Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
She's sending some mixed signals over the course of the show, she may not be entirely well mentally, and maybe even a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I think a good way to split it is that Asuka doesn’t want to be defined as “Shinji’s Girlfriend,” in addition to her fear of being outshone by him on the battlefield she resents that any interest he expresses isn’t on her terms, but as her ranting in the early moments of instrumentality shows she still very much wants something out of him

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't ever know that she wants much from him that she doesnt want from everyone. Attention. Validation. The kiss was just a game/boredom. Unlike whatever Rebuild lady who just falls from the sky and is like YOU SMELL GOOD I KNEW YOUR MOM.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I think Asuka is attracted to Shinji on some level, though she'd never admit that to anyone including herself. However I think she's more attracted to the fact that he's attracted to her - as mentioned above, she likes the attention and validation. She also hates him for a variety of reasons of course. Though I don't think she'd ask for a kiss just as a "game" or being "bored" from someone she had zero interest in, even if that interest is mostly self-serving. Asuka is right to call out that Shinji doesn't like "her", he would like anyone that likes him back - but I kind of think Asuka is similar in that way.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I like asuka because she almost instantly made shinji a more interesting character because of the contrast in the reactions she drew out of him compared to rei and misato (not that shinji wasn't interesting before)

Also, after rewatching eoe in a theater a few days ago, the song i've been coming back to is not komm, but me alternating between thanatos and everything you've ever dreamed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't ever know that she wants much from him that she doesnt want from everyone. Attention. Validation. The kiss was just a game/boredom. Unlike whatever Rebuild lady who just falls from the sky and is like YOU SMELL GOOD I KNEW YOUR MOM.

Mari flirts with absolutely everyone all the time. It's how she says hello.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Mari is by any measure a creepy stalker. She is not given nearly enough time or exposition to be more than a caricature to the audience that represents a metatextual piece of information in the finish.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Mari, at points, feels like they dropped Haruko from FLCL in the middle of Eva. A completely self-interested "eternal teenager" who appears out of nowhere and then flirts with/assaults anyone in range on the way to her own vaguely defined goals. It doesn't line up all that well on the whole for sure, but it's the rough parallel that comes to mind.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
Mari in the Rebuild movies just seemed like a total non-character to me, even after Thrice Upon a Time. Felt like her characterization was a casualty of just having too much stuff to get through in the movies.

My EoE showing was about 40+ people, and I was totally ready for some That Guy laughs or awful jokes during the hospital scene, but everyone was actually very respectful. Seeing it in theaters though does remind me how much it sucks that we're probably not getting new Evangelion stuff outside of merch, pachinko machines, janky game crossovers, and maybe an OVA here and there on an anniversary for the foreseeable future. I guess it could be worse though (cough ANIMA cough).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Mari's primary function in the movies ends up kinda just being someone who is extremely willing to be openly affectionate and patient with Shinji and Asuka to help them get through their bullshit a little bit. I like the bits of her dynamic with Asuka because they seem like they're actually friends, on the terms that Asuka is able to work with. Her specifics other than being a disruptive force to the old character dynamics feel like an intentional mystery.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HobbitGrease posted:

I guess it could be worse though (cough ANIMA cough).

Currently reading ANIMA and jfc the writing is bad. I can deal with the hacky story but goddamn how many times are you going to write Eva-00 Type-F Allegorica in the same loving paragraph like we need reminded every couple seconds. That's just one of the sins of the series. But I started it so I'll finish it (painfully).

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Before I saw the rebuilds, I heard a reading of Mari as an Eva super fan self insert. Not sure the reading holds up super strong with all the movies released, but having it in mind did make me really like Mari and her role in the story.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
She eats several Evangelions why doesn't she have a big belly at the end

I mean wouldn't that be so funny ha

Ha ha

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Unit 01 slaps its belly after eating Zeruel and burps up a giant chicken bone

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My reading of Mari is 'it turns out it's healthier for Shinji to end up with someone new who he doesn't have an incredibly hosed up relationship with'.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

MikeJF posted:

My reading of Mari is 'it turns out it's healthier for Shinji to end up with someone new who he doesn't have an incredibly hosed up relationship with'.

Yeah but its bizarre that its uh Mari filling that role since she's like a 50 year old woman who was BFFs with his parents in college.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah well it's still Eva.

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
I wasn't really the biggest fan of Eva but after recently watching the Rebuilds I just happen to see that EoE was in theaters. I went and saw it high as hell on edibles and it was just an amazing loving experience in the theater, so naturally I went and did it again a week later.

The one part that really has been ringing in my head was the very end with Yui and Fuyutsuki by the lake. So does Yui, with her professor's support basically hijack whatever Seele's plan is in order to become an immortal floating in space for all eternity? Does Gendo know about this, and I guess his subsequent plan is just him trying to get back to her, drat anyone else? Does he then die at the end instead of becoming the great link with everyone else? Yui scolds him before he gets bit in half for being a dick to Shinji, but she also kinda abandons him for her own plan it seems.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mavric posted:

I wasn't really the biggest fan of Eva but after recently watching the Rebuilds I just happen to see that EoE was in theaters. I went and saw it high as hell on edibles and it was just an amazing loving experience in the theater, so naturally I went and did it again a week later.

The one part that really has been ringing in my head was the very end with Yui and Fuyutsuki by the lake. So does Yui, with her professor's support basically hijack whatever Seele's plan is in order to become an immortal floating in space for all eternity? Does Gendo know about this, and I guess his subsequent plan is just him trying to get back to her, drat anyone else? Does he then die at the end instead of becoming the great link with everyone else? Yui scolds him before he gets bit in half for being a dick to Shinji, but she also kinda abandons him for her own plan it seems.

It's pretty strongly implied Gendo had no idea WTF was up with Yui. It also seems like Yui had no idea Gendo would go off the absolute loving deep end without her

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
When I went to see EoE the other week a lot of people came in blind and were absolutely not prepared for it. In the theater I was at there were audible gasps during the opening hospital scene. At the part where the eyeball vagina pops out of giant Rei’s forehead someone muttered “Disgusting!” The movie ends, the lights come on, and everyone silently and awkwardly shuffles out. Then I see this nicely dressed girl in a skirt charging through everyone and straight out the front door of the building while some guy, presumably her date, struggles to keep up with her. Probably not the best date idea.

I was really overwhelmed by how great it looked on the big screen. I don’t remember if I originally saw EoE on DVD or VHS but I know I rented it from Blockbuster and watched it on a crummy small TV. You could make out the human silhouettes of the souls being sucked up in the big orb and clearly see Kaworu’s name written on the side on the mass produced eva entry plugs.

Is it possible to get the ADV dubs in blu-ray? I can't tell if the blu-rays I'm seeing for sale are the ADV ones or the Netflix ones.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Iirc there is an ultimate edition box set that includes the ADV dub for the show and EOE but I'm unsure if it only plays the episodes and film in SD format or if they're updated to BD quality transfers. I don't own it so I can't confirm. As far as I know there's no physical release for the Netflix dub, only streaming.

I believe the non-Khara script releases for the Rebuild dubs of movies 1 and 2 are out of print and go for large markups in online retail, though you *can* grab the initial theatrical dub for Rebuild 3 on :files: because someone managed to snag it and upload it to the internet. Otherwise the Amazon Prime versions of the Rebuild films only use the Khara script with the ADV cast.

It's messy trying to find your preferred release/dub/script for Eva but still nowhere as labyrinthine as some other series. The Netflix dub is overall *better* than ADV but there is something to be said for ADV's more liberal scripts and their lead voices, and that's the one I saw first so it's imprinted on me a bit.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 27, 2024

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

You didn't have to go all the way over the top with the crazy deluxe version to get the ADV dubs, there was an intermediate option (announced after the crazy version with everything and the basic version with Netflix subs and subs only) that came in a black box and has the series plus movies in HD with the ADV dubs. I just checked my copy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

You didn't have to go all the way over the top with the crazy deluxe version to get the ADV dubs, there was an intermediate option (announced after the crazy version with everything and the basic version with Netflix subs and subs only) that came in a black box and has the series plus movies in HD with the ADV dubs. I just checked my copy.

Which release is that? I must have missed that one. Got an Amazon link?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Which release is that? I must have missed that one. Got an Amazon link?

Can't find it on Amazon but have crunchyroll: https://store.crunchyroll.com/products/neon-genesis-evangelion-complete-series-limited-collectors-edition-blu-ray-826663220094.html

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Thanks, I'll definitely have to put that one on the wishlist.

Shame there's still no fly me to the moon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty strongly implied Gendo had no idea WTF was up with Yui. It also seems like Yui had no idea Gendo would go off the absolute loving deep end without her

evangelion is ultimately a story about the importance of communication in relationships

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mavric posted:

Yeah Yui wanted to be a sign that humanity existed, even long after humanity itself was gone. We don't really know enough about her character to know why this was so important to her, or how she'll feel after a few quintillion years floating in space alone, but we also don't really know what level of consciousness she has in the eva anyways.

It's unclear what happens to Gendo at the end, he's the only person we see still bloodied and non-tanged during instrumentality, so it's fully possible that Shinji explicitly wanted him and him alone to be exempt from the process. However after seeing (what's left of) his corpse, we then see the three Reis standing and watching him - which is what happens before someone gets merged into instrumentality. I think his fate is meant to be deliberately vague and up to the viewer's interpretation. As for his motivations, Yui was seemingly the only person Gendo really connected with, and yeah his plan was basically to start instrumentality solely so he could see her again, and he seemingly didn't give a poo poo if anyone else was cool with instrumentality.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

evangelion is ultimately a story about the importance of communication in relationships

"Get in the loving robot, Shinji"

"Rei, you'd make a great mother"

"Congratulations"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mavric posted:

Yeah gendo didn’t know, and yeah he is not a part of instrumentality at all. Him getting half his body eaten by unit 01 / yui was his punishment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuyutsuki is genuinely a huge rear end in a top hat, he just skates by on the fact he spends all his time around Ikaris. Like there's a scene in a flashback to Yui's death where he is annoyed Gendo brought Shinji (because he was aware Yui was planning to suicidemeld with the Eva) until Yui just goes "Nope, I wanted him here, it'll be good for him" and then he shrugs and lets a child witness his mother's psuedodeath without care.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah Yui wanted to be a sign that humanity existed, even long after humanity itself was gone. We don't really know enough about her character to know why this was so important to her, or how she'll feel after a few quintillion years floating in space alone, but we also don't really know what level of consciousness she has in the eva anyways.

It's unclear what happens to Gendo at the end, he's the only person we see still bloodied and non-tanged during instrumentality, so it's fully possible that Shinji explicitly wanted him and him alone to be exempt from the process. However after seeing (what's left of) his corpse, we then see the three Reis standing and watching him - which is what happens before someone gets merged into instrumentality. I think his fate is meant to be deliberately vague and up to the viewer's interpretation. As for his motivations, Yui was seemingly the only person Gendo really connected with, and yeah his plan was basically to start instrumentality solely so he could see her again, and he seemingly didn't give a poo poo if anyone else was cool with instrumentality.

I always got the impression that Yui was 1000 steps ahead of everyone and wanted to make sure that if/when poo poo went down, Shinji would be protected. Best way to do that is set up a scenario where Instrumentality could come under his control and allow him to be God so that he could rebirth reality in a way that made him happy. It makes Yui read as still being shady as hell, but her motivations were from a place of loving her son.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Everyone that worked at NERV and SEELE should have been jailed

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Virtually every adult character in Eva is a villain

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Pen-Pen is innocent.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Virtually every adult character in Eva is stuck in a sort of permanent adolescence due to their own personal massive traumas which leave them as function or less than the literal traumatized children they use to pilot their horror-god machines. Most of them are just able to fake it until everything collapses around them and then they end up self destructing. Gendo's basically less mature than Shinji.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shinjobi posted:

Pen-Pen is innocent.
That bird knows what he did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Virtually every adult character in Eva is stuck in a sort of permanent adolescence due to their own personal massive traumas which leave them as function or less than the literal traumatized children they use to pilot their horror-god machines. Most of them are just able to fake it until everything collapses around them and then they end up self destructing. Gendo's basically less mature than Shinji.

Kaiji's interesting there, since he's got his mountains of issues like everyone else, but he's Shinji's only halfway decent male role model, and he's got the emotional maturity to recognize Asuka's issues and try to cut them off at the pass as hard as he can. Sure "Does not want to sleep with teenagers" is a low, low bar, but at least he clears that one.

Of course, the most mature and responsible adults only show up in Thrice. But hey. Better late than never, and the two stooges mean that Shinji's in shape to process things once he gets all of Evangelion shoved into his brain.