Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

That Romeo and Juliet gag was pretty loving outstanding

edit: Romeo and Juliet with Terminators, yep yep

Yeah, that arc still has bright spots. I'm going to miss this manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I had a feeling that if Dokurou didn't die conveniently in the past, that she'd show up in the present, and since that jerkass ~mysterious~ teacher was never accounted for and they both have black hair, I figured it out pretty quickly once the neckbands started showing up, since a studded neckband on a teacher of all people is preeeetty weird!

Nice Chekhov's Gun. Not One Piece-caliber, but good enough!

The school poo poo was still too long for my liking but tolerable.

edit: I like how this double triangle-horned devil is just a gigantic sweets pig. Every panel with her in it it seems she has some kind of candy or soda.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 9, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: I like how this double triangle-horned devil is just a gigantic sweets pig. Every panel with her in it it seems she has some kind of candy or soda.

If Elsie's cooking is representative of the kinda food they have in hell then I don't blame her one bit for taking sweet sweet advantage of being on earth.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Finished it! I liked it a lot, and it was nowhere near as terrible as some said! It dragged sometimes especially during the school part and I can definitely see how it would feel rushed, especially wrapping it all up neatly in a bow in like four chapters, but it was a fun epilogue with some neat tricks.

The fight between that horned chick and Dokurou was intense and real drat graphic, definitely wasn't expecting that. Especially a loving snake-worm-thing made out of an exacto blade, fuuuuuck! :gonk:

I feel real bad for Tenri, having to shoulder all that burden knowing there was no future for her love, but she'll find someone else I'm sure. I was in the Ayumi or Yui camp myself, but knew Chihiro was going to be the one at least a hundred chapters ago.

I think the most "rushed" evidence thing was Elsie, Nora, and Haqua. Whoops, changed the entire backstory of this character that's been around since day 1 in the last ten chapters, sorry bout that! But I'm cool with it because I didn't really want to see any unhappy end for Elsie of all the characters. Nora and Haqua were pretty much forgotten about until the author had to wrap things up which kinda sucked.

This series had absolutely zero right to be as good as it was based on the premise. It's really impressive that it was so great and consistently hilarious. I still, at the end, don't like Keima, I feel like his character development came far too late for me to give a poo poo about it, but at least he became slightly less of a dick.

Thanks to whoever suggested it to me, though your name is now lost to the ages. :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BlitzBlast posted:

TWGOK has pretty much no right to be as good as it is considering its premise.

Ahahahahaha I wasn't reading any of the replies but it's really great that I had nearly verbatim the same exact reaction to it. :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's all good in the end. I think Wakaki's been successful enough that if he decides to do another work, it'll get read.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

It's all good in the end. I think Wakaki's been successful enough that if he decides to do another work, it'll get read.

I'm going to laugh if Wakaki pulls an Akamatsu and makes a shounen battle manga after TWGOK, only instead of being still relatively light shounen stuff, it's like hyper violent Fist of the North Star/Berserk style. I mean, TWGOK did have the Lune/Dokurou fight...

Edit: I've got it. A prequel dealing with the apparently brutal Hell War.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 10, 2014

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

chumbler posted:

I'm going to laugh if Wakaki pulls an Akamatsu and makes a shounen battle manga after TWGOK, only instead of being still relatively light shounen stuff, it's like hyper violent Fist of the North Star/Berserk style. I mean, TWGOK did have the Lune/Dokurou fight...

Considering the leaps in quality between Love Hina, early Negima, late Negima, and UQ Holder, we can only hope.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Sorry this is the manga thread but I just finished watching the anime version and there doesn't seem to be a thread for that. But man it was just way better than it had any right to be, the series overall is just inexplicably good. Does the manga extend beyond the anime at all or do they wrap up in the same way?

Basically all the ending parts with Chihiro were crazy sad! I'm so glad I accidentally stumbled on this though, I'm not even sure how...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Razzled posted:

Sorry this is the manga thread but I just finished watching the anime version and there doesn't seem to be a thread for that. But man it was just way better than it had any right to be, the series overall is just inexplicably good. Does the manga extend beyond the anime at all or do they wrap up in the same way?

Basically all the ending parts with Chihiro were crazy sad! I'm so glad I accidentally stumbled on this though, I'm not even sure how...

There's a really long arc after where the anime left off, but while it has its high points I don't think it adds that much to the series overall. If you're going to read the manga though you should probably start from the beginning or the end of the 2nd season to catch up on all the stuff they skipped.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Clarste posted:

There's a really long arc after where the anime left off, but while it has its high points I don't think it adds that much to the series overall. If you're going to read the manga though you should probably start from the beginning or the end of the 2nd season to catch up on all the stuff they skipped.

Cool thanks, I'll do that while I hope they do a season 4 I guess

edit: I just have one question about the concert at Mai High Festival what was the significance of Chihiro being able to see the goddesses wings during their song?

double e: I also remembered why the Chihiro scene where he rejects her on the night of the fireworks while he was trying to tie up the ayumi conquest was so drat sad. It reminded me of the scene from Children of the Mind (last book of the Ender's Game book series) where Miro basically has to say a bunch of horrible stuff to the woman he's come to love in order to accomplish the overarching goal. Both were just so sad and really well done!

Razzled fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jul 15, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Glad to hear you liked the Anime. It's very good.
Give the manga a shot, it's very good as well! There's a lot that was skipped, but the goddess arc is the high point of the series.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Razzled posted:

edit: I just have one question about the concert at Mai High Festival what was the significance of Chihiro being able to see the goddesses wings during their song?

I think that was just artistic liberty, showing how fully aware she was that she was just the Normal and had no chance competing with the other girls.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
RHS released the tankoubon version of the last chapter, which has some additional panels. I'll take a little more Yui, even if it's just a panel or two.

Here

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
The Goddess' Arc was nice, but I really missed the Spirit-of-the-Week mode.

I really don't have a good replacement for this manga. :(

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
He did a one-shot a while ago. He also wrote up an afterword on his blog for TWGOK. Hopefully he'll start another series sometime.

EDIT: Misread it a bit, but Reddit has a translation of it.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 17, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Allarion posted:

He did a one-shot a while ago.

This was great.

<ROLLING PIN> :lol:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
^^^BATTER UP

Allarion posted:

He did a one-shot a while ago.

:downs:What did Cacao end up doing to the cake batter that was different from what Komugi did?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

^^^BATTER UP

:downs:What did Cacao end up doing to the cake batter that was different from what Komugi did?

He actually did the same thing wrong, at least in the drawings. You're supposed to separate out the yolks and beat the egg whites with sugar until they form peaks, then gently fold the rest of the batter into the stiff egg white foam. Cacao's explanation is on point, but the drawing has him whisking a whole egg; you can try to whip air into a whole egg, but the fat in the yolk will prevent the egg white from holding any air. You can whip egg whites, but a whole egg beaten together will only ever become slightly foamy. A sponge cake rises because of those air bubbles trapped in the egg white foam, so screwing that step up ruins the whole cake. So Cacao explanations it correctly, but does it wrong as well.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The translation makes it a bit hard to follow, but based on my knowledge of baking he tempered the eggs with a low heat and probably beat the batter less vigorously than she did. The upshot of whatever he did is that air beaten into the batter was better incorporated and more evenly distributed. This gives a better texture and more lift. The scene with her waling on the batter is one you see with a lot of novice bakers who assume that harder, faster and longer is better in every instance. I'd probably be able to be a bit more detailed, but I almost always bake with leavening agents, so I'm not super familiar with this kind of recipe. Edit: Oh, or he just made a meringue, that makes a lot more sense. I thought the bit about heating the eggs referred to something other than the actual baking.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Edit: Oh, or he just made a meringue, that makes a lot more sense. I thought the bit about heating the eggs referred to something other than the actual baking.

Yup. A sponge cake (a.k.a. chiffon cake, castella cake, pao de lo) is just a batter leavened with meringue. Most pre chemical leavener cakes use air for leavening somehow, whether it's egg whites trapping air, or the water in butter turning into steam, or water incorporated into the batter some other way (like in choux pastry).

• Locked thread