. :allears: Really want to see them live again, now more so than ever.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Matt's so loving funny in between songs. Usually I don't like it when bands talk in between songs but Matt was entertaining so it was okay.

Their banter is one of the better parts of the The National Live Experience. When they came to Tulsa a few years back they kept making jokes about balls. It was great.

edit: oh my god during Terrible Love when Matt goes around and hugs the audience :swoon:

suztan fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 14, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For the first time, The National will be the musical guest on SNL on March 8th.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Not sure if you guys were aware, but Mistaken For Strangers, Matt's brother Tom's documentary about being a roadie for The National on tour and just being Matt's brother in general, was officially released today on VOD. I just finished watching it and it's really captivating, but not so much in the ways you might think. Tom is kind of the black sheep of the family. He has a lot of potential and is incredibly talented in certain areas, but luck really isn't in his favor and he's never quite found his place, while his brother Matt was always the golden boy of the family and has had a lot of success with his band and Tom finds it hard to cope with being Matt's brother because of the shadow he casts. The movie is mostly scenes demonstrating that, and it kind of paints Matt as a huge rear end in a top hat and Tom as this underdog that you root for.

It's a side of The National you probably haven't seen before and probably won't see again, and I'd encourage any fans of theirs or good documentaries in general to watch it.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The movie is mostly scenes demonstrating that, and it kind of paints Matt as a huge rear end in a top hat and Tom as this underdog that you root for.

I didn't really get this impression. I find it hard to root for Tom because he's such a goddamn manchild, a perennial gently caress up who only has himself to blame.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

m-o-o-n posted:

I didn't really get this impression. I find it hard to root for Tom because he's such a goddamn manchild, a perennial gently caress up who only has himself to blame.

I agree. Matt seemed really encouraging and supportive, and all the times he got frustrated with Tom were completely understandable. Tom was still plenty goofy and likable, but seemed like he'd be very tough to live in close quarters with and depend on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

knows a black guy posted:

I agree. Matt seemed really encouraging and supportive, and all the times he got frustrated with Tom were completely understandable. Tom was still plenty goofy and likable, but seemed like he'd be very tough to live in close quarters with and depend on.
Well the second half of that is true, but there are times when Matt doesn't seem so supportive. For example: Towards the end in Brooklyn, he's letting Tom live with them, and yeah, that's huge, but when they're talking outside and Carin's filming, Tom's talking about wanting raw emotion to be included in his film, albeit in a melodramatic way, and Matt's just laughing and saying "It's just a loving rock doc" like he has no idea how important it actually is to Tom and how it's one of the only things he really has going for him.

Matt comes across as having this inflated ego and delusions of grandeur that he's a bigger success than he actually is, despite admitting in the film that he's not all that famous. The rest of the guys seem a lot more down to earth.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 29, 2014

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Well the second half of that is true, but there are times when Matt doesn't seem so supportive. For example: Towards the end in Brooklyn, he's letting Tom live with them, and yeah, that's huge, but when they're talking outside and Carin's filming, Tom's talking about wanting raw emotion to be included in his film, albeit in a melodramatic way, and Matt's just laughing and saying "It's just a loving rock doc" like he has no idea how important it actually is to Tom and how it's one of the only things he really has going for him.

Matt comes across at having this inflated ego and delusions of grandeur that he's a bigger success than he actually is, despite admitting in the film that he's not all that famous. The rest of the guys seem a lot more down to earth.

I was able to go to a screening in LA a few months back where they had a Q&A with Matt, Tom, Carin and an additional editor that worked on the film. Someone asked about this particular moment and Matt explained that at that point he really had no idea how personal the film had gotten to Tom, because like he said, he really thought it to be no big deal and it was just some dumb rock band documentary.

I also was able to catch The Shrine premiere where The National preformed right after. When Matt went into the crowd for Terrible Love, Tom came running out behind him. :3:

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2014

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was under the impression that this was a performance piece, ie: maybe based on truth but with large amounts wholly fabricated. Is that not the case?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I don't believe any of this was staged, no.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

The movie is mostly scenes demonstrating that, and it kind of paints Matt as a huge rear end in a top hat and Tom as this underdog that you root for.

I've been on both sides of the golden boy/black sheep sibling thing, and Matt does not come off as an rear end in a top hat at all. His patience with Tom is admirable and any criticism of his brother is coming from the most understanding of places.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

When I saw them live they had this cool setup where you could see them on projectors behind the scenes live before it started and this went on till they walked on stage and the projector/what you could actually see lined up and became the same. Is this a regular thing?

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Davincie posted:

When I saw them live they had this cool setup where you could see them on projectors behind the scenes live before it started and this went on till they walked on stage and the projector/what you could actually see lined up and became the same. Is this a regular thing?

Yeah, when I saw them at The Greek and the Hollywood Cemetery they had the same thing going on. I got to my seats at The Shrine show a little late so I didn't see if they had the backstage camera going but they definitely had the same song going so I assume so.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So jealous of the people that got to see them yesterday only because they performed Lucky You. Otherwise apparently they were a bit off.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Matt did the Pete Holmes Show and this awesome bit resulted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEmgl3cEdA

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Punch Card posted:

Matt did the Pete Holmes Show and this awesome bit resulted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEmgl3cEdA

edit: Oh god this is amazing.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Anyone going to Tanzbrunnen for the show in Cologne tonight? I'm hanging out there with my girlfriend already since it's such a nice day and the Rhein is right there. :)

e: guess not! The show was loving great, though. We got there really early and were right on the rail, and it's so much fun to watch Matt go crazy on stage. Both Dessners and Davendorfs are also super fun to watch--whenever Scott has a little percussion thing to shake he gets funky.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 12, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Anyone else going to the last Brooklyn show tonight? I'm planning on getting there around 4:30 to get a good spot. So pumped. I've only seen 3/5 of them play the Tibet House benefit gig at Carnegie Hall, so this will be my first time seeing the entire band.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

HD DAD posted:

Anyone else going to the last Brooklyn show tonight? I'm planning on getting there around 4:30 to get a good spot. So pumped. I've only seen 3/5 of them play the Tibet House benefit gig at Carnegie Hall, so this will be my first time seeing the entire band.

I'll be at tonight's Prospect Park show but won't be lining up quite that early. I'll be tempting fate with the Friends of Celebrate Brooklyn entrance when doors open. Anyway, I hope you get a great spot and enjoy the show!

The Bowery Presents site was advertising tonight as their last NYC show on the Trouble Will Find Me tour, but that statement seems to have been taken down since I last checked. Wishful thinking, but maybe they'll play some tiny venue in the area sometime soon.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
I went Tuesday when Phosphorescent as the opener, got in line around 5:15 for 6 p.m. doors and was ~100-110 people back. I was still only two people deep from stagefront, dead-center.

Now I didn't get any food or drink once inside, I just beelined and stayed, but your spot odds should still be good if you line up around then I'd think.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yep, I'm center stage like four people back from the front. This is gonna be awesome.

e: well that was just fantastic. The Available-Cardinal Song mashup was unexpected, and they busted out Lean and All Dolled Up In Straps.

Matt forgetting the lyrics to Graceless and Aaron shooting him a dirty look was hilarious, as was the gently caress up during Vanderlyle.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 20, 2014

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Davincie posted:

I saw them last night in Edinburgh and they were still using this cool setup.

The gig was so amazing. It was in a fancy old music hall and the atmosphere was incredible. Matt ran through the entire crowd. My partner and I were like a pair of overexcited schoolgirls afterwards as Matt was within inches of us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Ada live in Ottawa. I'm in heaven.

• Locked thread