Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Nerds?!??! In security hardware/software?!??!!!

That was a really good article and I might even suggest your site as a read for new sales guys or tech support. I've a few others I've mentioned to people who've asked, though I'm not a trainer or anything. I just talk a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

So, I work for a PI company and we're trying to set up some remote hidden cameras for various cases. We've gotten successful results using ~$40 IP cameras and a ~$50 NVR like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Escam-Channel-Portable-Network-Recorder/dp/B00M2SVLOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422375275&sr=8-1&keywords=nvr+escam

Problem is, the cameras and NVR like to die out of nowhere. We've gone through 3 cameras and 2 NVRs so far. Fortunately they were within Amazon's return period so we've just exchanged them, but there's got to be a better product out there. It's also a pain in the dick that we have to "backup" the video off of the hard drive via the NVR software as it's not in a regular NTFS/FAT structure or .avi/.mp4/whatever.

We're running them off of a deep cycle marine battery due to where they are being placed so low power consumption is a plus. I did also talk with a local security camera company who showed me a similar system that is operated off of a small form factor PC running some specialized software for recording and motion sensing which looked slick as hell, but at roughly $1500 for the essentials it is well outside of our budget for this as there is a non-zero chance of the camera and NVR being discovered and stolen.

Looking at even the ~$100-200 NVR/DVRs they all seem to be basically the same thing as the $50 ones, just in a better case or with a larger channel capacity. Are there other options out there I should be looking at without dropping $500+ on the NVR/DVR? We probably only need 4 channels recording at a time, most frequently only one is necessary.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 27, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Nerds?!??! In security hardware/software?!??!!!

That was a really good article and I might even suggest your site as a read for new sales guys or tech support. I've a few others I've mentioned to people who've asked, though I'm not a trainer or anything. I just talk a lot.

Thanks, I really appreciate this. I'd be happy to take requests on subjects to cover more in depth.

charliebravo77 posted:

So, I work for a PI company and we're trying to set up some remote hidden cameras for various cases. We've gotten successful results using ~$40 IP cameras and a ~$50 NVR like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Escam-Channel-Portable-Network-Recorder/dp/B00M2SVLOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422375275&sr=8-1&keywords=nvr+escam

Problem is, the cameras and NVR like to die out of nowhere. We've gone through 3 cameras and 2 NVRs so far. Fortunately they were within Amazon's return period so we've just exchanged them, but there's got to be a better product out there. It's also a pain in the dick that we have to "backup" the video off of the hard drive via the NVR software as it's not in a regular NTFS/FAT structure or .avi/.mp4/whatever.

We're running them off of a deep cycle marine battery due to where they are being placed so low power consumption is a plus. I did also talk with a local security camera company who showed me a similar system that is operated off of a small form factor PC running some specialized software for recording and motion sensing which looked slick as hell, but at roughly $1500 for the essentials it is well outside of our budget for this as there is a non-zero chance of the camera and NVR being discovered and stolen.

Looking at even the ~$100-200 NVR/DVRs they all seem to be basically the same thing as the $50 ones, just in a better case or with a larger channel capacity. Are there other options out there I should be looking at without dropping $500+ on the NVR/DVR? We probably only need 4 channels recording at a time, most frequently only one is necessary.

Your price range is a little out of my expertise. Maybe one of the other posters in here has some idea. Have you looked at an Intel NUC or similar with some software? If you don't need to record for a long time, you could potentially use SD cards, as well.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KillHour posted:

Thanks, I really appreciate this. I'd be happy to take requests on subjects to cover more in depth.

Yeah man, if I see a question getting asked a lot I'll mention it here. The past few have been pretty interesting, especially since I'm so much on the software side that it's neat to learn about the actual camera hardware and how it interacts with the environment. I hardly ever get to see that stuff in the QA department, unless the problem is 100% not software related at all.. at which point it's just an RMA and I stop caring so I can move on to the next thing. So I'll definitely let you know, because they've been well written.

Even though you don't sell our product :colbert:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can sell whatever I want. Tell me why your product is so good, and I'll sell it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

KillHour posted:

I can sell whatever I want. Tell me why your product is so good, and I'll sell it. :colbert:

Fair enough, I'm nowhere near involved in sales, but I'll PM you if you want. I think it's a decent product!

• Locked thread