Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

General_Failure posted:

At least today I only came back with a garden bench, a wheel for the trailer and a cordless drill.

I wish our tips still let us take stuff, I need half a kids bike to convert my lawnmower to manual throttle but they wouldn't let me take even the worst "run over by a truck" bike there.

Good to see it moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

I wish our tips still let us take stuff, I need half a kids bike to convert my lawnmower to manual throttle but they wouldn't let me take even the worst "run over by a truck" bike there.

Good to see it moving.

Who said anything about letting me take stuff? My last 3 or 4 mowers were from there. Most of the time someone throws one out it's because of varnish. Clean the fuel system and VROOM! Admittedly I only grab the really old ones so their life is limited, but I prefer them.
No-one notices anyway. Remember I have a landscaping trailer with high sides.

Yep. It moves, and it stops, and it steers. Three things which it hasn't done properly from time to time because of worn out, broken or incorrectly assembled parts, with a light dusting of ??? thrown in. The old brake shoes were in that category. Very little wear, but I could turn the adjuster cam all the way around if I wasn't careful. And when I thought I had them adjusted right they would lock a wheel solid. I had to reverse to unlock them again. Glad I believe in a trip around the block first!

Computer Viking: Did you make it all, or get some kind of kit? I had a look at the page.
Two things I'm kicking myself about. I have a box of salvaged tubes ...somewhere ...maybe. I don't think I sold them. If i didn't, I have no idea where I put them :(
Also a few weeks ago I was in a store that had a stack of copies of a book about tube preamp and amp design heavily reduced. I don't know why I didn't buy it.

Interesting what you said about the 6J1. For some reason I never bothered looking it up. I may be revealing a fatal weakness here, but using the Pi with the DAC and the preamp and headphones makes me doze off in minutes while sitting at the computer.
The preamp did an amazing job of cleaning up the RPi PWM audio. I'm guessing because of the low output causing distortion. It's less noticeable using the DAC but still definitely makes a difference although it has a higher output than the internal audio. Can't say I get why.
With the internal RPi audio I got the best sound quality by far in RISC OS playing the audio through the DigitalCD music player. I can't work out why. The person that did the audio for the kernel told me about what the settings used for the broadcom blob, which I set Linux up to do. It was still different. So weird.
Still really, really glad I got the DAC. Unfortunately the Pis are sitting on top of the scanner. I've got the schematic for the preamp here. It is however easily attainable on the web.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I took a few minutes today to see whether the wheel I picked up for the trailer fit it. It does! It even has the correct centrebore which the others dont. The stupid thing finally has a spare. While the wheel was jacked up it became apparent the wheel bearing was loose. Not exactly shocking. I had to cobble poo poo together 7 or 8 years ago to keep the trailer working and the universe has gotten in my way.
So loose wheel bearing. No big deal, right? While I was in there I noticed the spindle had been rubbing on the inside of the cap in a non trivial way, and that the castle nut was wound so far in that the split pin was barely engaging it. Never have I seen a bearing so worn that hasn't exploded into a million pieces. Guess it'll be getting new bearings.
I really need to take some photos of select parts of the trailer to get some advice. The trailer is like a dream. No, not unbelievably nice. Made of aspects which a trailer should consist, yet put together in an incoherent manner which is indicative of a lack of critical thought processes.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Archive repellent post.
It's been a poo poo of a year to put it mildly.

If / when I can remember I'll put the previous stuff up. Just the recent things for now.

The Jeep:
It's been sitting for a while. Registration ran out. I set about cleaning it inside and out, repairing what I could and taking it for a check. It failed spectacularly!
I don't have the list in front of me but I remember some of it.
It needs:
*New wiper blades. They were new but my son tore them off. Thanks for that.
*New windshield. There's a pair of chips where something hit ages ago. Not even in line of sight.
*Transmission pan gasket. Fair enough. I noticed it was starting to leak.
*Rear main seal. Apparently it has a bad leak. When the hell did that happen? It uses very little oil for it's mileage. Going to check for myself.
*Lots of bushings on the front and rear suspension.

Probably other things too. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth. No sugar coating it. I'm broke. There's some expensive repairs there and not much time to do them before it needs a blue slip. That's a more thorough inspection given to vehicles unregistered for more than three months or being re registered coming from another state.

The Jeep looks about the best it ever has too. Such a shame. Did I mention my son also broke the rear wiper arm off? That was the day I discovered they use a special snowflake cylindrical spine setup that looks like it was cast over a standard tapered spline setup after having the threaded bit machined off. What the gently caress C(h)ryCo?

The Rav4:
It's doing okay I guess. Pretty much incontinent with oil. 5th still doesn't stay in unless I keep my hand on it. The weather has cooled down a bit and on startup I hear the godawful screech of cranky pulley bearings. I don't know where it's coming from but my spidey sense and my unwilling adherence to Murphy's Law says it's coming from within the timing cover.
It has however been serving me well. Regularly getting 600+km put on it in a day. I am so loving sick of driving. Always to fairly narrow deadlines.

The Niva:
Well...er. It's being the Niva. That goddamn expensive radiator has started to leak in the exact same spot as the old radiator on the seam for the top tank. Blyat.

I accidentally broke one of the latches that holds the back of the back seat in place. Luckily I had one of the originals from when I accidentally broke one last time.

A blade of grass poked out from the gutter near the firewall where the bonnet (hood) sits. As soon as I saw it I pulled off the buffer rubber and was greeted by some locally made soil made by a Russian farmer. And of course rust. Lumpy lumpy rust along most of the width of the vehicle.
So I sanded it halfheartedly, treated it and put a couple of coats of zinc paint on it rather poorly.

The rear arches kept cutting tread blocks so I decided to "fix" the issue. Ever so carefully beating the poo poo out of it with a hand sledge for half an hour to roll the sharp lip up. All the paint that flaked off was also replaced with zinc paint.

After dropping off the Jeep for the ill fated inspection I had a look at an exhaust leak on the Niva I'd spied earlier that morning. There was a nice little hole in the tailpipe and a hole in the rear muffler. A wire brush revealed a whole lot of holes in the rear muffler along the back edge of the bottom. Weirdest drat thing. The metal around the holes wasn't rusty on either the tailpipe or the muffler.
The tailpipe can come off so the repair was easy. The muffler is stuck tight so it has a good few hundred grams of cocky poo poo welds stuck to the underside where I was chasing around and building up blowthroughs on the lovely paper thin metal.

While I was there I did something really loving dumb. I tried to build up the edge of one of the upper longitudinal arms bolt holes because it has been flogged out and is out of round making for some diff torquing and a nasty clunk. I sort of did it but I've hosed the thread on the bolt pretty thoroughly putting it back in.

The voltage while running is still mysteriously unstable. When I have two roubles to rub together, or more like $20-$30 I'll buy it a new earth strap for the battery. If that doesn't work I'm officially out of ideas.

Speaking of batteries, I've been practising car battery necromancy. I was lucky enough to pick up an old "BOSS" brand commercial battery charger. IIRC it does up to 25A for 6 to 12v batteries, and 15A for 24 and 32(?)V batteries. It can force more amps in but the instructions on it say not to.
Forcing a decent bit of power into a wrecked battery I'm guessing de-sulfates the plates a bit. They seem to take and hold a charge better after doing that.

• Locked thread